PDA

View Full Version : Minis question (as in where to get them)

Dragonus45
2008-12-19, 12:56 PM
Lately I've been buying up mini booster packs so i can use more minis in my games, but i can never seem to get the basic monsters. I have no problem getting lots of stronger monsters, but i doubt I'll ever send more than one or two of those my players way. Does anyone know of a site that sells things like goblins, kobolds, orcs and other common monsters en mass.

Person_Man
2008-12-19, 01:02 PM
E-Bay. Troll around long enough, and you'll find people selling huge batches of minis for cheap. Usually its a mom or former collector whose just sick of them sitting around the house. You just can't be picky about what you get.

Failing that, I've found that Heroscape has a great mix of minis and stackable terrain. The only down side is that the minis are a bit bigger then the standard scale, so the rest of my collection seems tiny compared to them. Again, you can find used sets for cheap on E-Bay.

Dragonus45
2008-12-19, 01:32 PM
Thanks, that's what im up too right now, i was just hoping that somewhere there might be a site for DMs looking for the common monster.

overduegalaxy
2008-12-19, 02:27 PM
If you've got a local game shop, check there. Mine sells opened DDi minis for damn cheap. I got five (adorable) kobolds and a pig farmer for a dollar last week.

PurinaDragonCho
2008-12-19, 02:50 PM
I tried to do that for a while. But the best thing I ever did was get a bunch of poker chips and number them with a Sharpie. The PCs still use minis that generally look like their characters, but they use their imagination on the monsters. Best thing about it? It's SO EASY to keep track of which ones are damaged and how much. "Oh, you hit goblin number 7 for 4 points?" Three turns later, after they move all around the board, I still know which one is number 7.

I have three different colors, just in case there are different types of badguys. And I generally use minis for unique badguys.

Zocelot
2008-12-19, 02:51 PM
I frequent the WotC miniature forum, and it is generally agreed that Auggies (http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/StoreFront) is the best store to buy. It's cheaper than Ebay, and I can personally vouch for the quality.

Nearly every common is under $0.50, and uncommons are under $1.

vanyell
2008-12-19, 02:59 PM
if you're looking to get them en-masse, might I suggest a base set of warhammer fantasy?

60 odd goblins plus some dwarves and some decent scenery for 40-50 bucks on Ebay

Thurbane
2008-12-19, 10:06 PM
I'm lucky in that my FLGS often breaks booster packs (including older ones) a has big boxes of individual minis to sift through. I dislike purchasing online, especially with the current weakness of the $AUD.