PDA

View Full Version : Need [3.5] Water Spells! Please!

Elder Brain
2008-12-21, 07:33 PM
I am working on a Water-Mage (don't worry, that's not the actual class name :smallbiggrin:) and I have almost finished it, except one major problem: It's a Primary Spellcaster (Divine), but, the spell list is so small it makes a puddle look like Lake Michigan. I've searched every Sourcebook I could lay my hands on (getting most of my stuff from Stormwrack) and I need ideas.

Like I said, I really need help, or at least ideas. Pretty much any Water Spell would work.

paddyfool
2008-12-21, 07:43 PM
Water stuff could come under several categories:

Spells to make you or your allies better in water (Water Walk & Water Breathing for starters, but you could also have a spell that, say, gave you the equivalent of the Submariner's super strength while submerged or shortly after)

Spells to create or control water & watery weather systems.

Spells to specifically control water & general fluids within an opponent (freeze or boil the blood, make it burst out of the lungs, or make it run slower/faster)

Spells to change the characteristics of things so that they become closer to water, probably mainly for battlefield control or other utility (converting a stone wall to runny sludge; converting solid earth to quicksand)

Spells to change the characteristics of water for battlefield control or other utility (to immobilise opponents in water, grant concealment in water, blind opponents in water, etc.)

Spells to change your characteristics to make you more water-y (limited polymorph/shapechange of some kind)

Spells to summon/control water elementals and creatures with the aquatic subtype.

Spells to contaminate or clean water (with regards to poisons & diseases)

That's about it, I think...

thegurullamen
2008-12-21, 07:49 PM
If you're especially hard up, I suggest either homebrewing or just reflavoring certain spells. Homebrewing can be fun, but you have all you need already in front of you if you go the latter route. Hold Person can be retooled as summoning a specialized water elemental that engulfs them, preventing movement. Teleport can become Water Stride, requiring a large enough body of water to work.

merrja666
2008-12-22, 06:38 AM
Like the Sandshaping ability, how about a water-shaping one?

Ice spells and some Air spells can be used, as can some weather-changing ones. Just give them the [Water] Subtype.

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-22, 09:16 AM
Hold person and Dominate person could both be reflavored as manipulating the water in their blood, ala avatar.

Actually, avatar is probably a pretty good place to look for inspiration.

Obscuring mist could be done with steam, and most any ice spell already uses a form of water.

Athaniar
2008-12-22, 03:50 PM
Also of note is that frost/ice/cold is generally associated with the element of water (ever since the old greeks, if not earlier).

Neithan
2008-12-22, 04:50 PM
Oriental Adventures has Water Shugenjas. Their spells are mostly PHB spells, but it might be a guideline what spells could be adapted as "watery" spells.

Elder Brain
2008-12-25, 08:02 PM
Good thinking guys. That'll help a lot. The Class was underpowered without the more useful Spells (I think the highlight of the spell list was water to acid from Stromwrack), and lacked above-air stuff. Thanks a lot.