PDA

View Full Version : I Am The... [3.5e PrC]

Aergoth
2008-12-22, 06:05 PM
Notorious Criminal

The Baron offers 500 Gold Pieces for the Capture of the masked bandit known as the Sword Spirit. Dead or alive!

Everyone knows the type, they're on poorly drawn wanted posters all over the countryside. Bounties are offered for them, usually dead or alive. The criminal of renown, the kind of criminal common pickpockets aspire to be, whether they be the ringleader of a band of thieves or a solitary highwayman.

Becoming a Notorious Criminal
The first step for any aspiring member of this class is achieving notoriety. Robberies, daring escapes and general mayhem are excellent ways of achieving this. Aquiring a following among common folk, or at least infamy in one or more townships qualifies a character to become a notorious criminal. Rogues make excellent notorious criminals, be it for theivery or murder, as do less than virtuous bards and other classes with a good charisma score. Rangers with a diplomatic or similar bent make excellent highwaymen and Urban Rangers with a lawless streak might take to infamy as second storey men.

Entry Requirements
Reputation: Must have a reputation of +3 or better of performing criminal acts.
Alignment: Non-good, Non-lawful
Skills: Intimidate, Bluff or Diplomacy: 8 Ranks,
Base Attack Bonus: +3

Class Skills
The Notorious Criminal's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb(Str) Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy(Cha), Disable Device(Int), Disguise(Cha), Escape Artist(Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide(Dex), Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge(Local)(Int), Knowledge(Geography)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride(Dex), Search(Int), Spot (Wis), Survival(Wis), Tumble(Dex)
Skills Points at Each Level: 8 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Infamy, Dirty Fighter, Slippery as a Fish

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Great Renown, Dirty Fighter (+1d6)

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Criminal Mind, Dirty Fighter (+2d6,+1)

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|A Dishonest Man, Dirty Fighter (+3d6, +2)

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Uncanny Luck, Dirty Fighter (+4d6, +3)

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|"Honor" Among Thieves, Bonus Feat
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Notorious Criminal gains proficiency with light armor, light shields, simple weapons, saps and three martial weapons of their choice if they did not have them before.

Infamy(Ex): A Notorious Criminal adds their Notorious Criminal level to their reputation score, when dealing with people in their recognizable criminal persona (if applicable). In addition, a Notorious Criminal gains a +1 bonus to Diplomacy to alter NPCs feelings towards you (but not beyond indifferent, and not from hostile) and Intimidate checks for every two level of Notorious Criminal when dealing with a person who knows of their reputation.

Dirty Fighter(Ex): A Notorious Criminal is not bound by the rules of normal combat, and is usually accustomed to fighting in an underhanded manner. A Notorious Criminal takes no penalty to damage when fighting with an improvised weapon, and a -2 penalty for attack rolls. Furthermore, beginning at the third level and increasing at every other level afterwards, a Notorious Criminal does an extra 1d6 damage when outnumbered or flanked on an attack. This damage stacks with abilities like Skirmish, Death Attack and the Rogue's Sneak attack. Beginning at the 5th level and increasing at every other level afterwards, the Notorious Criminal gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC, because of their proficiency in avoiding or blocking blows. This ability does not function if the Notorious Criminal is flat-footed or otherwise unable to apply their dexterity to their AC.

Slippery as a Fish(Ex): A Notorious Criminal is usually required to escape from the custody of would-be captors at least once in their careers and usually make a point of learning how to escape bonds. A Notorious Criminal gains a +1 bonus to Escape Artist checks for every two levels of Notorious Criminal.

Bonus Feat: A Notorious Criminal gains an additional feat every even-numbered level from the following list: Agile, Alertness, Persuasive, Improved Unarmed Strike, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Stealthy, Toughness, Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Self-Sufficient and Point Blank Shot. They must meet all the prerequisites for the feat selected.

Great Renown(Ex): At the third level a Notorious Criminal gains the benefits of the 'Renown' Feat (+3 Reputation Points). In addition, the Notorious Criminal gains a +1 Bonus on Gather Information checks for every other level beyond the third.

A Dishonest Man(Ex): A Notorious Criminal is well acustomed to making threats or bluffing other people. They gain a +1 bonus for every two levels of Notorious criminal they have to bluff checks except those made to feint.

Criminal Mind(Ex): A Notorious Criminal is so accustomed to thinking deviously that thier mind can wriggle out of even the most cunningly devised traps. A Notorious Criminal gains a +2 bonus to checks made to resist enchantment.

Uncanny Luck(Su): A Notorious Criminal usually requires some great deal of fortune to remain alive for any length of time, because skill doesn't always cut it. A Notorious Criminal perform any one of the following actions once per day:
*Negate a critical hit
*Turn lethal damage into non-lethal damage
*Re-roll a saving throw
*Re-roll a roll made to determine a critical.
This use must be declared before the roll is made (either opposing or their own).

"Honour" Among Thieves(Ex): At the tenth level, a Notorious Criminal acquires prestige and can attract followers (but not cohorts) as though they had the leadership feat. These followers will all be criminals of at least one alignment step away from the Notorious Criminal's alignment, and causing the death of followers is worth -2 leadership points but otherwise this functions as the feat does normally.

Weapon Proficiencies: A Notorious Criminal gains proficiency with light armor, light shields, simple weapons, saps and three martial weapons of their choice if they did not have them before.

Playing a Notorious Criminal
The Notorious Criminal is designed for smaller parties, or single adventurers. They rellish in things that would bring them fame, fear or glory.
Combat: A properly equipped Notorious Criminal will usually prefer fighting two or three enemies at once. Their Dirty Fighting class ability allows them to deal extra damage while outnumbered, and their Uncanny Luck ability allows them to avoid what might otherwise be a fatal wound.
Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: Notorious Criminals take what they can get. They rob, mug, steal and kill for profit, and this is usually their ownly source of income.

Notorious Criminals in the World
Robbed me flat out he did sir, and cut down the constable what came to help me.

Daily Life: The criminal known by most as the "Sword Spirit" wakes every morning, and climbs a tree to observe the traffic comming out of the nearby city. He then lays in wait on the low pass through the forest along the coach road, and robs passing carriages. When the local traffic is slow, he takes to moving into town in his guise as a common person to see what the bother is all about.
Notables: Some of the more famous criminals include The Bolt, a bandit who robbed high-speed carriages carrying money from banks or churches and then made off with the horses, and Eric of Thell, who once killed a posse of 12 men sent against him and his band of four. Both were eventually brought to justice.
Organizations: Notorious Criminals usually form their own organizations rather than join existing ones. Assassin's and Thieves' guilds do not look kindly at members that have a flashy reputation that is widely known, and existing criminal organizations are similarly disillusioned by potential members with such infamy.

NPC Reaction
Fear, numbing fear is usually associated with Notorious Criminals. These are men and women who kill and steal for a living. They have fame, or rather infamy, as a result, and usually very little in the way of moral scruples.
Notorious Criminals in the Game
The Notorious Criminal makes throwing large mobs of enemies at the party questionable. To offset the Dirty Fighting ability that grants an AC Bonus and a damage bonus, the group either has to be absurdly large, overpowered or both. Recommended is adding a single higher-than-average NPC to fight the Notorious Criminal or using things like caltrops and tanglefoot bags to immobilize PC Notorious Criminals, and deprive them of their bonuses.
Adaptation: The notorious criminal works well in any system that allows for bonuses by reputation, regardless of weapons. In Eberron, the Notorious Criminal easily becomes a magically aided criminal robbing lightning trains, or a dinosaur mounted highwayman intercepting the PCs en route to their next adventure.
Encounters: The Notorious Criminal is never a penultimate schemer, or even a lieutenant-type lackey. The Notorious criminal is best encountered between major adventures to allow some simple fighting, and a lull in tension. Notorious Criminals can appear anywhere the PCs go. Interplanar thieves and murderers, to simple highwaymen and robbers of infamous detail,

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL 8: The Sword Spirit is a notorious highwayman who robs travellers moving through a large forest. The forest is too large to simply avoid, and the only coach road in the area moves through it from the city to the mountains and back, often carrying precious gems.

The Sword Spirit
CN Human Rogue/Notorious Criminal, Level 8, Init +3, HP 52/52, Speed 30 ft
AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
Wounding, Speed, Rapier +1 +10/+5 (1d6, 18-20x2)
Seeking, Flaming Shortbow (Arrows (20)) +10/+5 (1d6, x3)
Glamered, Light Fortification Leather Armor +3 (+8 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

Kroy
2008-12-22, 08:52 PM
Nothing much to say. I think fighting with no penalty to improvised weapons is little overpowered. An improvised weapon is never going to be as easy to use as a normal one.

BTW, you have to bold the special abilities.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-22, 09:09 PM
You didn't describe what Honor among theives does. Was that a mistake, or are you doing that later?

Aergoth
2008-12-22, 09:36 PM
You didn't describe what Honor among theives does. Was that a mistake, or are you doing that later?
I accidentally merged Honor Among Thieves with Great Renown. I'm going to switch up the levels you get those at anyways, and make sure Honor Among Thieves is described

Nothing much to say. I think fighting with no penalty to improvised weapons is little overpowered. An improvised weapon is never going to be as easy to use as a normal one.

I think if you get used to the idea of it, a club is a club. And some of the weapons you can improvise are actually more damaging, or at least more painful, than a normal weapon. Getting knifed with a dagger? Ouch. Getting knifed with a broken bottle? Or a busted chair leg? Stab and twist. I'll throw the attack roll to -2 but the damage roll I'm going to not penalize I think. I get what you're getting at. A chair leg or a hammer wouldn't be well weighted or suited for that particular purpose. It'd hurt though.

kopout
2008-12-22, 10:06 PM
I disagree with Non-good as a requirement. Robin hood was CG by most accounts and he would fit perfectly.

I think if you get used to the idea of it, a club is a club. And some of the weapons you can improvise are actually more damaging, or at least more painful, than a normal weapon. Getting knifed with a dagger? Ouch. Getting knifed with a broken bottle? Or a busted chair leg? Stab and twist. I'll throw the attack roll to -2 but the damage roll I'm going to not penalize I think. I get what you're getting at. A chair leg or a hammer wouldn't be well weighted or suited for that particular purpose. It'd hurt though.
I have home brewed up a feet that is called Improvised weapons proficiency and it is just that, a feet that makes you proficient with improv weaponry. I have also seen it echoed in concept many times. It seems to arise naturally and independently .

Aergoth
2008-12-22, 10:18 PM
I disagree with Non-good as a requirement. Robin hood was CG by most accounts and he would fit perfectly.
This class is for the non-good criminals. I plan on brewing another aimed soley at good-guys. This is your basic hold-up, bank-robbery style character. They're murderers and highwaymen, robbers and thieves with naught a care but for themselves. It's why I put the alignment there in the first place. Robin Hood might have kicked people in the nads, but he didn't fit the flavour of this. Robin Hood has a much in common with Batman as he does with a highwayman. What Batman does is geographically illegal, but he does it for the greater good. A Notorious Criminal would be Long John Silver, (who is actually a Dread Pirate) or the Riddler, or your typical cowboy villan. This is all for personal gain. I could add that, but the flavour and a few of the skills will be different for the good version.

Telonius
2008-12-23, 04:25 PM
Uncanny Luck(Su): A Notorious Criminal usually requires some great deal of fortune to remain alive for any length of time, because skill doesn't always cut it. A Notorious Criminal perform any of the following actions once per day:
*Negate a critical hit
*Turn lethal damage into non-lethal damage
*Re-roll a saving throw
*Re-roll a roll made to determine a critical.
This use must be declared before the roll is made (either opposing or their own).

Does this mean that the NC can do all of the actions on the list once per day, or any one of the actions once per day? (Neither would be overpowered, but it sounds at least a little bit unclear).

AsuroftheStair
2008-12-23, 04:54 PM
I like the flavor, especially how this class's power just naturally crescendos at tenth level.
My one confusion was on the AC bonus; wouldn't avoiding blows be more akin to a Dodge bonus?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-12-23, 05:43 PM
Where does the reputation part come in? Did you fuse the Star Wars d20 RPG with 3.5?

PairO'Dice Lost
2008-12-23, 09:47 PM
Where does the reputation part come in? Did you fuse the Star Wars d20 RPG with 3.5?

Reputation is a variant in Unearthed Arcana; it's not only in the Star Wars games. You can take a look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/reputation.htm).

Aergoth
2008-12-26, 03:28 PM
Does this mean that the NC can do all of the actions on the list once per day, or any one of the actions once per day? (Neither would be overpowered, but it sounds at least a little bit unclear).
It was originally intended to be the later, you can use one (1) of the actions once per day, but I might want a progression.

I like the flavor, especially how this class's power just naturally crescendos at tenth level.
My one confusion was on the AC bonus; wouldn't avoiding blows be more akin to a Dodge bonus?
The natural AC bonus just seemed more likely. They're toughened criminals, but I can see where that is a problem. I'll need to either change the flavor or change the bonus... Which would make more sense? Thanks though.

ZeroNumerous
2008-12-26, 03:34 PM

Drunken Master can use any item he can hold as an improvised weapon with no penalty.

Flickerdart
2008-12-26, 03:36 PM
Dirty Fighting seems to be precision damage, and as such wouldn't apply against things like constructs or undead, no? You can't exactly kick a golem in the cojones.

Aergoth
2008-12-26, 04:17 PM
Dirty Fighting seems to be precision damage, and as such wouldn't apply against things like constructs or undead, no? You can't exactly kick a golem in the cojones.

True enough. I'll fix that up.

Drunken Master can use any item he can hold as an improvised weapon with no penalty.

Well, the drunken master has a secret weapon. Booze.