PDA

View Full Version : duelist (4e)

samurai
2008-12-23, 03:02 PM
I thought about the rogue's paragon classes and realized that there was no flashy, charismatic rogue like robin hood so it inspired me to make this class

Duelist
“You’re armor is nothing but a burden to you, I am a duelist peerless warrior with the rapier”
Perquisite: Rogue class, proficiency with rapier, trained in acrobatics

You are one with you’re rapier, capable of finding the weakness in any armor. Some call you arrogant and others say that you are a warrior without equal, but despite all these attitudes only the foolish don’t respect you.

Duelist’s action(11th level): You can spend a spend a action point to reroll one attack roll or damage roll using a rapier instead of taking an extra action.
Rapier Precision (11th level): You score critical hits with rapier on a roll of 18-20
Duelist’s style (16th level): When you score a critical hit with a rapier, you gain a bonus to your AC equal to half your charisma for the rest of your turn.

Duelist Exploits

Graceful strike Duelist strike 11
You strike with unparallel grace; catching you’re opponent off guard and making him more vulnerable to you’re attacks
Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Requirement: must be wielding a rapier
Target: one creature
Attack: Dexterity V AC-your half charisma modifier
Hit: 1 [W] damage, the target grants combat advantage for one round

Flawless Parry Duelist utility 12-
Flawlessly you deflect you’re opponent’s blow, make him realize what a mistake he’s made to fight you
Daily Martial,
Immediate Interrupt Personal

Trigger- an adjacent enemy makes a melee attack against you,
Special: If you’re granting combat advantage you can’t use this power

Effect: gain + you’re charisma modifier to your AC. If the attacker misses, you can move up to half your score in acrobatics in squares.

Coup De Grace Duelist strike 20:
The deadliest technique the duelist has, that utterly destroys you’re opponent
Daily, Marital, Weapon
Standard action
Requirement- must be wielding a rapier
Target: one creature
Attack: Dexterity V AC-you’re charisma modifier
Hit: 2[W] damage and the target is dazed for 2 turns

I edited the class so it isn't so over powered

notable changes

I halved the bonus you get on duelist style and reduced the duration
I toned down the damage on graceful strike to 1[W] and halved the AC penalty
I took away the dexterity bonus on flawless parry and made so it can't be used while your granting combat advantage
I reduced the damage on coup de grace by 1, took away the ongoing AC penalty but kept the intial AC penalty because I wanted to keep wit the flavor of the class and didn't want to water it down too much

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-12-23, 04:21 PM
Lol, this makes me think of my own Dashing Swordsman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=51708) PP.

This class seems enormously powerful. Like, uber-powered. Especially the powers.

I like Duelist's Action, I actually think that's good and balanced. Rapier Precision is also very nice. Duelist's style, I'm not sure. Your Charisma modifier gets to be fairly beefy at Paragon Tier. If I'm not mistaken, you can be looking at +3 or +4. That sort of bonus, one out of 10 attacks, is pretty darn nice.

I can tell you straight off that Graceful Strike is probably one of the most powerful attacks that I've seen. Basically, you're making a Dex + Cha attack. That's +7 on the attribute bonuses alone. +12 with half your level, then +15 for the weapon, along with any bonuses you get for magic weapons. I almost wanna say you should drop down the damage to 1[W] for balance.

Flawless Parry is very powerful as well. That's a really hefty AC bonus, even for a Daily. The movement thing is also far too much. It should be "You may shift up to half your movement". That's the standard Tumble reading, and I think that's appropriate.

Coup de Grace really is a coup de grace. Another Dex + Cha attack is huge. Then, the stuff that it piles on along with that is just deadly. Use Graceful Strike after this, and that's just wrong.

To sum up, the effects on these powers need to be scaled down. I like the flavor of the effects, though.

Mando Knight
2008-12-23, 05:42 PM
That's a really hefty AC bonus, even for a Daily.

Indeed. A -4 no-save penalty to AC is an effect even Tiamat can't whip out (hers is a -4 with save, although it also gets a little bit of Ongoing Damage on top of that), and a decently optimized Rogue using this PP can pull it off before even being able to challenge her.

Grammatical nitpick: switch all of your "you're" to "your." The contraction "you're" is from "you are," while "your" is the possessive. Trust me, it makes it easier to read.

samurai
2008-12-24, 11:03 AM
o.k very good critiques first off ,

Before I start editing I wanted to let people who are reading this know what the general idea behind this class is, I envisioned this class as a charismatic, swordsman who uses skill with the rapier rather than heavy armor to win a battle.

Allright now to fix it....

"Duelist's style, I'm not sure. Your Charisma modifier gets to be fairly beefy at Paragon Tier. If I'm not mistaken, you can be looking at +3 or +4. That sort of bonus, one out of 10 attacks, is pretty darn nice."[QUOTE]

I could half the charisma modifier.

[QUOTE=CarpeGuitarrem;5530190]"I can tell you straight off that Graceful Strike is probably one of the most powerful attacks that I've seen. Basically, you're making a Dex + Cha attack. That's +7 on the attribute bonuses alone. +12 with half your level, then +15 for the weapon, along with any bonuses you get for magic weapons. I almost wanna say you should drop down the damage to 1[W] for balance."

ok that can easily be done

"Flawless Parry is very powerful as well. That's a really hefty AC bonus, even for a Daily. The movement thing is also far too much. It should be "You may shift up to half your movement". That's the standard Tumble reading, and I think that's appropriate."'

that sounds like a good idea on the tumble part of the power, maybe I could make the AC bonus half the charisma modifier.

"Coup de Grace really is a coup de grace. Another Dex + Cha attack is huge. Then, the stuff that it piles on along with that is just deadly. Use Graceful Strike after this, and that's just wrong."

maybe I could tone down the damage to 2[W] and take off dazed and add a -1 to the charisma effects.

Finally I wanted to add that I forgot to say that none of the powers stack

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-24, 11:45 AM
You also have "for one round" in there in a few places. It makes a rather huge difference whether its "until the end of your next turn", "until the start of your next turn" or "until the end of the target's next turn". It needs to be specified.

Also, they came out with a Swashbuckler in Martial Power that is a charisma-based rapier-wielding duelist. They are more focused on being a pain in the back than a pin-point swordsman though, so I think this path still has a unique flavour.

samurai
2008-12-24, 12:20 PM
Very good suggestions I'll edit the class but won't be able to post for awhile after christmas because I'll be on vacation