PDA

View Full Version : DDr Vs Guitar Hero

DarkGary
2008-12-30, 02:40 PM
DDR a workout, fun, the songs a good length. Guitar Hero (All of them) takes no talent, has nothing to do with guitar, songs way to ****ing long. What do you guys think?

mathemagician
2008-12-30, 02:57 PM
I think people are more likely to like Guitar Hero songs. I think DDR songs are rather short, actually, always have. As for talent, maybe you and I have a different definition of talent? I would equate "Expert" guitar hero and "Heavy" DDR, in terms of talent. (Is that how the highest difficulty was called? Been about 6 years since my DDR addiction..) DDR is about learning patterns with your feet, Guitar Hero with your fingers. Sure, DDR has the "workout factor," but Guitar Hero has the "I look less like a dork when I play this" factor, I feel. Perhaps I'll say it this way, my family is willing to play Guitar Hero, but none of them would step onto the DDR mat :)

valadil
2008-12-30, 03:08 PM
I enjoy both but prefer Guitar Hero because the songs are closer to what I listen to when I'm not gaming. DDR had way too many songs that I wouldn't play because they hurt to listen to.

I'll agree that DDR takes more skill, but saying GH takes no talent is hardly fair. And even if GH has nothing to do with guitar, DDR has just as little to do with real dancing.

Rutskarn
2008-12-30, 03:20 PM
DDR songs fill my soul with exquisite, screaming agony. Were I to extricate a DDR disc from a console and snap it in two, treacle, sunshine, and sugar-and-sake smelling vomit would ooze out. Participating in the airing of these foul songs, even within the context of a game, does violence to my conscience.

I can't play it, either.

Guitar Hero is pretty good. I'll go with that.

Tirian
2008-12-30, 03:46 PM
I think that a lot of the complaints that people have about DDR would be avoided if they switched over to StepMania, where you can use your own music and freely share stepfiles.

I also say that dancing is useful and not just fun, being aerobic exercise and improving one's foot-eye coordination. Maybe the guitar work gets more interesting when one is better at it than I am, because I agree that the fingering is repetitive over the course of the very long songs. But I can't imagine that being the world's best fake guitar player prepares you for anything else in the world (although the drum playing is arguably a transferable skill).

valadil
2008-12-30, 04:30 PM
I think that a lot of the complaints that people have about DDR would be avoided if they switched over to StepMania, where you can use your own music and freely share stepfiles.

I did a lot of StepMania way back when and found that a majority of the songs were just like DDR ones, but with worse steps. This was back in 03/04. Has it gotten better? I'm much too lazy to do my own steps for songs.

averagejoe
2008-12-30, 04:35 PM
(although the drum playing is arguably a transferable skill).

My sister (who knows much more about music than I do, majored in music, plays a million instruments, etc.) tells me that it actually does simulate actual drumming pretty well, which is why she likes drumming on that game. Apparently you can buy an actual electric drum that will plug into the game but also function as an electric drum.

Narmoth
2008-12-30, 05:25 PM
Or, you know, you could learn playing real instruments and learn to dance, with you know, other people.
Seriously, people, this isn't high fantasy or anything. Why not just go for the real thing?

Flame of Anor
2008-12-30, 05:41 PM
I like DDR better. It has better exercise, and it's more fun. Plus, it doesn't have to be stupid when it's in the easy stages, like Guitar Hero does.

MisterSaturnine
2008-12-30, 05:54 PM
Or, you know, you could learn playing real instruments and learn to dance, with you know, other people.
Seriously, people, this isn't high fantasy or anything. Why not just go for the real thing?

Because actually learning an instrument (or learning to dance) can be much more expensive if you're paying for lessons, as well as a serious time investment. Learning to play an instrument or learning to dance is also difficult. The point of Guitar Hero/DDR isn't to learn how to play an instrument or to dance, it's to have fun. I myself play the piano, but it's taken me over a decade to get to where I am now. If your goal is to learn how to play the guitar or learn how to dance, clearly playing a game is not the way to go about it. Fortunately, people who play Guitar Hero and DDR likely aren't doing it to learn how to dance or to play the guitar.

Berserk Monk
2008-12-30, 05:57 PM
Personally, I prefer Prance Prance Revolution:smallbiggrin:

Vespe Ratavo
2008-12-30, 06:03 PM
DDR a workout
Yes, but riding a bike, jogging, or lifting weights is much more so, and you don't have to listen to horrible music.

fun
That's a matter of opinion.

the songs a good length
Eh.

Guitar Hero (All of them) takes no talent
I'd like to see you try this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BplIrU1Sdtc) By the way, that's a bot playing that.

has nothing to do with guitar
And DDR has nothing to do with dancing.

songs way to ****ing long
Song length is variable. A few minutes shouldn't be "way too ****ing long" for anybody.

Ultimately, I'll take Guitar Hero over DDR anyway. I'm not trying to really learn how to play guitar, it's just fun.
*leaves thread before the horrible flaming starts*

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-30, 06:08 PM
DDR a workout, fun, the songs a good length. Guitar Hero (All of them) takes no talent, has nothing to do with guitar, songs way to ****ing long. What do you guys think?

This should probably be in the gaming forum.

Tirian
2008-12-30, 06:26 PM
I did a lot of StepMania way back when and found that a majority of the songs were just like DDR ones, but with worse steps. This was back in 03/04. Has it gotten better? I'm much too lazy to do my own steps for songs.

To be honest, I don't know. I've never bothered with it myself, since I like J-pop just fine. *giggle* I suppose I've labored under the assumption that if ten people all wanted to step to Aerosmith or whatever, they'd each do one song and then share the compiled work between them, but perhaps it never worked out that way in real life.

And, sheesh guys, DDR isn't competing with dancing. It is competing with step aerobics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69PymEZArSU), and it wins.

Shraik
2008-12-30, 07:16 PM
I find Guitar hero is better mostly for the music factor. The Music on guitar hero is better (in my opinion) then the music of DDR. Guitar Hero is good for rock music, because its teaching some kids who are listening to some....pretty rank modern music(in my opinion) about classics such as SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Ozzy, The Who, Foreigner, and Ted Nugent(who is underrated imo, its good he's gotten some recognition)

valadil
2008-12-30, 07:46 PM
I'd like to see you try this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BplIrU1Sdtc)

Hard DDR songs are usually more impressive. I can parse TTFAF in my head but my fingers can't keep up. I cannot parse 10 foot DDR songs, even though I can pass 8 and 9 footers.

Regarding GH vs playing an instrument, they're different. If I want to make music I play guitar. If I want to play video games with pop music I play rock band. They're totally different and satisfy different urges for me. All of my guitar playing friends feel the same way.

skywalker
2008-12-30, 08:01 PM

Personally, DDR is boring, IMO, the songs have no personality, but of course I've thought that about that type of song forever. Plus, you have to really step on the "pad" or whatever, it doesn't stay very graceful like real dancing. The arcade rooms where it's played always smell horrible.

Guitar Hero has a better genre of music (Altho I haven't played GH3 or Rock Band... I'm too cheap) IMO. Less repetitive stuff. To the person who said the fingerings are repetitive... That's kinda like real music. If you're not the singer, you're doing some repetitive stuff somewhere in the course of most songs. Unless you're improvising fingerings as you go along (which, admittedly, I have seen done).

As far as a fantasy (I can dance vs. I can play guitar) goes, I can play guitar wins hands down. No, I'm not really playing guitar, but I can still act like it, pose, do the windmill strum, etc.

I'd honestly rather have to finger the same 8 notes 4 times over the course of a song as opposed to putting my feet in the same 8 places four different times. I suppose I'm more improvisational in dancing than I am in playing music.

Atomsized
2008-12-30, 08:56 PM
Guitar Hero (All of them) takes no talent

In my opinion, I wouldn't really say that GH takes no talent, because both games are similar in the way that there's timing involved.

However, I've seen times where DRR took a small step up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9bC-rTiMY) on the talent scale. Huh, I just realized the guy was holding a guitar too :smalltongue:. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEc_AOjQHGs) is another one.

Mr. Moon
2008-12-30, 10:24 PM
Sure, DDR has the "workout factor," but Guitar Hero has the "I look less like a dork when I play this" factor, I feel. Perhaps I'll say it this way, my family is willing to play Guitar Hero, but none of them would step onto the DDR mat :)

Not true.
See, DDR may have the "flailing around moron" look to those who don't appreciate it, but there's also the "look at how good my reflexes are, watch me show off" aspect to it that goes hand-in-hand with the flailing.

Anyway, between DDR and GH, DDR wins, as far as I'm concerned. I love J-Rock/Pop, and I love techno, although Konami's habit of selling out, as I have mentioned before, can be... infuriating.

As for GH... I have nothing against the people who like the game. I've played it once, didn't see the appeal. I'm not about to go get it, and I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but if I had nothing better to do, I would.
I'd probably epicly fail at it, but I'd play it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-30, 10:33 PM
DDR was manily for the techno crowd while GH and Rock Band were for the wannabe rock stars. I actually used to be part of the Technos until I found a copy of Metallica's "...And Justice for All" lying on the side of the road, clearly a sign from the rock gods.

DDR is good because it offers a good source of excercise to those who otherwise wouldn't be doing any as well as people with poor hand-eye coordination.

GH requires much faster reflexes and increases hand-eye coordination. Plus, for people with crappy legs (like yours truly) it offers an alternative.

Also Gary, were you baked when you posted this?

de-trick
2008-12-30, 11:34 PM
id go with GH because being a guy, id rather listen to classic rock, and after lookin on World Tours song list, they have Willy Nelson, I dont care who you are,you can't get any better than that.

If i play DDr and saw me jumping around and having some pretty girly music( no offense) I would get laughed at

But this is coming from HICK who goes rippin in a 4x4 instead of going to bed

Sneak
2008-12-30, 11:38 PM
Never played DDR, never intend to.

Love Guitar Hero, uhhh...intend to...play?

Damn, that formula didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

Anyway, my point is, Guitar Hero > DDR.

reorith
2008-12-30, 11:39 PM
guitar hero, ddr, either way, you're sitting in front of a screen doing nothing productive.

brb, oiling my guns.

Rutskarn
2008-12-30, 11:53 PM
guitar hero, ddr, either way, you're sitting in front of a screen doing nothing productive.

brb, oiling my guns.

Improving dexterity.

Sneak
2008-12-30, 11:55 PM
Improving dexterity.

Having fun?

Rutskarn
2008-12-30, 11:56 PM
Nonsense, Sneak! Fun cannot be productive. It is a drain, a cancer on the muscle and brain of mankind. I spit on it, and do not enjoy doing so!

reorith
2008-12-31, 12:05 AM
Nonsense, Sneak! Fun cannot be productive. It is a drain, a cancer on the muscle and brain of mankind. I spit on it, and do not enjoy doing so!

seconded! oh wait. sarcasm back to oiling my guns.

Recaiden
2008-12-31, 12:06 AM
Unless of course you enjoy beinh productive. I prefer Guitar Hero,

Sneak
2008-12-31, 12:07 AM

My...my hamster died of fun cancer...when I was 11... :smallfrown:

Thanks for bringing me back to those dark times of my youth, you heartless bastard! :smallmad:

:smallfrown:

:smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2008-12-31, 12:09 AM
My...my hamster died of fun cancer...when I was 11... :smallfrown:

Thanks for bringing me back to those dark times of my youth, you heartless bastard!

Well, that was a close one. Up until know, you seemed to be having fun here. Glad I got here in time.

I mean. Smugly stoic that I got here in time.

Sneak
2008-12-31, 12:11 AM
Well, that was a close one. Up until know, you seemed to be having fun here. Glad I got here in time.

I mean. Smugly stoic that I got here in time.

Well, as long as you're having smug stoicism. :smalltongue:

SDF
2008-12-31, 09:54 AM
If you are doing it for any other reason than you like it, you are doing it wrong.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/rock_band.png