PDA

View Full Version : [Spell Theme] Intoxication

Videospirit
2004-08-09, 07:48 PM
Well This is designed for a bard so hopefully no 8th or 9th level spell is acceptable

Oh and. Any creatures immune to poison are immune to intoxication, and a character With the Drunken Master prestige class can treat 2 intoxication missles as 1 tankard of ale, 1 intoxication spell (beit from the spell, mass version, or intoxicated weapon) as 1 bottle and can treat Intoxication Greater as 4 tankards of ale and automaticly passes a fortitude save to negate harmful affects.

The lone bard sits at a small table when a small disturbance inturupts his thoughts. A tavern maid is getting into an argument with some strangers who've just entered the bar. "What do you mean you don't serve wine here. I won't drink that slop you call ale."

The bard smiles as he stands up and faces the strangers, "Now now. We can't have you fretting over the drink. Come Bring me a barrel of water and you shall have your wine."

Interested the tavern maid rolls a large barrel in, "I don't know what ye have planned but here's the barrel."

Smiling slightly the bard sings a single melody and the barrel glows for a few seconds and then he removes the lid revealing a full barrel of red wine, "Enjoy."

THe men look at the barrel for a few seconds and then dip a glass in and sip from the wine, "This is pretty good stuff that's a neat trick you pulled there."

The bard smiles taking a small bag out, "Indeed it is now that'll be one gold piece for the glass."

The man suddenly stops smiling and draws his sword, "I think not good sir. This is just some water and everyone knows the water of these parts is free."

The bard looks and the sword and laughs, "Good Sir I do believe you've had too much to drink." And before the man can respond taps his hand on the mans shoulder causing him to take a step backwards look around and fall into his seat.

"You've seen how strong this stuff is. It's a bargain at one gold piece a cup."

[Change Water to Wine]
[Transmutation]
Level: Bar 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 10 ft.
Target: 1 cu ft./level of water
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates(object)
Spell Resistance: Yes(object)

[Any quality of water is instantly transformed into fresh wine of the caster's chosen flavour]

[Intoxication Missle]
[Evocation]
Level: Bar 1
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: Up to 5 creatures no 2 of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

[Fires a brown bubble propelled missle that bludgeons the target and sends alcohol straight into their bloodstream. 1d2+1 non lethal damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5). Each missle provokes a fortitude save 1 round later and if failed the target takes 1 point of temporary, dex, int, and wis damage. In addition any target of this spell or an intoxication spell who fails the fortitude save has their personality altered to that of a drunk causing some people to get drowsy aggressive or many other possibilities]

[Speak with Drunks]
[Divination]
Level: Bar 2
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level

[You may treat anyone who has consumed enough alcohol to be drunk or is under the effects of an intoxication spell as if you share a common language. If the target is friendly towards you they may do a favour for you DM's discretion]

[Intoxicate]
[Enchantment](Compulsion)
[Mind Affecting]
Level: Bar 3
Components: V, S, F
Range: 5ft. +5ft/2levels(max 30ft.)
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: 1/2 hr/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates

[Target recieves -1 on attack rolls, skill checks, AC, and saves. Target incurs a 10% arcane spell failure chance and all opponents are treated as having concealment in relation to you. You must have a tankard of ale or another alcoholic beverage to use as a focus]

[Intoxicate Weapon]
[Transmutation]
Level: Bar 4
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon Touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

[A weapon is treated as Intoxicated. Anyone struck by an Intoxicated weapon is treated as having the Intoxication spell cast upon them. You need a Bottle of ale or other alcoholic beverage to use as a focus]

[Intoxication, Greater]
[Enchanment](Compulsion)
[Mind affecting]
Level: Bar 5
Range: 5ft. +5ft/2levels(max 30ft.)
Target: 1 living creature
Duration: 1/2 hr./ level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

[A target must succeed on a fortitude save or suffer
-3 to attacks rolls, skill checks, AC, and saves. Target Incurs a 20% Arcane spell failure chance and all opponents are treated as having total concealment in relation to you. In addition once minute you must make a will save or suffer the effects of the confusion spell for 5 rounds. You must have a tankard of ale or other alcoholic beverage to use as a focus]

[Intoxication, Mass]
[Enchanment](Compulsion)
[Mind Affecting]
Level: Bar 6
Casting Time: Full Round Action
Range: 100 feet
Target: Any living creatures
Duration: 1/2 hr/level

[Same as Intoxication only affects all designated targets within 60 ft. of the caster. The caster must know the target is there and can choose who to target and who not to target. If this spell is cast a second time before the duration is ended all targets under the influence of the previou spell are treated as being under the greater intoxication spell and the duration s reset.]

Hadoken
2004-08-09, 08:20 PM
Allow me to critique if you would.

Bar 0- I like it. It fits nicely with the idea and theme, very fun, just don't let a dwarf get a hold of this spell. No real critiques here, just a general idea that when you get the time to put these all into the same format as for spells found in the player's handbook and other supplements.

[Spell Name]
[Spell School]
Level:
Components:
Casting Time:
Range:
Area:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Spell Resistance:

[Descriptive Text]

Bar 1- I would probably change it from 1 point of str, dex, and con to 1 point of dex, and wis. Also you can include some flavor text here about doing away with targets inhibitions, it could possibly open people up, make them more friendly, or anger them, depending on the type of drunk they are.

Bar 2- This is rather powerful, I think too much so for a level two bard spell, maybe it isn't as powerful as I think, but I would tone it down a little. I definitely suggest reducing the ASF, possibly to 1% per level.

Bar 3- I don't see too much of a hassle with this, of course it rides on how you tone down the 2nd level spell. Also you don't really have a duration here and that is rather critical for almost all of your spells here.

Bar 4- Nice for flavor.

Bar 5- Toning this down would be nice as well, ASF to maybe 2% per level, that way it scales. And oh yes you want to use concealment here rather than cover I believe. Concealment is for things like fog, and you are referring to the whole double-vision thing so that's better than cover. Also if you do use that then the guy gets a miss chance in which case this definitely become hyper-powerful. -4 to hit and 50% miss chance hurts, a lot more than I think this spell should hurt.

Bar 6- Maybe limit the range somewhat, 100 ft. seems rather large, also what about allies?

All of these things I think you need to consider, I'm sorry if I didn't really do the bestest job evar but I'm about to step out and I'm just typing this really fast. Anyhoo can't wait to see a more complete version of this.

Videospirit
2004-08-09, 09:15 PM
Well Hmm. I know it's a tad powerful. I made Greater intoxication as a sort of oposite Heroism spell. But hmm I could tone the spells a little by switching speak with drunks to be the second level and boosting intoxication and intoxicate weapon up 1 level. Also If you'd read Intoxication greater it sais designated target so unless the Bard deliberately targets his allies or targets everything he can see it won't target them. I do need to post durations and such but was in a hurry as well and was using the srd spell list format.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-09, 09:47 PM
Well the Drink Lke a Demon (Drunken Master from Sword & Fist)
Reduces 1 Int, dex, Wisdom per bottle drunk.

Bar 1
Intoxication Missile: 1d2+1 non lethal damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5). Each missle provokes a fortitude save 1 round later and if failed the target takes 1 point of temporary, str, dex, and con damage.
Range: 25+5/2 lvs.
I'd change abil damage from Fort to 1 int, dex or wisdom damage (caster choice).
However its 1 abil damage +1 damage/ 5 lvs. Multiple castings do not stack.

Bar 2
Intoxication: Fortitude save or -1 on attack rolls, skill checks, AC, and saves. Target incurs a 20% arcane spell failure chance and all opponents are treated as having cover.
Dur: Instaneous (1 minute/lv. )(see text)
Range: 100+10/lv
I'd change Fort save or causes 1d3 subdual damage/lv. Also treat all opponents as having concealment.
While I can understand the reason for those penalties, being drunk; I see rather as making you pass out.
Dur of Treating oppoents as having concealment (20% miss) is 1 min/lv.

Bar 3
Intoxicate Weapon: A weapon is treated as Intoxicated. Anyone struck by an Intoxicated weapon is treated as having the Intoxication spell cast upon them.

Dur: 1 rd/lv (intoxicate has normal duration), Target: Target non magical weapon (or any I guess if you want)

Bar 5
Intoxication, Greater: A target msut suceed on a fortitude save or suffer -4 to attacks rolls, skill checks, AC, and saves. Target Incurs a 40% Arcane spell failure chance and all opponents are treated as having total cover.
Same as before but 1d4 subdual(non lethal)/lv. Dur: 2 min/level. Same other than that.

Bar 6
Intoxication, Mass: Same as Intoxication only affects all designated targets within 100 ft. of the caster
Bascially samae as Intoxication, but affects up to 1 target/lv (Caster chooses), Range: 100+10/lv

Videospirit
2004-08-09, 10:04 PM
I modified all the spells based on the spells they were based upon. and changed the intoxicatino missle to 1 int, 1 dex, and 1 wis a missle.

Vik
2004-08-11, 08:12 AM
The first level spell is too strong for a lvl1. You should state that the temporary damage cannot stack. Starbuck suggestion was a good one 8)

Intoxication is rather weak : at this spell level you have Crushing despair (damn, maybe it's a 3.5 only Bard spell ? Well, it's a cone spell, Will save, give -2 penalty to attacks, damages, saves and skills). At least, give the spell a Medium range. Give a name to the modifier so that it won't stack, otherwise the Intoxicate weapon spell is overpowered.

Videospirit
2004-08-11, 10:53 AM
really though the first level spell isn't THAT good. by the time you are firing off 5 missles the measly dc of 11+cha modifier should be easy to make for anyone your own level. And Intoxication affects more than the other spell you mentioned as it also gives the arcane spell failure and concealment.

Edit: Intoxication also lasts for a VERY long time.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-11, 09:35 PM
[Intoxication Missle]
[Evocation]
Level: Bar 1
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: Up to 5 creatures no 2 of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: None

[Fires a brown bubble propelled missle that bludgeons the target and sends alcohol straight into their bloodstream. 1d2+1 non lethal damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5). Each missle provokes a fortitude save 1 round later and if failed the target takes 1 point of temporary, dex, int, and wis damage. In addition any target of this spell or an intoxication spell who fails the fortitude save has their personality altered to that of a drunk causing some people to get drowsy aggressive or many other possibilities
I like the changes, much better.

[Intoxicate]
[Enchantment](Compulsion)
[Mind Affecting]
Level: Bar 3
Range: Touch
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: 1 hr/level

[Target recieves -1 on attack rolls, skill checks, AC, and saves. Target incurs a 10% arcane spell failure chance and all opponents are treated as having concealment in relation to you. You must have a tankard of ale or another alcoholic beverage to use as a focus.
1 hour/lv seems to high to me. That is so long 7 hours at least by lv 3. Dude at lv 20, he is still in toxicated next day.
I'd change to a minutee/lv or 2 minutes/lv.

Videospirit
2004-08-11, 10:23 PM
Hmm. 30mins/level sounds good.

GeeVee
2004-09-03, 02:44 PM
Youd od realize that you're making one of Jesus Christs heavenly abilities a mere cantrip? Shame on you!

xthemage
2004-09-03, 02:56 PM
X the Mod: Please refrain from discussing real world religion on these boards.