PDA

View Full Version : Playground Powers

Burley
2008-12-31, 10:48 AM
Okay. You get one power. Just one. What would it be?

The only rule is that you can't wish for a power that gives you other powers. So, you can have telekinesis, but you can't fly with it.

I'll start: I want to be able to perform... The Care Bear Stare.

Y tu?

randman22222
2008-12-31, 11:07 AM
A super power? For people to listen to me without any form of bias. :smallsigh:

Zeful
2008-12-31, 11:10 AM
Okay. You get one power. Just one. What would it be?

The only rule is that you can't wish for a power that gives you other powers. So, you can have telekinesis, but you can't fly with it.

I'll start: I want to be able to perform... The Care Bear Stare.

Y tu?

So how exactly are we defining powers that give other powers? Telekinesis is a nebulous power, as is telepathy. I can think of several uses of both that could fall into your "other powers" clause, despite being effects of the original power.

TheMessage
2008-12-31, 11:10 AM
Why can't I fly with Telekinesis? Just seems like an arbitrary limit on the best superpower ever.

Guess what I was going to say. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 11:12 AM
To be as funny and awesome as the llama while at the same time being as good at ww games as Shadow is.

Huh?

You don't think that counts as a superpower?

Uhmm, the ability to turn down my migraine probably doesn't count either then?

Drat, I'l just go for invisibility then.

Istari
2008-12-31, 11:14 AM
Super Speed, no I can be the one to get the last cookie :smallbiggrin:

late for dinner
2008-12-31, 11:15 AM
You know that girl on heros that would watch people do things and then she could do it too? I want that power. Just physical activities...not like, "I saw you fly, now I can too..." More like,

Me: Dude I cant dunk a basketball
Lebron James: I can. watch this. (proceeds to dunk the basketball)
Me: Dang!
Lebron James: Let me see what you got
Me: I told you I cant dunk, but if you insist I will try (dunks basketball)
Me and Lebron James: *completly suprised*

that would be a great power...I have more examples if you would like...of that power in action, that is.

OldSchoolGamer7
2008-12-31, 11:28 AM
Force Lightning. I want to be able to fry people at will.

Helanna
2008-12-31, 11:29 AM
The ability to have whatever superpower I wanted at any given moment. But that seems to violate your terms. :smallyuk: Limits are for wusses!

Anyway, probably the ability to fly. I just want that power, so badly. :smallfrown: It's no fair that humans can't fly.

Oregano
2008-12-31, 11:31 AM
A protective personal shield, that also protects from powers. It can deflect pretty much anything unless I let the thing through. That'd be awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2008-12-31, 12:00 PM
The power to grow, shrink, and shape my fingernails and toenails at will. Just think of all the possibilities! And how much time you could save! :smalltongue:

Jalor
2008-12-31, 12:03 PM
The ability to know exactly what to say, in any given circumstance, to achieve a particular reaction (be it amazement, anger, pity, trust, etc).

Imagine the possibilities.

Groundhog
2008-12-31, 12:03 PM
The ability to breathe underwater.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 12:06 PM
A protective personal shield, that also protects from powers. It can deflect pretty much anything unless I let the thing through. That'd be awesome.:smallbiggrin:
Good.

You'd die in your sleep because you can't actively let the air through ^^

Berserk Monk
2008-12-31, 12:07 PM
Basically I would want this: I want each one of my middle fingers to have the strength to lift 10,000 lbs. over my head. That much power would make me

:belkar::belkar::belkar:A SEXY (SHOELESS) GOD OF WAR:belkar::belkar::belkar:

Also, think of how intimidating that image would be: me lifting like a plane over my head with only my middle fingers erect. That's super badass.

Sneak
2008-12-31, 12:07 PM
The ability to know exactly what to say, in any given circumstance, to achieve a particular reaction (be it amazement, anger, pity, trust, etc).

Imagine the possibilities.

Eh, I think that'd be a terrible. I mean, if you knew exactly what to say to get the reaction you wanted, then you would probably almost never do what you would normally do in that same situation. Which basically means that you would be acting out your whole life. Blech. Plus, if you know what's gonna happen, that just takes all the fun out of living! But meh, maybe that's just me.

Uh. Weird tangent. Sorry, that just reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend yesterday...

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-31, 12:10 PM
I'd want either really powerful healing, or shapeshifting (it's close, but I think I'd go for healing).

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-31, 12:15 PM
I'm with the Fennac, I'd want to be a shapeshifter. I seem to do enough of it here anyway :smalltongue:

Jalor
2008-12-31, 12:15 PM
To avoid threadjacking...

Eh, I think that'd be a terrible. I mean, if you knew exactly what to say to get the reaction you wanted, then you would probably almost never do what you would normally do in that same situation. Which basically means that you would be acting out your whole life. Blech. Plus, if you know what's gonna happen, that just takes all the fun out of living! But meh, maybe that's just me.
Uh. Weird tangent. Sorry, that just reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend yesterday...

But I normally do whatever I think I need to get the desired reaction from somebody. The only difference would be that I'd be more successful.

Telonius
2008-12-31, 12:17 PM
The power to heal any illness.

PhantomFox
2008-12-31, 12:18 PM
Dangit, you took mine! I wanted Shapeshifting too!

Player_Zero
2008-12-31, 12:19 PM
How about the power... To move you.

TreesOfDeath
2008-12-31, 12:20 PM
Reality Warping.
Reality is my *****, and I can have whatever I want.

If thats too beardy or otherwise not allowed, I choose Imperviousness, as in being immune to all psychical harm. This would nto only make it easy for me to be a hero if I wanted to, but I could also make a ton of money doing Jackass esque stunts, and I'd be a laugh at parties. And I can run along the freeway to save time.

Telorpation ala Nightcrawler would be cool

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-31, 12:22 PM

With song? :smalltongue:

I can understand wanting healing powers, like healing any illness, but to me that just seems like a one-way ticket to having every Tom, Richard, and Harry knocking on your door asking that you heal them. You'd have to have the patience of a saint after a while...

Copacetic
2008-12-31, 12:25 PM
The power to heal any illness.

Imagine the swarm of people that would hound you down after it got out you could cure any illness.

Personally, I'd like shape-shifting. Bullly? Gorilla. Can't reach the top shelf? Elongate Spine. Hate waiting in line? Turn into a fly, then fly in front and turn back. Plus, I'd finally have all those good-looks I've wanted.:smallwink:

Oregano
2008-12-31, 12:25 PM
Good.

You'd die in your sleep because you can't actively let the air through ^^

I can still allow air through in my sleep, however I can drown and suffocate and stuff like that.

Sneak
2008-12-31, 12:26 PM
To avoid threadjacking...

But I normally do whatever I think I need to get the desired reaction from somebody. The only difference would be that I'd be more successful.

But I assume what you normally do is within the constraints of what you are driven to do by your personality. With a superpower like that, you could tell what the best reaction to a certain situation would be without being constrained by your personality. And I assume if you know what the best thing to do is, you would just go ahead and do it. So you would be acting not based on whatever normally motivates you, but simply on the knowledge that you will get what you want. I mean, I guess you still have the choice of whether or not to actually do whatever your power tells you to do, but it seems to me that it would take a significant amount of willpower to resist doing something that you know will be the best thing for you to do.

I already said, though, this is just my view of it. It's really hard to say how something like that would work out, as it's a purely hypothetical concept.

Castaras
2008-12-31, 12:26 PM
Teleportation of myself to anywhere. Means I can wake up late to go to school instantly when I want to. I can get to anywhere in an instant, I can be with anyone I want.

That final part would be the main reason. Not only can I be with my snuggly one, I can also meet up with people, and if it all goes wrong I can escape.

Morchaint
2008-12-31, 12:29 PM
ooh tough decision....

gotta say: Time manipulation. chores = faster fun = lasts longer.

gotta be some where? no prob time stop and bam Im there.

reorith
2008-12-31, 12:47 PM
the ability to cause people to die of heart failure just by thinking about it. that would be a lot of fun in a twisted way. go read lullaby

AmberVael
2008-12-31, 01:02 PM
Considering the wishes of everyone here, and my own fear of death?
Immortality.
Not dying by any method.
Yeah. Sounds good.

SDF
2008-12-31, 01:47 PM

Take my hand Young Nastyman!

Hmm... Omnipotence... that would be good. But, so would the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets.

Telonius
2008-12-31, 02:05 PM
Imagine the swarm of people that would hound you down after it got out you could cure any illness.

Yep. And imagine the bodyguards I could hire if I could do that. :smallbiggrin:

^I'd prefer the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away with MIND BULLETS!

Dogmantra
2008-12-31, 02:08 PM
Either shapeshifting or time manipulation.

Fredthefighter
2008-12-31, 02:21 PM
I want the power to be able make things explode with my mind

averagejoe
2008-12-31, 02:37 PM
I want the most powerful superpower ever; the power to jump high. It's often underestimated, and often the weaker "flight" ability is chosen over it, but whatever.

Headless_Ninja
2008-12-31, 02:44 PM
I have to agree with Morchaint. Altering the flow of time would mean I could actually get ready for my dratted exams, and be able to keep from going insane from the workload.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 02:49 PM
The power to figure stuff out.
Look at it for a few seconds, and then understand it completley, know how to operate a machine safeley, how to solve a puzzle, how to manipulate a person...
You know?

Zeful
2008-12-31, 02:51 PM
Look at it for a few seconds, and then understand it completley, know how to operate a machine safeley, how to solve a puzzle, how to manipulate a person...
You know?

And how other powers work maybe?

Collin152
2008-12-31, 02:55 PM
And how other powers work maybe?

Maybe, but with a power like this, I'm pretty much screwed in any power-power confrontation anyways, so I think I'll just use it to become the world's greatest anything.

late for dinner
2008-12-31, 02:59 PM
I think the power to breath under water would be cool too...then I could go outside when it rains.

reorith
2008-12-31, 03:27 PM
I think the power to breath under water would be cool too...then I could go outside when it rains.

uh what stops you from going out in the rain now?

Sneak
2008-12-31, 03:32 PM
uh what stops you from going out in the rain now?

He can't breathe UNDER WATER. HAHAHAHA! Get it? Cuz when it rains, he's under water? Right right? KNEE-SLAPPER!

:smalltongue:

late for dinner
2008-12-31, 03:49 PM
Cant SNEAK anything past you....

Sneak
2008-12-31, 03:50 PM
Ba-dum-KSSHHHH. :smalltongue:

Beans
2008-12-31, 03:54 PM
Telekinesis and telepathy would be nice. I want that bowl of rice pudding over there? I don't get up for it. I never have to shout across a room again.

Wait. Better idea: Create (and undo, if you have to) things using only your mind. That includes organisms and people as well.
Why go out and look for the perfect woman for you when you can just make her exist?

averagejoe
2008-12-31, 05:21 PM
I have to agree with Morchaint. Altering the flow of time would mean I could actually get ready for my dratted exams, and be able to keep from going insane from the workload.

Or you'll get nothing done because you always have more time. This sounds like one of those powers that turns out to be an Aesop about something. :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2008-12-31, 05:40 PM
Immortality.
Not dying by any method.
Yeah. Sounds good.

That's probably the worst power ever. You can't die. You could be tortured into insanity for years. Your limbs could be cut off for a few centuries before being stitched back on (immortality would preclude cell death as well, those arms wouldn't rot). You would live on watching your loved ones dying and not being able to do a thing about it. You'd have to move readily, fake your own death. Change your appearance. There's just to much work.

A good movie called Man from Earth is about a character that's immortal and telling the truth to his colleges.

I'm still waiting for Burley Warlock to define what he meant by powers that give other powers, especially related to the many applications of Telekinesis and Telepathy.

pendell
2008-12-31, 05:47 PM
A save/restore mechanism. I'd like to save my life at checkpoints, then roll back to a previous checkpoint if things go south.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jalor
2008-12-31, 05:51 PM
understand it completley

So stumbling upon the Mythos will destroy your mind immediately, instead of warping it gradually?

Sneak:

But I assume what you normally do is within the constraints of what you are driven to do by your personality. With a superpower like that, you could tell what the best reaction to a certain situation would be without being constrained by your personality. And I assume if you know what the best thing to do is, you would just go ahead and do it. So you would be acting not based on whatever normally motivates you, but simply on the knowledge that you will get what you want. I mean, I guess you still have the choice of whether or not to actually do whatever your power tells you to do, but it seems to me that it would take a significant amount of willpower to resist doing something that you know will be the best thing for you to do.

I already said, though, this is just my view of it. It's really hard to say how something like that would work out, as it's a purely hypothetical concept.But keep in mind that the power only works in social situations, interacting with others. There are plenty of things that happen in life that don''t involve talking to people to evoke a reaction of some kind. It's not like a god-mode cheat to life, more like a cheat eliminating spell cooldown times. Convenience, not omniscience.

Alleine
2008-12-31, 05:54 PM
Immortality! Yes I realize how much that would suck. But I'd do it anyway.

Specifically, I would want to be impervious to any harm. Nothing could kill me, and nothing would cause pain. I could have loads of fun with that.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 07:53 PM
So stumbling upon the Mythos will destroy your mind immediately, instead of warping it gradually?

Right, and do you know what happens when someone has their mind instantly destroyed? It reincarnates in a form more capable of comprehending whatever broke the last one, but evil!

Alleine
2008-12-31, 08:00 PM
but evil!

I thought you already were! :smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 08:12 PM
The power to read minds and thoughtsssssssssessss!

Alleine
2008-12-31, 08:15 PM
The power to read minds and thoughtsssssssssessss!

You would likely want to avoid a large number of people after the first day or so of that.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-12-31, 08:17 PM
Can't decide. Teleportation? Breathing underwater. Flying. How about requiring less sleep? Not saying I don't want to sleep, it's a nice break before the next day, but it would be great if I only needed like 4 hours and would still feel completely rested and refreshed.

Zweee
2008-12-31, 08:31 PM
I'd want to have muscle memory.

Like that girl, Maya I think, in Heroes. It would be so awesome to instantly learn how to do something after watching it.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 08:53 PM
You would likely want to avoid a large number of people after the first day or so of that.
I'm already a loner so....

Alleine
2008-12-31, 08:55 PM
I'm already a loner so....

Ok, but now you'll hate everyone. Trust me, we think about nothing good. Or at least I don't. Maybe it's just me?

Naleh
2008-12-31, 10:53 PM
Another vote for invulnerability/immortality.

Why?

Just because I want to see what happens next.

rankrath
2008-12-31, 11:03 PM
invulnerability/immorality. with the condition that if I choose to, I can become mortal.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 11:23 PM
I thought you already were! :smallconfused:

You cannot comprehend the treu nature of Gigyas!

It's rather easy, which is to say, it's quite difficult. But say, what evil is to a good person, consider what then it would be to an evil person. Say, if it would make a good person evil, consider what it would do to an evil mind?
Inhuman depravity that defies comprehension!
Not just disregard for the wellbeing and lives of others, but for existance itself! An indulgence in the provocation of suffering as a side effect of daily tasks! "Oh, we appear to be out of milk. I'll just slaughter 600 innocent women and children on my way to the dairy farm that produces my favorite kind, and then kill the cows extracting it. Course, I'm lactose intolerant myself, but I do hope you enjoy it. You drink milk, right? No? Oh, well, I'm sure someone does."
And that's just when they try to be funny! Which they can still do, I'll admit.

UnChosenOne
2008-12-31, 11:26 PM
Control over the time. If it isn't allowed then teleportation.

D_Lord
2008-12-31, 11:29 PM
Immortality.
Not dying by any method.
Yeah. Sounds good.
That could be very painful. Two Words. Immortality Hurts.
Be an Final Boss. Think about it, I'll have hp in the millions. You could shot me like mad and not even one bullet hole, and I'll have alsome attacks.

Zocelot
2008-12-31, 11:30 PM
I'd like to be able to juggle. Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to make a U shape with my tongue.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 11:32 PM
I'd like to be able to juggle. Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to make a U shape with my tongue.

I'll teach you. Here, let mine guide yours.

RandomNPC
2008-12-31, 11:49 PM
i'd have to go for the immortality thing, with an option to turn it off for when the world blows up.

only thing is, i want to meet death, say hi, and see whats next. I also want to take part in what happens next here though.

Almn
2008-12-31, 11:55 PM
The power to conjure; banish or teleport anything I am familiar with or parts of such, in or to anywhere I am familiar with or can conceive of. Banishment works by imposing something over it (like air)
Conjuration can be at any temperature, speed, or charge.

I think that covers it.
:smallamused:

Atomsized
2008-12-31, 11:57 PM
I'd like the ability to control gravity. It would be cool to just float in the air. Wheeeeeee.

Alleine
2009-01-01, 12:07 AM
I'd like the ability to control gravity. It would be cool to just float in the air. Wheeeeeee.

Sorry, but you must obey the law! (http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/obey-gravity.jpg)

Beans
2009-01-01, 12:10 AM
Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to make a U shape with my tongue.
I can do that.

MeatShield#236
2009-01-01, 12:23 AM
I'd go for shapechanging. I would never need to cut my hair or shave. Also, I would be immune to any diseases because I could just change into something immune to a particular disease and change back.

SurlySeraph
2009-01-01, 02:27 PM
IŽd like to be able to drain the life force from people to heal myself.
...what?

Faceist
2009-01-01, 03:23 PM
Polymorph...ing...isation. Like shapeshifting, but I can do it to other people too. That way, not only would I have all those crazy extra powers granted by shapeshifting (immunity to illness, functional immortality, flight (you know, turning into a bird), etc), I could bestow them upon others at will. Kinda breaks the "extending into other powers" rule, but... screw it!

Recaiden
2009-01-01, 03:53 PM
I'm going to have to go with shapeshifting, assuming reasonable things like being able to fly if a bird, etc.

Lyesmith
2009-01-01, 04:39 PM
Belivability.
People will belive anything I want 'em to belive!
Hells, i could be president. Or make them think the sky is florescent mauve.

Phae Nymna
2009-01-01, 05:20 PM
Hm. This one was easy.

Intuitive Aptitude

It start with watches...
... and evolves to Telekinesis.

UserClone
2009-01-01, 09:37 PM
Anyone to whom I direct a question must answer in the most truthful manner possible, no save, no SR.

Zeful
2009-01-01, 09:59 PM
Hm. This one was easy.

Intuitive Aptitude

It start with watches...

Quick point, Sylar's ability allowed him to steal telekinesis from the guy who had it.

Also Telekinesis, Telepathy and Shapechanging are the three most useless abilities. Because you can't choose a power that gives you other powers, and those three give you almost everything

Coidzor
2009-01-01, 10:18 PM
...Magical Poetry.

Rutskarn
2009-01-01, 10:23 PM
My power?

Super-acrobatics.

Like Beast, from the original five X-Men.

CMOTDibbler
2009-01-01, 11:18 PM
Probably the ability to stop time. Or teleportation. One of those two.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-01, 11:26 PM
Unlimited teleportation. And I know EXACTLY what I'd use it for first.

No, I'm not telling.

SilentNight
2009-01-02, 12:47 AM
I'd go for time control really useful.

Sneak
2009-01-02, 12:53 AM
Sneak:
But keep in mind that the power only works in social situations, interacting with others. There are plenty of things that happen in life that don''t involve talking to people to evoke a reaction of some kind. It's not like a god-mode cheat to life, more like a cheat eliminating spell cooldown times. Convenience, not omniscience.

Well, I would still argue that it's changing your social behavior or your interpersonal communication and relations, and a large part of personality is derived from these interpersonal relations. Of course, now you run into a lot of other complex issues, such as "Is one's personality or demeanor judged based on how one views oneself or on how one is viewed by others?" and "If you are essentially acting out your life with a different personality, does your life and/or personality truly become the act?" Also, if you were born with such a superpower, it wouldn't really affect you at all, arguably.

Eh. Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Or just insane.

Meh. :smalltongue:

Really, I think there's no way to "debate" such a situation, as it's purely hypothetical and neither one of us really knows how it would affect life. There's only so much hypothesizing one can do before one starts to simply make things up. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'm tired. I got four hours of sleep last night (or, more accurately, this morning). I should go to bed. Whenever I talk/type when I'm tired, I always get worried that I'm just spouting complete gibberish that won't make sense to me in the morning. Ah, well, I suppose that's just a risk I'll have to take. :smalltongue:

No, I'm not telling.

The ol' "poke on the wrong shoulder trick," right? :smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2009-01-02, 12:55 AM
Regeneration. Rapid healing from any possible injury or illness including aging. Sure, it lacks the cool factor most other powers have, but immortality more than makes up for it.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-02, 05:44 AM

No, I'm not telling.
Don't need to.
We already know.

Checkmate
2009-01-02, 05:50 AM
I don't want invisibility as I don't think I could handle the responsibility/moral issues of using it.

However I always thought wall-crawling would be a really cool ability, even though I might not actually have any use for it.

The most useful ability I can think of is being able to turn into a gass or liquid.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-02, 05:53 AM
Don't need to.
We already know.

Oh DO you now? Well, don't be a spoilsport, do tell.

KnightDisciple
2009-01-02, 06:01 AM
Hm.
Well, lots of things sound neat, but would lose their luster after a time.
But, for me, being able to heal any illness or injury (except for aging itself) would be nice. I mean, I can use it on myself, if need be. And I know one or two uses right now I'd love it for.

Lyesmith
2009-01-02, 06:06 AM
Oh DO you now? Well, don't be a spoilsport, do tell.

You'd rob banks!
I would.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-02, 06:09 AM
You'd rob banks!
I would.

Nah, not really the bank-robbing type. Besides, what would I need the money for?

I suspect DD might have the right answer, actually. Seems like a sharp guy, picked up on some things the other playgrounders have missed.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-02, 06:23 AM
I am right, yay.
Or atleast according to the PM he sended me. ^^

Raistlin1040
2009-01-02, 06:26 AM
Yeah yeah, go rub your rightness in everyone else's face. :smalltongue:

Lyesmith
2009-01-02, 06:46 AM
Teleporting around the world to visit playgrounders? (Or just one playgrounder in particular, perhaps?) is my serious answer.

Bank Robbing was too tempting to pass up, mind.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-02, 06:48 AM
Half points. Full if you can guess the playgrounder :smallwink:

Lyesmith
2009-01-02, 06:54 AM
Rabbit? I'm currently not so up on who's after who ITP, but all the guys seem to like Rabbit.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-02, 06:57 AM
*Points to his sig* Well, to be fair, she loves me the bestest. *Hands 'Zira the rest of the points and a cookie*

I think, failing teleportation, I'd like to have omni-linguism.

Edit: Oh, and I'd also visit Shadow, just to freak him out. I'd appear, narrow my eyes, point at him, and then *poof* be gone, leaving him wondering what the hell just happened.

TheMessage
2009-01-02, 07:15 AM
Actually, assuming Telekinesis is out, I'll go with Omniscience. Sure, my lazy self couldn't get things from across the room but it doesn't give me 'other powers' so it's legal, even if it has massive logical issues.

Lyesmith
2009-01-02, 07:21 AM
Actually, assuming Telekinesis is out, I'll go with Omniscience. Sure, my lazy self couldn't get things from across the room but it doesn't give me 'other powers' so it's legal, even if it has massive logical issues.

Sounds like a major headache to me, tbh.
It would totally mess up my head, that's fer sure.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-02, 07:30 AM
Think of it this way guys, If you had any amazing superpower, e.g Telekinesis, Super Strength, etc, etc, then the government/FBI/any other secret agency would abduct you and disect you to find out what caused you to be that way, but first they would use their mutant powers to subdue you and temporarily neutralise your powers

Oregano
2009-01-02, 07:34 AM
That's why I picked my power, they wouldn't be able to take me or use powers on me because I have uber shield.:smallcool:

Fredthefighter
2009-01-02, 07:50 AM
They wouldn't attack you, they would neutralise your power, as soon as the beam or laser or whatever touched your shield it would dissipate, leaving you temporarily powerless, then they would disect you so that they could make a breed of soldiers, all of which have uber shields.

Oregano
2009-01-02, 08:16 AM
But that'd mean the shield could be broken, which isn't my power. So they wouldn't be able to take me because my power stops anything I want.:smalltongue:

Plus it'd have to defy logic to neutralise my power when what my power does is neutralise powers when they get so close to me, as well as neutralising bullets and stuff.

They'd have to know how my power worked to be able to neutralise it as well.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-02, 08:27 AM
The FBI/Government see everything, they would eventually catch you using the power, analyse it using the mutant power program they have running, then neutralise it, then perform painful tests on you to create a new breed of super soldiers.

Oregano
2009-01-02, 08:30 AM
The FBI/Government see everything, they would eventually catch you using the power, analyse it using the mutant power program they have running, then neutralise it, then perform painful tests on you to create a new breed of super soldiers.

But I'm not a mutant and how can they analyse it, it's just a shield, I wouldn't know how it worked. It'd just protect me.

And if they neutralise it they won't be any point in experimenting on me because I won't have my power, then when I do get my power back they can't experiment of me anyway.

The government are good, but not that good.

Zeful
2009-01-02, 09:22 AM
They wouldn't attack you, they would neutralise your power, as soon as the beam or laser or whatever touched your shield it would dissipate, leaving you temporarily powerless, then they would disect you so that they could make a breed of soldiers, all of which have uber shields.

Just to point out one thing with telekinesis:

I have telekinesis. I have trained it for years to protect me from harm. It is my greatest weapon. It is a perfect defense. Tank shells are stopped dead, bullets are deflected like the mosquitoes they are, buildings torn asunder. If I know you exist, I can kill you. If you are immune to my power, I will throw mountains on you, raise the oceans to drown you. I can remove the earth beneath your feet or pull the air from your lungs. Take my power. Try to fly. My greatest power is not what you take, it is what you must leave behind. You cannot take my skill, or the finesse with which I can move a grain of sand. Those are born through practice and skill. You can only take the strength of the Titans and wield it like a missile. Where I killed the gunman, you kill the hostage. Where I stopped the train, you must crush it. Where I am the hero, you are the monster.

Take my power, you will never have my skill.
The quote is a response to someone in the last thread about this being immune to superpowers and being able to take them from others.

If I had telekinesis, no one without the power to simply will me from existence could stop me.

Thufir
2009-01-02, 09:38 AM
You know?

Hm. This one was easy.

Intuitive Aptitude

It start with watches...

Yeah, you both beat me to it. Though I'd like to pass on the whole 'uncontrollable desire to cut peoples heads open' part of it.

DigoDragon
2009-01-02, 10:15 AM
The power of cheese!

...yeah, that's dumb. Shapeshifting is pretty cool, but a serious choice would be to have Super Good Luck. I love when things go my way. :smallamused: Or that I can at least get through the day without walking into any walls.

Ethrael
2009-01-02, 12:49 PM
Telepathy. No mind control or anything just hearing people surface thoughts. I think that's the one that can me most useful and still let you lead a normal life.

I would normally say weather control, because that gives me a form of telekinesis (use wind to blow anything into my hand etc.) but I'm going for telepathy this time. :smallbiggrin:

I can at least get through the day without walking into any walls.

Suggestion: Phasing as a power instead! :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2009-01-02, 03:38 PM
A save/restore mechanism. I'd like to save my life at checkpoints, then roll back to a previous checkpoint if things go south.
I have completely changed my mind. I want this: like immortality, except you can allow yourself to accept that it really is Game Over this time, although forgetting to save for a long time, then wanting to reload might get pretty annoying.

Collin152
2009-01-02, 05:26 PM
Yeah, you both beat me to it. Though I'd like to pass on the whole 'uncontrollable desire to cut peoples heads open' part of it.

Oh, totally. I mean, sure, the power compounded with my absolute craving for information will lead me to horribly creepy acts in order to gain access to things to learn about, but no head choppy-choppy.

Mando Knight
2009-01-02, 06:24 PM
Omniscience. The power to know anything and everything at any time. With the knowledge of everything comes the knowledge of the application of that knowledge. Omniscience is omnipotence.

Barring that, the ability to skip time to the end of this world.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-02, 06:30 PM
All of you who have wished for omniscience get a taste of a level 3 chronic migraine. with it.:smallamused:

Collin152
2009-01-02, 06:49 PM
It is my belief that if one knows everything, tehy cease to be a person, and become a force of nature, given that, as they know everything, they can't learn anything more, precluding the idea of progress or change.

Lentava-Heppa
2009-01-02, 07:10 PM
*some content*

AGH! I clicked the link in your sig.

To put something like that there is very evil of you. People expect to find something divine and then... that.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-02, 07:47 PM
The ability to have whatever superpower I wanted at any given moment. But that seems to violate your terms. :smallyuk: Limits are for wusses!

Anyway, probably the ability to fly. I just want that power, so badly. :smallfrown: It's no fair that humans can't fly.

You realize that for a human to fly, they'd need the thigh muscles of a bodybuilder transferred to the chest, the legs of a small child, and the wingspan of a light aircraft?

Almn
2009-01-02, 08:04 PM
Just to point out one thing with telekinesis:

The quote is a response to someone in the last thread about this being immune to superpowers and being able to take them from others.

If I had telekinesis, no one without the power to simply will me from existence could stop me.

I could...By overwriting you with a massive bar of chocolate!

Or Anti Osmium
Whatever.

tribble
2009-01-02, 08:27 PM
just flight. I'm not expected to actually do anything with it, like be a super hero. i'd just... fly about. see things. enjoy it. do some aerial photography to make money. just... enjoy myself.

Oregano
2009-01-03, 08:08 AM
All of you who have wished for omniscience get a taste of a level 3 chronic migraine. with it.:smallamused:

But then because you're omniscient you know how to soothe it or make it go away. So it'd be some major pain for a while and then you're good to go.

Zeful
2009-01-03, 03:59 PM
I have completely changed my mind. I want this: like immortality, except you can allow yourself to accept that it really is Game Over this time, although forgetting to save for a long time, then wanting to reload might get pretty annoying.

"I just failed my SATs! I'll just reload."
... 15 seconds later and 8years previous...
"The hell, I'm 12 again?"
"You do not swear in this house, young [appropriate gender of reader]"

Alleine
2009-01-03, 11:53 PM
Aha! I found a REAL superpower that I want.

Rawhide's google-fu.

I am SO jealous of him.
:smalltongue:

Sneak
2009-01-03, 11:54 PM
What if you combined Rawhide and Charity?

You'd get some sort of godlike entity of pure Google! :smalltongue:

Alleine
2009-01-04, 12:18 AM
We must test this.
For science!

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-04, 10:22 AM
Highlander-style immortality.

I've been watching all the old episodes of the series on Hulu lately and I'm smitten with the awesomeness all over again. :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-01-04, 07:17 PM
Basically I would want this: I want each one of my middle fingers to have the strength to lift 10,000 lbs. over my head. That much power would make me

:belkar::belkar::belkar:A SEXY (SHOELESS) GOD OF WAR:belkar::belkar::belkar:

Also, think of how intimidating that image would be: me lifting like a plane over my head with only my middle fingers erect. That's super badass.

I change my mind. I want my power to be I can magically summon potatoes and vodka at will. This will satisfy both my Irish and Russian heritage.

wadledo
2009-01-04, 07:50 PM
Ability to control, shift, and bend all of time and space in such a manner as that the use of this power does not harm the universe in any way unless my direct and conscious action or command would do so.

_Zoot_
2009-01-07, 03:21 AM
I would want true immortality, nothing could harm me, case me pain or kill me. I would live for eternity!

Im not even worried about that hole sun asplods and destroys the earth thing because by then humanity will have gotten off earth and ill go with them.

Actually, i don't like presumptions soooooo. I would have true immortality that only i could end with a delibete action.

commander43
2009-01-07, 03:40 AM
See, I would definitely pick Telepathy or Shapeshifting. The problem is, I think that if I had access to that kind of power, I would probably turn out to be very evil. The ability to manipulate people with those powers is boundless, as well as both of them making you nigh impossible to capture/kill/whatever.

Grail
2009-01-07, 07:19 AM
Batman ftw.

JellyPooga
2009-01-07, 07:35 AM
Pah, every Joe-Schmo who gets a power of choosing will have Telekinesis or Time Distortion or Immortality....I'd be original and have the AWESOME POWER OF TURNIPS!!!!! Imagine the possibilities of being able to bend the fundamental nature of the common garden turnip (A banana shaped turnip? wtf?), create turnips from nothing (wow those party guests with your turnip themed prestidigitation!), grow turnips to incredible size (imagine the prize money!) and all manner of turnip related fun!

...or am I just a silly person? :smalltongue:

Grail
2009-01-07, 07:55 AM
^ shall now be known as Baldric

Llama231
2009-01-10, 11:18 PM
Ultimate/infinit power for me.:smalltongue:
Why not? :smallconfused:

Collin152
2009-01-10, 11:26 PM
I have a new, randomesque power:
The ability to gain power from the recently deceased. Like a magic drug kind of thing. Make you live longer, make you run faster, make you stay up all night... Fresher the corpse, bigger the results.
I'd become a mundanesque serial killer, growing more powerful after every kill, until not even bullets can stop me and I become a murderous force until the only thing left alive is me, at which point, driven mad by power and senselss murders, I will kill myself in an attempt to feed off of myself.

Or I could work with the police, determining time of death based on how much of a rush I get off of the body.

Reinholdt
2009-01-11, 12:15 AM
I've always been torn between invisibility and healing with this question.

But in the end I'd chose a special form of healing. Doesn't physically heal you, but emotionally heals you. Everyone suffers from emotional scars. If I could fix that for everyone, that's what I'd pick.

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 08:11 PM
The ability to control the desires of others.

Yes its a somewhat dark power with massive potential for abuse.
Yes i probably would abuse it.
Dont judge me.

UncleWolf
2009-01-12, 08:19 PM
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but I'd like to have Cartoon Physics as my power. I'd be able to do anything a cartoon could do.

-paint a door on the wall in a second and be the only that could go through
-use Hammerspace
-Can stretch and then be slingshotted
-rip the meridian off the road and make cars turn into walls
-pockets of holding

Anything is possible!
But if that breaks the limits, I'd go with shapeshifting too.

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-15, 05:41 PM
The nice side of me wants to fly.

But the dark side of me wants the power to give others powers, but it makes them completely subservient me.
I then give them ridiculously powerful telekinesis and threaten the world with smashing the moon into Earth. Of course by this point I have given someone the power to turn into an indestructable suit that I will then wear aboard my floating island city of Tyranny (again via obscene levels of telekinesis). And I shall rule the world as an Overlord! Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

...erm...yeah sorry, got a little carried away there :smallredface:.

But seriously flying would be cool.