PDA

View Full Version : Empowered Scorching Ray

Brom
2009-01-02, 02:50 PM
How much damage would an Empowered Scorching Ray do? I was trying to work out the math -- and I'm not sure what 50% additional damage would look like. Would I just roll normally and add half the damage I did as bonus damage? Would the actual damage die increase to a d10?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-01-02, 02:53 PM
Each ray does 4d6 damage, so increasing that by an additional 50% makes it 6d6 each ray. I'm expecting this post to be ninja'd.

Edit: Guess it wasn't.

Brom
2009-01-02, 02:54 PM
Thank you very much.

Ninja'd?!

tyckspoon
2009-01-02, 02:56 PM
The official way is to add more dice- you would roll 4d6 + (4 x .5)d6 for each ray. A lot of people just do (4d6)x 1.5, however, which is as you said 'roll normally and then add half of that result'. They generally come out close enough that people don't care about the difference (which is that rolling the extra dice makes results cluster nearer to the expected average, while just multiplying the original die roll magnifies extreme results.)

Frog Dragon
2009-01-02, 02:56 PM
Ninja'ing means that you're looking at a thread then going to the post window. And in between you going to post and actually posting someone comes in and post effectively putting you further on the page than you expected.
That's ninja'ing

Brom
2009-01-02, 03:03 PM
....Huh.

And this happens so much on forums that people have a term for it?

Duly noted -- thanks for explaining Empower. I love Wizards, but I tend to be a big advocate for passive feats combined with good planning rather than using flashy metamagic, but I just hit 6th level in a D&D campaign and am taking ''Easy Metamagic'' which allows me to Empower Scorching Ray as a 3rd level spell >:D

So I figured I'd get the details outta the way now ^_^

Mando Knight
2009-01-02, 03:21 PM
And this happens so much on forums that people have a term for it?

Yes, yes it does. If you have more questions on terms commonly used in these forums, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) thread is useful.