PDA

View Full Version : Klogs as a Means of Story Exposition

headhoncho
2009-01-02, 06:54 PM
Moving a discussion here rather than "klogging" up (heh) the Bloopers thread.

Perhaps a good way to resolve this is by adding a couple more Klog-like features. I love the Klog as being a great way to delve into Parson's thinking. Perhaps similar sections could be used to help us understand another character or two, or maybe something other than a journal. The stupid meals were great that way, is it possible to find a way to do more along those lines? Perhaps commentary by erfians who aren't even from the western conflict at all.

One example that I love is from the Watchmen graphic novel, at the end of every issue they had news items and other tidbits that really enriched the story.

IMO, Erfworld will draw detailed readers who love the story, and casual readers who love the art. The casual readers might just skip over the klogs, but then they also won't sweat the little details too much. The detailed readers will eat up the klogs like water.

Thanks for the explanation and viewpoint (in the bloopers thread), pclips. I still love this strip and am willing to be patient.

But it's tough sometimes. I'm sure it's compounded by the serial nature of the medium. I sometimes feel like the sailors who shouted, "Is Little Nell dead yet," as they pulled into port looking for news of Dickens' latest serial.

Kreistor
2009-01-02, 08:05 PM
If you've never read "Godel, Esher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid", then you've not seen how well something like this can work. But that's a Pullitzer prize winning non-fiction (sorta... it features stories and art and music to prove a mathematical theorem) book about, well, I don't want to spoil the ending. Yes, I can spoil the ending of a non-fiction book. Seriously, read this book.