PDA

View Full Version : 4 Good Feats for Melee Combat

Jimp
2009-01-02, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for 4 good feats for melee combat. The lower the level they become available at the better.
Suggestions please?

Eldariel
2009-01-02, 11:37 PM
Could you please list the pool of books you're working with. Also, the type of character you're thinking of; "melee" could mean anything from a mounted charger to two-weapon rogue. The answer depends entirely on the context given.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-02, 11:41 PM
Martial Adept? That is the Tome of Battle feat that lets you use a maneuver, right?

Eldariel
2009-01-02, 11:42 PM
Martial Adept? That is the Tome of Battle feat that lets you use a maneuver, right?

Martial Adept = term used to refer to the classes that gain martial maneuvers. Martial Study is the feat that allows you to learn a martial maneuver and gives you the disciple's key skill in class.

Prometheus
2009-01-02, 11:50 PM
It might also be helpful to know what build you already have, and what those feats will be for when you get them (say, Fighter or Barbarian).

At this point I can say that you will want Power Attack, if you don't have it already. If you have a high dexterity, I would also recommend Combat Reflexes. If you are a Ranger, you might as well grab Diehard. If you want a strange weapon, you'll want to exotic weapon proficiency. If you want to tank, which is hard to do effectively, Combat Expertise would be a good choice.

Deepblue706
2009-01-02, 11:53 PM
D&D 3.5?

I must suggest Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Improved Grapple and Improved Sunder for a low-level melee-based warrior (which I assume is what you're looking for). A Human Fighter could have all of these as early as level 4, including the prerequisite feats (Power Attack, Combat Expertise, and Improved Unarmed Strike). If you can't trip something, pin something, break something's gear without regretting it, or shove whoever off of a cliff or into other hazardous situations, and can't rely on dealing normal damage, then you should only do poorly when you owe your DM money.

ericgrau
2009-01-02, 11:56 PM
I'm looking for 4 good feats for melee combat. The lower the level they become available at the better.
Suggestions please?

Could you please list the pool of books you're working with. Also, the type of character you're thinking of; "melee" could mean anything from a mounted charger to two-weapon rogue. The answer depends entirely on the context given.
This.

For starters I'll assume he wants a simple melee martial class, like fighter/barb/pally w/o any mount. Okay, assuming you have lots of books available, you should be grabbing whatever feats are the pre-reqs for your 20 step uber-build.

If you want a front-loaded fighter, load up on as many toughness as you can. If you're playing to level 10ish or more, probably not. Weapon focus and weapon spec are good. Next dodge, then improved initiative, or improved init before dodge if you expect short combats. Those are the better general purpose feats. Others are situational. If you're doing all your fights on bridges and other precarious positions, you should go for improved bull rush. Fighting 1/2 CR armies? Power attack and cleave. etc., etc.

Confused Dad
2009-09-21, 10:45 AM
I'm looking for the same kind of thing. Any books. Plan is to take 2-4 levels of fighter, 4 levels of Paladin, then switch to one of the Paladin-based PRCs (BAB 8 minimum for the PRC).