Vik
2004-07-28, 03:49 PM
Viktorian
<Presentation on a Gorbash mode : thank you ! >
<Flavor text to be added>
<Viktorian is for School of Easy Viktory Member>
<Concept : accurate strike. Exchanging sneak attack damage for cool effects>
<This is a fight-oriented class, despite its base as a Rogue>
<About the name : a typo from the first teacher ; he was sadly proud of it, so it was never changed>
<Because of this, all students make a point at writing with many typos, as I'm doing :))

Hit Die: d8

REQUIREMENTS:
Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Spot 10 ranks
Special: Sneak attack 4d6 or more
Special: Must be accepted into the School of Easy Viktory. This means winning a duel versus a student ; the School will not accept outlaws.

Viktorian
{table]

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+1

+0

+2

+0
Sneak attack +1d6, Weak Point Strike +1d6

+2

+0

+3

+0
AS - Heavy crippling

+3

+1

+3

+1
SA +2d6, Impromptu Sneak Attack 1/day

+4

+1

+4

+1
AS - Shut your mouth, Weak Point Strike +2d6

+5

+1

+4

+1
SA +3d6, AS - You're drunken !

+6

+2

+5

+2
AS - Blood in your eyes

+7

+2

+5

+2
SA +4d6, Impromptu SA 2/day, Weak Point Strike +3d6

+8

+2

+6

+2
AS - Achille's hit

+9

+3

+6

+3
SA +5d6

+10

+3

+7

+3
AS - Wounding, Impromptu SA 3/day, Weak Point Strike +4d6

[/table]

<strange : i can't put this on the last line:
AS - Wounding, Impromptu SA 3/day>

CLASS SKILLS:
The Viktorian's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All), Heal (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES:
All of the following are class features of the Viktorian prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A viktorian gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Accurate Strike : A viktorian can choose to drop some of his Sneak attack bonus damage dice (SAD) in order to inflict specials wounds. To do this, he must be in condition to inflict a melee Sneak attack, and he cannot drop more dice than his class level. The target can make a Fortitude roll to negate. The DC is equal to 10 + Dex bonus + number of SAD remaining + his class level. Accurate Strike is an Extraordinary ability. A Heal spell negates all Accurate Strikes effect. If the attack deals no damage due to Damage reduction, the Accurate Strike effects do not apply. A viktorian can apply only one effect by attack.

Sneak attack : This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 at first level and at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If a viktorian gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Weak Point Strike The viktorian have learned to recognize weak points on creatures that apparently have none. He can use this ability versus any creature immune to critical as the Sneak Attack ability, if have at least 5 ranks in the appropriate Knowledge (that is The planes for elementals, Arcana for constructs, Nature for plants, Religion for undeads). He has a +1d6 bonus, which increase to +2d6 at level 4, +3d6 at level 7, and +4d6 at level 10.
This dice cannot be used for the Accurate Strike abilities.

AS - Heavy crippling : For every two SAD dropped, the viktorian do 1 point of Strength damage. This is cumulative with the Crippling class ability if the viktorian possess it, and it works the same way.

Impromptu Sneak Attack: Beginning at 3rd level, once per day a viktorian can declare one melee attack he makes to be a sneak attack. The target of an impromptu sneak attack loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, but only against that attack. The power can be used against any target, but creatures that are not subject to critical hits take no extra damage (though they still lose any Dexterity bonus to AC against the attack).
At 7th level, a viktorian can use this ability twice per day. At 10th level, he can use it thrice a day.

AS - Shut your mouth: By dropping X SAD, the viktorian can have his target silenced for X round.

AS - You're drunken ! : This Accurate Strike affects equilibrium centers. For every two SAD the viktorian drop, he inflicts 1 point of temporary Dexterity damage. Furthermore, if more than 4 SAD are dropped, the target lose any Evasion ability he could have. This Accurate Strike effect duration is one round per SAD dropped.

AS - Blood in the eyes: For every two SAD he drops, the viktorian can blind his target for one round.

AS - Achille's hit: For every two SAD dropped, the viktorian reduce the base speed of the target by 5 feet, which cannot go under 10 feet. If the target has more than one mode of movement, the viktorian must choose the one he'll affect.

AS - Wounding : For every three SAD he drops, the VSM can inflict one point of Constitution damage, as the magical weapon capacity.

[edit]
added the Weak point strike ; made changes as suggered by G3.
[/edit

Geethree
2004-07-28, 07:52 PM
AS - Deafening: By dropping X SAD, the VSM can deafen his target for 2 x X round. I don't see how this ability works. How does a sneak attack deafen a target? Do you clap your hands really loudly?

AS - Heavy crippling :Clarify whether it's temporary strength damage or not.

AS - Shut your mouth: By dropping X SAD, the viktorian can have his target dumb for X round. Do you mean silenced? "dumb" isn't a technical D&D term. And just like the blinding attack, I don't see how this would actually work.

AS - You're drunken !I really like the concept behind this but I think it is a weak ability. What if it inflicts temporary dexterity damage instead, or perhaps incurs a simple -1 penalty to AC for X rounds or something.

AS - Blood in the eyes: Cool ability.

AS - Achille's hit:I would change this to 5 feet per two SA dice dropped, or at the very least say that there is a minimum speed that creatures can't be dropped to less than, like 10 feet. Otherwise this ability will render most opponents immobile in one attack.

AS - WoundingI'd change it to every 3 SA dice dropped, otherwise this combined with Impromptu SA will result in a single round dropping an opponent's con score by 12 if all the attacks hit.

Overall, a neat class. You have a solid theme going and you progress the theme in a logical way throughout the class, which is my number one concern. Outside of the concerns I listed above, I think you have a good PrC.

Vik
2004-07-29, 05:33 AM
I don't see how this ability works. How does a sneak attack deafen a target? Do you clap your hands really loudly?
It was late (22), and I was searching for a lvl 1 ability ... I thought about ear striking, but this would mean a double hit. I will cancell it.

On my way back to home, I've come with the idea of an ability to inflict Weak Points Strike damage to creatures immune to critical. After all, most of them still have weak points - undead have ligament or weak bones, construct have articulations, elemental may have power nodes or something like this.

Clarify whether it's temporary strength damage or not.
This ability is just like the Crippling one :
"Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability."

Do you mean silenced? "dumb" isn't a technical D&D term. And just like the blinding attack, I don't see how this would actually work.
Yeah, silenced. Well, this is basically striking the throat.

I really like the concept behind this but I think it is a weak ability. What if it inflicts temporary dexterity damage instead, or perhaps incurs a simple -1 penalty to AC for X rounds or something.
Ok for Dex damage. I'll keep the anti-evasion part.

Cool ability.
Thanks ! :)

I would change this to 5 feet per two SA dice dropped, or at the very least say that there is a minimum speed that creatures can't be dropped to less than, like 10 feet. Otherwise this ability will render most opponents immobile in one attack.
Good point.

I'd change it to every 3 SA dice dropped, otherwise this combined with Impromptu SA will result in a single round dropping an opponent's con score by 12 if all the attacks hit.
This was one was a typo : I wanted too a 3 to 1 basis.

Overall, a neat class. You have a solid theme going and you progress the theme in a logical way throughout the class, which is my number one concern. Outside of the concerns I listed above, I think you have a good PrC.
Thank you !

Starbuck_II
2004-07-29, 10:21 AM
So is this like the Ninja of the Cresant Moon?

AS - Shut your mouth: By dropping X SAD, the viktorian can have his target silenced for X round.

IF Ninja can strike you succesfully and if opponent flat-foot with a melee attack, unable to speak for one round. Preventing casting spells with verbal components and shouting warning or alarms.

Interesting ability though. You can flank them and slience much better.

AS - Blood in the eyes: For every two SAD he drops, the viktorian can blind his target for one round.
I'm thinking more Sand in the Eyes but blood might work.

Zherog
2004-07-30, 03:34 PM
OK, before I get into the details I have a confession to make.

I http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif LOVE http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif sneak attack!

*ahem* with that out of the way....

<<snipped, um, psuedo-flavor text ;) >>

Think you could get that written before the contest deadline?

Hit Die: d8

REQUIREMENTS:
Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Spot 10 ranks
Special: Sneak attack 4d6 or more
Special: Must be accepted into the School of Easy Viktory. This means winning a duel versus a student ; the School will not accept outlaws.

The hit die is a nice little boost for rogues.

As for the requirements - we're talking about a 7th level rogue gaining access. Sounds OK, especially since he has to drop so many cross-class ranks on heal.

<strange : i can't put this on the last line:
AS - Wounding, Impromptu SA 3/day>

I can see it on your table ???

CLASS SKILLS:
The Viktorian's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All), Heal (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Yay! Craft and Profession are on the list! ;D The list is very limited when compared to the rogue list. Seems everything fits, though.

Accurate Strike : A viktorian can choose to drop some of his Sneak attack bonus damage dice (SAD) in order to inflict specials wounds. To do this, he must be in condition to inflict a melee Sneak attack, and he cannot drop more dice than his class level. The target can make a Fortitude roll to negate. The DC is equal to 10 + Dex bonus + number of SAD remaining + his class level. Accurate Strike is an Extraordinary ability. A Heal spell negates all Accurate Strikes effect. If the attack deals no damage due to Damage reduction, the Accurate Strike effects do not apply. A viktorian can apply only one effect by attack.

I was glad to see you specified that it only worked on Melee sneak attacks, and that you have to defeat a critter's DR for the effects to work.

I'm wondering if granting a save weakens these abilities too much? I'll have to ponder....

Finally, would it be beneficial to specify that the Viktorian may not drop all their SA on one ability. For example, right now a rogue 7/VIK 4 can drop 6d6 sneak attack damage to silence an opponent for 6 rounds. Is that what you want, or do you want the character to inflict at least 1d6 SA?

Sneak attack : <<snipped>>

Mmmmm.... Sneak Attack!

Weak Point Strike <<snipped>>

I like this, and it makes sense. I've done something similar in the past; it was a PrC written for a cleric/rogue. I allowed her to spend turning checks to inflict a limited amount of SA to undead.

AS - Heavy crippling : For every two SAD dropped, the viktorian do 1 point of Strength damage. This is cumulative with the Crippling class ability if the viktorian possess it, and it works the same way.

Heavy Crippling is kind of a misnomer, since it actually does less damage than the Crippling Strike ability. Well, it's only less if you drop just 2 SA, that is. I've always liked Crippling Strike, so this is just gravy.

Impromptu Sneak Attack: <<snipped>>

Another nice ability.

I like. So, bascially, poke 'em in the throat. :)

AS - You're drunken ! : This Accurate Strike affects equilibrium centers. For every two SAD the viktorian drop, he inflicts 1 point of temporary Dexterity damage. Furthermore, if more than 4 SAD are dropped, the target lose any Evasion ability he could have. This Accurate Strike effect duration is one round per SAD dropped.

I like the contingency for losing Evasion.

Another nice one.

AS - Achille's hit: For every two SAD dropped, the viktorian reduce the base speed of the target by 5 feet, which cannot go under 10 feet. If the target has more than one mode of movement, the viktorian must choose the one he'll affect.

I agree that making changes to have a minimum speed is a good thing.

AS - Wounding : For every three SAD he drops, the VSM can inflict one point of Constitution damage, as the magical weapon capacity.

Very powerful. Does it stack with the weapon ability?

Overall, this is a nice class. I'd consider playing one - it gives a lot of options to a character who delivers sneak attack. Oh - did I mention I http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/love.gif sneak attack?