PDA

View Full Version : [Epic Creature] On rails of sin...

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-01-05, 02:57 PM
Long Black Train

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/TicketToHell.jpg

There's a long black train comin' down the line,
Feeding off the souls that are lost and cryin'.
Rails of sin, only evil remains.
Watch out, brother, for that long black train...

Colossal Construct (evil, extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 66d10+80 HD (509 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 200 ft. (40 squares)
Armor Class: 66 (+8 deflection -3 dex, +59 natural, -8 size), touch 7, flat-footed 66
Base Attack/Grapple: +49/+89
Attack: Slam +70 melee (6d8+42, 19/20x3)
Full Attack: Slam +70 melee (6d8+42, 19/20x3)
Space/Reach: 60 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Crush, dark tunnel, dining car, hellsmog, tainted, trample, unholy light, whistle
Special Qualities: Construction traits, damage reduction 30/good and adamantine, damnedwrought, darkvision 200 ft., immunity to cold, fire, and electricity, resistance to acid 20, low-light vision, spell resistance 40, true seeing
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +14, Will +25
Abilities: Str 66, Dex 5, Con -, Int 20, Wis 11, Cha 26
Skills: Concentration +69, Hide +19, Intimidate +77, Listen +69, Move Silently +31, Search +74, Sense Motive +69, Spot +69
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Bull-Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Toughness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Run, Strength of Personality,Touch of Taint (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Touch_of_Taint,HH), Weapon Focus (slam)
Epic Feats: Devasting Critical (slam), Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Overwhelming Critical (slam), Superior Initiative
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 26
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 67+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

The long black train appears a massive steam locomotive, all beautifully gleaming midnight surfaces. Hellfire springs occasionally from the chimney, along with a horrible smoke tinged with red. The insides show and physically are whatever those within most wish to see, but beneath the facade it is simply a throat slowly bringing its prey to the waiting gullet.

A long black train is a horrifying and deeply evil contraption built by hundreds of fiendish tinkerers and forged from the hottest fires of the lower planes. Hundreds of damned souls are fed into its furnaces and it is in constant search of new ones to feed it. It's uses are many, be it used to ensnare souls to take to the lower planes or to ferry fiends from one end of the multiverse to the other. Though acting with an apparent intelligence it cannot be reasoned with, deviated or intimidated, going about it's purpose with a single-minded malevolence terrifying to behold.

A long black train responds only to commands from the fiendish lords that occasionally drive it, and sometimes not even then, so it is uncertain what languages it can and cannot understand.

It weighs around 400,000 lbs and is 60 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 12 feet tall.

Combat
A long black train instead of fighting prefers to seduce others to come within it. If a fight occurs it tends to disappear into a tunnel of its own making and turning around to pick up speed. It then attempts to ram and crush those in its path with a blare of its whistle.

The long black train's natural weapons are treated as adamantine, epic, and evil for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Crush (Ex):
A long black train may halt on the square of any opponent up to one size category smaller then itself who fails their reflex saves as it tramples. They are considered pinned and automatically take bludgeoning damage equal to the train's trample damage during the next round unless the train moves off them. If the train chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

Damnedwrought (Ex): The soul-infused material of the long black train grants it a deflection bonus equal to it's Charisma-modifier. In addition it's natural weapons are considered ghost-touch.

Dark Tunnel (Su): A long black train can cause a shadowy tunnel to appear through any physical obstruction. This acts as the Phase Door spell except it allows anyone to see through it or cast through it. This tunnel lasts for as long as the long black train concentrates and is within 1000 feet. As well, it may cause a tunnel to open up between planes as the Gate spell, allowing any to pass through.

The only light in this tunnel is that which the train chooses to provide and that on either end. Otherwise it is dark as pitch and no light spells are known to penetrate the shadows.

Dining Car (Ex): Those that enter the long black train find their heart's desire in whatever form this takes. While aboard they take 2d6 points of drain every minute to every physical stat, though they cannot detect this drain and while on the train are not affected by the loss, the train itself sustaining them while it draws. Once this drain would kill them they become beings of pure spirit which are then forever trapped on the train, though still to themselves and all others aboard are no different than ever and spells still affect them as if they were living. It may free any or all it wishes, but they instantly are sent to a lower plane. Outsiders with the evil subtype are not affected.

Hellsmog (Ex): As a standard action a long black train can surround itself with a great cloud of blazing steam and smoke out to 60 feet in all directions. This acts as a Solid Fog spell except those within take 10d6 points of fire damage. Those who breathes this must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 43, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. Those who choke for 2 consecutive rounds take an additional 5d6 points of damage. They must also succeed on the DC above or go permanently blind from the torturous heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Tainted (Ex): The long black train is considered a tainted locale within. The initial DC to avoid the taint is 35 and any characters within must make the save every hour instead of every day or take 1d6 points of taint. If they would die from this taint their souls themselves are absorbed by the train. A wish spell can bring back the soul if done within 24 hours of being absorbed, but afterward is completely consumed and unattainable.

Trample (Ex): A long black train has incredible power once it gets rolling and as a full round action can trample anyone 2 sizes smaller in any square it passes through as it charges, dealing slam damage (DC 71 reflex save halves). The save DC is Strength-based.

True Seeing (Su): Long black trains have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 50th).

Unholy Light (Su): A longblack train can throw off twin beams of light directly before in a 500 foot cone. This negates all invisibility and darkness, natural and magical, in it's range. Good-aligned creatures must succeed on a DC 43 fortitude save or be permanently blinded. Even if they make the save they are still blinded for as long as they are within the cone.

Whistle (Ex): The whistle of the long black train can be used in one of two ways each round as a free action. The save DC's are Charisma-based.

Frightening: Any within 250 feet that hear this whistle must succeed on a DC 51 will save or become panicked as the cries of the damned within are released. Good-aligned creatures are Shaken for 1 round even if they make their save. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Seduction: Any within 250 feet that hear this whistle must succeed on a DC 51 will save or become obsessed with finding the train and are considered Charmed towards it for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect.

DracoDei
2009-01-05, 04:51 PM
When I saw the title I was thinking you might have statted up Blaine the Mono from The Dark Tower series...
This is more generic in the personality, but also more interesting ability-wise (for one thing Blaine actually needs a rail to run on).
I haven't read all of it quite yet (most of it actually, but not all of it), but it got to the point where I had to stop and say something...
I really don't see this thing coiling up hardly ever (admittedly a lot of that "hardly ever" would be in cases where it was facing a serious challenge in combat, but usually from a whole hoard of foes, rather than anything like your typical adventuring party). So it REALLY seems like you should go back to 3.0 style with the facing, and make it 10 ft x 60 ft(which is actually reasonably short for a train), or 10 ft by 360 ft (which is quite long, and has it taking up the same number of squares as you currently have it doing, meaning if did curl up to reduce the number of foes who could reach it at any one time, it would be back to being a 60'x60' square). Of course it should be allowed a bend in itself every car length (and maybe it can change the lengths of the cars just a bit to fiddle the joints to where it needs them). Would 15' to 25' long be good lengths that the cars could change their lenghts by. Of course the aparent size of the cars from the inside shouldn't change, just the veiws out the windows.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-01-05, 06:59 PM
When I saw the title I was thinking you might have statted up Blaine the Mono from The Dark Tower series...
Nope, was actually inspired by this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gybGXnciig

I really don't see this thing coiling up hardly ever (admittedly a lot of that "hardly ever" would be in cases where it was facing a serious challenge in combat, but usually from a whole hoard of foes, rather than anything like your typical adventuring party).
If it's got a whole horde coming at it though it can use it's smoke so that they can't even see it and have to come inside.

A horde would be hard pressed to keep up with it as well. It could use the run action and go a thousand feet a round, knocking them all down, and then turn around and repeat.

kopout
2009-01-05, 07:34 PM
this reminds me of that Hay Arnold! episode with the midnight train to the steal refinery that every one thought was a train to hell. And I thought that was what this was going to be.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-05, 07:48 PM
I am not good at epic level stats, but that is an awesome idea. I love it.

Assassin89
2009-01-05, 07:59 PM
I have a suggestion for a different name for that train. The Phantom Train

Pronounceable
2009-01-05, 08:06 PM
What I especially like is that a train has ranks in move silently.

DracoDei
2009-01-06, 03:33 AM
Nope, was actually inspired by this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gybGXnciig

Well, as soon as I saw its actual name, rather than just the thread title, I was pretty sure that was what you were basing it around... not that I could remember the words to the song or such, but I remembered its existance.

If it's got a whole horde coming at it though it can use it's smoke so that they can't even see it and have to come inside.

A horde would be hard pressed to keep up with it as well. It could use the run action and go a thousand feet a round, knocking them all down, and then turn around and repeat.
All the more reason to use the face/reach from 3.0 (or a modification of it to allow bends at each car, rather than making it a 60x60 square on the map.