PDA

View Full Version : FAQ/GK: a theory

Fjolnir
2009-01-05, 07:40 PM
here's a theory that kinda comes out of left field but seems to jibe with most of the knowns in the area (Stanley knows about FAQ, Loyalty of former FAQ units, Gobwins have no capitals or homelands, a Gobwin revolt at GK, FAQ has tunnel access)

What if, for the sake of argument, Chief Warlord Stanley is sent out to find out where these particular Gobwins are going and using the lookamancer tracks one through the mountains via tunnel to a previously unknown area and brings a flight of Dwagons there, only to find that it was a feint, the Gobwins from FAQ and GK had made a pact and decided to try to claim one of these lands for their own and attacked simultaneously. Stanley, too late to prevent FAQ's fall, collects refugees aboard his dwagons, thereby saving them from the onslaught (Jillian and the majority of the REAL combat troops being used on some mercenary gig) and tries to head home, only to find out while he's in the field that Saline has died and he is Overlord.

This explains almost everything in the neatest package I can figure out: a planned revolt by the gobwins of two nearby (within 2 turns travel) cities to grab a chunk of the pie for themselves when the admittedly strongest (Jillian an her mercenaries/Stanley and the Dwagons) units were in the field. With Jillian continuing to fly off into the sunset, having lost the burden of rulership, while Stanley recaptures his kingdom and leads as overlord.

Doran
2009-01-07, 10:21 PM
Interesting theory, but I think if this was the case, there would be a lot more build up of the gobwins situation (specific characters etc); when for the most part, they're just another unit type.

DevilDan
2009-01-07, 10:42 PM
I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the name if "Faq" and not "FAQ."

TamLin
2009-01-09, 03:09 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't see Stanley as a "Rescuing refugees" sort of guy?

I also have to agree with Doran; the gobwins so far have just been background filler. I don't think one of them has even had a name so far?

teratorn
2009-01-09, 11:02 AM
I also have to agree with Doran; the gobwins so far have just been background filler. I don't think one of them has even had a name so far?

Mung, a hobgobwin standing in front of the interrogation chambers with Bogroll.

Fjolnir
2009-01-09, 04:50 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't see Stanley as a "Rescuing refugees" sort of guy?

he's not a "Rescuing Refugees" type, but Sizemore is (both were afield at the time on this "secret mission" if it's what I was thinking, he's "pinging" the tunnels to keep the tracking correct), and these aren't your typical refugees, they are a pair of powerful casters, each easily worth more than their weight in shmuckers and definatly worth the space on the back of a dwagon for.