PDA

View Full Version : [Screen Name] The Shields of Inv Ariel

Invariel
2004-07-31, 03:38 PM
The Necromancer raised his hands and a brilliant blue bolt of energy leapt from them, heading toward the frail Sorcerer. A quick thought flashed through the Sorcerer's mind, and the answer he received from his familiar managed to soothe him. At exactly that same moment, the Sorcerer's familiar leapt in front of the beam, absorbing it into herself. The familiar, focussing her inner energies, transferred a part of the energy into the Sorcerer, who felt slightly revitalised as he began chanting a spell of his own. The tables had been turned.

The Shields of the Inv Ariel are an ancient order, created by a high Sorceress, Ariel, whose beauty was legendary, but whose frailty was also well known. Legend has it that the beautiful Sorceress walked into a bar one evening when an evil wizard cast a deadly enchantment her way. One of the warriors in the bar intercepted the deadly enchantment, and in thanks, the Inv took the man as her familiar and this order was born.

The purpose of any Shield is to protect, and the same holds true with these people-gone-familiars. The benefits outweigh the disadvantages, but being a defender is tough work.

Prerequisites

In order to become a Shield of Inv Ariel, the following requirements must be met:
{table]
Feats:
Iron Will[br]Improved Unarmed Strike[br]Alertness
Skills:
Spellcraft, 5 ranks
BAB:
+5
Special:
You must first take a hit by a malign spell for an Arcane spellcaster, who must then accept you as his/her familiar.
Hit Dice:
d8
Skill Points:
4 + Intelligence modifier per level
[/table]
Skills

The Shield of Inv Ariel's class skills (and relevant ability) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills) (int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (int), and Swim (str).

Advancement
{table]

Level

BAB

F / R / W

Special

+0

+2 / +0 / +2
Osmosis [1][br] Familiar[br] Symbiosis

+1

+3 / +0 / +3
Inner Healing [1]

+2

+3 / +1 / +3
Spell Transfer[br] Spell Burst [1]

+3

+4 / +1 / +4
Inner Healing [2][br] Steel Mind [1]

+3

+4 / +1 / +4
Prepare Spell[br] Energy Discharge[br] Spell Burst [2]

+4

+5 / +2 / +5
Inner Healing [3][br] Osmosis [2]

+5

+5 / +2 / +5
Steel Mind [2][br] Spell Burst [3]

+6 / +1

+6 / +2 / +6
Inner Healing [4]

+6 / + 1

+6 / +3 / +6
Spell Burst [4]

+7 / +2

+7 / +3 / +7
Inner Healing [5]
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
A Shield of Inv Ariel may use any Simple, Martial or Exotic weapon and may wear any type of armour though at later levels this may be a hindrance, as spell failure will take its toll. Note that while the Shield may use these weapons and armours, they do not immediately gain the knowledge to use them.

Special Abilities and Descriptions

Osmosis (su): At first level, the Shield of Inv Ariel gains the ability to absorb his Shield level in spell levels, provided he makes a successful Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level + the caster's level - the Shield's class level), has enough Shield levels remaining to absorb the spell, and the spell was cast with hostile intent at either him or the arcane spellcaster to whom he is a Shield. If successful, the spell has no effect, and the Shield absorbs a number of spell levels equal to the level of the absorbed spell. At sixth level, the Shield is able to absorb twice his Shield level in spell levels.

Symbiosis (su): At first level, the Shield of Inv Ariel forms a symbiotic bond with her arcane spellcaster, and will take upon herself one half of all damage done to the one she is Shielding. This ability functions through the arcane link between the two, and is non-operational whenever spells are disrupted, or when the Shield and her arcane spellcaster are more than a mile apart from each other. It also does not function if the Shield is damaged at the same time as the arcane spellcaster, and the spellcaster (but not the Shield) can choose to take all of the dealt damage.

Familiar (ex): At first level, the Shield becomes something similar to a familiar for his arcane spellcaster. The spellcaster must first dismiss his own familiar in favour of the Shield, at which time the Shield gains all of the abilities of a familiar, while still retaining the ability to earn experience points, class levels, and the like. Note that this transfer is nigh-instantaneous, ad the spellcaster does not need to wait the year-and-a-day that the spellcaster must normally wait. However, if the spellcaster is currently in his year-and-a-day state, he cannot accept a Shield as his familiar-equivalent. The spellcaster can see through his Shield's eyes, communicate telepathically with him, and can deliver touch attacks through his Shield. If the Shield and spellcaster are separated by a range of more than one mile, the Shield and spellcaster will still be able to sense each other and communicate telepathically, but the spellcaster will not be able to cast touch spells through his Shield, and the Shield will not be able to absorb damage done to his spellcaster (see above). Furthermore, as a Shield of Inv Ariel, he is able to activate wands if his arcane spellcaster would also be able to use the wand in question. If a Shield of Inv Ariel dies (reduced to below -10 hit points), the arcane spellcaster suffers the shock of the death, and all applicable penalties, and these penalties are not removed even if the Shield is subsequently raised, resurrected, or otherwise brought back to life. If the spellcaster dismisses the Shield of Inv Ariel, the Shield loses all of his class abilities until he manages to become a Shield for another arcane spellcaster, at which time all of the class abilities are restored.

Inner Healing (su): At second level, and each second level thereafter, the Shield is able to channel her absorbed spell energy into healing energy for either herself or her arcane spellcaster at a rate of 1d4 per spell level a number of times per day equal to half her Shield level. At the time of using this ability, the Shield declares how many spell levels she wishes to convert at a time. Therefore, Niobe, a 4th level Shield of Inv Ariel can perform Inner Healing twice per day, turning as many absorbed spell levels as she wishes into 1d4 of healing to either herself or her arcane spellcaster. Similarly, Phaedrig, a 10th level Shield of Inv Ariel can also convert his absorbed spell levels into 1d4 points of healing per spell level he wishes to use in this manner, but may do so five times per day. This counts as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, and if struck while trying to perform Inner Healing, the Shield must succeed at a Concentration check (DC 15 + damage done ) or lose the spell levels without healing.

Spell Transfer (su): At third level, the Shield gains the ability to transfer his absorbed spell levels into his arcane spellcaster, enabling the spellcaster to cast more spells per day. When the Shield transfers spell levels in this way, the spellcaster decides how to prepare additional spells. Spellcasters who need to memorize spells must begin this process within one hour of receiving the spell levels, while spontaneous casters gain the additional spells per day. For example, Niobe transfers her four absorbed levels into her Wizard spellcaster, who now may memorize any combination of spells totalling four levels (including the conversion of a one level spell into two cantrips), and Patrick can transfer any amount of his twenty absorbed levels into his Sorceress spellcaster who now has enough mental energy to cast any number of additional spells totalling twenty. This counts as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, requiring a Concentration check (DC 20 + damage done + number of spell levels being transferred) if successfully struck. A Shield can only transfer a number of spell levels per day as his spellcaster has class levels in the appropriate class, and can only transfer spell levels to the class which initially accepted him as a familiar, even if the spellcaster belongs to two classes which each can have a familiar.

Spell Burst (su): At third level, and each two levels thereafter, the Shield is able to burn off a number of spell levels to provide her weapon(s) with magical damage enhancements of 1d6 per spell level, may not exceed the Shield's level divided by two (max 5d6), and may only be used once per day plus once for every two levels beyond the third. These bonuses last for ten minutes, and only remain as long as the enchanted weapon(s) remain in the possession of the Shield, or her spellcaster. This bonus is immediately dispelled if the weapon is unequipped, disarmed, or otherwise rendered unused. Imbuing a weapon in such a manner is a standard action which does not provoke an attack of opportunity, and the weapon must be held by the Shield in order to be enchanted, though as mentioned, can be handed to the Shield's spellcaster. This damage is non-elemental and magical in nature for the purposes of damage reduction.

Steel Mind (ex): At fourth level, a Shield of Inv Ariel becomes immune to all mind-dominating spells and effects, as he is now familiar enough with his spellcaster that his mind may not be controlled. At seventh level, he also earns a +5 circumstance bonus against all illusion spells mimicking his spellcaster.

Prepare Spell (sp): At fifth level, the Shield is able to prepare any spell that his spellcaster would be able to prepare, at a cost of an equivalent number of spell levels. In order to prepare the spell properly, the Shield must have sufficient Intelligence or Charisma (as dictated by the class of the Shield's spellcaster) to cast the spell (10 + desired stat), and make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 18 + spell's level) or lose the spell levels and (10% chance) suffer 1d6 per spell level of damage due to the magical feedback. Furthermore, the Shield can read scrolls prepared by his spellcaster, and his spellcaster may now cast Read Magic through him, enabling him to read scrolls in this manner as well, though the Shield must meet all of the relevant requirements to actually cast the spell, though the spellcaster could cast it from the scroll remotely through the shared bond between Shield and spellcaster.

Energy Discharge (su): At fifth level, a Shield of Inv Ariel may discharge up to five spell levels in an explosive burst of magical energy. This burst has a short range (10 ft + 10 ft / Shield level) and deals 1d6 per spell level discharged of nonelemental, magical damage. This burst harms everything within its range, except for the Shield and her spellcaster. Releasing this energy counts as a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Furthermore, if a Shield is reduced to 0 hit points or below at or beyond this level, she releases all of her stored spell levels in an explosive burst as a final attempt to protect her spellcaster.

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-31, 04:37 PM
Too much text, deadline is right in front of you ...

BAB and Saving Throws are off-basic. You'll have to fix them.

And how on Earth could you become a wizard's familiar? I mean ... by following the rules of what the familiar should be or something like that. It's .. uh, my brain hurts.

Invariel
2004-07-31, 04:57 PM
That would be why it is a prestige class, and not a regular class. And besides, how does a cat become a wizard's familiar? The wizard calls it, the animal decides to answer. The difference here is that the person is in the right (or wrong, depending on the circumstances) place at the appropriate time.

Please define "off-basic". BAB raising at a rate of +1 every two levels seems pretty basic, and two saves increasing by +1 every level seems pretty fair.

[Edit:]
Oh, you mean, by not capping out at some combination of 7's and 3's. I think it's justifiable, considering the circumstances.

Mohko
2004-07-31, 05:02 PM
I like the feel of this class. Very interesting.

Enchantment (su): At third level, and each two levels thereafter, the Shield is able to burn off a number of spell levels to provide her weapon(s) with an magical enhancement bonus no greater than her Enhancement level. This bonus lasts for ten minutes, and only remains as long as the enchanted weapon remains in the possession of the Shield, or her spellcaster. This bonus is immediately dispelled if the weapon is unequipped, disarmed, or otherwise rendered unused. Imbuing a weapon in such a manner is a partial action which does not provoke an attack of opportunity, and the weapon must be held by the Shield in order to be enchanted, though as mentioned, can be handed to the Shield's spellcaster.

There are no partial actions in 3,5. Nowdays they're standard actions.

Craft should be class skill for everybody.

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-31, 05:09 PM
By off-basic I mean the base attack bonuses and such don't follow the norms. As you probably already know, the ones are poor (as wizard), intermediate (as cleric) and good (as fighter). It seems yours would be using the "poor" option, when it should go like this:

+0, +1, +1, +2, +2, +3, +3, +4, +4, +5

And for saves... your class seems to start with Fortitude and Will being good but in the end all are good. Let's say Fort and Will are good, then it'd go like this (for Fortitude and Will saves)

+2, +3, +3, +4, +4, +5, +5, +6, +6, +7

And for reflex saves:

+0, +0, +1, +1, +1, +2, +2, +2, +3, +3

I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm not gonna get stuck to the familiar thing since I am not an expert on familiars. I just probably thought wrong or got mixed up. It still sounds a bit ... weird to have a humanoid as a familiar, dontcha think?

Edit: Of course you can give abnormal saving throws by giving saving throw bonuses and such all the way, but I find it too complicated.

Invariel
2004-07-31, 05:19 PM
After reading a couple of soap box entries, I've decided that yes, craft, perform and profession should all be class skills, and will add them here.

As for the BAB, since primarily fighter-types would be moving onto this PrC (because it really makes no sense for a wizard to become another wizard's familiar), I wanted a sort of intermediate progression. The idea is that the Shield is able to fight for his spellcaster, while also trying to keep them safe from harm. Hence +1, +1, +2, +2, +3, +3, +4, +4, +5, +5. I originally intended for the progression to be somewhat faster, but even that capped out at +7/+3, and that seemed wrong to me somehow. So I augmented the lack of attack with a bonus to saves, with a progression of two +1's per level.

As for the standard action thing, thanks. ( We know who doesn't play 3.5 now. ;) )

Starbuck_II
2004-07-31, 06:06 PM
Great idea for a class: good flavor. But it seems over powered in a few ways mostly no duration for absorbed spells.

Osmosis (su): At first level, the Shield of Inv Ariel gains the ability to absorb his Shield level in spell levels, provided he makes a successful Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level + the caster's level - the Shield's level), has enough Shield levels remaining to absorb the spell, and the spell was cast with hostile intent at either him or the arcane spellcaster to whom he is a Familiar. If successful, the spell has no effect, the Shield absorbs a number of spell levels equal to the level of the absorbed spell. At sixth level, the Shield is able to absorb twice his Shield level in spell levels.
I'd make some sort of duration: maybe 1 hr per lv of Shield or till day over. Overwise you carry over to next day or something. After all, nothing last forever except maybe twinkies.

Spell Transfer (su): At third level, the Shield gains the ability to transfer his absorbed spell levels into his arcane spellcaster, enabling the spellcaster to cast more spells per day. When the Shield transfers spell levels in this way, the spellcaster decides how to prepare additional spells. Spellcasters who need to memorize spells must begin this process within one hour of receiving the spell levels, while spontaneous casters gain the additional spells per day. For example, Niobe transfers her four absorbed levels into her Wizard spellcaster, who now may memorize any combination of spells totalling four levels (including the conversion of a one level spell into four cantrips), and Patrick can transfer any amount of his twenty absorbed levels into his Sorceress spellcaster who now has enough mental energy to cast any number of additional spells totalling twenty. This counts as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, requiring a Concentration check (DC 20 + damage done + number of spell levels being transferred) if successfully struck.

I don't know this can be sorta over powerered. A lv 1 sorceror can become pretty powerful with this. Maybe a limit that you can't give over more than 4 absorbed spells/a day.
I mean 4 extra spells is decent, but more than that can be overly powerful.

Invariel
2004-07-31, 06:10 PM
Two very good points, Starbuck II. I had originally intended for the spell levels to be absorbed permanently, with the transfers being limited, but I will add an appropriate measure against overloading a spellcaster with levels. Something to the effect of not being able to transfer more spell levels in a day than the spellcaster has class levels. Good catch.

Zherog
2004-07-31, 08:45 PM
After reading a couple of soap box entries, I've decided that yes, craft, perform and profession should all be class skills, and will add them here.

As for the BAB, since primarily fighter-types would be moving onto this PrC (because it really makes no sense for a wizard to become another wizard's familiar), I wanted a sort of intermediate progression. The idea is that the Shield is able to fight for his spellcaster, while also trying to keep them safe from harm. Hence +1, +1, +2, +2, +3, +3, +4, +4, +5, +5. I originally intended for the progression to be somewhat faster, but even that capped out at +7/+3, and that seemed wrong to me somehow. So I augmented the lack of attack with a bonus to saves, with a progression of two +1's per level.

As for the standard action thing, thanks. ( We know who doesn't play 3.5 now. ;) )

The problem is, you "invented" your own progression. The only BAB that starts at +1 is the "good" progression, which is the one fighters, rangers, barbarians and paladins have. It rises by +1 every level.

It seems to me the one you want is the Medium BAB. Look in the player's handbook under Cleric, Druid, Monk or Rogue and you'll see the Medium progression. The same thing applies to your saves - you need to follow normal progressions, not invent your own. If you are going for a good Fort and Will, and a bad reflex, look at the Cleric - that's exactly the progression used for that class.

A more detailed analysis coming.

Zherog
2004-07-31, 09:15 PM
Well, before I get into the details there's two big issues that need to be dealt with.

First, the only time I have ever seen a humanoid as a familiar is to a dragon. I'd think a human (pr other humanoid) would require the arcane caster to have the Improved Familiar feat.

Second - and this is the bigger one - Familiars do not gain experience points, so they have no way to advance in level. A familiar improves as the master improves, not by gaining levels. This would seem to put a major dent into this class.

Those mentioned, detailed analysis is below.

Prerequisites

In order to become a Shield of Inv Ariel, the following requirements must be met:[/size]
{table]
Feats:
Iron Will[br]Improved Unarmed Strike[br]Alertness
Skills:
Spellcraft, 5 ranks
BAB:
+5
Special:
You must first take a hit by a malign spell for an Arcane spellcaster, who must then accept you as his/her familiar.
Hit Dice:
d8
Skill Points:
3 + Intelligence modifier per level
[/table]

Skills

The Shield of Inv Ariel's class skills (and relevant ability) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills) (int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (int), and Swim (str).

Alright - pre-reqs first...

Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't really make a lot of sense. If you are putting it there so the familiar can deliver touch attacks, it's unneeded.

If we're talking about a normal familiar, the hit die is uneeded. The familiar will have half the hit points of it's master. This is one of the reasons, actually, a familiar can't have class levels - the stuff doesn't mix very well.

On skills....

I can't recall ever seeing an odd number of skill points per level. I don't know that there's a design rule against it, but you may wanna make it either 2 or 4 - I'd suggest 4.

I'm glad my soapbox platform has paid off. ;) The skill list looks OK. There's a few things I looked at as possibly not belonging, but nothing horribly broken.

<<snipped the table>>

I covered this in my first post - you need to correct the progressions.

Special Abilities and Descriptions

You forgot to mention weapon and armor proficiencies. ;)

Osmosis (su): <<snipped>>

Slightly awkward, but I was able to figure out the intent.

Symbiosis (sl):<<snipped>>

Does (sl) stand for Spell Like? If so, the normal abbreviation for that is (Sp). That said, this abliity seems more Supernatural (Su) than Spell Like. Unless you're going for the Shield Other spell, in which case you should mention that spell somewhere.

Otheriwise, this is a fine ability.

Familiar (ex): <<snipped>>

Mechancially, when a wizard or sorcerer loses a familair (even via dismissal) it takes a year and a day to replace it. Are you intending to override that rule? If so, make a mention of that.

Inner Healing (sl): <<snipped>>

I'd call this one an (Su). I can't think of a spell that takes an enemy's spell and converts it to healing.

Also, there's a chance you'll see a lot of people complain about how much healing this can do, and how arcane casters can't heal, and all that. I think it's quite a bit of healing, though I'm not about to rule it broken. Just be aware that others will gripe about this loudly - especially if you were to post this over on WotC's boards.

Spell Transfer (su): <<snipped>>

So, bascially, if my familiar absorbed 5 spell levels, I can now prepare any combination of spells that adds up to five levels?

That might be a bit good - I'd have to see how it played out.

Also - the usual "conversion" for cantrips is 2 equals a first level spell. You seem to be saying that 4 cantrips equal a first level spell. Might wanna change that.

Enchantment (su): <<snipped>>

This ability is really, really weak. It would be more beneficial to me (the familiar) to transfer these spell points to my master so he can prepare the Greater Magic Weapon spell, and then cast it on me. Just bringing it up....

Prepare Spell (sl): At fifth level, the Shield is able to prepare any spell that his spellcaster would be able to prepare, at a cost of an equivalent number of spell levels. In order to prepare the spell properly, the Shield must make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 18 + spell's level) or lose the spell levels and (10% chance) suffer 1d6 per spell level of damage due to the magical feedback. Furthermore, the Shield can read scrolls prepared by his spellcaster, and his spellcaster may now cast Read Magic through him, enabling him to read scrolls in this manner as well.

I'd also add the familiar must have a high enough stat to cast the spell (Int for a wizard's familiar, Charisma for a sorcerer's).

Providing the ability to read scrolls may be abusable - I'd have to think about it. It's certainly not as bad as allowing the use of wands. ;)

Energy Discharge (su): <<snipped>>

Not too bad. I can't think of a way to abuse it - yet. :D

Steel Mind (ex): At seventh level, a Shield of Inv Ariel becomes immune to all mind-dominating spells and effects, as he is now familiar enough with his spellcaster that his mind may not be controlled. He also earns a +5 circumstance bonus against all illusion spells mimicking his spellcaster.

You could move this ablity up to an earlier level to be honest. Protecting the "familiar" should be paramount.

This is a cool class; it's a shame you're hosed by the fact that familiar's can't gain levels. My advice would be to rework it so the Shield isn't an actual familiar, but rather a close, bonded NPC. That gets around both issues I listed at the top. You'd simply have to require the caster to not have a familiar to have a bond with a Shield.

Invariel
2004-07-31, 10:13 PM
Zherog wrote a lot of stuff. Let's get it on a point for point basis. :)

"I'm glad my soapbox platform has paid off. The skill list looks OK. There's a few things I looked at as possibly not belonging, but nothing horribly broken."

I think you're referring to Decipher Script, and the knowledges. Decipher Script will help the Shield and his spellcaster by reducing the number of 'Read Languages' spells that need to be cast, and will let the Shield function apart from the spellcaster. The various knowledges are ... actually pretty pointless, but it will save the Shield from having to commune with his spellcaster every time a noble wants to chat with him, or every time he sets foot in a religious temple.

"You forgot to mention weapon and armor proficiencies."
Why yes, yes I did... -fix-

" Mechancially, when a wizard or sorcerer loses a familair (even via dismissal) it takes a year and a day to replace it. Are you intending to override that rule? If so, make a mention of that."
I had thought that "at that time" covered it, but I'll try to fix it up.

"Also, there's a chance you'll see a lot of people complain about how much healing this can do, and how arcane casters can't heal, and all that. I think it's quite a bit of healing, though I'm not about to rule it broken. Just be aware that others will gripe about this loudly - especially if you were to post this over on WotC's boards."
You have a point. Reduced to 1d4 per level, sacrificing as many levels as the Shield wishes, but only usable level / 2 times per day.

"So, bascially, if my familiar absorbed 5 spell levels, I can now prepare any combination of spells that adds up to five levels?"
Not quite. The Shield has to absorb and transfer five spell levels to you.

"Also - the usual "conversion" for cantrips is 2 equals a first level spell. You seem to be saying that 4 cantrips equal a first level spell. Might wanna change that."
Heh. Used to be four. -fix-

[Enchantment] "This ability is really, really weak. It would be more beneficial to me (the familiar) to transfer these spell points to my master so he can prepare the Greater Magic Weapon spell, and then cast it on me. Just bringing it up...."
You're right. It's been exchanged for Energy Burst, which has more immediate results.

" I'd also add the familiar must have a high enough stat to cast the spell (Int for a wizard's familiar, Charisma for a sorcerer's)."
Done.

[Energy Discharge] "Not too bad. I can't think of a way to abuse it - yet."
Well, that's good. :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Improved Unarmed Strike thing. Yes, it's primarily for delivering touch spells, but it also was meant to work with Enhancement (fists are weapons too), and now can be used with the Spell Burst ability without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Zherog
2004-07-31, 10:19 PM
Decipher Script was indeed one of 'em, but the Knowledge skills weren't. ;) The other was actually Balance. I can kinda, sorta - in a round about way - see why it might be there, but it just doesn't quite fit in my mind. But it wasn't a big enough deal to bring it up. ;)

Invariel
2004-07-31, 11:00 PM
Oh, Balance. Well, it's always in one's best interests to not get knocked to the ground when in a melee, and it's also quite helpful when you're Jump'ing in front of an attack directed at your 'master' to be able to stay on your feet afterwards. :) I probably should also give Tumble, but it's not quite the acrobatic skill I'd like to see.

kirellagen
2004-08-01, 03:41 PM

Oh my gosh. Perform! Somebody actually listened to me! :D
Yay!

Kire ;D

Invariel
2004-08-01, 05:27 PM
Well, yeah.
Take a look at Craft, what's it about? Making things. Now, adventurers of all types should have Craft as a class skill, for improvising weapons - bows, staves, clubs, that sort of thing. And, since not all of an adventurer's time is spent out in dungeons or the overworld, they have to be doing -something- for GP behind the scenes. How about making things?
Perform is yet another way to pass the time and make coin, and it can come in quite handy when trying to do the undercover thing. And, before you ask what an adventurer could perform, let's see. Fighter-types, barbarians, fighters, paladins, and even rogues, can all practice swordplay in the open for the masses. Wizards have Prestidigitation (sp?) which is what? Cantrips. Parlour tricks. Clerics have the whole 'divine' thing going on, Monks can also perform combat manoeuvres, and other fun things. And Bards can sing. Lots. :)
Profession is a lot like Craft - one of those behind-the-scenes-and-between-the-adventure skills that most people overlook. But, I'd gladly give someone some synergy bonuses between, say, Profession: Mason and a to-hit role against a castle.
Anyhow... that's my two cents.