PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Installation:

Lupy
2009-01-06, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone. Today I tried to make an Ubuntu Live CD and run the test drive... It did not work. I don't know what information you need to help me, but if you ask I can probably tell you. Please help me get my Linux up and running!

Thanks ahead of time,
Lupy.

eidreff
2009-01-06, 07:18 PM
First question is did you burn the CD as an ISO? Otherwise you have just copied the files to the CD and it wont work as a live CD.

Edit: Windows won't burn an ISO as standard as far as I know, but Nero and Roxio can. I use a program called Deepburner from Astonsoft.

Gray Jester
2009-01-06, 07:36 PM
1. Make sure you're burning it as an .iso and not as just the files. If you don't know how to do that, google it.
2. Make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from CD rather then from the main HD, if it's mac hardware just hold down 'c' when you turn it on.
3. If you've done the above two, burn a new disk at the lowest possible speed, to minimize possible write-errors, and do a check of the disk afterward. (there are many programs that will do this for you if you aren't just using Windows to do it in pt. 1)

Lupy
2009-01-06, 07:56 PM
I've burned the .iso and run the cd from BIOS, but nothing happens after I get to the menu. I'll try burning it at a lower speed though.

Gray Jester
2009-01-06, 08:02 PM
Oh, and this seems fairly obvious to me, but are your hardware specs up to running the liveCD (It's like... 512mb RAM, etc.), and have you tried googling for the computer (by model name and manufacturer) and 'ubuntu'? That tends to show any potential issues you might run into.

Lupy
2009-01-07, 06:20 PM
Well, there was a write error, when I rewrote the cd at a lower speed it worked...

But how do I connect to the web? I've tried everything I could think of, and hit the ubuntu wiki, and so far, no luck.

Zeful
2009-01-07, 07:00 PM
Well, there was a write error, when I rewrote the cd at a lower speed it worked...

But how do I connect to the web? I've tried everything I could think of, and hit the ubuntu wiki, and so far, no luck.

Well it depends, are you using an internal or external modem? If it's internal you have to take it out to get the model number and then google "[modem model number] linux drivers".

My Ubuntu system auto detected the external modem so just plug it in and connect.

Lupy
2009-01-07, 08:14 PM
Okay. I can do that.

Sorry I'm acting like such a moron, I just don't want to screw anything up 'til I know my way around.