PDA

View Full Version : The Runner [3.5 PrC]

Ethrael
2009-01-07, 08:10 AM
Ok, well I've wanted to make this into a class for a while now, and I've decided to use it in my next campaign, so here goes: :smallbiggrin:

The Runner

Runners are based off EA’s game Mirror’s Edge.
Runners are couriers who transport vital information from various employers to another. They are employed when the transporting of the message is dangerous, must be quick or if it requires the expert knowledge of the cityscape as that of the Runners.

Runners combine speed with strength and agility with deadly accuracy. They are sometimes used as assassins for easy targets, but targets where it could get messy if failed. They train and specialize in running away. By using levels, difficult surfaces, they can outrun or get away to places no police member nor adventurer dares to go.

Most Runners are quite solitary, only meeting together to pass on messages or the objects they have in their charge. However, all Runners have been estranged from family members, and so they look for anyone to be a close friend with. They befriend other Runners in the care of a similar employee, but otherwise, they stay out of touch with almost anyone.

Runners are not very able combatants, but when running, their fighting ability becomes all the more unique and powerful, combining high amounts of damage with accuracy.

Most Runners begin as Rogues, although many are Monks. Some Rangers have been known to become Runners, and on rare occasions so have Paladins and fighters. Barbarians lack the precision and agility needed to become Runners, and Druids are more adept to the forest than the city. Bards can become Runners, being used to cityscapes, but Clerics, Sorcerers and Wizards have a hard time coping with the athletic aspect of it, although Clerics of Kord might have an easier time adapting to that way of looking at the world.
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 6 + Int Modifier

Requirements:

Base Attack Bonus: +4

Skills: Jump: 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Climb 9 ranks.

Feats: Run

Special: Must be estranged from all close family members.

{table=head]
Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Unarmed Attack Damage

1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Enduring, Evasion, Momentum|1d3

2|+1|+0|+3|+1|Speed +5 feet, Vaults|1d3

3|+2|+1|+3|+1|Energy Bursts|1d4

4|+3|+1|+4|+1|Speed +10 feet|1d4

5|+3|+1|+4|+1|Sure Step|1d6

6|+4|+2|+5|+2|Speed +15 feet|1d6

7|+5|+2|+5|+2|Run-by attacks|1d8

8|+6|+2|+6|+2|Speed +20 feet, Improved Evasion|1d8

9|+6|+3|+6|+3|Wall Crawler|1d10

10|+7|+3|+7|+3|Reaction Time|1d10[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: The Runner gains proficiency with the longbow and shortbow and their composite versions. The Runner also gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons excluding two-handed martial weapons.

Unarmed Attack Damage: This column gives the amount of damage a Runner deals when unarmed. If the Runner previously had monk levels, her Runner levels stack with her monk levels to determine her unarmed damage. If the runner does not have Monk levels, her bonus to unarmed damage progression are given on the table. The column gives figures for a Medium Runner’s unarmed attack damage.

Momentum (Ex): At 1st level, a Runner can gain Momentum to make her abilities more effective. Every 20 feet of running, or after a Vault, her Momentum goes up by 1. Her Momentum at the start of any encounter is 0. She may then add 4 times her current Momentum as a bonus to her jump, climb and tumble checks. The Runner may also add double her current Momentum score as a bonus to damage rolls when executing Run-by attacks. If the runner makes any attack, her Momentum falls to 1. Furthermore, if she makes a Jump, Climb, or tumble check for any purpose, her momentum falls to 1. If a Runner’s Momentum exceeds 3, she may make Overrun and Bull Rush attacks without provoking attacks of opportunity. Her momentum decreases by 2 every round of not running, and a Runner’s maximum Momentum is her Runner level.

Enduring: At 1st level, a Runner can run for much longer than normal. She can run for up to her Constitution Modifier more times than normal.

Evasive (Ex): At first level, a Runner can use the Evasion class feature. If a Runner makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Runner is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Runner does not gain the benefit of evasion. A Runner also gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity as the feat Mobility.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level, a Runner gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Runner. A Runner in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed. At every other level thereafter except for 10th level, the Runner’s enhancement to her speed is increased. If the Runner previously had monk levels, her Runner levels stack with her monk levels to determine her speed bonus. If the runner does not have Monk levels, her bonus to speed progression are given on the table.

Vaults (Ex): At 2ndrd level, a Runner is no longer concerned with small obstacles in their way when making an escape- she can merely vault over them. When running, a Runner can leap over an object up to one size category lower than theirs without having to make a jump check. If an opponent is standing behind the vault, the Runner may make an attack of opportunity against them and may make a free bull rush or overrun attempt without incurring an attack of opportunity from the opponent.

Energy Bursts (Ex): At 3rd level, a Runner can continue without penalties from tire and has adrenaline ready to course through her body at any moment. If she is fatigued, she no longer receives the usual penalties such as the -2 to Strength and Dexterity, penalties from it, but anything that would normally cause fatigue makes her exhausted, as per usual. If she is not fatigued and in a normal condition, she gains a +10 foot bonus on her base speed and gains a +4 insight bonus on attacks to hit, Jump, Climb and Tumble attempts.

Sure Step (Ex): At 5th level, a Runner can jump and climb in bad conditions as if it was normal. She is no longer affected by adverse conditions when making jump, climb, balance or tumble checks and may take 10 even when stress and distraction would normally not permit her. In addition, she can add half her class level to those checks. Also, when making jump checks, the DC is counted as if there were a 20-foot run-up if there wasn’t. If there was, then the DC for the jump is halved; when falling from a wall, the Runner simply has to make a Climb check, instead of the usual +20 and a Runner is no longer flat footed when fighting on a surface on which balance would be necessary.

Run-by attacks (Ex): At 7th level, a Runner can make special unarmed attacks which can be executed whilst running without stopping. If running, a Runner can make a jump kick or slide kick, to which Momentum may be added. The Runner may choose to stun the opponent with these attacks(Fort Save DC 10 + Runner level + Str modifier). A stunned creature drops everything held, cannot take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC and loses its dexterity bonus to AC (if any). A run-up of 10 feet or a Momentum of 3 or above is needed to execute these attacks. Also, when a Runner would normally make a full attack, she gains one extra Run-By attack, and when she would normally make a standard attack, she may make a full Run-by attack. A Runner may only stun a creature the amount of times per day that the feat Stunning Fist permits. (1/4 levels except for Monks).

Wall Crawler (Ex): At 9th level, height no longer challenges the Runners. She can run across walls for a certain amount of time and can bounce of them to achieve higher points.

Wall Running: A runner with Momentum 2 or greater can take part of one of her move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if she begins and ends her move on a horizontal surface. The height she can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If she do not end her move on a horizontal surface, she falls prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for her distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring her movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; she can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as she moves up the wall.
She can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows her to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area she threatens; however, if she is somehow prevented from completing her move, she falls. Likewise, she could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity. A Runner may use Wall Bounce (see below) to jump the remaining distance at the end of her Wall Run
Wall Bounce: Otherwise, a Runner may bounce from opposite walls upwards or downwards. Bouncing counts as a move action and so a Runner may make as many Bounces whose distance adds up to the total distance possible to travel. To bounce, a Runner must make a climb check for the wall she begins at, and one jump check for the one bounce. The DC for each bounce increases by 1 after every bounce. The DC is lowered by 5 for each perpendicular wall which is adjacent to the the two walls which are being used to bounce from.
A Runner may choose to bounce the last length of distance upwards vertically or simply let herself fall down. She can also jump off horizontally at the end of a Wall Run- assuming the total maximum distance possible to travel hasn’t already been exceeded- to end it by getting just a little bit further.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the Runner still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Runner does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Reaction Time (Ex): At 10th level a Runner can switch into a slow-motion view of the world in which her reactions are heightened and she can take more care when executing complicated procedures. A Runner may go into Reaction time [Dexterity modifier] times per day. In Reaction time, her dexterity bonus to AC and Reflex saves doubles and she gets a +4 to Disarm, Trip and Sunder checks. She can add her Wisdom modifier to her attack bonus and receives a +5 circumstance bonus on Balance, Climb, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Sleight of Hand and Tumble checks. If a Runner enters Reaction time more than 4 times within one hour, the change in speed hits her a bit hard and after she exits Reaction Time for the fourth time she becomes dazed for 1d6 rounds. Reaction time lasts for 1d4 rounds and can be terminated at any time.

As you can see, it's very low on fluff, as I don't really know how to do that, and some of the abilities are relatively sketchy, so I ask the Playground for advice and help on this class. :smallbiggrin:

Pie Guy
2009-01-07, 10:02 PM
Good class. However, why not have reaction time work off dexterity modifier?

Also, you should have reaction time availible if you have enough momentum. 10, maybe?

The Neoclassic
2009-01-07, 10:08 PM
Nifty, though I don't quite understand why they must be estranged from all close family to take the class.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-07, 10:35 PM
Needs a combat role (I think), and needs Freedom of Movement. Because Freedom of Movement is important.

Run-By attacks needs clarification. Does the stun have a save?

Momentum is fairly good in damage terms, but the build up for damage is too large compared to other abilities, like... Stormguard Warrior.

Most of the early abilities are "dead" or uninteresting. Spread out the cool, game-based abilities into the earlier levels more, perhaps in reduced forms.

Unarmed attack progression is weak. I recommend at least giving out the Tome of Battle Superior Unarmed Strike feat, if not better. If you hand out unarmed damage, make it function like the monk's unarmed strike feature.

An old speed-based PrC that is quite a bit of fun is Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)
Feel free to take any of these that seem cool without fear of being overpowered, since that class is already a gish, therefore pretty darn powerful.

Bonuses "Stacking" could be worded better. "This speed increase is cumulative the the increases from the monk class"

At 1st level, a Runner gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Runner’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a Runner may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A Runner may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a Runner’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A Runner’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A Runner also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on the table. The unarmed damage on the table is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; See Dungeon Master's Guide for details.

A lot of the classes features involve running. This is quite similar the the Mirror's Edge gameplay, but rather impractical in many adventures. I would recommend these features be allowed to function when taking a single move action, i.e. movement of at least 20 feet or so in a round.

Endurance has absolutely nothing to do with running.

Momentum is somewhat unclear.

Momentum (Ex): At 8th level, a Runner can gain Momentum to make her abilities more effective.
Every round after running, or after a Vault, her Momentum goes up by 5, starting at 0 when still.
Every round after running, momentum increases? How about "After each round in which the Runner moves x feet, her Momentum increases by 5. The Runner's Momentum is 0 at the start of any encounter."

She then adds this number to her jump, climb and tumble checks.
The runner adds her Momentum value as a bonus (typed?) to her... etc.

She can also add her Momentum to damage made when executing Run-by attacks.
The Runner may also add her current Momentum score as a bonus to damage rolls (Yes, this is how it is often worded) when executing Run-by attacks.

After any of these or any normal attacks, a Runner’s Momentum falls down to 5.
If the runner makes any attack, her Momentum falls to five. Furthermore, if she makes a Jump, Climb, or tumble check for any purpose, her momentum falls to 5 (This is strongly implied)

If a Runner’s Momentum exceeds 15, she may make Overrun and Bull Rush attacks without provoking attacks of opportunity.
Clear enough.

Her momentum decreases by 10 every round of not running, and a Runner’s maximum Momentum is her Runner level x 4 (rounded down).

Pretty clear, though I wonder why Momentum increments in 5, since there is very little that will cause a Momentum score to not be divisible by 5. You could just multiply the bonus of jump checks, etc. by 5, and leave momentum capped at class level, or similar.

Also, some way to totally avoid or otherwise dodge AoO's would be neat.

Ethrael
2009-01-08, 05:55 AM
Thank you everyone for all the comments, they're all perfectly viable. Now for some answers:

Good class. However, why not have reaction time work off dexterity modifier?

Good point, I can't remember why I put Wisdom Modifier for the amount of times per day. :smalltongue: It would be much better if it were Dex, you're right.

Also, you should have reaction time available if you have enough momentum. 10, maybe?

I did think about this actually, and the main reason that I didn't do it based off Momentum was that Reaction Time is something more of the mind rather than of the body. So, if anything, it would only be available at a much higher momentum, 20 maybe, if it was at all. I think I'll try and fix Momentum altogether with Arbitrarity and then I'll think about this.

Nifty, though I don't quite understand why they must be estranged from all close family to take the class.

Runners basically live on the run, hidden from society. They wouldn't do that if they had a caring home waiting for them and a happy family loving them. In this case "estranged" also means "have lost loved ones". Faith's parents in Mirror's Edge died and her only relative, her sister, was a policewoman, and they never spoke.

Needs a combat role (I think), and needs Freedom of Movement. Because Freedom of Movement is important.

The need of combat role is true, I think it should have one. But I don't know how to give it one other than one it can use when running, as in the game. I never thought of this as what a PC would be using in the heart of battle. Perhaps this is more of an NPC class than a PC. In my campaign, at least, the person using this class will be an NPC. Although, I'm up for suggestions on how to make it more of a combat class. And yes, I think I should give it freedom of movement.

Run-By attacks needs clarification. Does the stun have a save?

It should have one, you're right. Maybe 10 + Runner level + Str Modifier?

Momentum is fairly good in damage terms, but the build up for damage is too large compared to other abilities, like... Stormguard Warrior.

...<snippit>...

Pretty clear, though I wonder why Momentum increments in 5, since there is very little that will cause a Momentum score to not be divisible by 5. You could just multiply the bonus of jump checks, etc. by 5, and leave momentum capped at class level, or similar.

I agree with you here, and I also agree that I could lessen the scale of Momentum. How about: For damage:2x Momentum score; for bonus to skills: 4x Momentum score and Cap for Momentum: Runner Level. Momentum increases by 1 every 20 feet of running.

Most of the early abilities are "dead" or uninteresting. Spread out the cool, game-based abilities into the earlier levels more, perhaps in reduced forms.

I could try that, but I guess it might be easier to add a few little gimmicks to the ones already there, e.g.: Vaults: You get a free unarmed attack against anyone standing behind the obstacle and if you make a bull rush or overrun attempt, they don't get attacks of opportunity.

Most of the first few class abilities are just improving a character's "running away" skills, what with endurance helping them run for longer, evasion letting them be unhindered by AoE spells, vaults to help them run in a straight line, unhindered and energy bursts so that they can make it to the end point just a little while away.

Unarmed attack progression is weak. I recommend at least giving out the Tome of Battle Superior Unarmed Strike feat, if not better. If you hand out unarmed damage, make it function like the monk's unarmed strike feature.

I purposefully made Unarmed attack progression weaker than a Monk's, for the very reason that a Monk has spent all their life training in hand-to-hand combat, whilst these kids run up to guys, kick them in the nuts and then run off. However hard they may hit them in the nuts, a Monk, I assume, would do more damage due to hitting them correctly and/or in the right place. I don't know that feat, and I can't find it on Crystalkeep or anything. And also, the Runner's unarmed attack does function like with the feat Improved Unarmed Strike.

Bonuses "Stacking" could be worded better. "This speed increase is cumulative the the increases from the monk class"

It's true, I had a problem with wording this, and this is why: it's not the actual figures which stack with Monk speed bonuses, unarmed strike etc., but the Runner's levels. A level 8 Monk/Runner 5 doesn't get 1d10+1d6 damage but instead does as much damage as a level 13 Monk. (2d6) He also doesn't have a +30 feet as a speed bonus, but a +40 feet bonus (that of a level 13 Monk). And I don't know how to word all that in D&D linguo, and I also don't know if this is a good idea and I shouldn't just make it the same as Monk..?

A lot of the classes features involve running. This is quite similar the the Mirror's Edge gameplay, but rather impractical in many adventures. I would recommend these features be allowed to function when taking a single move action, i.e. movement of at least 20 feet or so in a round.

I like this idea, and it would (IMO) help with the combat face of the class a bit. I'll try and add this to a few abilities.

And I, ignorantly, don't know what an AoO is so I don't know how to help them dodge them. :smalltongue:

Please do post comments and advice, I'd be most happy. :smallbiggrin:

Hawriel
2009-01-08, 07:48 AM
Endurance has absolutely nothing to do with running.

:smallconfused: Have you ever ran? I meen ever in your life ran? Endurence has every thing to do with running. I passingly know the game he is using for a consept. Long distance travel on foot,with very spiderman like althetic jumping from building to building. This is very physicly intensive. A person needs a high endurence to do these things. This character would be pushing the fatigue rules even for the average adventurer. Also running builds helps build endurence.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-08, 08:38 AM
:smallconfused: Have you ever ran? I meen ever in your life ran? Endurence has every thing to do with running. I passingly know the game he is using for a consept. Long distance travel on foot,with very spiderman like althetic jumping from building to building. This is very physicly intensive. A person needs a high endurence to do these things. This character would be pushing the fatigue rules even for the average adventurer. Also running builds helps build endurence.

Well.

You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. Also, you may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
Endurance, the feat, has nothing to do with running. Avoiding damage from overland jogging for two or more hours, perhaps.

But the literal concept of "endurance" has something to do with running.
The literal concept of endurance isn't really related to the feat in any way. An increase in constitution for the purpose of running (which extends the time you can run) might model this better.

Ethrael
2009-01-08, 09:08 AM
Well.

Endurance, the feat, has nothing to do with running. Avoiding damage from overland jogging for two or more hours, perhaps.

But the literal concept of "endurance" has something to do with running.
The literal concept of endurance isn't really related to the feat in any way. An increase in constitution for the purpose of running (which extends the time you can run) might model this better.

Endurance, the feat, does have a little to do with running, but I see what you mean: that there's a lot more in it to do with swimming and overall toughness. I guess I could swap it out for an ability that says you can continue running and jumping and climbing for triple the amount of time you normally would but I thought Endurance would have been good for that too.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-08, 08:19 PM
The need of combat role is true, I think it should have one. But I don't know how to give it one other than one it can use when running, as in the game. I never thought of this as what a PC would be using in the heart of battle. Perhaps this is more of an NPC class than a PC. In my campaign, at least, the person using this class will be an NPC. Although, I'm up for suggestions on how to make it more of a combat class. And yes, I think I should give it freedom of movement.

Most classes should have some function in combat, even if it is only progression of existing features, or defensive functions. Classes designed for NPC's are fine, and this gives a lot of abilities that look neat for that.

It should have one, you're right. Maybe 10 + Runner level + Str Modifier?

That's a pretty standard sort of DC. Perhaps base the DC on Dexterity instead, since the class and that ability seem to be focused on speed rather than pure force.

I agree with you here, and I also agree that I could lessen the scale of Momentum. How about: For damage:2x Momentum score; for bonus to skills: 4x Momentum score and Cap for Momentum: Runner Level. Momentum increases by 1 every 20 feet of running.

Nice typing there.

I could try that, but I guess it might be easier to add a few little gimmicks to the ones already there, e.g.: Vaults: You get a free unarmed attack against anyone standing behind the obstacle and if you make a bull rush or overrun attempt, they don't get attacks of opportunity.

Plausibly. It's sort of an incentive for taking a class, to make the early levels interesting. Just what "interesting" means is a different story, but you don't want to leave every scaling, applicable ability for much later levels. Momentum, for example, is a neat ability that scales with level nicely.

Most of the first few class abilities are just improving a character's "running away" skills, what with endurance helping them run for longer, evasion letting them be unhindered by AoE spells, vaults to help them run in a straight line, unhindered and energy bursts so that they can make it to the end point just a little while away.

Whoa, you improved Energy Bursts a lot. A +4 bonus to hit is pretty powerful (Almost making up the Base Attack bonus difference), when it lasts as long as the runner is not fatigued. Adding the penalty of Fatigue to some class features might make this more interesting, though Exhaustion, with its speed penalty, would hurt a lot.

Unarmed strike probably works fine, with similar damage to weapons

It's true, I had a problem with wording this, and this is why: it's not the actual figures which stack with Monk speed bonuses, unarmed strike etc., but the Runner's levels. A level 8 Monk/Runner 5 doesn't get 1d10+1d6 damage but instead does as much damage as a level 13 Monk. (2d6) He also doesn't have a +30 feet as a speed bonus, but a +40 feet bonus (that of a level 13 Monk). And I don't know how to word all that in D&D linguo, and I also don't know if this is a good idea and I shouldn't just make it the same as Monk..?

Nope, works fine. If the Runner previously had monk levels, her Runner levels stack with her monk levels to determine her speed bonus and unarmed damage. If the runner does not have Monk levels, her bonus to speed and unarmed damage progression are given on the table.
I would note that this makes monk a very attractive dip for a runner, if only for the speed boost, but that was already the case.

I like this idea, and it would (IMO) help with the combat face of the class a bit. I'll try and add this to a few abilities.

And I, ignorantly, don't know what an AoO is so I don't know how to help them dodge them. :smalltongue:

Thanks for incorporating my feedback. AoO is Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm). Adding bonuses to AC against these, like the Mobility feat, would be fairly in tune with running past opponents, etc. Not critical though, just felt flavor-appropriate.

Sure Step could easily note "The Runner may ignore difficult terrain" or similar, just because it seems appropriate.

Reaction time: When using it too often, when does the daze occur? After Reaction Time, or before?

20 foot run-up can be replaced with "A running start".

Wall running would be easier to convert in-game in increments of five feet. As it is, 10 Momentum should yield a run of 32 feet, not 28.

While Bounce and Wall Run make sense if you have been following Mirror's Edge, they're confusing if you haven't seen those performed. Also, "currently running" is rather poorly defined. Hm.

"A runner with Momentum 2 or greater can take part of one of her move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if she begins and ends her move on a horizontal surface. The height she can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If she do not end her move on a horizontal surface, she falls prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for her distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring her movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; she can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as she moves up the wall.
She can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows her to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area she threatens; however, if she is somehow prevented from completing her move, she falls. Likewise, she could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity."

Ripped from the Psionic Feat, Up The Walls. You could also say "When the runner has Momentum 2 or greater, she gains the benefits of the Up The Walls feat (Expanded Psionics Handbook)"

I think the normal movement rules allow the jump part, though you may wish to include a special provision, i.e. "This ability allows the runner to jump off of vertical surfaces, so long as she lands on a horizontal surface at the end of her movement"

Bouncing is harder.

A Bounce counts as a move action
This is contradicted by

and so a Runner may make as many Bounces whose distance adds up to the total distance possible to travel.
So... as part of a move action, a Runner may choose to Bounce, making a jump while climbing a vertical surface. She makes a Jump check to determine the distance and height she travels, and a climb check with the wall's DC to ensure she catches onto the wall. If her jump check is insufficient to reach the wall she Bounces towards, she falls. If she fails the climb check, she falls, though she may attempt to catch herself.

Ethrael
2009-01-09, 03:41 PM
Most classes should have some function in combat, even if it is only progression of existing features, or defensive functions. Classes designed for NPC's are fine, and this gives a lot of abilities that look neat for that.

As I mentioned later on in my previous post, I think the "running start" instead of running for a few rounds may be able to help that. I imagine a monk who sees a foe a little further down the battlefield, starts running, vaults over a halfing in front of him runs up to his enemy and flying kicks him in the face. :smallbiggrin: (Sorry for the racism against halflings there)

Plausibly. It's sort of an incentive for taking a class, to make the early levels interesting. Just what "interesting" means is a different story, but you don't want to leave every scaling, applicable ability for much later levels. Momentum, for example, is a neat ability that scales with level nicely.

Whoa, you improved Energy Bursts a lot. A +4 bonus to hit is pretty powerful (Almost making up the Base Attack bonus difference), when it lasts as long as the runner is not fatigued. Adding the penalty of Fatigue to some class features might make this more interesting, though Exhaustion, with its speed penalty, would hurt a lot.

I think now I would have to swap around Vault and Energy Bursts. I think I will...

AoO is Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm). Adding bonuses to AC against these, like the Mobility feat, would be fairly in tune with running past opponents, etc. Not critical though, just felt flavor-appropriate.

Should I add that as another class feature or should I just mention it under another, perhaps the new version of Endurance I'll put in soon?

When I said "A Bounce counts as a move action" I meant that "Bouncing" counts as a move action, i.e., the ability falls under move actions.

I do agree that Momentum may be a good ability to put as first level, and have it as something running throughout the levels. What does everyone think?

Fredthefighter
2009-01-09, 03:55 PM
Well, that seems like a pretty good class, the first prestige class (In my opinion) that would actually fit very well onto the Monk base class, possibly giving the monk a much needed boost in efficiency.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-09, 04:13 PM
I think this class has a nice combat role, bringing mobility strongly to the table.

However, I'm pretty sure Run-by attacks are now overpowered. They can be used too often, they have too strong an effect, and there are too many of them. So.

Limit the uses per day, increase the momentum requirement (to 4 or 5) (while removing the running start option of set-up), and/or reduce the number of attacks. The ability requires too many saves, among other things.

Hm. I'd force just one save for the entire attack, and only allow a single extra attack in any case, which should limit the full attacks, while reducing the crazy stun potential. However, it's still very possible to spam by moving back and forth.

It shouldn't be usable every round. Set a Momentum requirement of 6 or something, so it can only be used every other round at most, and force one save. The rest should be OK from there. "An opponent struck by one or more attacks made as part of a Run-By Attack must make a fortitude save (DC 10+Runner level + Runner strength modifier) or be stunned for one round. A stunned creature..... "

If you're moving Momentum back a few levels, and want to add a bonus to AC for AoO's, just include "A runner gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity equal to twice her current Momentum." Or something similar.

When I said "A Bounce counts as a move action" I meant that "Bouncing" counts as a move action, i.e., the ability falls under move actions.

Oh, I think I get it. Sorry. An individual bounce requires a move action? In that case...

As a move action, a Runner may choose to Bounce, making a jump while climbing a vertical surface. She makes a Jump check to determine the distance and height she travels, and a climb check with the wall's DC to ensure she catches onto the wall. If her jump check is insufficient to reach the wall she Bounces towards, she falls. If she fails the climb check, she falls, though she may attempt to catch herself.

I'd note that the jump rules already include rules for what happens if you jump further than your speed, specifically,
If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.

Ethrael
2009-01-09, 04:35 PM
Thanks very much for the compliment Fred, it's greatly appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

However, I'm pretty sure Run-by attacks are now overpowered.

I've hardly changed them at all. I gave them a save and I simply described what stunning does.

I think I will move Momentum down to first level, it'll not only give the first few levels something more to them, but it'll also have more of a progression.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-09, 06:20 PM
Thanks very much for the compliment Fred, it's greatly appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

I've hardly changed them at all. I gave them a save and I simply described what stunning does.

I think I will move Momentum down to first level, it'll not only give the first few levels something more to them, but it'll also have more of a progression.

I know, I just really didn't notice them before. I'm trying to get around to everything, but I didn't really notice that you had an at-will stun/full attack on every attack. Actually, how did you have it worded originally? I think the run up, instead of momentum requirement, may have made it easier to execute. Quick attack should be replaced with standard action attack.

Ethrael
2009-01-09, 06:52 PM
True, I should put a cap on the Stunning, possibly the same as it says in the feat. Although, it is a 7th level ability, maybe the full attack/normal attack bonus could stay.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-10, 10:12 PM
True, I should put a cap on the Stunning, possibly the same as it says in the feat. Although, it is a 7th level ability, maybe the full attack/normal attack bonus could stay.

I'll agree that the full attacks are OK, but the thing is that it shouldn't be usable every round, nor should it force a ton of saves. Mind you, putting a cap based on Momentum forces the Runner not to attack, which makes the entire thing trickier. Hm...

Ethrael
2009-01-21, 03:32 PM
I'll agree that the full attacks are OK, but the thing is that it shouldn't be usable every round, nor should it force a ton of saves. Mind you, putting a cap based on Momentum forces the Runner not to attack, which makes the entire thing trickier. Hm...

((Sorry it took me so long to reply)). :smallredface:

As far as I see, it only forces one Fort save, and the full attacks aren't usable every round, only once you have Momentum 3 or a run-up of 15 feet.

Icewalker
2009-01-24, 01:54 AM
Very cool class. This has been done before, although I don't remember the specifics.

First off though, it's Parkour. This class is a traceur with setting-specific fluff. This isn't a criticism, just a clarification into its actual terminology.

The only real comments I have about the class are that Sure Step and Energy Bursts are a little confusingly phrased.

making jump, climb, balance or tumble checks and may therefore take 10 even when stress and distraction would normally not permit her
By adding 'therefore' in there, it clarifies that the previous line is description, and the mechanical effect of this 'no longer affected by adverse conditions' is the taking 10 mechanic.

If she is fatigued, she no longer receives penalties from it, but anything that would normally cause fatigue makes her exhausted, as per usual

Is what you have. I suggest making some change here, although I'm not sure where...the phrase 'she no longer receives penalties from it' feels a little off.

Ethrael
2009-01-24, 05:05 AM
Very cool class. This has been done before, although I don't remember the specifics.

First off though, it's Parkour. This class is a traceur with setting-specific fluff. This isn't a criticism, just a clarification into its actual terminology.

The only real comments I have about the class are that Sure Step and Energy Bursts are a little confusingly phrased.

By adding 'therefore' in there, it clarifies that the previous line is description, and the mechanical effect of this 'no longer affected by adverse conditions' is the taking 10 mechanic.

Is what you have. I suggest making some change here, although I'm not sure where...the phrase 'she no longer receives penalties from it' feels a little off.

How's it now? I changed and Energy bursts a little, just clarifying the stuff that no longer affects her, although I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the phrasing for Sure Step. I thought adverse conditions when making one of those checks gave you penalties and that it had nothing to do with being able to take 10 or not. So I put in the not affected by adverse conditions and also the take 10.

Also, when has it been done before? Or has a Parkour-y class been done before, is that what you mean? I searched the Homebrew forum for anything that contained "Runner" in it, but nothing about Parkour...

Icewalker
2009-01-25, 04:00 PM
The energy bursts is easier to understand now, yeah.

The adverse conditions...this is kind of vague in dnd. The DM is encouraged to provide slight bonuses or minuses based on circumstances, but that can be anything from distracted to a slick wall to some blurring of eyesight. What qualifies as a 'adverse condition' isn't specifically established. I'm not sure how best to replicate the effect you were looking for in specific mechanics...

This class is a traceur: a parkour artist. Other people have done the same idea before, however not in the context of Mirror's Edge, which is your description. The abilities of Mirror's Edge, this class, and one or two other homebrew classes, are based on the motions of Parkour. Which is cool, and redundancy in homebrew is almost never a bad thing, people can go with whichever they feel applies best to their circumstances. I think this is a very good interpretation of parkour, in a more general dnd adapted way.

Edit: I went and looked up the older traceur class I'd seen before. It was more focused on letting the character do everything parkour lets you, so it was much more detailed with regards to motions, but mechanically it wasn't viable as a character class. Despite being awesome and apt to the inspiration, it wouldn't contribute to an adventuring party. Yours is better shaped as a usable class.

Ethrael
2009-01-26, 03:36 PM
Ah, I see what you're getting at. I should put in something like "adverse reactions stemming from poor external conditions". Basically something to say that it only applies to penalties like a slippery surface or a headwind.

As I think I previously mentioned, my knowledge of parkour is limited, my only actual experience being from Casino Royale at the beginning. I have no idea if this crosses over at all with the other class, but I based it entirely on Mirror's Edge, so it probably wouldn't. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm not sure if I should put this in somewhere, but I've come to realise that this is more of an NPC class than PC, mostly due to the fact that the whole thing is based on running away, making the whole concept of teamwork or working together fly out the window like a pigeon with an adrenaline rush. I guess it could also be used as PC class, but one would only very rarely benefit from its abilities methinks...

quillbreaker
2009-02-10, 11:57 PM
Have you considered tossing in a 1/day mass suggestion that compels targets to chase the runner?