PDA

View Full Version : Physiomagus [3.5 Spells]: PEACH and add your own!

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 01:24 AM
I've been working on spells for a volume written by an evil cleric after doing extensive research, experimentation, and work with healthy, dying, and death prisoners. They tend to use the powers of an innate knowledge of anatomy and the humanoid lifeforce (I use this term abstractly). The fluff for this is still in the works, but my main focus is on the spells, since I am weaker when it comes to the crunchies.

EDIT: The name of this spellbook is "Physiomagus." Better suggestions are welcome.

Without further ado, here are the spells. More should be coming within the next few days.

Blood Sweat
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You suck out much of your target’s blood through their skin, causing them to sweat blood and dealing 1d4+1 temporary Constitution damage. This damage occurs immediately and heals as temporary ability damage usually does; it may not be removed by remove curse or break enchantment.

Metatarsus Warp
Transmutation [Fear; see text]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, F/DF
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or undead creature; see text
Duration: 1 round/level; see text
Saving Throw: See text

The subject’s feet or equivalent body parts twist severely out of shape, with slivers being pulled down several inches and into the ground. This initial effect, for which there is no saving throw, renders the subject unable to walk or use the lower half of their body. The subject may still attack adjacent foes normally, though they suffer a -2 dodge penalty to AC. It also deals 1d4 damage due to these splinters of bone cutting through the target’s flesh and ruins any footwear the subject may have on (magical items are entitled to a Fort save to remain intact).

Freeing one’s self before the duration of the spell is possible, but requires a Strength check of 18. If unsuccessful, the subject remains stuck and takes an additional 1d4 damage. If successful, the subject frees themselves but mangles their feat, causing severe pain and 2d4 damage. If the successful subject fails a Will save, they spend the next round cowering in pain, unable to take any actions.

At the end of the spell, whether the subject freed themselves ahead of time or not, the subject’s bones shrink and revert back to their usual structure, leaving no visible wounds except for tiny puncture holes in the bottom of one’s feet.

This spell only affects undead and monstrous humanoids who have a fairly humanoid bone structure. Undead are immune to the severe pain effect and do not need to make the accompanying Will save.

Arcane Focus: A fragment of bone.

Vitality Tap
Necromancy
Level: Clr 2
Range: Touch
Target: One humanoid target
Duration: 1 minute/level (see text)
Saving Throw: Will negates

You inflict 1d4 Strength damage on your target and gain the same quantity as a bonus to Strength for duration of the spell. These add the usual penalties and benefits to strength-related checks (including attacks).

Lappy9000
2009-01-10, 01:37 AM
Wow, that's some beastly stuff, there!

Balanced? Not sure (seems fine, from what little I can tell)

Totally awesome when on the spell-list of a war-necromancer/evil cleric? Yes :smallcool:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 06:07 PM
Thanks very much, lappy9000! And here are two more spells...

Anatomical Precision
Divination
Level: Clr 1
Target: One friendly creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text

On the target’s next melee attack, if successful, they hit their opponent just right so that they must make a Fort save or drop whatever weapon, shield, or item they are holding. The attacker must specify which limb and hence which item they are targeting; the defender gets a +4 bonus to their Fort save if their weapon or other item is being held with both hands. This does not function like usual disarming in combat in that opposed checks are not made and the target’s melee attack does not provide an attack of opportunity.

This spell only works against humanoid opponents. If the target’s next melee attack is against a creature of any other type, there is no effect and they lose the effects of the spell. If the target’s next melee attack is unsuccessful, they lose the spell’s benefit.

Replenish
Necromancy
Level: Clr 1
Components: V, S, M
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (see below)

Your body begins replenishing its blood at a magically enhanced rate, healing you 1d3 damage per round. You may not exceed your maximum hp. Upon reaching that point, you no longer heal damage unless you again drop below maximum before the spell ends, at which case it picks up again at the same rate (without any retroactive healing from previous rounds where you were at maximum hp).

After the spell has replenished hp equal to 2 times your caster level or it has lasted for 1 round per caster level, whichever comes first, it ends.

Material Component: A vial of humanoid blood.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-10, 06:21 PM
I think the magic item save for Metatarsus Warp should be Fort. Should also provavly carry the [Fear; See Text] descriptor.

Is Vitality Tap STR damage or STR drain?

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 06:58 PM
I think the magic item save for Metatarsus Warp should be Fort. Should also provavly carry the [Fear; See Text] descriptor.

Is Vitality Tap STR damage or STR drain?

Vitality Tap is Str damage. Thanks for pointing that out; I shall go to clarify it...

Good suggestion for the Metatarsus Warp, though I admit I envisioned it as "Yes, it really hurts. Can you suck it up or are you going to have a break down?" which struck me as Will. I will certainly give it some thought though, and if anyone else agrees I shall likely change it. Fear descriptor is a good idea too. Thanks very much!

Fax Celestis
2009-01-10, 07:05 PM
Vitality Tap is Str damage. Thanks for pointing that out; I shall go to clarify it...

Good suggestion for the Metatarsus Warp, though I admit I envisioned it as "Yes, it really hurts. Can you suck it up or are you going to have a break down?" which struck me as Will. I will certainly give it some thought though, and if anyone else agrees I shall likely change it. Fear descriptor is a good idea too. Thanks very much!

Well, the Will save for the person is fine. But the boot destruction save should be a Fort save. After all, you're determining if the boots themselves are tough enough to survive being torn up.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 07:06 PM
Well, the Will save for the person is fine. But the boot destruction save should be a Fort save. After all, you're determining if the boots themselves are tough enough to survive being torn up.

Excellent point. Just went and changed it. :smallsmile:

Llama231
2009-01-10, 08:27 PM
I agree with Fax. Metatarsus Warp is a little overpowered, and should probably go with Fort.

I am not very good at fluff, but if you are taking suggestions:

Borrow
Necromancy
Level: Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V
Duration: Days=to caster level.
Saving Throw: Will lessens

You touch a limb/eye, etc. of a person, and "borrow" control of that for the duration of the spell. the effect varies by what you touch.
Limb: caster is considered to have the limb as their own.
Eye: Caster sees through the eye as if their own, like a third eye.

etc.

You cannot borrow anything more than a limb, etc. of the target.

I would suggest not being a pervert, that has nothing to do with this spell.

Reflection
Necromancy
Range Not sure.
Duration: i round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

The target "reflects upon themselves.
Their eyes roll back into their head and are blinded, and take 1d4 wisdom damage.

I may add more if these are good.

Neek
2009-01-10, 10:21 PM
I love these spells... I got confused on Anatomical Precision, thinking that it caused the friendly to drop their weapon. With friends such as these, who needs enemies! :razz:

And now time for one of my own (somewhat inspired by Borrow Limb, partly inspired by yet again Dr. Strangelove (see also: The Rune of Meothmar the Mad--the concept that helped drive Kubrik's film), and also by the factual, Alien Limb Syndrome.) Warning: I have casted a Wall of Text.

Anarchic Hand
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Chaotic]
Level: Cleric 9, Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: Full-round
Target: One human, monstrous humanoid, or undead
Duration: Permament or 1/minute level; see text
Saving Throw: Will partial

You know where the lines that cross between soul and mind lead, where grey matter and ephemeral presence hold their boundaries. And you're able to carve out a new one, and separate the power of a person from himself, leaving a limb its own mind.

By making a touch attack on a pivotal point on their body, you can leave an arm to its own control. The person touched is required to make a Will save, or their arm (pick one) permanently has its own thoughts and desires. If the person passes their check, their hand still has its own regency, but only for a small duration.

This loss of agency is noticeable to the target. It knows its hand has become alien, and at times is sometimes unaware of the plot of the hand (Wis check DC 15 to notice by the target). This hand acts with its own impulses, its own wants, and desires.

The anarchic hand has all the same physical statistics of the target (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) in terms of attack, damage, ability check, and skill check rolls, however has a new set of mental attributions (roll 4d6 for each statistic, ignoring the lowest roll). The hand may have a separate alignment (roll 2d6), but tends toward Chaotic Neutral.
{table=head] | 1st d6 | 1st d6
1 | Neutral | Good
2-4 | Chaotic | Neutral
5-6 | Lawful | Evil
[/table]

The anarchic hand may have skills and abilities separate from the target. Treat the hand as a first level character, having class skills, abilities, features, and one-handed or light weapon proficiencies (but not shields or armor), and feats appropriate for that class. Classes that provide special bonuses to the entire body are not carried over to the body and are lost (such as increased movement, uncanny dodge, evasion, Wis bonus). An anarchic hand has no hit points, any damage done to it is damage to the target as a whole. An anarchic caster gains the feat, Silent Spell, for free. For each level the target gains, the anarchic hand also gains a level.

An anarchic hand can at (its) 4th level increase one of its mental attributes (Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma), but not its phyical. If the target increases one of these stats, it also applies to the hand.

The anarchic hand, however, cannot learn to speak languages (such as sign language), even with the assistance of magic, but knows how to write any language the target knows (including braille).

Even though the anarchic hand relies on the target's physical senses (it does not gain the ability of any magical or psionic detection, such as those described as supernatural, spell-like, or psionic ability), it can know or see things the target may not (thus is entitled to its own spot and listen and search check to know the presence of anything nearby), it is still unaware of anything that the target is unaware of.

An anarchic hand may attempt to plot or work against the target, but knows quite welll that it requires the target to survive, so its plans are always in the interest to keep the person alive. It may harm their reputation, make actions that are embarrassing or hard to explain to others.

The target may attempt to temporarily regain control of the anarchic hand by making a Constitution check opposed to the hand's Wisdom check. If the check succeeds in the target's favor, the target has control of the hand for 2d10 minutes, minus one minute for each character level and wisdom modifier.

Detecting an anarchic hand is nearly impossible; Detect Magic can be used to reveal some form of Enchantment, however a caster level check versus DC 15 + Caster Level is required to detect this effect. A Miracle or Wish spell grants the target an additional saving throw to throw the hand off.

The target may be a human, a monstrous humanoid, or an undead, provided that it has a hand to lose (this spell will fail on an armles veteran. Try it and watch your XP burn). Despite being a compulsion, this spell can effect intelligent undead (provided that they have an Intelligence score of 3 or more) that have a corporeal form and an arm to lose, albeit the undead target receives a +10 profane bonus on their saving throw.

Mind you, as the caster, that the anarchic hand is not under your control. It may turn against you.

Material component: A fine-crafted effigy of a hand with animate object casted on it the same day this spell is cast (potentially removing a 6th level spell slot for the day, in case of an Cleric).
XP cost: This spell channels 2500 of your experience points in bringing the anarchic hand in existence.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 10:59 PM
I changed the title of the thread, since I see others are interested in adding their own spells. I'm delighted to see all of the interest!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to better word "Anatomical Precision"? I agree that I need to make it clearer; additionally, I am considering making the range personal (instead of being able to cast it on allies) or changing it to next melee attack (unsuccessful ones mean you lose the spell's benefit) to make it more balanced for first level.

Llama: I'd recommend a range of close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) or medium (don't remember) for Reflection. Duration might be better put as "1 round/level (see text)" since the Wisdom damage will last for a day or a few, whereas I assume the blindness is what ends after x number of rounds. As far as Borrow... not sure how that would work out.

Neek: First of all, I am flattered! I've very much enjoyed the spells you've been posting, so it's excellent to see you respond here. Anarchic Hand is fantastic. I don't know as much about high-level spells, but it does not look unbalanced. The description and idea behind it is fantastic and I, too, am a big fan of Dr. Strangelove!

And here's one more...

Olfactory Suppression
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Wiz/Sor 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: 40-ft. radius emanating from the touched point (see text)
Duration: Permanent

Your casting ritual renders an area that you have designated, up to a 40ft radius around you, impervious to smells. Those within the designated area can smell nothing, not even usually odorous materials such as sulfur or rotting flesh, nor pleasant smells such as perfume. Upon entering an area under the effect of this spell, individuals may not immediately notice its presence, but a Wisdom check of 15 alerts them to the unnatural state of the area (though they do not necessarily recognize the spell that caused this effect). The DC is lowered to 10 if the individual notices a material which would usually have a notable stench.

Scent and other abilities which rely upon smell do not function at all in such a zone.

Material Component: 500 gp worth of metallic dust with which to trace the circumference or noncircular outline of the spell’s area.

Llama231
2009-01-10, 11:04 PM
Llama: I'd recommend a range of close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) or medium (don't remember) for Reflection. Duration might be better put as "1 round/level (see text)" since the Wisdom damage will last for a day or a few, whereas I assume the blindness is what ends after x number of rounds. As far as Borrow... not sure how that would work out.

Thanks! That sound good for reflection. I am not very experienced in homebrewing spells.

Borrow is meant to be very specific and is more of a starting idea than a complete spell.

Edit:
Based on the Dr. Who episode "Midnight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(Doctor_Who))" in the 4th season, the voice-stealing thing might make an interesting spell.

Neek
2009-01-11, 12:44 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to better word "Anatomical Precision"? I agree that I need to make it clearer; additionally, I am considering making the range personal (instead of being able to cast it on allies) or changing it to next melee attack (unsuccessful ones mean you lose the spell's benefit) to make it more balanced for first level.

I recommend Caedens Ulnanii Nervam, or simply, Cede the Ulnar (the ulnar nerve being the main nerve that runs down your arm. It's your funny bone as well as the main nerve that controls muscles in the hand.) Cede the Ulnar.

The difference between touch (which includes yourself) and and personal is that is you can always make a magical item out of it. Most Divination spells that provide an insight bonus are personal, especially in regards to True Strike, because it can become too cheesy (a first level use-activated item costs 3000 gp. A bit too cheap for such an effect, especially since it easily duplicates (but doesn't operate like) a disarm attempt. Personal will ensure no magic item can be made.

Neek: First of all, I am flattered! I've very much enjoyed the spells you've been posting, so it's excellent to see you respond here. Anarchic Hand is fantastic. I don't know as much about high-level spells, but it does not look unbalanced. The description and idea behind it is fantastic and I, too, am a big fan of Dr. Strangelove!

Well, I am excellent </humility>. But thank you. I like to make spells, especially weird ones (though I'm getting to the point where I'm about to create a new spell component: spell slot (both the Rune of Meothmar the Mad and this spell require one, a sixth level one, though Sorcerer/Wizard's spell list lacks Animate Object... which is bloody weird).

I originally wrote it to be the same level as Animate Object, but I decided to make it permanent, bumping it up to 7. Then I realized 7 is too powerful, so I pushed it to 8. When I added the fact that the hand can have character classes, I realized it HAS to be a 9th level spell. With no other spell that matches it (other than Clone, that isn't nearly as powerful), I realized 9th fit the bill.

I need to clean up Anarchic Hand because it implies, but does not explicitly state, that it gains a PC or NPC class. I may add a random chart to determine what the class would be. I also need to specify that Armor Check Penalty and Arcane Spell Failure still applies. There's also a few confusing sentences I wrote, to minimalize the amount of abuse that a personality-wielding hand could bring to the table.

Personally, this is one of my favorite spell I've ever created, because let's face it: Any sufficiently crazy character will purposefully give up their saving throw to have a spell-slinging minion at hand (lol).

Also, Dr. Strangelove. ftw.

And here's one more...

Olfactory Suppression
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Wiz/Sor 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: 40-ft. radius emanating from the touched point (see text)
Duration: Permanent

Your casting ritual renders an area that you have designated, up to a 40ft radius around you, impervious to smells. Those within the designated area can smell nothing, not even usually odorous materials such as sulfur or rotting flesh, nor pleasant smells such as perfume. Upon entering an area under the effect of this spell, individuals may not immediately notice its presence, but a Wisdom check of 15 alerts them to the unnatural state of the area (though they do not necessarily recognize the spell that caused this effect). The DC is lowered to 10 if the individual notices a material which would usually have a notable stench.

Divine Focus: 500 gp worth of metallic dust with which to trace the circumference or noncircular outline of the spell’s area.

This is a good effect. However, how does it interact with the Scent ability?

Sereg
2009-01-11, 12:56 AM
This is a good effect. However, how does it interact with the Scent ability?

I think it would be similar to sudden blindness/deafness ie. they would instantly notice and would not have the scent ability in the area of effect.

Limos
2009-01-11, 02:30 AM
Ha ha ha, I love the Hand spell.

I wonder, if a Caster had the feats required that he didn't need to use his hands to cast spells, could he animate both of his arms? It would be hilarious to have a character who is a spellcaster, with two sentient arms which are also spellcasters.

And one arm is Lawful Good, while the other is Chaotic Evil.

Better yet, the one arm is a Paladin. The other arm is a Dread Necromancer.

If I was playing an Evil Cleric with this spell I would cast this on both of a Paladin's arms. Hopefully both arms would end up Evil.

Sereg
2009-01-11, 03:44 AM
Ha ha ha, I love the Hand spell.

I wonder, if a Caster had the feats required that he didn't need to use his hands to cast spells, could he animate both of his arms? It would be hilarious to have a character who is a spellcaster, with two sentient arms which are also spellcasters.

And one arm is Lawful Good, while the other is Chaotic Evil.

Better yet, the one arm is a Paladin. The other arm is a Dread Necromancer.

If I was playing an Evil Cleric with this spell I would cast this on both of a Paladin's arms. Hopefully both arms would end up Evil.

While I also love anarchic hand, I fail to see it being used except for an evil character's amusement, and I doubt they'd spend XP on amusement. I mean I suppose one might take a gamble and cast it on oneself or an ally, hoping to gain an extra ally, but that really is a huge gamble.

DracoDei
2009-01-11, 05:36 AM
Vitality Tap should PROBABLY specify the type of the bonus, just so the stacking doesn't get too out of hand. As it is I think it stacks with everything but itself... which may be what you want for all I know.

Llama231
2009-01-11, 02:05 PM
This (http://www.micahbooks.com/readingroom/humanexperimentation.html) might provide some ideas.

Neek
2009-01-11, 06:27 PM
@Limos, and there's the problem. Why would you give up your spare hand, even as a caster. Still Spell has a +1 spell slot adjustment, and while you could reduce that with Metamagic School Focus, it only applies to one school of spells (I guess you could always just use Fireball and nothing else). This also means that if the hand turns up CE, and you're LG, the hand might just consider murdering your friends. Just to see everyone hate you.

But I am going to limit this spell to one hand. There's no reason why ANYONE would want this twice on themselves, but just in case...

While I also love anarchic hand, I fail to see it being used except for an evil character's amusement, and I doubt they'd spend XP on amusement. I mean I suppose one might take a gamble and cast it on oneself or an ally, hoping to gain an extra ally, but that really is a huge gamble.

I wouldn't consider it just for amusement anymore than Curse is for amusement, or Baleful Polymorph. Cast it on the two-weapon fighting ranger, the zweihander-branding fighter, or the sword-and-shield cleric. This spell can potentially remove not only their trick (no more two weapon fighting, no more x1.5 strength damage, no more shield hand), but also have this hand turn against him by harming his allies (sure, it might want to harm you, but that's the chaotic nature of this spell). If you end up using this on a caster, hope for a new caster hand that eats up all his material components spamming spells pointlessly, just to piss the wizard or sorcerer off (because bat guano is so hard to find :razz:)

Sure, you could cast it as an amusing joke and hope for something weird like a Lawful Good Paladin arm on a neutral evil rogue that rings a bell everytime the rogue tries to steal something. But that's up to the chaotic nature of the spell.

Maerok
2009-01-11, 07:02 PM
Vitality Tap
Necromancy
Target: One humanoid target
Duration: 1 minute/level (see text)
Saving Throw: Will negates

You inflict 1d4 Strength damage on your target and gain the same quantity as a bonus to Strength for duration of the spell. These add the usual penalties and benefits to strength-related checks (including attacks).

Sup, QF?

Is this for the campaign you are running? I'd love to help you out with evil spells. :smallamused:

Vitality Tap should be some kind of enhancement bonus, I believe? As a second level spell, especially, as you could run around bopping commoners for a minute or two. And then, well, you'll be tossing buildings in no time.

Sereg
2009-01-11, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't consider it just for amusement anymore than Curse is for amusement, or Baleful Polymorph. Cast it on the two-weapon fighting ranger, the zweihander-branding fighter, or the sword-and-shield cleric. This spell can potentially remove not only their trick (no more two weapon fighting, no more x1.5 strength damage, no more shield hand), but also have this hand turn against him by harming his allies (sure, it might want to harm you, but that's the chaotic nature of this spell). If you end up using this on a caster, hope for a new caster hand that eats up all his material components spamming spells pointlessly, just to piss the wizard or sorcerer off (because bat guano is so hard to find :razz:)

Sure, you could cast it as an amusing joke and hope for something weird like a Lawful Good Paladin arm on a neutral evil rogue that rings a bell everytime the rogue tries to steal something. But that's up to the chaotic nature of the spell.

Ok, I'll give you that. Yay! I have an excuse to use it now!

The Neoclassic
2009-01-14, 07:44 PM
Vitality Tap should PROBABLY specify the type of the bonus, just so the stacking doesn't get too out of hand. As it is I think it stacks with everything but itself... which may be what you want for all I know.

Good point. I dunno what to term the bonus though; does anyone know where I can find that list of types of bonuses (profane, luck, racial, etc)?

I still have two more spells to finish and put up. In the meantime, I'll be going back to make minor improvements to the other spells I've posted.

Also, thanks to everyone who has given feedback or contributed spells!

Neek
2009-01-15, 04:24 PM
Modifer Types! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes) At the SRD. But rather than typing the ability damage and bonus, I'd just put in the spell description that the caster doesn't benefit from multiple castings of this spell.