PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding what to do...

Gardakan
2009-01-10, 06:01 PM
So i was the DM of a session but one player want to be the DM and me i want to play my own character. We're six(5 players, 1 DM...).

Characters are : Dwarven Defender (Fighter 7/DD 5), Elf Arcane Archer(Sorcerer 1/Fighter 6/Arcane Archer 5), Sorceress 12 and Bardess 12...

I'm thinking of a druid or a wizard/rogue... but in both case we need a healer but i don't find interesting to heal. We need a second way guy to help the fighter. What should i take for class...

I start level 12... with the starting wealth for a level 12 character.

My stats are : 18, 17, 16, 15, 13, 11...

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 06:10 PM
Do you have access to ToB? Play a Crusader. Stand up next to your DD buddy and hit things so hard, he feels better about life (healing strikes). Heck, play a Dwarven Crusader. Use a Waraxe and a large shield, and use mostly Stone Dragon and Devoted Spirit maneuvers, with a little White Raven thrown in because Crusaders don't have so many maneuvers that they can't affort a little.

You get to hit stuff, your team gets healing. Win/Win if you ask me.

Assassin89
2009-01-10, 06:23 PM
You could use a Cleric.

Stats should be set as so:
18 wisdom, 17 constitution, 16 charisma, 15 intelligence, 13 strength, 11 dexterity

charisma is at 16 for turning undead, as wisdom and constitution take priority. If you do not intend to turn undead, put the 13 or 11 in charisma and place strength at 15

A few recommended magic items include a wand of cure light/moderate wounds, wand of bull's strength in order to help the fighter in attacking, or you could use the spells guidance, aid, doom

Grail
2009-01-10, 06:25 PM
You could use a Cleric.

I would second this. Or use any Divine Caster. Favoured Soul, Shugenja, Spirit Shaman, Druid. Your group has 3 Arcane Spellcasters, and the only healer is the Bard.

only1doug
2009-01-10, 06:49 PM
I would second this. Or use any Divine Caster. Favoured Soul, Shugenja, Spirit Shaman, Druid. Your group has 3 Arcane Spellcasters, and the only healer is the Bard.

The OP has clearly stated that he doesn't want to be stuck with healing duties only, your post hasn't suggested anything to help him avoid that.

My suggestions

Rogue with a decent UMD (for wand usage (yes the bard can use cure wands but who heals him?))

Paladin + cure wands for yourself and the bard?

CoDzilla taking a fight focus and still using wands to heal?

Gardakan
2009-01-10, 06:55 PM
Rogue/Wizard with UMD... does that make sense

esorscher
2009-01-10, 07:16 PM
Clericzilla.

S 15
D 11
C 17
I 13
W 18
CH 16

Feats:

Persist Spell
Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
FREE
FREE
FREE

Domains:
Fire (+6 Turn Attempts), War (Free WF: Deity's favored weapon)

Turn Attempts per day: 12

Persist: Righteous Might every morning. (uses 11 turn attempts)

Bam. KICK ASS.

EDIT: Also, you can support healing.

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 07:22 PM
Rogue/Wizard with UMD... does that make sense

Makes perfect sense. Check out the Unseen Seer and Arcane Trickster PrCs to combine them. A pretty standard basic build would be Human Rog1/Wiz4/USS10/AT5 with Able Learner (Races of Destiny) at 1st level so you can keep paying 1 skill point/level for all of your roguey skills. UMD is great for emulating Divine Spellcasting, and there are some doosies out there. On top of the obvious shanananananananananagens involving a Bead of Karma (part of a Strand of Prayer Beads), there is the ability to use a Wand of Lesser Vigor (best cost/hp ratio) and maybe a Wand of Lesser Restoration, or a Scroll of Break Enchantment in case one of your friends gets stoned or cursed.

In combat, character focuses on being not seen (Invis/Hiding) and sniping with weaponlike spells (mostly orbs and rays) to get tasty tasty sneak attack dice stacked on top of spell damage. Pretty standard concept. Read up in Complete Arcane on weaponlike spells for more details.

Clericzilla.
Bam. KICK ASS.

Oh dear...whats wrong with this?

S 15
D 11
C 17
I 13
W 18
CH 16

Not bad, probably the way I would have done it, maybe swap str and cha though.

Feats:

Persist Spell
Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
FREE
FREE
FREE

You are missing Extend Spell, the prereq to take Persist. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Power Attack somewhere in there.

Domains:
Fire (+6 Turn Attempts), War (Free WF: Deity's favored weapon)

You can't use Elemental Turning attempts to fuel Divine MM. Doesn't work that way.

Turn Attempts per day: 12

No, its 6, based on the above.

Persist: Righteous Might every morning. (uses 11 turn attempts)

DMM takes 1 + level adjustment. Since Persist is a +6 mod, DMM: Persist would take 7 attempts, not 11. You are still 1 short. Solved by taking Extra Turning as a feat.

A more optimized build would be to take Cloistered Cleric (UA) and the Planning and Undeath domains to get Extra Turning and Extend Spell for free. Trade the Knowledge domain you get from CC for Knowledge Devotion. Than, as a Human, you take Persist and DMM Persist as your 2 first level feats. From there, you can take Power Attack and then some more Extra Turning feats. Persist Divine Power and Righteous Might as much as possible. Cast Quickened Divine Favor if you really want to get beefy.

Thats the MOST optimized build. I personally don't like DMM because I feel it leaves you too vulnerable to Dispels. I'd rather play a buffer/caster support cleric and do all your damage vicariously through the other party members, but that's just me.

Gardakan
2009-01-10, 07:32 PM
I know about the Unseen Seer but not Able Learner. I will take it as my first feat. For race what do I take...

Sun Elf or Strongheart Halfling

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 07:47 PM
Able Learner requires Human or Changling or Doppleganger as a race, so that takes out Elves and Halflings. Sorry. Oh, I believe Illumen would work as well, since they are human blooded.

You might be able to con your DM into allowing Strongheart Halflings to work, since fluff wise they are distantly related to Humans, just as Stout Halflings are related to Dwarves. That would be the strongest mechanical choice, due to bonus feat and size bonus to to hit and AC. Otherwise, plain ol' Human tends to be the best choice for most builds anyway.

only1doug
2009-01-10, 07:51 PM
I know about the Unseen Seer but not Able Learner. I will take it as my first feat. For race what do I take...

Sun Elf or Strongheart Halfling

Able learner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Able_Learner,) is human or doppleganger only (unless you convince GM otherwise)

Gardakan
2009-01-10, 08:00 PM
Human... i think i must go into that race...

Able Learner is a great feat... but Sun elf grant me + 2 to Int and Dex...

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 08:49 PM
Able Learner is a great feat... but Sun elf grant me + 2 to Int and Dex...

+2 dex is a +1 to hit with orbs and rays which are rediculously easy to hit with already and a +1 to AC and init. Ok, but not that great

+2 int is maybe a bonus spell and +1 DC and a few extra skill points. Since most rays/orbs don't have saves, or still have effects on a made save, DCs aren't that important. The extra skill points would be made up by the fact that you are only spending 1 point due to Able Learner, and then some, which leaves 1 spell not so worth it.

Honestly, I'd say human is your best bet, unless you could convince your DM to allow you to take Able Learner as a Strongheart Halfling. That would be pretty much idea.