PDA

View Full Version : Give coders jobs (so they will stop bothering me)

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 01:07 AM
My computer seems to have caught something. Someone had too much time on their hands and now they can take the fruits of their labor: My computer constantly plays an annoying voice message telling me to reformat my hardrive so i dont infect other computers.
How lame can you get!?

And as of yet that seems to be the only thing it does. As im writing this with 20 tabs, MSPaint, MSword, and an anti-viral software all active. (the last one is so i can remove this damn thing.)

bluewind95
2009-01-12, 01:24 AM
You might want to try HijackThis if your antivirus does not remove the virus.

Lert, A.
2009-01-12, 01:27 AM
I prefer all-out war with no quarter given, but sure. What he ^ said.

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 01:29 AM
I prefer all-out war with no quarter given, but sure. What he ^ said.

Actualy, the proclaimed gender of that person is female.

You might want to try HijackThis if your antivirus does not remove the virus.

I will try that, assuming it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Reminds me of my password hint on my computer: Hack This!

bluewind95
2009-01-12, 01:34 AM
My proclaimed and real gender is female, yeah. :smalltongue:

As for HijackThis, it's free. You do have to know the name of the virus file, but there IS a free way to get to it. I use Avast Antivirus for that. THen I turn on an option that tells you everything it is scanning... so it should tell you the name of the file when the voice is loaded. And you can then remove it with HijackThis. I've done this for viruses that the antivirus either fails to really get rid of, or fails to recognize at all.

Lert, A.
2009-01-12, 01:34 AM
Actualy, the proclaimed gender of that person is female.

This is the internet. I generally use a masculine pronoun as a neutral form, since it is - as you pointed out - a proclaimed gender.
You spelled "actually" wrong, Mr. Nitpick.

My proclaimed and real gender is female, yeah. :smalltongue:
Fine. No offense meant ma'am.

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 01:40 AM
I think i should jsut load my computer down with anti-virals. Any other free ones? I really only have spybot and a scanning-only package for another (not free) software.

bluewind95
2009-01-12, 02:00 AM
I do not recommend installing many antivirus programs. They tend to... clash a bit.

As for a free antivirus, well, there's Avast, AVG and... that's all I know of. Personally I use Avast because of that option where it tells you everything it is scanning (on-access protection, the program calls it). It's neat because even when the antivirus fails, I can at least know which files are the ones loading and remove them myself.

Out of curiosity, what is your operating system?

Fine. No offense meant ma'am.

None taken! :smalltongue:

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 03:59 PM
Windows Vista.

BRC
2009-01-12, 04:01 PM
Personally, I believe that most viruses on the internet are created by a conglamerate of software companies that make Antivirus software. I just don't buy that there are enough bored, malicious programmers to account for the amount of Viruses out there.

bluewind95
2009-01-12, 07:19 PM
Ahh, Vista. I'm not sure if it's like XP where you HAVE to disable recovery in order to get rid of the virus because it will save itself on recovery and just re-install itself. You'll also have to run HijackThis on admin mode.

As for malicious coders...

... I don't think they're really job-less. They're just bored.

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 07:48 PM
Their are only two crackers that i approve of. One who sometimes gets me free junk, and one who targets sites that give him malware/spyware. The rest bug me.

Im running AVG. Lets see how it does.

No Good! It give me 300 warnings about tracking software but no virus alerts and doesnt actualy remove anyhting.

bluewind95
2009-01-13, 12:55 AM
If it doesn't remove them, then you're likely down to using HijackThis.

What HijackThis will do is give you a list of everything your computer is loading. Viruses and spyware will go here. But so will everything else. So what you do is check the things you know are bad... and then click on Fix Selected Problems. That will remove them from the registry and the computer.

... So yeah, just be careful you don't "fix" any legitimate and useful software. But that should take care of a virus.

Stormthorn
2009-01-13, 01:29 AM
If it doesn't remove them, then you're likely down to using HijackThis.

What HijackThis will do is give you a list of everything your computer is loading. Viruses and spyware will go here. But so will everything else. So what you do is check the things you know are bad... and then click on Fix Selected Problems. That will remove them from the registry and the computer.

... So yeah, just be careful you don't "fix" any legitimate and useful software. But that should take care of a virus.

I suppose turning off the background tasts like Internet Explorer would help.

bluewind95
2009-01-13, 01:58 AM
Well, it might help so that there's no "File in use!" error. But unlike Task Manager, it won't give you a list of what is running so much as everything that your computer loads upon startup. So you'll find things like your antivirus listed in there even if you turned it off. You'll find a bunch of things the system actually uses (like the audio drivers, video drivers, etc) and you'll also find whatever your computer is infected with.

My recommendation is that if you find any suspicious entry, you google it. It generally will yield information on whether it's a system thing or a malware. If it's bad, you check it and delete it.

If it comes back... that's when you turn off the system's recovery and try again. And then when you're done, you turn it back on.

Fri
2009-01-13, 03:57 AM
I do not recommend installing many antivirus programs. They tend to... clash a bit.

It's like when two superheroes meet. For some reason or another they'll always fight.

kamikasei
2009-01-13, 05:40 AM
Personally, I believe that most viruses on the internet are created by a conglamerate of software companies that make Antivirus software. I just don't buy that there are enough bored, malicious programmers to account for the amount of Viruses out there.

a) It doesn't really take that many.
b) Botnetting. It's worth money to people to compromise your machine.
c) It's also worth money to make annoying and conspicuous viruses to drive people to click on those "your computer is infected! we can fix it!" popups and so on to give access to more insidiously compromising software (see b above).