PDA

View Full Version : }3.5{ Protecting the Wastes

Deth Muncher
2009-01-12, 01:47 PM
First, campaign intro:
You and your friends (rest of current party) have been living in the town of Shropshire (town of 600, fortifications are a fairly strong perimeter made of petrified wood, the gates are leather with bone framework.) for several years. You have all been granted room and board (in Sand Dollar, tavern) in exchange for defending the town from ongoing Blood Moon goblins. The job hasn’t been hard since the goblins are very cowardly. However a new shaman has appeared in recent raids, bolstering the goblins courage and ferocity. Thirty of the villagers have fallen in combat, and 13 have gone missing. Charles (president) has informed you that he has recently hired the services of the Talon Company, the best mercenaries in the wastes, in hopes of better protecting his people. When the Company arrives you are given a room in Charles home while the Company (200 men) takes up the tavern and makes shacks around the gates. You have been asked to attend the meeting between Charles and the Company leader.

In Charles’ office you are offered a seat while you wait for the mercenary leader. After a short while four men are welcomed in by Charles. The tallest (6ft) introduces himself as the Head of the Shadowsand regiment, Wilkes. Wilkes introduces a man wearing the “in-style” combination of bowler cap and vertically striped suit, with awkward enhancements to make into some sort of “suit-armor”, as Flak, Shadowsand regiment historian. Wilkes then introduces a short ebony skinned man as Sandeyes, who is obviously some sort of magic user (his eyes glow green). Wilkes then introduces a clean cut fellow in a plain suit as Salt, the Shadowsand regiment physician. With the Talon Company Reps introduced it’s your turn to introduce yourself. Afterwards you will discuss how best to deal with the increasingly hostile Blood Moon goblins.

Dnd 3.5
Character creation rules.
Level four
These four levels are only allowed to have content from DMG, PHB, monster Manual, and Sandstorm. It is important you focus on wasteland survival equipment, feats, skills, etc.
Character wealth = 7,000 gold. (This is more than DMG says for 4th level characters.)
Races = None with level adjustment. Otherwise any from sandstorm, PHB, or monster manual.
Character flaws = ask me. You must role play them or you will lose the benefits immediately. (I have a soft spot for the heirloom “flaw”. Ask me about it for further information.)
Role play = Create a character that you can role play. (No barbarians leaving combat to loot. Only rogues get to do that without my wrath.)
Alignment = Any. But you must be willing to work for Talon Company. (Hint: you will join Talon Company)

Right. So I'm going to be in this campaign. I've decided that, as per suit for me, I'm going to play a Sorceror. My issue, though, is how to make this character. The DM has said to focus on survival as opposed to "casting the spells that make the peoples fall down." Well...he didn't say THAT, but that was implied when I asked him if it was kosher for me to go into my usual Fire Blastorceror build, and he replied "Sure, but remember fire won't help you in a firestorm." So, what I need from you guys is ideas on spell selection, feat selection and gear. I don't have stats yet, and won't til Wednesday as I need to roll them in front of him.

I'm not really planning on this guy being optimized, merely fun to play - and roleplay. I've decided on making him sort of the permanently-swathed, silent kind of guy (there's a MTG card that would fit this perfectly, but for the life of me I can't remember), and carrying a twin-bladed sword with him. Featwise, I think I might have to go Heat Endurance and EWP: Double-Bladed Sword (what book is that in, btw? If it's not in the Core 3 + Sandstorm, I'll have to drop it). It's been a while, do I have any other feats at level 4? I think it's 1 for being human and 1 per 3 levels? Oh, and before you ask, "Why the sword?" it's because my DM is a fan of the Heirloom Flaw, which is on the D&D Wiki site. So...help? Thanks guys! I'll be back in a couple of hours, so I hope to come back to lots of suggestions!

Tacoma
2009-01-12, 05:46 PM
You ... have to be part of Talon Company?

You ... cannot be greedy unless you're a Rogue?

You ... are playing this character or is your DM playing it?

That little gripe off my chest, I suggest you look through the Sandstorm book and see if you can identify the Talon NPC leaders as anything specific. Your DM might be using Sandstorm for the monsters too, in which case I'd figure out what the most common types of powers are available to you there and assume that's what most monsters will have.

Cold-based spells that create ice are nice (unless Sandstorm has some kind of special rules about them) because not only will nobody be resistant to cold, they might take extra damage from it, and it counts as a massive Create Frosty Drinks of Water spell. Not to mention Preserve the Corpses, Make People Slip and Fall, and Paralyze Them With Chill or Outright Stuck in a Block of Ice.

Since you're a Sorcerer you might want that heirloom weapon to be a crossbow. Just a thought.

Flickerdart
2009-01-12, 06:01 PM
The Endure Elements lvl 1 spell will protect you from hot environments up to 140F, so you'll be fine in the desert. 24 hour duration is nice to have, too. You should have enough spell slots soon enough to cover the party in these. Resist Energy the 2nd level spell can give you Resist 10 to an energy type, though it only lasts for 10 minutes per caster level (so 400 rounds, which is good enough in combat, but not so much while walking somewhere) and Protection from Energy (3rd level) that absorbs the first 12 points of damage per caster level from an energy type you choose. Not as useful, but better if you want to use the "I cast Fireball, centred on myself" tactic a lot later on. Leomud's Tiny Hut (3rd level) will do much better, as it lasts for 2 hours/caster level and protects against the elements, though it cannot be moved.

As a Sorcerer, you don't have many spells to pick. Choose wisely.

Side note: in a scorching desert, Grease becomes a lot more dangerous, since it'll be piping hot when people slip and fall into it. Your DM may also rule that Cold spells aren't as strong in the heat. Choose location-appropriate spells.

Lesser Tiefling (LA 0) has Resist Fire 5, as well, which should help out, although it incurs a Charisma penalty.

Khatoblepas
2009-01-12, 06:38 PM
The DM's horrid roleplaying restrictions aside (seriously, what.) your choices seem... a little strange. When will you ever attack with the sword? Isn't it a bit easily taken off of you? The DM looks like he's one to screw over players like that.

Instead, consider a piece of armor instead. Bracers of Armor +1 or +2 are a good choice, as the Heirloom will either increase the AC bonus by 3, or double the effectiveness of the item. An Amulet of Natural Armor is more costly, but if you get to increase it's power, better in the long run (Natural Armor > Armor Bonus, since you can just enhance a robe or silk swathes). AND you can hide them underneath clothing, ensuring that the DM can't have every giant beastie disarm or sunder it.

Sand Shaper is INCREDIBLY good for bonus spells, if nothing else. It's also quite nice for the later abilities, though you might not want to lose two caster levels, though the effectiveness of your spells doesn't go down. It also gives lots of neat buff spells as 1st level ones. Sand Shaping is good for when you need a tool quickly.

It's a shame Frostburn isn't available for this campaign, as Snowcasting, Cold Focus et all would make you a beast in the desert.

BobVosh
2009-01-12, 06:57 PM
Not sure how long your campaign is going to go, but the dry lich is a lot of fun to play. I think that is what it is called. In the sandstorm anyway.

JeminiZero
2009-01-12, 08:00 PM
In view of survival, I'm going to suggest making your race Warforged or Elan. Either can go without food water indefinitely (although the Elan needs rest). Warforged are particularly resilient to environmental effects, and can be found in one of the Monster Manual.

Unfortunately, both come with Cha penalties making them ill suited for Sorcery. If you go down this route, you might change your class to something else.

Deth Muncher
2009-01-12, 10:39 PM
Hm. I posted a reply, but it didn't process.

So, let's work backwards. The Elan violates the LA/Non-Core rule, as does Warforged, although both would be hilarously awesome. Also, the Lesser Aisimar is out too, since it's from the WotC site and not the books.

I think I'm going to pick Sand Shaper over Dry Lich, only because I've seen a Sand Shaper in action and it's absolutely insane. I mean, it's a great boon for any Sorceror, as it gives you SO MANY more spells to your list. The DM has decided to remove Touchstones from the game, and in its place he has Drift Magic as a Pre-Req for SS, under the condition that I spend time in-game figuring out how Drfit Magic actually works first.

As to the Heirloom, I think that going with a piece of armor/armor granting item is the way to go. I like the Silk Swathes from Sandstorm, and with the Heirloom jiggy it'd be a +4 AC with a 5% ASF (is there any way to get rid of that using the Core 3?), which would be nice. Or, alternatively, put the Heirloom bonus on an Amulet of Natural Armor +1. Assuming that one works, I'd get +4 Natural Armor (or +2, depending on how the DM rules on the wording of the flaw). The question, though, is this: If I have Mage Armor up, as well as Shield, do they both stack with the Silk Swathes? I.e. MA (+4) and S(+4) with the SiSwa(+1) = +9 AC? Does that stack? If so, then going MA + S+ Masterwork Heirloom SiSwa should give me a +13 to AC (when I have them all up, of course). The masterwork Silk Swathes should only cost 1400 EDIT: 550GP, as well as letting them be enchanted later on. I also plan on getting the Ironroot extract and putting it on it to get the +1AC for a week at a time. Alternatively, Bracers of Armor +1 are 1k, and the Ammy of Nat. Arm. is 2k. Is it worth it to make either the heirloom?

As per the Endure Elements, I was going to get the Sandals of Sandstriding that give me that constantly, although the party might appreciate it. But really, I think a wand of EE would be more helpful than burning all my 1st level slots per day.

As to Grease, I plan on using this very much. Not to mention, there's actually a substance in Sandstorm which is, basically, grease in a flask. Highly flamable, highly viscuous (not to be confused with vicious) and functions as insect repellant.

As to the RP Restrictions: I'm going to play my character as I damn well please, which may include looting of the dead during a battle if I'm not able to contribute. I mean, I know why the DM puts that down, because generally people we play with have a tendency to do so and ignore the rest of the party. Not to mention, it kinda bogs down the combat if you have to stop and say everything that the guy owns. As for joining the Talon Corp, I think it's because we (in the backstory) failed at doing our duty since this shaman guy has showed up (the DM is a WH Fantasy Gobbo Player, hence the affinity for the goblin references) and so would be "backed up" by the Talon Corp.

Khatoblepas
2009-01-13, 04:26 AM
As to the Heirloom, I think that going with a piece of armor/armor granting item is the way to go. I like the Silk Swathes from Sandstorm, and with the Heirloom jiggy it'd be a +4 AC with a 5% ASF (is there any way to get rid of that using the Core 3?), which would be nice. Or, alternatively, put the Heirloom bonus on an Amulet of Natural Armor +1. Assuming that one works, I'd get +4 Natural Armor (or +2, depending on how the DM rules on the wording of the flaw). The question, though, is this: If I have Mage Armor up, as well as Shield, do they both stack with the Silk Swathes? I.e. MA (+4) and S(+4) with the SiSwa(+1) = +9 AC? Does that stack?

Don't go Heirloom Silk Swathes. It gives you an ASF, and even 5% is pretty bad. And it doesn't stack with Mage Armor, as both give an Armor bonus.

Amulet of Natural Armor is a Natural Armor Bonus. It will stack with Mage Armor and Shield, and it will either give you a +8 or a +10 NA bonus because of Heirloom if you upgrade it. Silk Swathes will give +4, period. Mage Armor that sucka.

Partysan
2009-01-13, 04:09 PM
If you like fire-blasting, consider searing spell. It's in Sandstorm IIRC and it lets your fire spells ignore fire resistance and do half damage to fire-immune creatures (of which there will be quite a few in the desert). It isn't very optimal, but if fire's the way to go, then it could be interesting (energy substitution is better though, especially for a sorcerer).

Deth Muncher
2009-01-13, 08:01 PM
Don't go Heirloom Silk Swathes. It gives you an ASF, and even 5% is pretty bad. And it doesn't stack with Mage Armor, as both give an Armor bonus.

Amulet of Natural Armor is a Natural Armor Bonus. It will stack with Mage Armor and Shield, and it will either give you a +8 or a +10 NA bonus because of Heirloom if you upgrade it. Silk Swathes will give +4, period. Mage Armor that sucka.

I actually brought up the Silk Swathes idea to my DM, and he said he'd be willing, if I made them my Heirloom item, to knock 10% ASF off of any Sandstorm Light Armor, as well as letting me retain their Armor Bonus while Flat-Footed. Is this enough to make the Swathes my armor of choice? If I make them Masterwork, it actually ends up that the Swathes should give me a +5 AC bonus (Base of +1, plus Masterwork +1, doubled for being heirloom, and then apply Ironwood Extract for another +1). Even without the extract, it's just as good as Mage Armor and doesn't require me to waste a spell on it. And I keep it whilst flatfooted.

He does mention, though, that the Swathes follow the same rules as full-plate for being worn. I remember reading that in the book, but not ever actually having USED full plate, I don't know what that entitles. I assume not being able to don hastily, and having a very long time to put on/take off?

Deth Muncher
2009-01-14, 10:59 PM
Oh hai. So apparently, if I take the Swathes as my Heirloom jiggy, I'll also get Eschew Materials for free says the DM. Which makes me pretty set on that as opposed to something else, because while something else might be easier to cheese out (like the AoNA), if he's making me keep track of material components...yeah.

To get it all together, making my Masterwork Silk Swathes my Heirloom would mean:

- +4AC (+5 with Ironroot)
- Can keep it's AC bonus while flatfooted (DM bonus rule)
- Eschew Materials for free (DM bonus rule)
- No ASF% (Dm bonus rule)

ericgrau
2009-01-14, 11:13 PM
See if he doesn't mind blowing a level 3 spell every day when he hits level 5; that'll cover food and water for everyone. Or maybe get a ring of sustenance for 2500gp, though that's a bit steep to support just one person at your level.

While I'd be prepared for emergencies, I wouldn't dedicate a known spell to every one. Consider scrolls for rare ones, especially if you can do it with a low level spell.

shadowfox
2009-01-14, 11:37 PM
Since I haven't seen this covered...:
Double bladed sword? Do you, by any chance, mean the two-bladed sword, as found in the PHB? (page 117 on the chart, described on page 121, right column).

As for other things:
Including the Flaw, you have 3 feats: 1 for your normal Level 1 feat, 1 for being Human, 1 for taking a Flaw (which, although technically your choice, I think the feat your DM decided to give to you is a good choice (but what would I know? I usually play a rogue! (Dead serious))), and 1 feat for reaching level 3.
Keeping your Armor bonus while Flat-Footed is standard. Did he, by any chance, mean you keep your Dex bonus while Flat-Footed (the ability modifier that you normally lose when flat-footed), or that you keep your AC bonus for purposes of Touch Attacks?

It is awfully nice of him to overlook the 10% ASF, though...

Watch out, though. If any of the other PCs have played with this DM before, ask them if he makes you keep track of spell components. If he normally doesn't, then I'd be cautious. If you go into the campaign, and you use spell components that Eschew Materials doesn't cover and he doesn't really seem to care, I'd talk it over with him about giving you a worthless feat. Though, if he recommends it, he probably makes spellcasters keep track of it.

As with fire-based spells... Well, I know of some fire-type spells that can cut through a Red Dragon. Mainly Hellfire-related, which, unfortunately, is in the Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Useful little bugger, Hellfire is. Mechanically, for purposes of immunities and resistances, it doesn't even count as fire!

As for spells, I really can't help you... Shocking Grasp, Lightning, Chain Lighting... That's really all I can contribute (though I think you have to wait for the last two).

Deth Muncher
2009-01-15, 12:28 AM
Since I haven't seen this covered...:
Double bladed sword? Do you, by any chance, mean the two-bladed sword, as found in the PHB? (page 117 on the chart, described on page 121, right column).

As for other things:
Including the Flaw, you have 3 feats: 1 for your normal Level 1 feat, 1 for being Human, 1 for taking a Flaw (which, although technically your choice, I think the feat your DM decided to give to you is a good choice (but what would I know? I usually play a rogue! (Dead serious))), and 1 feat for reaching level 3.
Keeping your Armor bonus while Flat-Footed is standard. Did he, by any chance, mean you keep your Dex bonus while Flat-Footed (the ability modifier that you normally lose when flat-footed), or that you keep your AC bonus for purposes of Touch Attacks?

It is awfully nice of him to overlook the 10% ASF, though...

Watch out, though. If any of the other PCs have played with this DM before, ask them if he makes you keep track of spell components. If he normally doesn't, then I'd be cautious. If you go into the campaign, and you use spell components that Eschew Materials doesn't cover and he doesn't really seem to care, I'd talk it over with him about giving you a worthless feat. Though, if he recommends it, he probably makes spellcasters keep track of it.

As with fire-based spells... Well, I know of some fire-type spells that can cut through a Red Dragon. Mainly Hellfire-related, which, unfortunately, is in the Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Useful little bugger, Hellfire is. Mechanically, for purposes of immunities and resistances, it doesn't even count as fire!

As for spells, I really can't help you... Shocking Grasp, Lightning, Chain Lighting... That's really all I can contribute (though I think you have to wait for the last two).

Actually, I don't think he's going to let me get a feat from this particular flaw, due to the fact of how much niftiness he's giving me in the first place for it. That said, I could do some other flaw: I was thinking unnatural fear of Saguaro Cacti.

Yes, I did mean the two-bladed sword as described on that page, but if I'm going to go with the Swathes as my heirloom, I doubt wasting the feat on EWP:TBS would necesarily be worth it. Although he might approve of it for story value, at least. He's big on making the story extra-awesome.

I do, now that you mention it, recall the fact that Armor Bonuses should be kept when FF. I'll have to bring that up to him to see if he means to keep Dex when flat footed.

@ Eric: Too true. I mean, I don't have that many spells per day at the moment, so I'd prefer not to be blowing them on the party. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want the party to survive. I'd just prefer they were sufficient enough without me. There are enough ways to be able to resist the heat and dangers of the elements than my doing it for them with a wave of my fingers. Damn lazy adventurers, always expecting me to magic up some...oh, sorry, ranting.