PDA

View Full Version : Macchali [Race]

Latronis
2006-10-08, 05:32 AM
I don't think as it is its powerful enough to be LA+1 which i tried to stay away from. I'm asking for some balance checks and critique if you can take time from your busy schedules ;D

MACCHALI

The Macchali (Singular: Macchali) are amphibious humanoids who reside beneath the waves are reknowned for their cunning, feared for thier natural talent with psionics and isloated due to their alien appearance and mindset.

Macchali society is divided into a proto-caste system, one that some brave, and perhaps foolish, scholars claim is the origin of the Great Empire's Caste system.

Physical Description

Coming as soon as i find my notes.

Personality\Relations.

Macchali tend to think of themselves and their own clutch first, with other Macchali a distant second above the lesser races That doesn't stop them associating with others when the need arises (and are often concisdered as tools or an unsavoury means to an end) however and they maintain a cordial relationship with
the other races, especially with humans. Seakin are viewed with something akin to the way many humans view halflings.

Halflings and Macchali just don't get along, before the Human Empire swallowed halflings lands halflings considered them evil spirits and still distrust them, Macchali hold disdain for any race who don't offer them respect.

Alignment

Macchali have no particular racial bent on the good or evil axis, good and evil characters showing up in roughly equal amounts, with The Yoddha-Macchali having a higher concentration of good characters and the Bhuta-having a slightly higher tendency towards neutral evil. Macchali have a tendency towards Neutral on the law-chaos axis however.

Macchali "Lands"

Once Macchali were once found all over the world, due to persecution due to the belief that they were an inherently magical race they retreated to the waters surrounding the Great Southern Continent and were instrumental in erecting the Barrier reef along with the human empire that set the land apart from the rest of the world. All Other Macchali were eventually hunted to extinction. In this Age Macchali can be found in any major body of salt water around the continent and have a presence along the coast of the mainland, with few staying around major halfling outposts dotting the various archipelagos.

Religion

Like most races in this part of the world Macchali don't believe in gods, and are less spiritual in nature then most other races. Many however share similiar views to the Imperial Humans belief in spirits and generally show great respect for spirits, outsiders and ancestory but don't worship to the same degree as humans.

Language

Macchali have they're own language that uses the Aquan alphabet Macchali spellcasters use Aquan for spellcasting. Keeping Written records are difficult underwater so when required most Macchali writing is engraved or scratched onto hard durable surfaces.

Adventurers

Macchali Adventurers are somewhat rare, most prefering to stay close to home furthering their own agendas. Outcaste Macchali without any bearing in society often become adventurers either to further a sponsor Macchali's plans outside of home or to simply try there luck away from other Macchali. Macchali from other castes may adventure to gain influence outside their homelands or with other groups of Macchali or from simple curiosity.

Macchali Racial Traits:

Macchali Medium Humanoid (Aquatic, Psionic)

+2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Macchali have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Macchali base land speed is 20 feet.
Macchali has a swim speed of 40 feet.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Underwater Vision: Macchali unlike other humanoids have 2 sets of eyelids, the outer set are much the same as other creatures eyelids. The inner set is simply thin, transparent skin to protect Macchali eyes while underwater, and keep it from interferring with it's vision. While underwater Macchali are treated as having Superior Low-Light Vision granting four times the visual distance of humans in conditions of low illumination.

Amphibious (Ex)
Macchali can breathe both air and water, though they rarely travel far from major bodies of water.

Water Dependancy:
A Macchali must immerse his entire body in water at least once a week or suffer ill effects. After a week has passed, a Macchali must make a constitution check every day thereafter (DC 10 +1 per additional day) or take 1 point of constitution damage. Once a Macchali immerses himself in water, he immediately regains 1d4 points of constitution per hour that he remains in water.

Naturally Psionic: Macchali gain 3 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Skills
A Macchali* has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard.
It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered.
It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*Yoddha-Macchali receive a +10 racial bonus instead of the normal +8.

Automatic Languages: Macchali, Common, Aquan. Bonus Languages: Any (Except secret languages such as Druidic)

Caste

Macchali society revolves around a rigid proto-caste system made up of the two sub-races of Macchali. The seers are the leaders, philosophers and teachers while the hunters take up the roles of hunters, merchants and protectors. Yoddha-Macchali are sleaker, longer, faster and less frail then their Bhuta-Macchali brethren and also sport a more monstrous appearance. The Bhuta-Macchali while less physically powerful then thier protectors have a higher emphasis on conditioning the mind, an aspect that lead to there original conquering of the world under the waves.

Seer's Circle (Bhuta-Macchali)

+2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution (in addition to above modifiers)

Bhuta-Macchali receive +2 racial bonus to Gather Information, Listen and Spot skills

Favored Class: Psion

Hunter's Circle (Yoddha-Macchali)

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma (in addition to above modifiers)

Yoddha-Macchali receive a +2 racial bonus to AutoHypnosis and Heal skills.

Favored Class: Psionic Warrior

Outcaste

Should the two subraces breed the half-macchali born of the union is in a difficult position, not having the specific strengths of either caste (nor its specific weaknesses) So don't really fit in either. Often such outcastes become loners (even for macchali!) though some lucky ones are able to serve Macchali interests away from their homes.

+2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma (no change to above modifiers)

Outcaste-Macchali receive a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy, Disguise and Sense Motive skills.

SilveryCord
2006-10-08, 06:53 PM
Looks like a very good +0, except for one thing: You should never EVER give +4 to a primary casting stat for LA +0.
What would I do? I'd play a monk or cleric in a second. A cleric with 22 wis at level 1? Sign me up.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-10-08, 07:50 PM
That and cut down the darkvision to 60 feet and lop the 'Superior' off of Low-light Vision and we'll have a perfectly balanced race.

Hyrael
2006-10-08, 08:26 PM
what do these guys look like. All i gathered is that they are amphibious. for some reason, Im thinking of the Deep Ones

Latronis
2006-10-08, 11:45 PM
Looks like a very good +0, except for one thing: You should never EVER give +4 to a primary casting stat for LA +0.
What would I do? I'd play a monk or cleric in a second. A cleric with 22 wis at level 1? Sign me up.

There is no +4 to any stat casting or otherwise.

Bhuta stats

+2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.

Now the wisdom for charisma trade i want to keep across all Macchali The ruling caste subrace needed a balance to the intelligence boost, Even though most casters would come from this caste i didn't want to be too heavily geared towards casters only they arn't elven subraces. Since most tend to stay closer to home facing less dangers from underwater then the others less physical stats is appropiate, I went with constitution since giving a strength penalty seems a little oh its a caster strength is useless kinda deal, so i went with con penalty. I might change that, but i feel the con hit is a better balance to the mental stats.

Yoddha stats

+2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -4 charisma

and the very rare but occassionally occuring Outcaste stats

+2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

That and cut down the darkvision to 60 feet and lop the 'Superior' off of Low-light Vision and we'll have a perfectly balanced race.

I can drop the darkvision down, but i'm not real comfortable with dropping the superior low light vision to normal low light vision, my reasoning is that underwater is a situation of low visibility\illumination. Open your eyes underwater you cant see real far at all, just like at night ^^ Twice that distance just doesn't seem enough for them to me.

Dropping darkvision altogether would make deep underwater travelling nigh impossible without magical aid. Makes more sense for them to have it since they are effectively THE sentient power under the waves. 60' darkvision would make encounters for them much more dangerous which i like now i think about it. I'll change that.

what do these guys look like. All i gathered is that they are amphibious. for some reason, Im thinking of the Deep Ones

GAH! i knew i had forgotton something, I'll go dig around through my notes and find the description. The inspiration came from the need for a darker merfolk race and from.... Axolotls. If they had a more humanoid form that's what the Bhuta appear like, with the Yoddha-Macchali longer and more sinous and more like the creature from the black lagoon then a humanoid Axolotl.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-10-09, 09:17 PM
I understand your reasoning for putting the Superior Low-light Vision, but mechanics-wise it'd be far too much of an advantage. Unless the campaign is full of creatures with such capabilities, the macchali will have one up on everyone when it comes to ambushes and underground tunnels. Or if you want to splurge for the +1 LA (which I gather you don't) then you'll have to add some more stuff.

Latronis
2006-10-10, 11:22 AM
I understand your reasoning for putting the Superior Low-light Vision, but mechanics-wise it'd be far too much of an advantage. Unless the campaign is full of creatures with such capabilities, the macchali will have one up on everyone when it comes to ambushes and underground tunnels. Or if you want to splurge for the +1 LA (which I gather you don't) then you'll have to add some more stuff.

Well i'm not vehemently opposed to them having a specific advantage, especially when related to sight, over others. It's also not going to lead to behave counter to the way i see such creatures behaving either. Dropping it also leads to, mechanically, many landlubbin' critters(those with low-light vision) having as good an underwater vision as the race who spends most of the time there. If we say conditions of lowlight visibility enhance your underwater vision, then i'd still rather these come out on top; an elf might have low light vision cos they spend some time in a dark wood but they'd still see the light of day more frequently then the average Macchali.

I do get what you're saying though, I just don't think it works with the flavour. I think i'd rather try balance it in another area and keep the LA0 and superior vision. I'd be more inclined to drop the darkvision altogether, though i didn't really wanna do that either. I manage to get it down to what was at least to LA+0(for playability) without betraying the original image, though it seems i might have to live with a small level adjustment. I can justify a natural attack routine easy enough and there might a be few other things i can do to bump it up to LA+1 if i have too but I'd like to see what others have to say on the Superior low-light vision first.

Latronis
2006-10-17, 05:00 PM
BUMP

for more opinions

pwetty pwease?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-10-17, 08:36 PM
I was going to give others a chance to respond, but since that doesn't seem to be happening, I'll take the initiative. Again.

Maybe you could add a new racial trait, something about having a set of clear permanentally closed eyelids like a crocodiles' that allows for superior low-light vision underwater, but the macchali's eyes function as a normal human's on the surface.

Latronis
2006-10-19, 08:49 PM
now that is certainly an interesting idea. I think i might just do that.