PDA

View Full Version : wireless internet help

wojonatior
2009-01-13, 03:36 PM
OK i just recently got a nice new computer. but there is a problem i have a olderish wireless card for connecting to the internet on my family wireless router. what happens is is go to the finding the wireless signals app. and i click on the signal to connect generally it has 3 bars. then it asks for the password i put it in and try connecting. it sits there for a moment saying "connecting please wait while Windows connects to the network. then it refreshes the networks it can connect to if it doesn't work, which it doesn't work. and the signal is still at three bars when it refreshes. so this happens no matter the number of times i try connecting. i have connected to this network before on this computer. i have restarted it. i have checked the connection on other comps. i have tried everything i can think of, even my stepfather who basically runs the internet in the house and whatnot is baffled. so i am asking for help if you can and if you need more info i can provide screen shots and the specifications on the router and the card. so please help if you can.

LCR
2009-01-13, 04:04 PM
You should check whether your WLAN cable is properly connected to both computer and router.

valadil
2009-01-13, 04:27 PM
Make sure you choose what encryption method your router is using. Windows does not ask for this by default so you have to go digging through advanced settings to find it. It'll be something like WEP or WPA2.

wojonatior
2009-01-13, 06:23 PM
the router is working properly because the other computers in the house receive wireless signal and can use it and the card has worked in other locations and i have yet to fiddle with the inside of the computer. also the card is a pci card if that helps. and i am sure it is entering the proper type of encryption.

AlterForm
2009-01-13, 07:16 PM
Try disabling the security briefly, connecting with the security down, then putting the security back up.