PDA

View Full Version : GITP Halloween Monster Competition (Chat Thread)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-17, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the Halloween Moncomp chat thread where you can ask questions, comment or just in general discuss about your submission to Part 1 of the Halloween Monster Competition (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11595900 84).

-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, I had a thought of having a contest for the various creators on these forums.

It would start October first and end on midnight at Halloween.

The theme would be 'Fell Beasts', with categories consisting of:

#1. Most Imaginative/Unique
#2. Most Frightening
#3. Best Overall

I'll be needing judges however, which won't be able to enter.

Who'd be interested in such a contest and whom might want to judge?

The Demented One
2006-09-17, 12:06 PM
I don't know whether I want to judge or participate, but I would do something.

Legoman
2006-09-17, 12:27 PM
Not creative enough to create, so I'll judge, barring excess school work. Finally taking 600 level classes this quarter, ick!

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 12:37 PM
I'm interested, but I'm an absolute rookie.
What's a fell beast, aside from the Witch King's mount?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-17, 12:48 PM
Basically meaning very creepy creatures. Was thinking of going cthulhu-esque though, requiring a short plot hook or story for each.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-17, 01:00 PM
I might enter.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 01:02 PM
Aaaaaaah...
Alright then, I'll give it a shot.
I'll probably need major help on my Craft(Horrifying monster to traumatise PCs with) check.
Anyone feel like giving me an Aid Another?

drake
2006-09-17, 01:12 PM
Well, I had a thought of having a contest for the various creators on these forums.

It would start October first and end on midnight at Halloween.

The theme would be 'Fell Beasts', with categories consisting of: :-[i cant make chars very well on com...better on pencin and paper.the paint option dont cut it... :-[

#1. Most Imaginative/Unique
#2. Most Frightening
#3. Best Overall

I'll be needing judges however, which won't be able to enter.

Who'd be interested in such a contest and whom might want to judge?
:P :-[

drake
2006-09-17, 01:20 PM
i have trouble making characters on paint in accesories. :'(

drake
2006-09-17, 01:20 PM
i need help. :-/

drake
2006-09-17, 01:23 PM
am i here alone...? :o

The Demented One
2006-09-17, 01:31 PM
Um...wait, what? I really have no idea what you're trying to do.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 01:32 PM
Drake, you're probably fairly new to the message board, so lemme introduce ya.
It's generally good etiquette not to multi-post. There's a Modify button to let you edit old posts.
Also, since it's a message board, you're probably not going to get replies immediately. The place is fairly busy though, so sometimes they're fast.
And if I read your question right, you want help with the contest? Or making avatars, or paintiing miniatures? I'm not being sarcastic, I can't really tell. I'm fairly new to the scene as well, so I don't know if I could help.

Other than that, welcome to the board.

SilveryCord
2006-09-17, 02:19 PM
I'd love to be a judge.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-17, 03:40 PM
I'm getting better at creature-sculpting fairly quickly thanks to various horrifying experiences in the MitP project, so I'll give this a shot if it gets started. Question though: Myabe it would be appropriate to make a few helpful creatures to assist the poor dopes fighting the results of this contest at keeping their sanity?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-17, 06:45 PM
Question though: Myabe it would be appropriate to make a few helpful creatures to assist the poor dopes fighting the results of this contest at keeping their sanity?
Err... I don't quite understand the question.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-17, 06:51 PM
Hmm. Let me rephrase that in a more straight-forward manner, then. Would it be appropriate to make some creatures that would serve to help anyone unlucky enough to have survive the utter madness that will be caused by the rest of these creatures? In other words, how about a few of us make some not-as-scary creatures to protect people from the abominations that so many people are going to be posting? Everytime the water breaks loose, there's always someone desperately trying to fix the dam.

Maerok
2006-09-17, 09:43 PM
I'd definitely be interested in this. Could entries be PMed in early? I don't think I could wait until the 1st.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-17, 09:58 PM
i shall take this challenge!

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-17, 10:54 PM
This seems right up my alley. May I join the panel of judges?

Leon
2006-09-18, 11:09 AM
"runs for the hills" VT and Freeky things....

that aside i think i'd like to have a go - even if i fail horridly. or judge if its not full

Thrune
2006-09-18, 11:52 AM
I might want to join.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-18, 02:55 PM
Hmm. Let me rephrase that in a more straight-forward manner, then. Would it be appropriate to make some creatures that would serve to help anyone unlucky enough to have survive the utter madness that will be caused by the rest of these creatures? In other words, how about a few of us make some not-as-scary creatures to protect people from the abominations that so many people are going to be posting? Everytime the water breaks loose, there's always someone desperately trying to fix the dam.
Err... well, you could I guess.

I'd definitely be interested in this. Could entries be PMed in early? I don't think I could wait until the 1st.
You could PM them, sure, but I'd not be commenting or anything, so you might as well wait ;)

This seems right up my alley. May I join the panel of judges?
Glad to have you. That makes 2-3 judges plus me. Need a couple more. I'll message around.

zad101
2006-09-18, 03:03 PM
I may be pretty new the forum but i know scary when i see it so i could judge if you like.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-18, 04:15 PM
I'll enter.

belboz
2006-09-18, 04:30 PM
I'm very interested.

But not in judging. Scary things are *way* too much up my alley for me to disqualify myself.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-18, 05:13 PM
I may be pretty new the forum but i know scary when i see it so i could judge if you like.
If at all possible I'll be choosing judges that I at least know somewhat and have been around a little longer.

Thanks anyways ;)

zad101
2006-09-18, 05:19 PM
alright then i think i'll compete cause this contest seems too good to miss

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-19, 09:15 PM
Good deal. Who else wants to try their hand?

wippit
2006-09-19, 09:36 PM
Your souls will be mine.
As will your still beating hearts!

You can keep your shoes. They smell.

Gralamin
2006-09-19, 10:06 PM
I'll judge.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-20, 12:01 AM
I might have to take a stab at creating a monster.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-20, 12:19 AM
Alright, judges have been chosen:

Abd al-Azrad, Demented One, Gralamin Shieldheart, JackMann, and yours truley.

I'll be posting the exact details on a new thread on the 30th.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-22, 10:15 AM
Ok, I'm thinking of doing two contests for October.

The 1st one will be Cthulhu-esque, the 2nd Fell Beast for just plain frightening creatures.

You would only have two weeks to make the monster, but that should be enough time wouldn't it?

fangthane
2006-09-22, 11:33 AM
I should think that a couple weeks should be long enough to polish most designs... A question though.

Just where is the "appropriate" line for the contest? Paedophilia A-ok? Fountains 'o' Blood? Rotting remains of perished children?

Those of us with sick minds might need to know before the line is crossed - Hallowe'en brings out some nasty, nasty thoughts in some of us... ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-22, 11:40 AM
Well, keep in mind that these will be for 'scariest' and 'most creative'. Not neccessarily 'goriest' and 'most perverted'.

Thats a problem I've always had with Halloween to the point I don't have much to do with it.

So though I don't want to dampen the *cough* imagination of you all, lets keep well, well, away from the explicit sexual stuff. Especially as its not allowed on these forums anyways.

For the love of...

fangthane
2006-09-22, 12:15 PM
heheh not to worry there... I wasn't thinking about doing anything even remotely explicit - but I do think that a beastie which takes the children and uses them for its own ends might be interesting.

This is part of what kept me out of the really good schools... ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-28, 03:05 PM
To answer a question thats been asked of me a few times, this contest will begin on the 1st of October. Keep your doublets on ;)

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-28, 03:11 PM
I'll make a creature.

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 06:02 PM
Could a judge submit a creature, and just not vote on it? Cause I'd really like to swing both ways here.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 06:25 PM
Cause I'd really like to swing both ways here.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-28, 07:09 PM
Down boy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-28, 08:50 PM
Could a judge submit a creature, and just not vote on it? Cause I'd really like to swing both ways here.
Nope, its submit or judge ;)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 09:05 PM
Down boy.

That just made my day. Thank you, Emerald.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-30, 12:35 AM
Decided to start a day early and give an even sixteen days for each competition.

The first half can be found here: Considered to Be Unnatural (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11595900 84)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-30, 12:40 AM
So scary, things-that-should-not-be things are contest one, and "part of natural order that happens to be horrifying" in the other?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-30, 12:44 AM
So scary, things-that-should-not-be things are contest one, and "part of natural order that happens to be horrifying" in the other?
Somewhat. This one is to be Lovecraftian in tone. The second will be for 'Fellbeasts', just plain frightening. Theres a subtle difference ;)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-30, 12:50 AM
Sorry, just need clarification for what section my entry goes into.
Lovecraftian would be sanity-destroying and beyond mortal comprehension, playing into the vast futility and general emo of existence?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-30, 12:56 AM
Sorry, just need clarification for what section my entry goes into.
Lovecraftian would be sanity-destroying and beyond mortal comprehension, playing into the vast futility and general emo of existence?
This (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11568047 54;start=0#0) or this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11587659 68) would be an example of 'that which should not be'.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11569572 27) or this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543008 18;start=0) would be just spooky and frightening.

So the first will destroy your sanity, the second will just plain scare you to death.

No need for emo within either.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-30, 01:06 AM
Hmm. Alright! Thanks.

Beldak
2006-10-01, 06:29 PM
Well I posted it, but I am worried it is too halloween and not enough Cuthulu. But it was fun, so no lose here.

Thanks for the competition. I am really enjoying it so far. I look forward to the next one.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11595900 84;start=0#5

fangthane
2006-10-01, 06:43 PM
I'd link mine, but given that they're all meant to go in the same thread I'm not entirely sure that's necessary ;)

Mine is a sort of mix of Natasha Henstridge, the Cryptkeeper, certain lizards and vermin (some of which reproduce using parthenogenesis, a word driven into my mind by Shriekback's song Nemesis) and the idea of a mother bereft and driven to dark thoughts. I've been thinking about her for some weeks now, since the contest was announced, and she crystallised yesterday. I may be making slight adjustments to her over the next week or so, but she should be substantially ready for prime time.

Either way, how much more evil do you get than a creature whose main prey is urban children and the homeless? :)

SilveryCord
2006-10-01, 07:26 PM
Oh goodness. I just realized that truespeakers are completely useless against my creation. Not only do they get a +50 to all truespeak DCs, but, sigh, I can't figure out a CR, so their DC is 1.5xnothing+50 :/

Fax Celestis
2006-10-01, 08:29 PM
The Mindmite is posted, but I'm uncertain on CR.

fangthane
2006-10-01, 08:52 PM
You watched The Wrath of Khan today didn't you? :)
Edit - Haha, I got it, I got it...

Topic: GITP Halloween Monster Competition (Chat Thread) (Read 666 times)

Completely by accident, too :)

Fax Celestis
2006-10-01, 08:57 PM
You watched The Wrath of Khan today didn't you? :)
Edit - Haha, I got it, I got it...

Completely by accident, too :)
Actually, no I didn't, but thinking about it now, it seems rather similar. Similar, albeit different.

Gralamin
2006-10-01, 09:11 PM
A question Vorpal, do the judges have a thread for the contest or will we be using pms?
*goes to read over the entries*

edit: oh and an exstenstion. Is this any set way we will be judgeing these (such as a form, a number of points in each catagory, etc.)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-01, 09:29 PM
A question Vorpal, do the judges have a thread for the contest or will we be using pms?
*goes to read over the entries*
PM's most like. I mean, we could have a judge's thread, but not sure it'd have much use. Open to suggestions however.

Gralamin
2006-10-01, 09:35 PM
I'll be doing an indepth judging of the first 7 tommorow during school/work.

"First 7" mean:
Hyrael, The Dreamer
Fax Celestis the Hoku-Lele
Krimm_Blackleaf
SilveryCord
Dark Aron
Beldak
Fangthane

if you change something pm me and I'll update my judging.

Beldak
2006-10-01, 10:11 PM
Everyone is always judging me!! Bwaaaa!! ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-01, 11:04 PM
I'll be doing an indepth judging of the first 7 tommorow during school/work.

"First 7" mean:
Hyrael, The Dreamer
Fax Celestis the Hoku-Lele
Krimm_Blackleaf
SilveryCord
Dark Aron
Beldak
Fangthane

if you change something pm me and I'll update my judging.
It may just be easier to wait till near the deadline because alot of changes are likely to be made and then you'd have to go over and over them again. But whatever you prefer ;)

Lucid_Archon
2006-10-02, 12:30 AM
This is the most wonderful thing I have ever seen. All the entries so far are fantastic. Beldak's Finger of Loki gave me shivers. And for some reason, SilveryCord's Sebal reminded me of dot hack. I just might have to take a shot at this.

fangthane
2006-10-02, 03:12 PM
Definitely some nifty stuff in there, even if it's potentially blowing my own horn to say it as well ;)

I've beefed the descriptive text on the Mother of Shadow a bit to incorporate the brood and a bit of general social tactics, as well as outlining the Domination ability a bit better and tweaking things like the Spell Resistance and Natural Armor (well, unnatural armor anyway) progression to make for a bit more reasonable scaling with respect to CR. More (minor) tweaks probably to come

SilveryCord
2006-10-02, 04:30 PM
Lucid_Archon: Coincidentally, he^h^h Sebal reminds me of .Hack too!
I practically spelled it out with the line "Epitaph or no" :)

Maerok
2006-10-02, 04:54 PM
I have something to enter, later on tonight.

fangthane
2006-10-02, 05:22 PM
That reminds me, I was doing some rough guesstimation and I figured it'd take about a level 40 or 50 or so epic party to put him down... Of course, that's not quite a flawless victory either. With the Prime Material being as large as it is, unless the DM's a big old meanie the effect won't become obvious or dangerous for quite a while though; it could, of course, provide the hook for an effort to resurrect and bind the guy. (good news being, he's only 99 HD when resurrected) However, it'd take closer to an 80-100 epic party to bind him irretrievably in a well-sealed pocket plane, which is of course the ideal solution.

Some suggestions for tweaks and improvement: (don't feel bad if I did/didn't comment on your stuff)
Lots of spelling; sorry, I know I'm a nazi and most people probably don't notice, but I do :)
Sebal's subdual mantra should probably include "Honesty" instead of "honest" - all the rest are nouns rather than adjectives.
He also needs about a bazoodle and a half of feats and skills which I'm presuming will come later :)
Doomborn needs movement squares and skills.
The Finger of Loki should probably curse all those within 30 feet of its slayer; otherwise, if it's downed with a fireball nobody takes a hit.
Wrath: Merciless - does this mean that at a BAB of +13 Wrath gets his 4th melee attack? Or the progression of number of attacks is as normal, but at a lesser penalty? Also, his HP should average to 162. In "Last Resort" you don't make clear whether the changes are instead of or addition to the unmentioned standard Con bonus.
Mindmite - should specify what hit dice it gets (I'm presuming D10's in which case its average, rounded down, should be 16) :) Also, I need some results and behavior for eviction attempts. For example, presumably Disintegrate still disintegrates the host regardless of the usual -30 thing it does? What about banishment mechanisms? (noticing it's extraplanar) And can a host who's been subsumed be restored if the mite can be Banished to wherever they originate? What about clerical/druidic stuff and things like disease/vermin control? Does the mite continue to slowly eat the other mental scores of a subsumed host, or are they automatically scarfed within the day?
Quencher - I hate to seem like I'm denigrating someone's work here so I'll just say I'm not sure about the inevitability of the bleeding and saliva stuff; I'd say give anyone hit a strength-based Reflex DC to beat (reflex save DC based off the Quencher's strength score +10+1/2 HD) the bleeding, and allow 3, or 4, or some number of consecutive successful poison saves to eliminate the remainder.

Despite having made some (in most cases) fairly minor critiques to your designs, don't feel that I'm doing it because I want to make your stuff look bad; to the contrary, I'd prefer that we all field as good an entry as we're able and help one another improve the designs without changing their essential flavour; if you feel differently, you can feel free to ignore anything I've said, but be aware that it's with that motivation that I've made my comments. :)

Beldak
2006-10-02, 05:47 PM
Thank you for the suggestion Fang.

Good luck and happy gaming to everyone.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 05:57 PM
Mindmite - should specify what hit dice it gets (I'm presuming D10's in which case its average, rounded down, should be 16)
3d8. 8 + 4.5 + 4.5 = 17 HP

Also, I need some results and behavior for eviction attempts. For example, presumably Disintegrate still disintegrates the host regardless of the usual -30 thing it does? What about banishment mechanisms? (noticing it's extraplanar) And can a host who's been subsumed be restored if the mite can be Banished to wherever they originate? What about clerical/druidic stuff and things like disease/vermin control? Does the mite continue to slowly eat the other mental scores of a subsumed host, or are they automatically scarfed within the day?
All answered now.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-02, 07:12 PM
I suck horrible at homebrewing, and have the creativity of an anencephalic aardvark on crack, but I might submit something if I'm in the mood.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 07:15 PM
I suck horrible at homebrewing, and have the creativity of an anencephalic aardvark on crack, but I might submit something if I'm in the mood.
You should submit a creature that causes people to become frightened of long words.

Hippopotomonstrosoequippedaliophobia: It could happen to you.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-02, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah? Well you might just catch a bad case of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis!

(I hope I spelled that right.)

Incedentally, have you ever seen an anencephalic aardvark on crack? It's pretty scary.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah? Well you might just catch a bad case of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis!

Incedentally, have you ever seen an anencephalic aardvark on crack? It's pretty scary.
No, but I imagine it'd be about as terrifying as a rabbit scream.

fangthane
2006-10-02, 07:43 PM
Umm, actually for monstrous races the first die isn't maxed for base monster stats; if it were taking classes it'd get a maxed hit die somewhere (can't remember the rules on that) but for a basic XdY format it just gets averages (so should be 13 on d8's)

I didn't have my book handy and couldn't remember what HD it should have got hehe :) Not that it really matters what HP it has, since it's not apt to stick around in a vulnerable form. :)

Another question which occurs though; monster typing, for abilities which affect certain creature types such as a ranger's favored enemy and so forth - I'd presume that the composite creature (host plus bug) count as the host for purposes of any ability like the ranger's, though things like vermin repulsion effects would prove interesting indeed.
Another wrinkle: Protection from Evil. I assume you can see where I'm going with this one ;)

Would Wish similarly be able to cure the attribute damage, or do our friends the clerics get an edge there? :) In either case, perhaps a Greater Restoration should at least return 2d4 to any single stat so affected? I'm just thinking that's a DANGED powerful spell which normally cures all attribute drain and level drain and mental effects simultaneously - if you'd rather retain the permanency for the sake of creep value, I can't argue that ;)

Not that I disagree with the idea of a really mean-as-heck bug, just making a suggestion and it's entirely your call to act on or not :) But I do think that type-based abilities might need to be defined a bit better for us rules-lawyer types :)

fangthane
2006-10-02, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah? Well you might just catch a bad case of PneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanOconiosis!

So very, very close. :)

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 07:52 PM
Actually, I like getting lawyered, since it means that the holes are fixed.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 08:05 PM
Fixedededed again. You know, I don't think I've ever written so much for a creature with one ability.

fangthane
2006-10-02, 08:06 PM
heheh - I play with two other rules-lawyers, one guy who's ok with most interpretations and one guy who argues spuriously in defiance of me and the Book both, usually in defense of an aspect of realism which conflicts directly with balance elements ;)

The good news is that they keep me on my toes, and vice versa; means I have to be a lot clearer on loophole closing and have to be a lot more consistent in terms of how things are balanced, which helps since with 3 rules lawyers and a rules-paralegal we're often digressing ;)

I have to admit though, I'm a bit concerned; here I've done more work the past little while to develop your design than my own ;D

Edit - looks like I assumed incorrectly though :)
What I was thinking with Protection from Evil is that it hedges out mind control effects with an evil source for its duration. My thought was that you probably want to specifically outlaw use of a first-level spell to end an infestation - otherwise, it would have to make its will save or have the host become a vegetable for the duration. :)

fangthane
2006-10-02, 09:49 PM
Maerok - I can hardly let you out if I've made suggestions on the rest ;)
HD should be +8 (it has +1 con) and thus average 44 instead.
For its grapple, it's +6 (base) + 8 (HD) + 4 (str) = +18 - where does the other +4 come from?

Even then, I'd suggest that an ability which effectively kills most creatures it strikes in melee might be better balanced with a save or some kind of secondary check... :)
Also, it needs a couple of extra feats; it does have an intelligence after all.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-02, 09:59 PM
What I was thinking with Protection from Evil is that it hedges out mind control effects with an evil source for its duration. My thought was that you probably want to specifically outlaw use of a first-level spell to end an infestation - otherwise, it would have to make its will save or have the host become a vegetable for the duration. :)
And I have. The mindmite is unaffected because it uses the host's types to determine effects.

Gralamin
2006-10-03, 01:22 AM
It may just be easier to wait till near the deadline because alot of changes are likely to be made and then you'd have to go over and over them again. But whatever you prefer ;)

Well if this contest gets more entries I don't want to be overwhelemed better to store it on my handy laptop and judge when I have free time.

Oh and Fax:
Love the Mindmite. Me and a friend have been making a creature quite a bit like it in someways.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-10-03, 02:02 AM
I...am in need of major assistance.
Anyone care to PM me and help?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-10-03, 08:28 PM
oh bugger, why didn't I realise it was supposed to be lovecraftian? I just made mine scary and angry

edit: even worse, Gluttony would have been perfect for this!!

SilveryCord
2006-10-03, 09:22 PM
Put up picture, fixed HP, added lore.
Any more comments?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-03, 09:57 PM
I...am in need of major assistance.
Anyone care to PM me and help?
Sure, whats up?

oh bugger, why didn't I realise it was supposed to be lovecraftian? I just made mine scary and angry
*grins*

Was noticing how a number of the entries would probably do best in the second contest which is for just plain frightening instead of this one which is for creatures that'll numb your sensibilities.

Lucid_Archon
2006-10-03, 11:35 PM
Lo! After much effort and roasting of gummi bears with a votive candle, my creation is complete. Of course, any criticism would be welcome.

Gralamin
2006-10-04, 12:13 AM
Yes I have to agree with Vorpal that very few entries followed the theme.

Beldak
2006-10-04, 12:22 AM
Nice picture silvery, points for being less lazy then I.

I was a bit worried that Finger of Loki was too halloween, but I was very proud of it, even if it wasn't what I started out to do. Can't not post it at that point. But no worries, I have something up my sleave for the next one that will probably not fit as well in that contest either ;) But I can promise you this. . . It will be disturbing.

TheUdjat
2006-10-04, 10:51 AM
I think I'll save mine for the next contest. It's kinda on the line between the two themes, so I think I'll just play it safe.

Gives me more time to fine tune it, anyway.

Enjoyed reading these monsters, everyone. Great work! :)

fangthane
2006-10-04, 12:03 PM
Heh - I guess my disadvantage here is complete and utter unfamiliarity with Lovecraft's work because having tried to read any of it left me wondering at how anyone could possibly enjoy such execrable content... I just couldn't get into it. Ah well, we'll see what comes of things and worst case I'll have something else lined up for the next one :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-04, 12:11 PM
Heh - I guess my disadvantage here is complete and utter unfamiliarity with Lovecraft's work because having tried to read any of it left me wondering at how anyone could possibly enjoy such execrable content... I just couldn't get into it. Ah well, we'll see what comes of things and worst case I'll have something else lined up for the next one :)
It depends on his stuff. I mean, I hated his Dream Cycle stuff with a vengeance, though I thought Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos was pretty derned good.

However, you don't have to have read any of his stuff to make creatures that 'Should Not Be'. I can say this for a fact because I made many monsters folks said sounded like straight out of his works, which is what got me to look into his stuff in the first place.

And they don't even have to be evil or possessed or tentacles or anything. Just mind-numbingly STRANGE.

Take a look here, this might inspire you. I know it has me:
http://www.yerka.pl/stronaI/stronaI.html

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 12:51 PM
See, I went for the subversive insanity aspects of Lovecraftian instead of the brainbreaking insanity bits.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-04, 12:56 PM
See, I went for the subversive insanity aspects of Lovecraftian instead of the brainbreaking insanity bits.
Its all good.

fangthane
2006-10-04, 01:46 PM
Mmm, I dunno... I suppose there's got to be some kind of distinction I'm missing on the whole "should not be" theme... Not a big deal for me since as I say, I've never read anything of Lovecraft's that I enjoyed. :) At least my critter's a good design even if probably nothing like what you were seeking; I can be content with that much :)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-10-04, 02:19 PM
I've received a few offers of help, thanks all.
Things are a little very hectic here, as the saying goes.
I'll try and put up what I've got, maybe in a thread, and see what can be salvaged of the mess I'm in.
Thanks again.

Jack Mann
2006-10-04, 04:39 PM
Just a note: If you've posted a creature to the first contest that you think would have a better chance in the second, there's no reason you have to stick with your original decision. Just take it down and save it. You can post a new creature now, and save your current creation for the second thread.

TheOOB
2006-10-04, 10:39 PM
Question, do the rules allow posting of 2 monster stat blocks like the barghest/greater barghest stat block (one monster that gets bigger and meaner) allowed?

SilveryCord
2006-10-05, 05:16 PM
Hmm, what do people suggest for feats for Sebal? In fact, suggestions on combat at all would be really great. I think I've got Sebal's special abilities down, but Slam isn't exactly a particularly interesting attack. I'm tempted to give Sebal spiked chain, hehe.

Edit: I used a pronoun to describe Sebal! Oh noes, I just gave him power!
I am totally adding that as a special ability. Something to the effect of "Sebal gains 1 temporary HP for two months every time someone uses a pronoun to decribe him"

Beldak
2006-10-05, 06:24 PM
The elemental feat progression is really good for low maintence powerhousing: alertness, awesome blow, cleave, great cleave, improved bullrush, improved critical, improved sunder, Iron will, power attack, lighting reflexes, combat reflexes, blind fighting, dodge, mobility, spring attack.
I would stat him with his average power attack already in the stats.

Doesn't he have 100 HD? -like 33 feats or something.

fangthane
2006-10-06, 02:24 PM
Heh, as a force of nature (or un-nature) like he seems to be, I'd throw in some Improved Toughness (which will boost his HP a bunch more) and maybe some of the PHB2 Combat Focus cheese (such as is appropriate anyhow); give him a weapon of some sort and give him full progression (weapon mastery) on it, and, umm, I dunno what to do with the other 15 or so feats ;) that's the trouble with vast-CR development... too damn much work, by half. ;)

Jack Mann
2006-10-06, 08:38 PM
Question, do the rules allow posting of 2 monster stat blocks like the barghest/greater barghest stat block (one monster that gets bigger and meaner) allowed?

Well, if you have a monster with two forms, I should think you'd have to post the stats for both. As well, if the monster gains power as it progresses, you would need to clarify its advancement. I can't speak for VT, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't post two stat blocks for one entry.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-07, 04:11 PM
Yes, thats perfectly acceptable. Now, if someone just wants to add class levels or whatnot, that's another matter.

SilveryCord
2006-10-08, 07:00 PM
For some reason, I have the unsatiable urge to give Sebal 20 Cleric levels, 20 Wizard levels, 20 Mystic Theurge, 20 Geomancer, and whatever other epic divine/arcane progression classes I can find. If only to cheese The Vorpal Tribble off :)

belboz
2006-10-11, 02:40 PM
Pre-judging review and comments on the Starperson are humbly requested. Particularly of interest is CR feedback. I took a stab, but I'm not sure.

Acutally, one other big question: The name "starperson" has started ringing a bell, and I'm a bit afraid it's a name that Lovecraft actually used. Can someone confirm or deny? If so, I'll change the name; the creature is not directly based on Lovecraft (though I hope it's the sort of thing he'd have liked), and I don't want to muddy the issue by reusing one of his names.

Beldak
2006-10-11, 03:57 PM
I really like your last adventure hook. Very nice. Bravo!

You may want to consider preparing richeous might instead of true seeing due to the material component. And invisibility purge instead of prayer to make up for it.

belboz
2006-10-11, 04:05 PM
THanks; I've taken both of your suggestions.

Beldak
2006-10-15, 03:15 PM
So. . . This sucker is over at midnight is it? Where do we go for the second leg of the competition?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-15, 04:16 PM
So. . . This sucker is over at midnight is it? Where do we go for the second leg of the competition?
Its in the works ;)

The_Scourge
2006-10-15, 10:03 PM
I posted mine but removed it once I read the discussion thread. I'm going to save it for the second half.

Beldak
2006-10-16, 08:31 PM
ah yes. . . something so gross, it is horrifying.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11609711 94;start=0#3

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-10-18, 12:36 AM
*digs around for his Baba Yaga notes*

Yeaaah, I'll be entering sooner or later.

By the way, does "One entry per person" mean "One monster per person"?
Or just one entry, containing, possibly, multiple related monsters?

I'd like to do Old Grandmother and Grandmother's Children, both....and since the one is created by the other (sort of vampire spawn-like) I'd say they're related enough to almost count as one entry...
*shifty eyes*

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-18, 12:15 PM
Meant one monster per person, but if they are basically part and parcel of the same thing, that'd be fine.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-10-18, 12:57 PM
Meant one monster per person, but if they are basically part and parcel of the same thing, that'd be fine.

Hm....well, the one is produced by one of the abilities of the other. If you'd like me to narrow it once you see it, okiedoke. If it's okay, it's okay.

Yahzi
2006-10-28, 11:19 AM
Shouldn't the contest thread be stickied?

Gralamin
2006-10-29, 12:19 AM
Its unoffical

belboz
2006-10-30, 07:48 PM
BTW, I'm sure that the forum move disrupted things a bit--but any word on the results of Part I? Or is everything going to be announced post-Halloween?

The Glyphstone
2006-10-30, 08:51 PM
Well, I've added an entry. I didn't notice until after I was done that a "shadowy, incorporeal creature" was the defined example of "Stale and unoriginal"...:(

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-30, 10:33 PM
BTW, I'm sure that the forum move disrupted things a bit--but any word on the results of Part I? Or is everything going to be announced post-Halloween?
I'm still waiting for a couple of my judges to respond. If they don't within the next week I will use the votes I have.

Well, I've added an entry. I didn't notice until after I was done that a "shadowy, incorporeal creature" was the defined example of "Stale and unoriginal"...
*grins*

Well, I've not looked at it yet, but if done right a shadowy, incorporeal creature needn't be completely stale and unoriginal ;)

Foeofthelance
2006-10-31, 01:07 AM
Meh, I just thought I'd go the most terrorizing route. Nothing worse then becoming some demon's whipping boy. May have forgotten to add Geas/Quest to his spells though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 09:52 AM
So, who would be interested in me having a monthly monster-making competition?

I could just put a poll for votes and wouldn't even have to trouble the judges.

fangthane
2006-11-01, 04:40 PM
Ha, my feigned shadowiness with its pseudo-incorporeality has to be about the most original twist on a shadowy incorporeal type, I figure :) But in any case, what the heck... I got to continue my trend of musically-inspired bad guys, so I can't complain even if I lose with straight aces :)

belboz
2006-11-01, 05:20 PM
So, who would be interested in me having a monthly monster-making competition?

Woohoo!

Oh, I guess I can't make a post of <10 characters.

Woohoo!

EndlessEnnui
2006-11-03, 01:27 PM
Huzzah! I eagerly await the results of the Halloween competition.

...and can't help but scheme for the Harvest Moon.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-04, 10:09 AM
And judging comes in when?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-04, 10:56 AM
And judging comes in when?
When my judges get around to sending me their votes. Haven't seen half of them since the boards went down however. I'm thinking of seeing if one of the admins here could just put up a poll for everyone to vote.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-07, 10:15 AM
The votes are in for Considered To Be Unnatural (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10260)...

Grey Knight
2006-11-12, 10:43 PM
I hated his Dream Cycle stuff with a vengeance

Spot on. I have no idea what made him think writing that was a good idea. As to publishing it, I can only assume insanity was the cause.