PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna croak?

SteveD
2009-01-16, 08:29 PM
We seem to be nearing the end of Part 1, so does anyone want to bet on which character(s) are going to check out? (and don't say none of them, this is war...some ones got to croak).

Bogroll has always been a hot favourite, but would that be too obvious?

Is Ansom going to survive, or end up as Wanda's play-thing?

What about Sizemore, Parson's closest friend in this universe? Nothing like rubbing in the personal cost of war for a conclusion.

I've got a hunch on Jillian...

Lombard
2009-01-16, 08:59 PM
Bogroll for sure, they'll make everyone think Parson died until the person's helmet is taken off and it's revealed to be Bogroll in a scene disturbingly reminiscent of Achilles and Patroclus. That will take up like a strip or two.

That grey and old female GK caster, can't even remember her name, definitely gone. She'll probably only get one frame showing it too, lol, just a quick shot of her getting fried then back to the main action.

Sizemore and Vinny both die in a double KO. That's a strip and a half, a whole one dedicated to the fight and lead-ins and aftermaths on the strip before and after.

Stanley dies in some big cliffhanger moment- oh no will Parson disappear too?- but surprisingly enough, Parson doesn't. Probably can milk three or even four strips out of that one.

So my preidiction is basically that all the major-major characters except Stanley live and the semi-major characters get pruned severely. Afterwards, Jack will become a major character for a while and Charlie will become the Great Adversary.

Tubercular Ox
2009-01-16, 09:00 PM
Ever since I saw DevilDan's avatar I was praying for Ansom to bite it. Didn't really care before.

dr pepper
2009-01-17, 02:06 AM
Bogroll for sure, they'll make everyone think Parson died until the person's helmet is taken off and it's revealed to be Bogroll in a scene disturbingly reminiscent of Achilles and Patroclus.

I missed the part where Parson and Bogroll were boyfriends and Bogroll took over while Parson was sulking.

Lamech
2009-01-17, 02:39 AM
Here's my chart...
1) Ansom he could fall very easily if he rides out into battle, which his prode could force him to do.
2) Sizemore he will be riding out to attack coalition leaders, and will be at risk high risk. Although I find him less likely than Ansom for several reasons.

Wanda is safe because Ansom has failed to defeat her once already, and this time she'll have Parson's bonus, and heavies gaurding her. Parson is safe for being next to Wanda. Maggie is safe because she s needed for Parson to run battles in the future.

Also I suspect that Sizemore will croak a couple coalition leaders.

FacelessSchmuck
2009-01-31, 09:05 AM
I missed the part where Parson and Bogroll were boyfriends...
Page 85 ring a bell?

I'm expecting Parson's croaking to send him home. He wakes up sitting at his table think it was all a dream only to find a whole bunch of messages from his players wondering where he went and how the hell he did that.

HandofShadows
2009-01-31, 01:39 PM
Hmm. A Laughing Man wanna-be. :smallbiggrin:

With the info that the next book will have some "narrative distance" from book one, it sort of changes the possibilities of who lives or die to some extent. I think most of us have been working on the assumtion (even subconciously) that the next book would pick up more or less where the first left off. Since that is not going to happen, that means there will be a lot more "closure" at the end of the battle. Any character can be killed (even Parson) and the different plot threads have to be mostly tied up (a few overarching ones will liekly not be tied off). I suspect Wanda haveing a much better chance at getting the Arkenpliers now, not that it will happen just that it could. sm

Wakky
2009-01-31, 02:19 PM
Bogroll will not croak. Here's why:

Parson will sacrifice Bogroll as a decoy of himself, thus fulfilling the "ruthless" foreshadowing. However, Ansom explicitly ordered for Parson to be captured, not croaked. Therefore Bogroll survives certain death and is captured, causing him much confusion, and he later becomes occasional comic relief in the Alliance camp.

Kreistor
2009-01-31, 03:30 PM
Now this I will not lay any bets on. With updates infrequent compared to the original goal of 2/week, I'm not certain the comic will go beyond part 1. That means a lot more can die than we might normally expect. At this point, I'm not even betting on Parson's survival.

Ultimatum479
2009-01-31, 04:29 PM
Wakky wins.

kreszantas
2009-01-31, 04:48 PM
Well so far I am 1 for 3 out of my prediction in a spoiler tag. The other 2 are still prime candiates.

The rest they just cannon fodder, plot material and something to distract us from the real meat of the story that is Ansom and the RCC is going to pay a huge butcher's bill once this one is over, he is all in!

Wakky
2009-02-01, 09:38 AM
Okay guys, here's how it goes.

With their new-found dance fighting, Parson's forces survives the turn, but Parson has to sacrifice Bogroll as a decoy, so Bogroll is captured in his place. At the start of the next turn Wanda uncroaks all the dead people and Voila! The tables have turned.

Things go well for Parson for a bit, and he almost captures Ansom, but Ansom is saved by a desperate last second attack by the Wood Elf boss and a few other minor bosses, who sacrifice themselves in the process. But then Ansom commits Charlies Archons in a blitz attack. Parson doesn't have an airforce anymore, so the tables have turned again and he starts getting his ass kicked. Maggie gets fried about this time. Sizemore is badly injured and forced to go to ground.

All looks lost for Parson, but then a miracle happens - Stanley Returns! Stanley and his dragons tip the balance against Charlie. Charlie knows when he is beat, so he withdraws. Stanley himself, however, winds up getting croaked in the process of saving Gobwin Knob, probably by Ansom or maybe even an enraged Jillian. Surprise, surprise, we find out what the "special" means for Parson as a warlord, because instead of just disbanding or returning to his old life he winds up as the Overlord of Gobwin Knob. Wanda winds up with Stanley's Arken Hammer, but isn't attuned to it yet.

Thus ends book one, with Parson in control of Gobwin Knob, but severely hampered by the loss of Maggie. Wanda is an even bigger asset for Parson now, but with her new-found power she's also very dangerous to him. Ansom and the remainder of the Coalition retreat, but vow revenge and eternal hatred toward Parson. Charlie is now no longer quite as jokey with Parson and is now possibly his biggest threat in the conflict to come.

At least that's the way I see it.

FacelessSchmuck
2009-02-01, 11:13 AM
I don't think this story can end without Parson getting sent home, victorious or otherwise, if only so he can discover that 1) he's lost his job and 2) he's no longer censored.

random_guy
2009-02-01, 07:16 PM
I think Parson is going to die based on the following comic:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0084.html

Maybe dying will bring him back to his world, and that's how it ends for him. His sacrifice would buy enough time for Stanley to arrive and defeat the RCC using his overlord bonus. Without Parson, another coalition comes up to wipe out Gobwin Knob, and no one would know anything about the perfect warlord or the spell that summoned him, with the exception of those in the Magic Kingdom. Of course, this would mean that Jillian will have to die as well.

Edit: Changed HTML code to link.

Gez
2009-02-01, 09:41 PM
I'm tempted to see Bogroll's regeneration (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html) as a Chekhov's gun, meaning he'll be croaked but -- if Parson wins and the city doesn't pass under RCC control -- he'll regenerate during the night and be back on the following turn.

If Parson croaks and is "sent back" to reality, book #2 and following is going to be really different, unless he's somehow summoned again (that would be cheap). On the one hand, he's been pretty much the main character of the story, with most of the focus on him, so there would really be something missing without him. On the other hand, as the stranger in a strange land, his role is to be a source of exposition as he discovers how Erfworld works and, once he's done so, a big part of his role is over so it could be justified that he disappears.

However, I'd lean more towards him staying in Erfworld.

random_guy
2009-02-01, 10:29 PM
I also feel that it's cheap if he gets summoned again. I would also like to see him stay in Erfworld, but I don't see him being able to fit in with Stanley's goals. His speech about winning without fighting, if possible, is not going to work out if Stanley is going to attack all of their neighbors. He seems more like the kind of person to use diplomacy and pit his enemies against each other type of person, not someone who will lead an army and conquer everything. Anyways, I'm getting off topic.

Does anyone else thing that Jack will croak? I can see him being a very powerful resource in Parson's hands, and he might eliminated in order to avoid making him too powerful.

Xondoure
2009-02-27, 08:30 PM
please, the author is going to kill who he feels like and isn't going to give a boop if people complain.
I don't see parson croaking, only because he seems to have a plan. I am not so sure about wanda.

slayerx
2009-02-28, 09:31 AM
Thus ends book one, with Parson in control of Gobwin Knob, but severely hampered by the loss of Maggie. Wanda is an even bigger asset for Parson now, but with her new-found power she's also very dangerous to him. Ansom and the remainder of the Coalition retreat, but vow revenge and eternal hatred toward Parson. Charlie is now no longer quite as jokey with Parson and is now possibly his biggest threat in the conflict to come.

Problem with your theory is the fact that Parson has zero motivation to do anything... unlike everyone else, he has no goal in erfworld... Knowign this, why would he be a threat to anyone; he has no reason to attack anyone else, no reason to push for anything, and without stanely there is even little reason for him to be attacked; hell the first thing he would do after getting in charge and pushing back Ansom is work towards a truce; something that is more than possible what with the change of leadership... unlike Stanely who went on the offensive against everyone, Parson has done nothing but defend himself and committed no such offenses

It's kinda like; "Parson is the overlord of Gobwinknob... now what..."