PDA

View Full Version : Is there a feat that....

Ixahinon
2009-01-17, 11:28 PM
....combines levels of classes to allow you to learn the new levels spell level?

I know I said it so horribly wrong up there...but this is what I want: A Duskblade with 6th level spells. All I want is Tensor's Transformation...that's it.

There's a feat that combines Scout Levels with Ranger levels to determine Skirmish Damage, and I'm sure there are feats out there to combine rogue levels with the other class levels to determine sneak attack damage. I know there's abilities/feats out there that combine cleric levels with other levels to determind turning effects...

Duskblade stops at 5th level spells...but I was hoping maybe if I dual classed with wizard or something, I could get to at least 6th level. As it stands now, the best I can come up with is Fighter 5th/Wizard 12th....but I take a lot of penalties and stuff before getting there..mostly less spells, and not the ability to use armor..*shrugs* Help?

Innis Cabal
2009-01-17, 11:31 PM
No. We'd call that over powered.

Assassin89
2009-01-17, 11:35 PM
The only feat I can think of is practiced spellcaster from Complete Arcane, which gives you a caster level of wizard level +4, meaning that at first level of wizard, you can cast 5th level spells.

Iku Rex
2009-01-17, 11:53 PM
The only feat I can think of is practiced spellcaster from Complete Arcane, which gives you a caster level of wizard level +4, meaning that at first level of wizard, you can cast 5th level spells.No. You can cast 1st level spells at caster level 5. Big difference. (And you have to be a 5th level character.)

Ixahinon, why do you want Tenser's Transformation so bad?

Curmudgeon
2009-01-17, 11:55 PM
The only feat I can think of is practiced spellcaster from Complete Arcane, which gives you a caster level of wizard level +4 That's not accurate, I'm afraid. Practiced Spellcaster lets you pick any one spellcasting class, and adds +4 to your CL in that class, up to the limit of your HD. So Practiced Spellcaster could increase either the Duskblade or some other spellcasting class's caster level. In neither case will the resultant allow casting Tenser's Transformation.

The only feat I know which will allow Duskblades to cast 6th level spells is Improved Spell Capacity [Epic]. So if you can wait until level 21 ...

Ixahinon
2009-01-17, 11:59 PM
My initial idea was that I could get a character high enough to use Tensor's Transformation, the lower level able to get it, the better...which is why I was hoping Duskblade could reach higher spells with a feat or something.

Once I hit 6th level for Tensor's I'd stop, and take a level or two in Cleric for Extra Turning, and Divine Metamagic. Would allow me to Use Persistant Spell metamagic on Tensors to have it last 24 hours, just recast each day for basically a perminent +6 Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity, with full BAB and (I think extra HP)

FinalJustice
2009-01-18, 12:07 AM
And no spellcasting. Besides, DMM only works on Divine Spells, so you'd have to work around that too. Making it short, not worth it.

Ixahinon
2009-01-18, 12:11 AM
It doesn't imply divine. I don't have the book on me at the moment, but I thought it was just spellcasting in general.

And with Persistant Spell, with a high charisma, and Extra Turning a few times. I could Persist all the spells I need. Displacement, Haste, Tensors Transformation, Mage Armor, and the like. Maybe not all on the same day, but I can mix and match whenever per day.

I would Persist all this - before - I persisted Tensors, of course.

Iku Rex
2009-01-18, 12:12 AM
Once I hit 6th level for Tensor's I'd stop, and take a level or two in Cleric for Extra Turning, and Divine Metamagic. Would allow me to Use Persistant Spell metamagic on Tensors to have it last 24 hours, just recast each day for basically a perminent +6 Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity, with full BAB and (I think extra HP)You can't persistent arcane spells with Divine Metamagic. See errata. It's only a +4 bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity. (Linky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm)) And the only reason you need "full BAB" is that you multiclassed into cleric so you could get it.

Most importantly: "You lose your spellcasting ability, including your ability to use spell trigger or spell completion magic items, just as if the spells were no longer on your class list."

In short, it doesn't work, and if it did it would be a terrible idea.

RTGoodman
2009-01-18, 12:18 AM
It doesn't imply divine. I don't have the book on me at the moment, but I thought it was just spellcasting in general.

No, actually Divine Metamagic only works for Divine spells. It's in the Complete Divine errata. (Download it HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a).)

Either way, Tenser's transformation probably isn't such a good idea. If you want to have uber-boosts up all day, just play a Cleric with DMM Persist. If you want to play a caster that mixes it up in melee, play a gish of some sort (either some variant on Sorcerer/Paladin or something with Wizard and a bunch of PrCs), a Psychic Warrior, or a straight Duskblade (who wouldn't need it anyway, with spells AND full BAB already).

Ixahinon
2009-01-18, 12:19 AM
You can persist arcane spells. It's a metamatic listed in the Complete Arcane book :/.

I edited before that I would persist other spells before Tensors, and I forgot it's just +4. *shrug* Ahh well....

RTGoodman
2009-01-18, 12:22 AM
You can persist arcane spells. It's a metamatic listed in the Complete Arcane book :/.

Yeah, there is a Persistant Spell metamagic feat, but it has a cost of +6 spell levels. Since you were talking about Extra Turning and stuff, we assume you're talking about using Divine Metamagic to get around that limitation, but DMM is explicitly, as per the CDiv Errata, only usable with Divine spells.

Basically, there's NO WAY to Persist (Tenser's) Transformation, short of being epic and having 12th-level spell slots, or using some PrC/feat cheese to reclassify some or all of your arcane spells as divine.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-18, 12:24 AM
Yeah, there is a Persistant Spell metamagic feat, but it has a cost of +6 spell levels. Since you were talking about Extra Turning and stuff, we assume you're talking about using Divine Metamagic to get around that limitation, but DMM is explicitly, as per the CDiv Errata, only usable with Divine spells.

Basically, there's NO WAY to Persist (Tenser's) Transformation, short of being epic and having 12th-level spell slots, or using some PrC/feat cheese to reclassify some or all of your arcane spells as divine.

Wrong :smallwink:

Incantatrix. Easy Metamagic. Arcane Thesis.

Douglas
2009-01-18, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it's only +4 and it's enhancement so it doesn't stack with magic items. The full BAB is useless with a class that already has full BAB like Duskblade, and the loss of spellcasting ability is a HUGE drawback.

If you want to play a hugely buffed Persistent Spell gish, play a straight cleric, they can do it better. If you want to play a Duskblade, don't worry about a spell that gives almost entirely redundant bonuses like Tenser's Transformation and has a crippling drawback. It doesn't just prevent buffing yourself, it also prevents Arcane Channeling attack spells through your weapon - or using them at all, for that matter.

RTGoodman
2009-01-18, 12:29 AM
Wrong :smallwink:

Incantatrix. Easy Metamagic. Arcane Thesis.

Okay, or using Incantatrix/metamagic-reducing PrCs/feats/cheese, either. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

Ixahinon
2009-01-18, 12:29 AM
damn. I like the idea of duskblade...but eh...I feel somehow you could do better if you just worked at it. Ahh well...Thanks anyway

Assassin89
2009-01-18, 12:31 AM
No. You can cast 1st level spells at caster level 5. Big difference. (And you have to be a 5th level character.)
Slight miscalculation on my part.

That's not accurate, I'm afraid. Practiced Spellcaster lets you pick any one spellcasting class, and adds +4 to your CL in that class, up to the limit of your HD. So Practiced Spellcaster could increase either the Duskblade or some other spellcasting class's caster level. In neither case will the resultant allow casting Tenser's Transformation.

I assumed that the spellcasting class affected was wizard.

I'm beginning to think that there is no feat that can satisfy the conditions of the OP.

Talic
2009-01-18, 12:35 AM
If you're going to use cleric and DMM anyway, why not just go for Divine Power? Better in pretty much every way.

Duskblade's real strength lies in getting full melee attacks with a spell they put into a weapon. Combine with Bloodstorm blade, and you can make it full ranged attacks too. If you really want to get messy, add in the whirlwind attack feat and get a LOT of attacks.

AslanCross
2009-01-18, 12:40 AM
The Duskblade is a good class, and if you use it with Arcane Strike and Power Attack you can end up doing a lot of damage even with just channeling shocking grasp. Of course, the Duskblade is primarily a damage dealer and really isn't mean to have the versatility of a true gish.

Hawriel
2009-01-18, 01:00 AM
Go find a wizard to make an amulent of Tensers transformation 1/day use. Pay well.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-18, 01:06 AM
Is there a cleric in the party? You can always buy bracelets of spellsharing from the DMG2, this allows you to share personal spells (at the cost of reducing duration).

The Duskblade is a very nice class, but it's not a great class to dip.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-18, 01:07 AM
My initial idea was that I could get a character high enough to use Tensor's Transformation ...

Once I hit 6th level for Tensor's I'd stop, and take a level or two in Cleric for Extra Turning, and Divine Metamagic ... It's Tenser's Transformation; please note the correct spelling.

As others have pointed out, you can only use Divine Metamagic to reduce the metamagic cost of divine spells. That said, the Wrath domain (Spell Compendium) does feature Tenser's Transformation as its 7th-level spell. So it is possible to persist this spell via undead turn attempts -- but you'd need to be Cleric level 13 to do so, which isn't practical if you're already advanced to 5th level Duskblade spells.

It's easier to just wait until level 21, and take the Improved Spell Capacity [Epic] feat so you can cast 6th level spells as a Duskblade.

Whiplord
2009-01-18, 02:41 AM
Although this won't really help you, it is entirely possible to persist arcane spells. Two feats allow it. Either Southern Magician (FRCS), or Alternate Source (not sure...). Both those allow you to cast an arcane spell as a divine spell, which qualifies it for use with DMM.

Realms of Chaos
2009-01-18, 10:19 AM
I'd like to take the time to point out that it doesn't matter whether or not you get 6th level spells.

The Duskblade doesn't have a 6th level spell list. If you got a 6th level spell slot, it would be worthless except to cast another 5th level or lower spell, perhaps with more metamagic.
Perhaps you were intending to take the extra spell feat (complete arcane). Unfortunately, that feat does not allow you to get spells of your highest spell level, only your second highest or under. You'd need access to 7th level spells before you could learn the spell in such a way.
In short, the earliest that you are going to get tenser's transformation is 27th level (taking improved spell capacity at 21st and 24th and extra spell at 27th).

playswithfire
2009-01-18, 10:50 AM
Bard 1/Duskblade 13/Sublime Chord 6
either Human with Able Learner or anything with starting INT 16 or better, but you'll be a bit skill starved with option 2

BAB 16
Spells Known: 2+INT 0th level, 5 1st level, 4 2nd level, 4 3rd level, 1 4th level from duskblade list + 4 4th level, 4 5th level, 3 6th level, 2 7th level from bard or sorc/wizard list

Bardic Music: 4/day, inspire courage, song of arcane power, song of timelessness, fascinate, countersong

Arcane channeling(full attack), armored mage(medium armor and heavy shield)

Regrettably does need two casting stats

Eldariel
2009-01-18, 11:02 AM
If you want a true Gish, just make it a base Wizard. That'll get you all the higher level slots and with some work, you'll get some channeling, armor, etc. too (Spellsword and Smiting Spell, respectively). Wizard 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 10 is a fairly good build, for example (not in that order; you need to enter Eldritch Knight first to up your BAB for the Abjurant Champion). Level 19 casting, BAB 17.

You qualify for Eldritch Knight through the Otherworldly-feat which makes you an Outsider and thus proficient with all martial weapons (alternatively the "Militia"-feat, which means you've been a part of a Militia force and thus are proficient with all martial weapons). Burning 3 feats on armor proficiencies would qualify for Spellsword, but is kinda not worth it. If one wants a level of Spellsword, Fighter/ToB-entry class is better.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-18, 05:10 PM
I'd like to take the time to point out that it doesn't matter whether or not you get 6th level spells.

The Duskblade doesn't have a 6th level spell list. Actually, the Duskblade doesn't have an Epic progression at all, so one needs to be created. There are two ways to go about this:
The DM creates a 6th level Duskblade spell list.
Use the pattern for other spellcasting classes and get a bonus feat every 3 levels. Take the Spell Knowledge [Epic] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellKnowledge) feat, and put Tenser's Transformation on your list yourself.