PDA

View Full Version : Gui

Lupy
2009-01-18, 11:00 PM
Out of all the various GUIs for Linux, which do you prefer?

The way I see it, KDE has by far the best eye candy, and Xfce is a speed demon (it's what I'm using right now), and Gnome is well, GNU.

I'm having a hard time choosing which one I like the best, so I'm curious as to which one(s) you all prefer?

To all Windows users seeking to invade our thread: Beryl is better than Aero! :smalltongue:

InaVegt
2009-01-18, 11:07 PM
Compiz Fusion over Gnome with AWN.

Last_resort_33
2009-01-19, 05:47 AM
I would agree with that too... KDE is kinda nice, but I grew up with gnome.

Haruki-kun
2009-01-19, 10:09 AM

Agreed.

But I still have a lot of eyecandy to download and install. And I've never had KDE.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-19, 11:34 AM
What GUI does Ubuntu come with? And for those using those little netbooks with Linux, what GUI do they use?

The one (and only one!) being sold at my local Wal Mart is using Windows XP (I thought Microsoft was discontinuing XP in favor of Vista??? :smalltongue:)

Anyways, I was considering buying one of those netbooks for their intended purpose... Having an internet capable machine I can carry in my coat pocket.

Lupy
2009-01-19, 01:27 PM
What GUI does Ubuntu come with?

Gnome. Fillertext.

valadil
2009-01-20, 10:22 AM
I typed this up yesterday, but the lagmonster ate my post :-(

I actively use Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. I've tried a ton of other WMs too.

KDE is what I use at work. I'm not a fan, but I've learned to live with it. Gnome kept breaking here and the admins didn't seem to care. Since I'm using a redhat based distro (Centos 3), Gnome and KDE are themed to look similar. Also, I kinda like having a different environment at work.

Anyway, I find KDE gaudy and ugly. It just tries too hard. Like, I'll look at a KDE style button. It's the shiniest, most majestic GUI widget I ever did see. Then I look at the KDE desktop and it's littered with dozens of these buttons. Individually they're pretty, but all at once it's too much. I find that the best KDE themes are the ones that try to look like Gnome.

Gnome is still my favorite. It doesn't have the options KDE does, but that doesn't matter to me. Why? Because Gnome defaults to the options I would have picked. Not always, but often enough. In KDE I have to make several sweeps through the control panel to get everything right. Gnome has just a few tweaks here and there. I like the simplistic and elegant appearance. Almost all my apps of choice are GTK based. I use Gnome on my desktop, which is my primary machine. Oh yeah, I do use compiz here. It has a few features I really like (ring switcher, window previews) and doesn't get in my way too much. No AWN for me. It makes nice screenshots, but I find it horrible to use. I'm considering trying gnome-do's docky when it matures a little though.

My laptop is running XFCE. I was trying to use fluxbox, but that was a little too minimalistic for me. I think where I draw the line is that I want a WM that manages my GTK settings. If it can't do that it's too light. Anyway, XFCE is close enough to gnome, while remaining lightweight. I like it but it's not perfect.