PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Variant- Darkling Elementalist (need advice

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2006-10-15, 04:39 PM
I recently got the inspiration to design a new form of Wizard after playing FF1 (DoS version) and flicking through the Dragon Magazine article on the Evil Archomentals (Elemental Princes).

The basic principle of the character is that it invokes the energy of "Darkling Elemental Spirits (aka evil elementals- this is basically the same as chanting an incantation and is thus simply a vocal spell component) and then manifests the gifted elemental energy in the form of a spell. Besides your opinion on whether this is a good idea or not, I need help in three things:

One: the "stats" for the class; attack/save bonus, HP progression, class skills etc

Two: I was thinking of using a mana system for this- to be more accurate, I was thinking of using a mana/spell levels system ala FF2. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Three: I need advice on designing spells for the class. I do at least have some vague ideas as to the effects each "Darkling Element" can cause. Before you point out there are 5 elements listed, I know; I said this was inspired by the Arcomental article in Dragon, and it includes Cryonax, Elemental Prince of Evil Cold Creatures.

Black Earth: earth-tremors/avalanches/mudslides, quicksand, killing plant life, slashing/stabbing/bludgeoning with rocks, eroding earth, rusting metal

Dark Water: poison, plague, tidal waves, pressurised jets of water

Tainted Air: literally cutting winds, suffocation, mist, lightning

Wild Fire: fire damage

Bitter Cold: cold damage, using ice to stab/slash/crush

Dual-Type: spells that draw on two elements simultaneously to achieve greater versatility. For example, a Water/Air dual-type spell could create a cloud of poisonous vapours.