PDA

View Full Version : Temporal Warrior[Base Class]

ishi
2006-10-11, 08:54 PM
Looking for some feedback on a base class. It's a warrior who has learned to manipulate the timestream for an advantage in combat. Any suggestions are welcome.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack| Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0| Fast Movement +5ft, Improved Initiative
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Uncanny Dodge
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Temporal Aura (+5ft, Ref +1)
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Extended Casting
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Fast Movement +10ft
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Bonus Feat
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Temporal Aura (10ft, Ref +2)
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Fast Movement +15ft
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Bonus Feat
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Temporal Aura (+15ft, Ref +3)
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Fast Movement +20
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Bonus Feat
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Timeless Body
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Temporal Aura (+20ft, Ref +4)
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Fast Movement +25ft[/table]

A thousand thank-yous to Fax Celestis for the table code! It saved me a great deal of work.

HD:d8
Skills Points per level: 2+Int modifier
Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Jump, Knowledge(arcana), Profession, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device
Proficiencies: A temporal warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, but not with shields.

Fast Movement (Su): A temporal warrior is able to accelerate himself to increase his movement. At first level, this grants him a +5ft/round bonus to any speed he might have. Every 5 class levels, the bonus increases by another 5ft/round.

Improved Initiative: A temporal warrior gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge (Su): At 2nd level, a temporal warrior is able to sense things a small time into the future, allowing him to react to danger before his normal senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a temporal warrior already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Temporal Aura (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, the temporal warrior begins to warp the timestream around him to aid his comrades. All allies within 40ft of the temporal warrior gain a +5ft bonus to any movement speeds they have, and a +1 bonus on reflex saves.

Every 5 levels after 3rd, the bonus to speed increases by 5ft, and the bonus to reflex saves increases by 1.

Extended Casting (Su): Any spell from the temporal warrior spell list with a duration longer than instantaneous is cast as though the Extend Spell feat had been used, though the spell level does not increase.

Spells: A temporal warrior casts arcane spells from the Temporal Warrior spell list shown below. The temporal warrior has the same spells per day as a Paladin of the same level (sorry, the screen is not wide enough to put this on the chart).

A temporal warrior's caster level is one-half his class level.

A temporal warrior knows all spells on the Temporal Warrior spell list. He need not memorize his spells beforehand, but casts them spontaneously. In order to cast a spell, a temporal warrior must have a Intelligence score of at least (10+spell level). A temporal warrior uses Intelligence to determine bonus spells. The save against a temporal warrior's spell is (10+spell level+Intelligence modifier).

A temporal warrior does not suffer from arcane spell failure chance while wearing light or medium armor. A temporal warrior wearing heavy armor or using a shield is subject to those spell failure chances as normal.

Bonus Feat: At 6th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, the temporal warrior gets a bonus feat from the fighter's bonus feat list.

Improved Uncanny Dodge(Su): At 7th, level, a temporal warrior's ability to see the immediate future improves. At 7th level, a temporal warrior can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the temporal warrior by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has temporal warrior levels.

Timeless Body (Su): At 17th level, a temporal warrior has achieved total control over his own degredation over time. After this point, he no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the temporal warrior still dies of old age when his time is up.

A lot of the spells are actually psionic powers. I couldn't find enough actual spells, so I delved into the psionic powers. In this case, just cast them at the level shown, as their unaugmented effects dictate. I am only using the SRD and my horrendous memory for these, so if anyone else has other time-based spells or powers, either from a WotC source or homemade, please suggest them!

Temporal Warrior Spells:
1st: Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Longstrider, Deceleration, Deja Vu, Burst, Precognition
2nd: Augury, Delay Poison, Gentle Repose, Hold Animal, Lesser Celerity, Recall Agony, Swift Haste, Hustle
3rd: Hold Person, Haste, Slow, Time Hop, Plant Growth
4th: Divination, Freedom of Movement, Celerity, Quintessence

Seraph
2006-10-11, 09:25 PM
explain what the abilities do.

Jack Mann
2006-10-11, 09:31 PM
I think he's getting to that, Seraph. Hence his comment about not meaning to post the table alone.

ishi
2006-10-11, 09:37 PM
I think he's getting to that, Seraph. Hence his comment about not meaning to post the table alone.

Yes, JackMann. As it turns out, I am incapable of differentiating between "Preview" and "Post". :-/

The abilities should be up now. Many of them are just class features from other classes, the homemade ones are pretty simple.

My first homemade class! Suggestions? Spells?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 12:52 AM
Okay, so they're quick and they cast some minor magics. Perhaps a free Quicken Spell metamagic? Perhaps Quick Cast (as the Duskblade ability)?

ishi
2006-10-12, 01:19 AM
Not familiar with Quick Cast, as I haven't got PHBII yet. :P

Re: Quicken: Since I was planning on adding more spells (as soon as I got my hands on a Spell Compendium), I was concerned about overpowering their spellcasting, which isn't supposed to be that good. You don't think that Quicken will overdo it when I put in more spells/powers?

Miles Invictus
2006-10-12, 03:48 AM
Neat..it's the skirmisher from hell. :)

Latronis
2006-10-12, 11:32 AM
just a small nipicky thing but i see no profeciences

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-12, 11:50 AM
Read Thief of Time lately?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 12:17 PM
Not familiar with Quick Cast, as I haven't got PHBII yet. :P

Re: Quicken: Since I was planning on adding more spells (as soon as I got my hands on a Spell Compendium), I was concerned about overpowering their spellcasting, which isn't supposed to be that good. You don't think that Quicken will overdo it when I put in more spells/powers?

Depends on how you do it. I'd do it as Sudden Quicken, spread out over a couple levels. So at, say, level 7, he can Sudden Quicken one spell per day. At level 12, he can do it twice. And at 17, he can do it three times.

ishi
2006-10-12, 01:44 PM
Read Thief of Time lately?

"Thief of Time"? No. Any good?

just a small nipicky thing but i see no profeciences

Oops. Proficiencies added.

Proven_Paradox
2006-10-12, 07:07 PM
I would clarify one thing... Does he still take arcane spell penalties from using shields? I would assume so since that line makes no mention of shields, but I think it might be a good idea to eliminate any ambiguity there.

Otherwise, I like it.

Hyrael
2006-10-13, 11:22 AM
"Thief of Time"? No. Any good?

Oops. Proficiencies added.
Yes, its very good, and would give you some great ideas for this class, particularly the fluff and additional things you can do with Time. however, in order to read it, you have to read like fifteen other books, otherwise you wont get any of the jokes and wont understand how the world works. Its a Book from terry pratchett's Discworld series, which are all more or less masterpeices of satire, humor, and english literature.

beholder
2006-10-13, 11:51 AM
Yes, its very good, and would give you some great ideas for this class, particularly the fluff and additional things you can do with Time. however, in order to read it, you have to read like fifteen other books, otherwise you wont get any of the jokes and wont understand how the world works. Its a Book from terry pratchett's Discworld series, which are all more or less masterpeices of satire, humor, and english literature.
Amen

LordOfNarf
2006-10-13, 06:00 PM
its good and well written, but a few nits to pick:

as written, temporal aura stacks with speed bonus, since you are alwaays your own ally.

Also, it might work better as a presige class, as a rule of thumb, 1 word=base class 2 or more=PrC.

ishi
2006-10-13, 06:15 PM
its good and well written, but a few nits to pick:

as written, temporal aura stacks with speed bonus, since you are alwaays your own ally.

Also, it might work better as a presige class, as a rule of thumb, 1 word=base class 2 or more=PrC.

I considered making it a PrC, but I saw a problem: since they are using supernatural abilities to enhance their combat abilities, I would want one of the prerequisites to be "ability to cast Haste or some other ability that makes more sense to a caster than a meatshield. Then, if I made them a caster-based class, what would I do with the spells? I didn't want their spells to augment an existing list, I wanted them to have their own time-themed list.

That paragraph was pretty poorly worded, but I don't really know how to explain it...does that explanation make any sense at all? ???

Fax Celestis
2006-10-13, 08:44 PM
Yes, but there's no reason you can't give them Supernatural abilities without a prerequisite spell.

See Also: Elocator.

ishi
2006-10-13, 09:00 PM
As a 10 level PrC, spells per day...like a Blackguard or Assassin?

Elocator gains manifestor levels from a pre-existing class, and are still required to be able to manifest powers, even though a specific power is not mentioned. What prereq's do I put on it as a PrC without using spells? I can put a few feats on there, but then what? I don't want it to become too spell-oriented.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-15, 06:37 AM
Maybe Psionics, rather than magic, as Psionics seem to have more Time Manipulation stuff going on than magic, what with Time Hop, Deja Vu, Hustle, Temporal Accelaration, Deja Vu, Timeless Body.

Deja Fu [General]

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Temporal Aura Class Features

Benefit: You Monk and Temporal Warrior levels stack for the purposes of determining Unarmed Strike damage and Temporal Aura class features, and your AC bonus class feature (if any) adds your Int modifier, rather than Wis modifier to your AC.

Also, in a round when you use your flurry of blows class feature (if any) you may make one extra attack at your highest Base Attack Bonus, though it takes any Flurry of Blows penalties as usual. You may use this second benefit a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-15, 09:20 AM
I like the concept, and it's well made, but it does seem more fitting as a PrC.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-15, 09:31 AM
There's precedent for rather specific base classes. Soulknife, Spirit Shaman, Dragon Shaman, Spellthief, Warlock, possibly Druid, Monk and Ninja.

ishi
2006-10-15, 01:34 PM
Maybe Psionics, rather than magic, as Psionics seem to have more Time Manipulation stuff going on than magic, what with Time Hop, Deja Vu, Hustle, Temporal Accelaration, Deja Vu, Timeless Body.

Thought about that, and about half of the "spells" are powers anyways...

Deja Fu [General]

;D

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-15, 02:51 PM
Even funnier if you've read Thief of Time (which you should). Other martial arts include Okidoki, Upzidazi, Nokando, Sna-fu, and others.