PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Cardinals are going to the Superbowl!!

late for dinner
2009-01-20, 12:59 PM
Ok, I am going to make a wild Guess and say that oh, a good 75% of playgrounders dont like sports...or just dont care....(It's not mean, it's stereotypical:smallbiggrin:) Anyways...for those of you who like sports/football...THIS IS HUGE!!! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?!?!!?...For those of you who are reading this and dont like sports or just dont care....The Cardinals are a team that has been in last place for a loooooong time...61 years without making it to a conference championship...and this will be the first apperence in the superbowl for them since they became the Arizona Cardinals...1988....heck this is the first superbowl for them since 1947!! So Go Arizona...(my state)...and beat that Crummy Pitsburgh team!

Flame of Anor
2009-01-20, 01:11 PM
I wish the Chicago Cubs could do well enough to go to the Superbowl...:smallfrown:

I was joking. :p

Maelstrom
2009-01-20, 01:28 PM
I see that "Late for Dinner" is no misnomer, but in fact is a very apt name indeed.

As for the Cards... Couldn't be more excited for them! It's been a looong time in coming!

Dirk Kris
2009-01-20, 01:33 PM
OK, mad props to the Cardinals and all that, they've done very well to get this far. But let's face it - in the Big Game, they're going down.

GO STEELERS!

merccobb
2009-01-20, 01:48 PM
All due congratulations to Cardinal fans, but Sunday was a sad sad day for us loyal Cleveland Browns fans. Not only did we have to endure watching our two most hated rivals (the Steelers and Bizarro Browns... err Ravens) play for the right to go to the Super Bowl, we had to watch yet one more team make it to the big game before we could.

The list of teams yet to make the Super Bowl has dwindled to 5 with Arizona's stunning ascension... The Lions, Saints, Texans, Jaguars, and Browns. Of those 5, only the Lions and Browns have been around since the 1966 season when the first Super Bowl was played, as the Saints entered the league in 1967 and the Texans and Jaguars are recent expansion teams.

And yes, Cubs fan, we know that your championship drought is legendary. But consider the plight of the Cleveland professional sports fan, which has not seen a championship since 1964 (the last time the Browns won the NFL championship). The Indians have not won since 1948, and the Cavs have never won. At least Chicago has had the Bears and the Bulls (I won't mention the White Sox, since it is impossible to be both a Cubs and White Sox fan simultaneously).

So go Cardinal fans! Enjoy your moment in the sun. Please knock those smug grins off the Stiller's faces.

Assassin89
2009-01-20, 05:00 PM
I do not care much for the superbowl, but with the uninteresting world series, I am not going to watch it, and therefore I do not care about the results.

Allysian
2009-01-20, 05:22 PM
Oh shut up. Especially you, dirk kris, just. JUST SHUT UP!!!!

ravens, you have failed me, *sniff*

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 05:31 PM
I don't follow pro football that much (mine state's own Carolina Panthers swing wildly back and forth between good and terrible every few seasons, it seems), but I'll probably still watch the Super Bowl and may even cheer for the Cards. I do love seeing teams do the impossible (I REALLY wanted to see the Pats have an undefeated season last year), so I may cheer for the Cardinals. Unfortunately, though, late for dinner, I don't know if your team will be able to pull it off - my (metaphorical) money is on the Steelers.

PhantomFox
2009-01-20, 05:39 PM
Well, despite the fact I like the Card's Cinderella story, I'm going to have to go for the Steelers. For one, they beat my beloved Ravens, and if we're going to be beaten, they might as well be beaten by the Super Bowl champs. That, and the Steelers' Defense is too dominant. And their offense isn't bad either.

Sewer_Bandito
2009-01-20, 05:42 PM
*stares at his panthers foam finger in the corner of the room and sighs*

Collin152
2009-01-20, 06:11 PM
I've always called my state's team "The Football equivalent of the Washington Senators", so I can't imagine them winning the whole enchilada. Still a shock they got there, though.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-20, 08:48 PM
I've always called my state's team "The Football equivalent of the Washington Senators", so I can't imagine them winning the whole enchilada. Still a shock they got there, though.

I wouldn't necessarily make that comparison. Seeing as they did indeed win the AL pennant several times, and after they moved and became the Twins, have won two World Series'. Now, if you had said the Expos, then that's a good comparison.

As to the Super Bowl...Go Steelers. Even though they made it when nobody said they would, I still do not think the Cardinals are the best team in the NFC. I think it's going to be too much for Arizona to beat the #1 rush and pass defense in the NFL. What kind of shape Rothlisburger will be in for the game is another story. Although I wish there was only a week between the championship games and the Super Bowl instead of two.

Pendragonx
2009-01-20, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling the Steelers are going to win. I think defense consistanly wins superbowls ..and the Steelers right now are the best there is.. so sayeth the NFL.

Metal Head
2009-01-20, 08:52 PM
Oh god, I almost forgot about the tragedy that was the last superbowl. Damn you for reminding me!

Flame of Anor
2009-01-20, 11:47 PM
Come on, sports should be banned--you're treating them just exactly the same as religion. :smalltongue:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-20, 11:55 PM
Come on, sports should be banned--you're treating them just exactly the same as religion. :smalltongue:

Hey! just because may not like sports, doesn't mean there aren't quite a number of people on the boards that do.

UncleWolf
2009-01-21, 12:28 AM
OK, mad props to the Cardinals and all that, they've done very well to get this far. But let's face it - in the Big Game, they're going down.

GO STEELERS!

*slaps*
I had been rooting for the Ravens.
But for the Superbowl, I hope the Steelers crush the Cardinals. That way I don't feel so bad about the Ravens losing.:smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2009-01-21, 05:32 AM
I have to say I'm kind of happy for the Cardinals.
They have had a great season (except for those last games after they'd already clinched the division title) and seems to have peaked just in time for the playoffs.

Was a bit hairy for them in the COnference championship game when they let the Eagles come back in the second half, but showed great poise to respond to get the winning score after the Eagles got the TD to take the lead.

And what about Larry Fitzgerald? Holy damn, he's a good player.
I'd expect the Steelers defense spending a lot of attention to him in the Super Bowl, which will likely free up Anquan Boldin instead.
Look for Boldin to have a big game in the Super Bowl.

Of course, the Cards will also have to contend with the travel to Tampa for their game, and it's well documented this season that they've struggled in the Eastern Time Zone.

I hope the Cardinals win it.

ForzaFiori
2009-01-21, 06:48 AM
Go Steelers. Since the Panthers couldn't make it, I'll go with my next favorite team. Sorry Cardinals fans. Good job making it here, but you gotta wait one more year to actually win it.

late for dinner
2009-01-21, 12:30 PM
In response to everyone so far:

1) Cubs will never win a world Series

2) All of you that are rooting for the Steelers are Jerks :smallbiggrin:

3) Cavs are going to win an NBA Championship this year

4) The best thing about the Superbowl last year was watching the Patriots cry

5) I am a Die hard AZ sports fan:(in this order) Dbacks, Suns, Cards,(not a big hockey fan) Other teams I like: Cavs, White Sox, St Louis Cards, Chargers, Bears

6) Most of you might not like it, but the teams I cant stand (this will explain my biasness (I think i misspelled that word) ) (oh yeah and in order of awefulness to me) The Cubs, Patriots, Spurs, Steelers, Dodgers, Red Sox, Pistons, Cowboys. I have never liked any of these teams...ever...and I smile when they lose.

7) KuReshtin is my favorite poster so far.

8) When the Cardinals win the superbowl, I will post another thread called, "I told you so..." and you steeler people are right, it will be tough for the Cards, Steeler D is freaking rediculous.

Googlywirdo
2009-01-21, 08:23 PM
I'm happy that the Cardinals are going to the Superbowl, and if they win I will probably jump up and down. But since I'm from Tucson, I had my football victory when U of A beat ASU. :smallbiggrin:

PhoeKun
2009-01-21, 09:12 PM
A couple of notes:

1) This is the wrong place to bring up last year's Super Bowl. You've had almost 365 days to gloat, and in most cases, it wasn't even your team that won. It's beyond irritating, so focus on the game ahead, instead.

2) Arizona fans - understand that you have been riding a Perfect Storm to this point. Your wildcard game was at home, against a team with a rookie QB and a running back (Micheal Turner) who for whatever reason did not travel well this year. It was the most immanently winnable match up for the Cards out of all possible draws (even more so after it was revealed that Matt Ryan snapped the ball after a one-count the entire game. He has a degree, and he can't count to two? :smallconfused:).

Then in the divisional round, you traveled into Carolina you traveled into Carolina - notably not a frozen wasteland like New Jersey - to play the Panthers and their up-again-down-again quarterback Jake Delhomme... who was notably down. Again. A lot of respect is deserved for beating a team that played as well throughout the year as the Panthers, but it definitely helped out to not have to deal with super-cold weather.

The Eagle's victory over the Giants made the Championship game a home game, and against a wildly inconsistent opponent (tied the Bengals at home, beat the Giants on the road twice) that you matched up against much better than the team they beat. And if McNabb hadn't missed DeSean Jackson towards the end of the game, this would be an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl. But again, the Cardinals played well enough to win.

Home-Away-Home, and all the cold cities got missed. Definitely the best case scenario the Cardinals could have dared to hope for. And they got it. Now, what does this mean? One, some, or all of the following:

- The best team in the NFC did not make the Super Bowl
- The Cardinals are this year's team of destiny
- This is a crazy NFL season, and nobody should rightly be able to claim with certainty that anything is certain

On the other side of the coin, the Steelers have gone the last 8 or something games without allowing more than 17 points, which is nothing short of dominant. But their quarterback gets hit more than sand at a beach and just suffered a spinal concussion, and a vitally important player in Hines Warde just twisted his knee against the Ravens. And make no mistakes - it's the Steelers offense or the Cardinals defense that actually has to win this game. So let's not allow the '08-'09 version of the Steel Curtain to cloud our judgment.

Final verdict? Statistically, there can be no argument that the Cardinals are underdogs - a victory will be an upset. With that said, the phrase "any given Sunday" exists for a reason. The only advice I can give is that the louder you bark as a fan, the more likely you are to look foolish after the game is played. Nothing's certain, and for that reason, I don't make Super Bowl predictions. I'm no good at weather forecasts, either. Good luck to both sides. It cannot be said that neither team deserves the win.

Lord Mancow
2009-01-28, 06:02 AM
Is the Cardinals the team with the player who is from the AFL?

(Australian Football League (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PFRrJQtew))

late for dinner
2009-01-28, 08:30 AM
Kurt Warner, the quarterback, used to play for the AFL...but that was Arena Football League...not Australian Football League

DraPrime
2009-01-28, 09:59 AM
This superbowl is insignificant, because we all know that the Patriots should have had another near perfect season, except this time they win!

PhantomFox
2009-01-28, 06:09 PM
Rooting for the Patriots is like rooting for Bill Gates to win the lottery.

PhoeKun
2009-01-29, 02:00 AM
Rooting for the Patriots is like rooting for Bill Gates to win the lottery.

Prior to 2000, the Patriots had never won a Superbowl. They had endured multiple 1 win and 2 win seasons, and had essentially spent the entire history of the franchise being a league punching bag. Patriots fans endured Rod Rust, and 30 years of being terrible. They've finally clawed their way up to the top.

Kindly lay off of them for stringing together a few great years.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-01-29, 03:33 AM
Go Ben Graham!

late for dinner
2009-01-29, 06:49 PM
Prior to 2000, the Patriots had never won a Superbowl. They had endured multiple 1 win and 2 win seasons, and had essentially spent the entire history of the franchise being a league punching bag. Patriots fans endured Rod Rust, and 30 years of being terrible. They've finally clawed their way up to the top.

Kindly lay off of them for stringing together a few great years.

I gotta applaud you for your football stat knowlege. But on your whole rant earlier about the cards it kind of sounded like you werent giving them the recognition they deserved...As far as I am concerned, it always seems like the Arizona Teams in general are always downtalked more than they deserve to be. The cardinals are the best team in the nfc. They proved it. They won enough to make it to the playoffs and when the time came for them to play, it doesnt matter where, they showed up. I agree it was a perfect storm, but that still doesnt mean that it was easy. They took apart the panthers, a team they have had trouble with in the past. and they, other than the third quarter, destroyed the eagles. The last time the cardinals played the steelers, we won...I know it wasnt the same team, but they were still better than the cardinals. Dont count the birds out yet...so far that is all anyone has been doing and Arizona continues to prove them all wrong.

DraPrime
2009-01-29, 07:19 PM

Indeed. I remember the nineties as dark times for us New Englanders when it came to football.