PDA

View Full Version : Feating up a Spellthief (3.5e, level 1)

Adumbration
2009-01-20, 01:33 PM
My current stat array:
Str 12
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 11
Cha 16

As you can see, I rolled pretty decently, and so I decided to take Spellthief as my class. This decision was greatly affected by the fact that as of this moment, our party consists of a Wizard, Cleric, Sorcerer, me, and one undecided. So I should have an abundance of spells to borrow, especially the cleric should be willing to lend me a Cure Light wounds, just in case he goes under.

My races is Human, and I have two flaws available for use, but I'm having trouble deciding on what to use them on. Any ideas? At this moment I only have Two-weapon fighting, and even that's not settled.

My role consists of skillmonkeying, helping out the cleric with frontlining, and keeping enemy casters busy - I especially hope to use a crossbow of sorts to start the combat by sneak attacking any convenient hostile caster within range, thus gaining a spell.

EDIT: Ah, forgot to mention, the majority of books are available, with a few exceptions, such as Magic Item Compedium and Eberron Campaign Setting.

Tehnar
2009-01-20, 01:51 PM
Hmm I would suggest:

Improved initiative is always a solid feat, especially if you can ninja (borrow) nerveskitter of a caster.

I would refrain from the two weapon tree for now, since if you do, you will most likely be the only one in melee range, at least until higher levels where summons and/or the cleric can help you out there. A hand x bow is a good ranged weapon, because with proper feats you can sneak attack at 60 ft, and add a part of your dex modifier to damage. If you are going that route pick up some point blank and precise shot.

If you know there will be lots of psionics, psithief is a good feat (CS).

Keld Denar
2009-01-20, 02:41 PM
Craven is oft cited as a very important "rogue" feat, although IMO, its even better on a Spelltheif. Because you often give up your SA dice to do other neato things, Craven gives you an alternate source of bonus damage that you wouldn't lose when you sacrifice your SA dice. Just a thought.

And yea, starting at one, with that many casters, I'd look into getting some archery or thrown weapons for at least the first couple levels. A Grease thrown out by either the Wiz or Sorc (or yourself if you "borrow" one) will allow you to SA at range even after the first round of combat, as will a Glitterdust (everyone is treated as invisible to a blinded person). Mixing it up at low levels with a 12 Con and a d6 HD has a high probability of leaving you prone in a pool of your own blood cupping the tattered remains of your large intestine and screaming WHY!!!!! as the world grows dark and cold around you. And last time I checked, thats a bad thing! You can still take TWF feats, just be really shy about entering melee unless victory is certain or you absolutely have to.

Temp.
2009-01-20, 02:44 PM
If you have four feats, I'm inclined to plug TWF, Point Blank shot, Precise Shot and Quickdraw, but that's mostly because I'm a big fan of thrown weapons.

From what you say, Crossbow Sniper from the PHB2's probably a good fit--partially for the extra low-level damage, but extended sneak attacks are also good. You'd probably want to follow it up with Rapid Reload and the standard archery feats.

If you're expected to be doing the stealth work for the party, Darkstalker (LoM) is absolutely incredible and it only gets better as you level up. Quick Reconnoiter (CAd) and Improved Initiative are also pretty slick.

I find Able Learner to be useful more often than not with skillmonkeys, but Spellthief might be an exception.

If you plan on going for TWF, Somatic Weaponry (CM?) and Eschew Materials might be necessary. Or take Quickdraw in a couple of levels. Or Improved Unarmed Strike to keep your hands free.

Adumbration
2009-01-20, 03:09 PM
Argh, damn you +0 BaB of level 1 spellthief. So many feats that I would love, but don't qualify for. Still, I'm getting a lot of ideas. Looking into Craven, since the spellthief SA progression isn't that hot, Rapid Reload, maybe TWFing two crossbows at the first round - we'll see.

In the other hand, I might change the race to Gray Elf. So many choices!

EDIT: I've also received permission from the DM to take a Spelltouched feat, if I like. Would Residual Rebound be worth it?

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 03:32 PM
Residual Rebound is pretty awesome, albeit circumstantial. As far as other feats, I personally recommend Magic Device Attunement (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Magic_Device_Attunement,CM), as it makes wand-using infinitely easier.

Hzurr
2009-01-20, 04:25 PM
I have nothing to add to this conversation, but I accidentally misread the thread title as "Feeling up a spellthief"

Needless to say, I was minorly disappointed when I found out I was wrong.