PDA

View Full Version : METAL! (PrC)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-16, 03:00 AM
Metal Bard

"We're here to make coffee metal, make everything metal! Blacker than the blackest black! Times infinity!"
-Nathan Explosion

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1511/dethklokpapercw4.jpg

HD: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Any nongood, nonlawful
Feats: Blasphemous Utterance, Undertone of Heresy
Skills: Perform (string instrument, sing or precussion instrument) 10 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks
Special: Bardic Music class feature.

Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Bardic Music, Bardic Metal|--
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Power Ballad|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|--|--
6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Greater Power Ballad|+1 level of spellcasting class
7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+6|+6|+6|+2|Power Metal|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+6|+6|+6|+3|Legendar Power Ballad|--
10th|+7|+7|+7|+3|Metalocalypse|+1 level of spellcasting class
[/table]

Proficiencies: Metal Bards are proficient with the battleaxe, greataxe or greatsword. They gain no additional proficiencies.

Bardic Music (Su): Metal bard levels stack with bard levels in order to determine uses per day of bardic music.

Bardic Metal (Su): Metal bards are the masters of defeaning music like no other. A Metal bard with at least 10 ranks in perform (either string instrument, sing or precussion instrument) may use one use of bardic music to deafen his foes for as long as he plays. A victem must make a fortitude save equal to a metal bards perform check each round the Metal bard plays. A Metal bard can play as long as 2 minutes (20 rounds) and may use another use of his bardic music to continue playing another 2 minutes.

Spellcasting: At every level except 1st, 5th and 9th, when a new Metal bardlevel is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in bard to determine arcane spellcasting. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained except bardic music. This essentially means that she adds the level of Metal bard to the level of bard, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Power Ballad (Su): A Metal bard with at least 12 ranks in perform may inspire his allies with great power through the force of sheer metal. A Metal bard may use one use of his bardic music, play for as many rounds as his Cha modifier + 3 and when he does all allies within 60 ft. gain a +4 morale bonues to Str and Con, a +2 morale bonus to will saves, and a -2 penalty to AC. When the Power Ballad ends all those affected are considered shaked for the rest of the encounter from all the hardcore headbanging they did during the Power Ballad. Metal bards may use an additional use of thier bardic music to continue the power ballad another 3+Cha modifier rounds.

Greater Power Ballad (Su): Just as Power Ballad, but +6 to Str and Con and +3 to will saves.

Power Metal (Su): A Metal bard with at least 18 ranks in perform (string instrument, sing or precussion instrument) can use a single use of his bardic music to knock his foes flat. All enemies within 60 ft. of the Metal bard must make a fortitude save opposed to the Metal bards perform check. If he fails he's knocked prone and stunned for as many rounds as the Metal bard plays and can't get up until they stop unless they make a will save (equal to the same perform check). A Metal bard can play for as many rounds as thier Cha modifier + 3.

Legendary Power Ballad (Su): Just as Power Ballad, but +8 to Str and Con and +4 to will saves.

Metalocalypse (Su): If a Metal bard has at least one use of his bardic music left for the day he can commit a Metalocalypse. This uses up all the remaining uses of bardic music for that day. Using this requires enemies within 60 ft. of the Metal bard to make a fortitude save equal to 10 + the metal bards ranks in perform (string, precussion or sing). On a failed save, all enemies in range die and explode in a 10 foot burst dealing 1d6 fire damage for every hitdice they had (Max 15d6). For every 3 uses of bardic music the Metal Bard has already used up for the day thier victems recieve a +1 to thier saving throw. If someone isn't killed by the Metalocalypse and are within blast radius of an exploded victem they can make a reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 exploded guy's HD + Metal bards Cha modifier).

martyboy74
2006-09-16, 08:01 AM
Fun! ;D

You may want to make the power of Metapocylpse vary, depending on the number of uses of bardic music a person has left for the day.

Pegasos989
2006-09-16, 08:43 AM
...DAMNIT! Just when I was starting to make a bard PrC for metal!

Now... I think that it is very balanced (you lose 2 spellcasting levels and 2 skillpoints per level and some bardic music abilities to gain D8, full BAB and other abilities). It might be a wee bit stronger than full bard (which many would think as a good thing) but not much.

Metalocalypse... Damn. Bard maxing his perform and cha will have at level 20 lets say +10 CHA modifier, 23 ranks, +2 circumstance bonus from masterwork instrument and say +10 enchantment bonus from magic item. His perform would 1d20+45 so average DC 55 save or explode... Maybe say DC is 10 + bard's ranks in perform

Halcyon_Dax
2006-09-16, 01:10 PM
Haha! Excellent!

This reminds me of one game, our bard played the guitar and had the spell. Power Chord: Kill

*Reaaaooooooooowwwww*

*head explodes*

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-16, 01:36 PM
Powermetallist was done awhile ago, but very nice.
...but can you use these levels to PrC to Dragon of the Force?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-16, 04:48 PM
Powermetallist was done awhile ago, but very nice.
...but can you use these levels to PrC to Dragon of the Force?
I don't know what that is

Halcyon_Dax
2006-09-17, 12:27 AM
The prerequisite feats?

What are those from?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-17, 12:44 AM
The prerequisite feats?

What are those from?

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Blasphemous_Utterance,Dragon

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Undertone_of_Heresy,Dragon

Thrune
2006-09-17, 11:20 AM
I'd say much too powerful.
Why? Metalocalypse. 60 foot burst, save-or-die, DC impossible. 1/day, true, but that just means he needs to do it last. It's just too insane for words. At 17th level, this guy can kill everything he's fighting. While the insanity depends on the game(I've seen anything from 1 fight between rests to 8-12 fights between rests) even with only the normal 4, a part of Metal Bards kills everything, instantly-and gets a D8 hit die, full base attack, proficiency with the best weapons, and some decent other abilities.

Just... no.

Last_resort_33
2006-09-17, 01:23 PM
Should not have the Hit die increase, decrease the BAB.

Metalocolypse could possibly force enemies in audable range to take Sonic damage equal to the bard's perform check. I think some bonuses are in order if you or an ally have performed any fire/lightning related spells (pyrotechinics) withing sight of the victims since your last turn. Also any sonic damage that has been delt since your last turn is added to this for purposes of the Massive Damage rule and damage reduction.

The Metal Bard should get to chose one of the weapon profs battleaxe, greataxe or greatsword, but be forced to forever bury the concept that they ever could use any wussy rapier, sap or shortsword, they retain the whip profiency and simple weapon proficiencies.

I'm assuming that by Dragon of the Force you are referring to a particular very fast widdily-widdily-guitar heavy band that sing in a high pitched voice and have a drummer that blurs with speed...

Also what's wrong with singing? Bruce Dickinson could knock someone out with his voice.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 01:35 PM
Should not have the Hit die increase, decrease the BAB.

Metalocolypse could possibly force enemies in audable range to take Sonic damage equal to the bard's perform check. I think some bonuses are in order if you or an ally have performed any fire/lightning related spells (pyrotechinics) withing sight of the victims since your last turn. Also any sonic damage that has been delt since your last turn is added to this for purposes of the Massive Damage rule and damage reduction.

The Metal Bard should get to chose one of the weapon profs battleaxe, greataxe or greatsword, but be forced to forever bury the concept that they ever could use any wussy rapier, sap or shortsword, they retain the whip profiency and simple weapon proficiencies.

I'm assuming that by Dragon of the Force you are referring to a particular very fast widdily-widdily-guitar heavy band that sing in a high pitched voice and have a drummer that blurs with speed...

Also what's wrong with singing? Bruce Dickinson could knock someone out with his voice.
Yes, but said band also has guitarists that can outplay the drums. And there was a prestige class I made that was probably the most overpowered thing in existence, which is what I was referring to.
I'm evil that way.

Last_resort_33
2006-09-17, 02:02 PM
Link to it, I wanna have a look ;D

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-17, 02:09 PM
Here you go!
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543004 17;start=17#17

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-17, 02:53 PM
I modded it slightly

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-10-13, 01:21 AM
I finally got around to it, I made Metalocalypse vary slightly depending on how many uses of bardic music the metal bard has left.

Fizban
2006-10-13, 03:15 AM
Metaocolypse is still way too good. Save against DC 13 plus your level? Ridiculous. I'd say DC at maybe 10 + 1/3 the number of bardic musics expended +cha mod. Should bring it down to little more than a pyrotechnic wail of the banshee once per day.