PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Spellscarred Signs

Burley
2009-01-22, 11:00 AM
When you take the Spellscarred multi-class feat (Forgotten Realms Player Guide), it allows you to get a small feature, like dark vision to one square or something similar. In an effort to allow my DM to allow this feat and the powers that follow, I'd like to present him with multiple alternatives to the added feature of the feat.

Anybody familiar with 4e could chime in and I appreciate any help.

Yakk
2009-01-22, 11:05 AM
I don't understand. The DM doesn't like the existing spellscarred features?

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-22, 11:10 AM
It sounds like Burley Warlock dosen't like them and wants more options, and thinks the homebrewers here can provide some that the DM will allow.

Burley
2009-01-22, 11:38 AM
Hit the nail on the head, Izmir.

Yakk, the ones in there are good, but with my current party composition, those abilities would be situational, at best. I'm just looking for a rough axis to base suggestions to my DM upon.

(He can't remember a single thing about the book unless he's looking at it, so, he doesn't know if he's allowing it or not.)

Meek
2009-01-22, 06:37 PM
Looking at the features, we have:

(Perpetual) Darkvision to 1 square
(Encounter) +1 to speed or +2 to charge/run speed as a minor action until the end of your next turn
(Daily) +1 to your reach for one attack you make

The daily power maybe you could work an alternative to.

The encounter power is weird, as +1 to speed is a really weak power as far as the 4e spectrum goes. Really, really weak. I don't know how you'd play around with that one to come up with a different effect.

The perpetual power is also difficult to mess around with because 1 square of Darkvision is so insanely minuscule.

Reluctance
2009-01-22, 10:44 PM
Probably the simplest solution is to remember that it's a multiclass feat. Into a versatile and odd class, but a multiclass nonetheless.

Look at the other multiclass feats for rough power equivalents, or if you're feeling lazy just rip another multiclass feat's ability straight and reflavor/tweak it slightly. Ranger and Paladin come most obviously to mind; it's not hard to think of fresh new flavor for "I do a bit more damage" or "I do something to harry and distract him".

Yakk
2009-01-24, 12:20 PM
So it is a multiclass feat power, which means it tends to be weaker than a "real" power you paid a real power slot for.

Look at the existing ones:

There are no at-will or always-on multiclass feat powers in the core rules.

The per-encounter powers are either taking an at-will power from another class and letting you use it per-encounter (which is an increase in flexibility, not power), or if it is a raw power increase (like the rogue damage, ranger damage, or fighter weapon talent/marking, or the paladin marking) it is a power that the original class could do 'free of charge' once per round (or burn a minor action on), and making it a one-round only effect on a per-encounter basis.

At 8 rounds per combat, that is at least an 8 fold decrease in the strength of the ability.

The healing daily powers are quite honestly the most powerful multiclass abilities. Basing your balance of a suggested power off of these is stretching it. They grant a power that can be used 2 per encounter as a minor action (~8 times per day) as a power that can be used once per day.

Now, back up to the existing spellscarred powers. The reach one has no cost -- it is a pure bonus. You could see having a class with a 2/encounter ability to increase it's reach by 1 square would kick ass.

The per encounter power is similar. A class that granted +1 move and +2 charge/run as an always-on ability would be a quite nice class feature.

The always-on power is weak, as it should be. This is only a feat.

You shouldn't be expecting a lot of power from this feat.