PDA

View Full Version : So what is night?

dr pepper
2009-01-23, 02:30 AM
Side1,Side2,...,Night,Side1, Etc.

So as far as we can tell, there is no fighting or movement at night. And yet the characters experience it, they sleep, have sex, sing, hold elaborate S&M sessions. It can't just be sleep because we know people can do without it. The only thing that seems to mess with the refresh cycle is battle related communicatons or research, and even that they can fudge a little.

But in game terms there seems no point. Healing and cleaning take an instant. Eating seems to be more an indulgence than anything. You don't need night for that, the refreshment instant is enough to let everyone know they're back to the top of the turn sequence.

Personally i think it would be cool to have Ansom get a Shakespeare type dream visitation.

Ansom: Oh, can this be my lately lost and sorely lamented Captains?

Webinar: Can this be my recently quitted and foolishly proud Liege?

Dora: Was our ill-use at the hands of the Hamster that glory which you sought?

Ansom: Believe me, my friends, i would gladly have taken your place if i could!

Webinar: Aye, and very nearly did, too!

Dora: Instead you signed away--

Ansom: Nothing of greater value than the cause!

Webinar: That remains to be seen.

(Their forms begin to glow brighter until they are painful to look at.)

Webinar: It seems that the Titans have found us worthy, perhaps you too will be worthy.

Dora: But only if you are not distracted by petty pursuits.

Ansom: I only act as my honor leads me!

Webinar: Many have heard the voice of appetite and swore it was honor. Yet still we forgive you for the sake of your good heart in the past. Now we go to join our brothers and sisters.

Dora: Good night, sweet Prince!

But other than that, i don't see any reason for night.

Thoughts?

Kyouhen
2009-01-23, 02:56 AM
That's a good question, though I'd be interested in knowing what defines the length of a night. After all, a day lasts as long as the combined length of time each side spends on their turn, so what determines the length of the night?

quindraco
2009-01-23, 03:37 AM
That's a good question, though I'd be interested in knowing what defines the length of a night. After all, a day lasts as long as the combined length of time each side spends on their turn, so what determines the length of the night?

As we know based on a forum post I haven't the energy to find right now but I will if it becomes important, there is a "natural turn order". Everyone gets a turn in some predetermined order.

I am extremely skeptical that every force on Erfworld is involved in the current conflict.

I am, however, more than happy to assume Erf is flat, like most gameboards.

So, I've been assuming night is when the other side of the board takes their turns.

Godskook
2009-01-23, 06:10 AM
It can't just be sleep because we know people can do without it.

Maggie said that in the same kind of context as I would when I prepare to pull an all-nighter for the final at college. Given that, I'd say that no, erfworlders can't do without sleep, indefinately. They can just forgo it for a couple nights if need be, just like we can.