PDA

View Full Version : College?!

Dragonrider
2009-01-24, 03:35 PM
I do not normally post threads dedicated to myself, but I just want to make an announcement because I'm ecstatic, because I've been gone due to busy-ness, and because I love you guys:

I'M IN TO COLLEGE! :smallbiggrin:

American college. University. Whatever. My first choice! And I'm in! I'm so happy!

Sneak
2009-01-24, 04:06 PM
Awesome! Congrats! :smallbiggrin:

Mind telling us which one?

P.S. I'm jealous of you're second semester senior-ness. :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-24, 04:11 PM
American University? I know someone that goes there! :smallsmile: Congratulations!

Sneak
2009-01-24, 04:13 PM
Wait, are you saying you're going to AU or just specifying that you're going to American college, which is often called university in other countries?

*is confused*

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-24, 04:15 PM
Grongrats, Drider! Learn lots and have lots of fun there!

SMEE
2009-01-24, 04:16 PM
Congratulations DR. It's a great achievement. :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2009-01-24, 04:17 PM
I do not normally post threads dedicated to myself, but I just want to make an announcement because I'm ecstatic, because I've been gone due to busy-ness, and because I love you guys:

I'M IN TO COLLEGE! :smallbiggrin:

American college. University. Whatever. My first choice! And I'm in! I'm so happy!
YAY!

I got into my first college (Knox!) About a month ago, and it feels great dosn't it. I was going to apply to American, but I decided to stick to small schools.

Em Blackleaf
2009-01-24, 04:20 PM
Congratulations! Which college?

Psh, I'm still just a freshman and already thinking about college. :smalltongue:

Also, Sneak and DD, I have been getting you guys mixed up all day... >_>

TRM
2009-01-24, 04:31 PM
American University (http://www.american.edu/index1.html)?

Congratulations DR! College = great and I hope you have a great time learning there.

Pyrian
2009-01-24, 04:52 PM
Congratulations and good luck! :smallcool:

Coidzor
2009-01-24, 04:58 PM
Now to master the art of sleeping with the television and lights on. :smalltongue:

You stocking up on Ramen yet? Might wanna learn how to make it with Peanutbutter so that you like it as a more... nutritious variant on the usual ramen meal.

Thiel
2009-01-24, 05:20 PM
That's seven kinds of awesome!
And I should know seeing how I just started a Uni level education as well. (The Danish educational system is a true nightmare once you get beyond high-school)

Dragonrider
2009-01-24, 05:38 PM
No, not American University...I was attempting to be clear for those not from the U.S. :smalltongue: Apparently I achieved the opposite effect.

I'm going to Whitman College.

And thanks everybody! :smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2009-01-24, 05:46 PM
No, not American University...I was attempting to be clear for those not from the U.S. :smalltongue: Apparently I achieved the opposite effect.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just felt like I was being stupid, because I do that so very often and everyone else seemed to assume that you were going to AU. Which would've been ok with me, actually. More playgrounders in the MD/DC area would be nice.

Anyway, congrats again! :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2009-01-24, 05:46 PM
So, wait, you're now going to a university in Walla Walla, and I'm going to one in Wagga Wagga? :smallconfused:

P.S. Congratulations!

Alleine
2009-01-24, 05:47 PM
Don't do it! It's a trap. They tie you up and shove things into your brain!
Its a horrible torture, I think they call it learning.
:smallbiggrin:

Let's all hope you do better than I am!That shouldn't be hard at all...

potatocubed
2009-01-24, 06:16 PM
You stocking up on Ramen yet? Might wanna learn how to make it with Peanutbutter so that you like it as a more... nutritious variant on the usual ramen meal.

Miso paste. Add hot water for a nutritious soup. Add noodles for carbohydrates and noodly goodness.

Coidzor
2009-01-24, 06:35 PM
Miso paste. Add hot water for a nutritious soup. Add noodles for carbohydrates and noodly goodness.

Oh yeah... You can get that sort of thing in coastal areas, can't you? :smallfrown:

TRM
2009-01-24, 06:37 PM

Those two colleges appear very different. And somehow I'm not surprised that you're going to the latter.

It looks like a good school—and it's a liberal arts school so even better.

Do you have an eating hall?

Dragonrider
2009-01-24, 06:41 PM
Walla Walla and Wagga Wagga?

Pacific Northwest USA and Australia have awesome place names.

Edit: Rogue Monk: Yep, meals in almost every residence hall. I'm going to get a full meal plan, I think.

potatocubed
2009-01-24, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah... You can get that sort of thing in coastal areas, can't you? :smallfrown:

You should be able to get it inland too. I get my miso stuff from japancentre.com (http://www.japancentre.com/). Although that's a UK site I'd bet real cash money that there's at least one US equivalent.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-01-24, 06:47 PM
YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN!
TOLD YOU SO!
*BOOGIES!*

So, what're you *thinks hard about American college terminology* majoring in? Anthropology? Linguistics? English? History? A combination of?

American colleges are confusing.

Dragonrider
2009-01-24, 06:57 PM
History! Maybe a minor in anthropology! and fun in linguistics! or something! :smallwink:

Also: I'm lovin' your new avatar.

THAC0
2009-01-25, 01:27 AM
I find it surprisingly difficult to get miso in my coastal location.

'Grats on college. I miss it a lot sometimes.

Felixaar
2009-01-25, 03:53 AM
Once again my congratulations, Brownie-Cake - a very well deserved acheivement :smallsmile:

Heh. Whitman in Walla Walla, Washington.

Say that wive wimes wast.

What?

Seriously though, Way (<THERE IT IS AGAIN! THAT LETTER!) to go. You're awesome :smallbiggrin:

So, wait, you're now going to a university in Walla Walla, and I'm going to one in Wagga Wagga? :smallconfused:

P.S. Congratulations!

Theres a Uni there? I thought it was mainly the military base. But then, It's been a while... :smallredface:

Coidzor
2009-01-25, 03:56 AM
But what'cha gonna do with ye History con Anthropologia?

Or rather, what's the plan? Or is the plan to get a plan?

V: Oh sneak.... Always trying to charm the ladies into giving you a kiss...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-25, 04:31 AM
Congratulations! Which college?

Psh, I'm still just a freshman and already thinking about college. :smalltongue:

Also, Sneak and DD, I have been getting you guys mixed up all day... >_>

:smallamused:

Maybe we'l decide to change back, if you would post more often.:smallwink:

Assassin89
2009-01-25, 09:04 AM
I go to college in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I am a Software Engineer.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-01-25, 05:44 PM
YAY!

I got into my first college (Knox!) About a month ago, and it feels great dosn't it. I was going to apply to American, but I decided to stick to small schools.

A fairly old friend, although we don't get on as well as we used to, goes there. I believe he's a freshman this year. Peter Thomas, if you ever run into him, probably majouring in Creative Writing or something else questionably bohemian.

(Although, from your name, I would've guessed Reed.)

Congratulations to everyone involved in the process of getting in. I remember my elation and hope yours is similar.

Felixaar
2009-01-25, 05:53 PM
:smallbiggrin:

My goodness! No!

blackfox
2009-01-25, 06:21 PM

P.S. Congratulations!Win. +3 awesome points.

Congrats DRider! I know someone who goes to Whitman; if you meet a girl named Karen Gastineau, let me know. I also got into my first choice college (Cornell) in December, so I will add my excitedness to the Playground excitedness collective. :smalltongue:

UncleWolf
2009-01-25, 08:03 PM
Congratz!
:biggrin:

Welcome to the club.
We have jackets. (http://images.onlinecommercegroup.com/images/medium/leather-jacket-sample.jpg)

Too bad you didn't choose UCM (University of Central Missouri). I think I may be the only playgrounder here (Forum goer anyways, plenty of people read the comic).

Flame of Anor
2009-01-25, 08:16 PM
:smallbiggrin:[/COLOR]

In Calvin and Hobbes, the Zorbonians try to sacrifice Spaceman Spiff to the dread god "Nollij".

Dragonrider
2009-01-25, 08:28 PM
Ha. There are SO many schools out there. I also applied to Mount Holyoke in Massachusetts, but I've already decided on Whitman. I likey it.

TRM
2009-01-25, 10:24 PM
Ha. There are SO many schools out there. I also applied to Mount Holyoke in Massachusetts, but I've already decided on Whitman. I likey it.
One of my American friends applied there this year; I think she's ended up going somewhere else though. (I am insightful today.)

One tip, you should be prepared to work hard if you want to do well. Very hard (though I guess it depends on your major).

RTGoodman
2009-01-25, 11:04 PM
Hey, congrats! As much as I thought I didn't like college while I was there (or, at least, the social aspect, because I LOVE the academic part), I sorely miss it now that I'm not there.

I should be going in the Fall, though, assuming my graduate school applications made me look like an attractive enough candidate for SOME school to pick me. As of now I just have to sit back and wait, though - Harvard won't get back to me until sometime in March or later, and the others (Boston College, Western Michigan, UNC) probably won't before then either. :smallsigh:

EDIT: Also,

History! Maybe a minor in anthropology! and fun in linguistics! or something! :smallwink:

Yay! Welcome to our history major ranks! My BA is in History (minor is Medieva & Renaissance Studies)!

wadledo
2009-01-25, 11:07 PM
Wow, and I haven't even sent out my applications yet.
*Is amazingly lazy*

Dragonrider
2009-01-26, 10:53 AM
One tip, you should be prepared to work hard if you want to do well. Very hard (though I guess it depends on your major).

Indeed. Of this I know. :smallamused:

Canadian
2009-01-26, 12:43 PM
The best college is KFC's college of chicken knowledge. My fall back is McDonald's hamburger u.

Rawhide
2009-01-26, 03:45 PM
The best college is KFC's college of chicken knowledge. My fall back is McDonald's hamburger u.

Don't laugh, it exists (http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/career/hamburger_university/our_college_degree.html). They are also offering qualifications in the UK.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-26, 03:46 PM
Congratulations Dragonrider, good luck. :smallsmile:

snoopy13a
2009-01-26, 04:56 PM

It totally depends on the major. For example, most people need to study hard just to pass science, math, and engineering course (there are a handful of those who are so bright that they can coast). Some majors, like computer science, are very difficult and even people who work hard may have to change to an easier one.

Other majors, usually the liberal arts ones, allow one to get by with a what they used to call a "gentleman's C"* if you do the bare minimal amount of work. One still should work hard in these majors so they can get a good GPA that'll help in their job search if they want to apply to graduate school.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-01-26, 05:19 PM
I found that's a rather baseless stereotype; I dropped a computer science course on account of its almost disturbing ease. The simple matter is, in all the "hard" majours you listed, one can be wrong. In fact, generally, one can only be correct with a few answers. A little memorization and basic understanding of the material and one is really very rarely wrong. If one can pass without much effort, one can excel with a minutely larger amount. It is those who simply "cannot do math" (most of whom simply do not bother, as making excuses became the national passtime of every country I've ever been to* some time long before I was born) The liberal-arts type majours tend to have the more troublesome aspect of nobody being right or wrong. Meaning that such classes are based in how well one defends one's argument. Now, internets aside, it is very hard to actually fail, at making an argument. Generally, if one with enough reasoning abilities and common literacy to make it into college is forming an argument, it is likely to be at least passable. A claim one could reasonably come to, one could reasonably defend. However, it isn't particularly likely to be excellent; that takes more that logic and literacy, requiring elegant phrasing, appropriately placed referalls to the text, a thesis that is original without being mindlessly contrary. Merely convincing someone is a "Cad's B", at best; one should strive to empassion the reader about the ideas.

In short, I guarantee that my roommate's midterm paper on The Naked Lunch was far more of an achievement than the midterm for my CS class.

Headless_Ninja
2009-01-27, 04:14 PM
Congratulations! Work hard, good luck, and all the other things everyone's said before me.