Hat of Disguise, Changeling
Price(Item level): 2,650 gp (7th)
Body Slot: Head
Caster level: 1
Aura: faint Illusion, faint Universal under True Seeing
Activation: --; see text
Weight: --

A perfectly normal hat.

To an identify spell or any other method of magic item identification short of analyze dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzeDweomer.htm) or successfully using it, this appears to be a hat of disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#hatofDisguise) which has had it's command word obscured by some method. A wearer with the Change Shape or Minor Change Shape ability can change the shape of their clothing or armor as part of this ability. All magical items worn(including this one) retain their body slot and properties, and the wearer may not add or remove other special properties from clothing(such as being glamerweave or having a hidden pocket). Additionally, it gives such a wearer a +5 competence bonus to Disguise checks.
Prerequisites: Craft Wonderous Item, Nystul's magic aura, prestidigitation, Change Shape or Minor Change Shape ability
Cost to create: 1,325 gp, 106 XP, 2 days
I made a few items with a similar concept about a year and a half ago, but like all of my early work they were needlessly complicated. Besides, using the thread I made for them would be a truly horrific act of thread necromancy. Like everyone who posts things here, I welcome suggestions and comments.

DracoDei
2009-01-27, 06:14 AM
So... it is cheaper, but only works for some creatures(and is limited by their abilities) and provides a smaller bonus to the disguise checks? In fact I think both of those creatures can change the appearance of their equipment with them can't they? So it just gives them the +5 bonus and is hard to tell from another item?

Winged One
2009-01-27, 06:45 AM
So... it is cheaper, but only works for some creatures(and is limited by their abilities) and provides a smaller bonus to the disguise checks? In fact I think both of those creatures can change the appearance of their equipment with them can't they? So it just gives them the +5 bonus and is hard to tell from another item?

Hm...it seems I should have explained my intent. It allows creatures such as changelings and dopplegangers, which almost always impersonate regular humanoids, to explain away their natural shapechanging abilities by claiming that they result from a magical item(they can do this anyway, but someone who knows how a hat of disguise actually works will easily see through the lie). It lets them change their equipment(which they can't normally do, by the way, unless the DM houserules otherwise) because actual hats of disguise let the users change the appearance of their equipment as well as their own. The +5 is there because it seemed appropriate.