PDA

View Full Version : I need to make a decision fast

Berserk Monk
2009-01-29, 01:15 AM
So here's the situation: I took an elective this semester that I'm having doubts about. The class is Painting II. I didn't want to take it originally. I wanted to take an illustration elective, but they were all on Thursday which conflicted with my drawing class. I could have taken another drawing class, but my teacher for that is really awesome. So, not being able to take an illustration elective I was left with few options: Painting II, two other studio classes, or a liberal arts class. Painting seemed like the best option. I'm not very good at painting, but I like the medium. I'd figure I get better at it, because, although I don't intend to be a painter, I do want to continue doing it in my free time.

Now after having two classes, I'm having some doubts. I'm not too fond of the teacher. She's kind of condescending and too strict for my liking. The work load already seems too stressful. I fear I'll have to spend far more time working on one piece due to my lack of experience with the medium. I'm not very good at painting (speaking from a profession level), and I think that's going to harm my grade. Just today, my teacher mentioned taking points off one of my assignments because I gessoed it wrong. I fear stupid minor stuff like that will cause me to fail the class. However, one of the biggest issues is the cost of materials. For those of you who have never taken an art class, one paint tube can run as much as $4. One small thing of paint, and I have to have all the major colors. Not to mention a larger pallet, pallet knife, other equipment I'll probably need I can't think of right now, and more paint for when I run out. There's also the fact I took this elective because I thought it would be fun, but I'm not really enjoying it.

As for the reasons not to drop it: as much as I don't like the teacher, she is resourceful and has taught me some things already. I do like to paint, and I want to get better. I also don't like quitting something just because of trivial reasons. One of my beliefs is "Just suck it up." I also am not looking forward to the inevitable conversation I'd have to have with my mom about me transferring out of it. For some reason, I'd think she'd be either disappointed or angry, and (speaking as a good son) she's done so much in terms of supporting me and my arts. I don't want to upset her. Besides, it's just one semester.

So there's here's the basic question: should I transfer into a liberal arts class (I don't know right now which one's I could take) or should I just stick with the class? I really need to decide quickly before it's too late to transfer.

thubby
2009-01-29, 01:33 AM
by too late i assume you mean for a refund?
if you don't need the course/credits/w/e, i would drop it and save the money and aggravation.
if you need some credits/some course, i would stick with it,

if you are just taking it as basket weaving and can't get the money back, stick around, failure doesn't mean you didn't learn something.

skywalker
2009-01-29, 03:40 AM
Failure hurts the GPA, which I'm assuming is a concern here.

Did you take painting I?

I personally say drop the course, save the money and come back when you can devote more time to learning something rather difficult.

Sounds like a large investment of time and money for the chance to learn a hobby. Take it during the summer, or some time when the large workload won't bother you as much.

toasty
2009-01-29, 03:48 AM
Failure hurts the GPA, which I'm assuming is a concern here.

Did you take painting I?

I personally say drop the course, save the money and come back when you can devote more time to learning something rather difficult.

Sounds like a large investment of time and money for the chance to learn a hobby. Take it during the summer, or some time when the large workload won't bother you as much.

I agree with this person. :)

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-01-29, 12:58 PM
I would drop the class because you'll probably have to spend a disproportionate amount of time, money, and energy on it, when you would rather allocate those assets to other things, like classes you really enjoy.

You could always take Painting in the summer if you want, when you can focus your attention on it better without your other classes suffering.

Canadian
2009-01-29, 01:13 PM
Drop the course. You can learn painting later form somebody who's not an jerk.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-29, 01:24 PM
I would drop any potentially GPA-hurting class that you don't need or don't really want.

snoopy13a
2009-01-29, 02:02 PM
Either drop it or see if you can take it pass/fail.

RS14
2009-01-29, 03:22 PM
One question: What's your (expected) major? Judging by the alternatives you suggest, I'm guessing something in the arts. In that case, Painting could be a useful skill to have, even if it's not exactly what you expect to need. Particularly if, as you say, she's already taught you some useful things.

You're not going to need more than what, 20 tubes of paint? (I'm not an artist, I wouldn't know). Most of my classes require $50-$100 worth of books, so it still doesn't seem too unfavorable compared to them. I guess compared to other electives...

"Just sucking it up" really sucks. Only do it if necessary. By that I mean, if it's not relevant to what you want to do, drop it. I wish I could do that for about half my classes.

There are two people you should probably speak to first: your advisor, and your professor. Particularly if you're worried about grades, ask her if she thinks your lack of technical skill will be enough to cause you to fail. If she gets mad or anything about the fact that you're considering transferring, well that's a really good reason to get out.

Are you on a scholarship which requires you to maintain a certain GPA? That's also a good reason to switch this for something easier.

Basically, if you want to be an artist, I think it's probably a good class to take. Maybe not this year---take it when you've got a lighter load and someone else teaches. If not, I'd probably choose to drop it. I hope this helps.

Felixaar
2009-01-29, 07:00 PM
Hmmm. I'd say keep at it and improve - I mean, if you learn it well it probably wont affect things in the end. But then, I can't speak from the whole College Student GPA perspective, but I do think it's worth trying to make this weakness a strength?

Talwar
2009-01-29, 09:35 PM
While your concern for your mother speaks well for you, it should not affect your decision. This is your future at stake, not hers. You need to do what is right for you. Without knowing the relationship at all, consider the possibility that your mother might also support a reasoned decision to drop the class.

If this class is not essential to your academic program, and doesn't serve as a pre-requisite to other necessary classes, I would lean towards dropping it. You might well be able to practice or take recreational courses in your spare time and take the class with a different teacher at a future time, armed with more confidence in your abilities.

As to transferring to another class - I'd recommend trying to have a quick chat with the prospective teacher. Determine whether it is practical to pick up the class late and catch up - and, at the same time, get a first impression of the teacher.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-29, 10:23 PM
As an artsy type myself, my advice would be to drop the class, and find another, very easy class in an entirely different sphere of art, like a composition class or a film class. It's fun, educational, easy, and you learn a lot than you can apply to your main field.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-30, 12:43 AM
Is GPA a concern for a reason other than wanting to have a good GPA?

If it isn't and you just want good grades for the sake of getting good grades, might as well stick around in the course. Learning new stuff is what you're going to college for, after all...

If GPA is a major concern, Rate My Professors.com (ratemyprofessors.com) is an awesome resource and you can screen out any teachers you potentially wouldn't want.