PDA

View Full Version : Keeper of the Word [PrC]

The Demented One
2009-01-30, 09:28 PM
Keeper of the Word

http://wizards.com/leaving.asp?url=/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75044.jpg&origin=dnd_4art_20031031a

The most powerful of mages swear by power words, spells that invoke ancient and puissant truenames to shape the world. Any wizard, even those ignorant of the esoteric lexicons of truespeach, can speak a power word, but those well-versed in truename lore can make an art of them. These self-styled Keepers of the Word, be they scholarly archmages or power-mad sorcerer kings, have found unrivaled power. Some legends even claim they know the truename of magic itself, and can use it to bind the full potence of any spell up within a power word.

Hit Dice
d4

Requirements
To qualify to become a Keeper of the Word, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Spellcraft 15 ranks, Truespeak 10 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast power word blind, power word kill, or power word stun.

Class Skills
The Keeper of the Word's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All) (Int), Perform (Oratory) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Truespeak (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points per Level
4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Magic of the Word, Master Truenamer|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Power Word Mastery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Word of True Power|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Words Unspoken|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Litany of Magic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Name of Deep Magics|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Keeper of the Word prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Keeper of the Word level, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in an arcane or divine spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Magic of the Word (Su)
At 1st level, your training allows you to master spells that incorporate truenames. If you are capable of casting a power word spell as an arcane spell, then you gain one additional spell slot of each level (except 0th) each day. However, these spell slots may only be used to prepare or cast power word spells and spells that have a truename component.

Master Truenamer (Ex)
You gain an enhancement bonus on all Truespeak checks equal to half your caster level, to a maximum of +10.

Power Word Mastery (Ex)
At 2nd level, your knowledge of truenaming lore allows you to more easily modify your power word spells, using mystical truenames to shape them. Whenever you apply a metamagic feat to a power word spell, the increase in the spell's effective level is reduced by one, to a minimum of +1. In addition, if you cast spells spontaneously, then applying a metamagic feat to a power word spell does not increase its casting time.

Word of True Power (Su)
At 3rd level, you bolster your words of magic with truespeach. Whenever you cast a power word spell, you may also make a Truespeak check. If you do, then the maximum hp of the target that can be affected is increased by an amount based on the result of the check, and you gain a bonus on any caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance, as below

{table=head]Truespeak|Max HP|Caster Level
0-20|+5|+0
21-30|+10|+1
31-40|+25|+2
41-50|+50|+3
51-60|+75|+4
61+|+100|+5
[/table]

Words Unspoken (Sp)
At 4th level, no spell has power to keep your words from being heard. You are constantly surrounded by an emanation that functions as the antimagic field spell, with caster level equal to your own. However, the antimagic field only negates magic that creates an area of magical silence, such as silence.

Litany of Magic (Su)
At 5th level, you can channel a power word to strike multiple foes. Whenever you affect a foe with a power word spell, you may invoke a litany of magic as a swift action if that creature’s hp is at least 50 less than the maximum hp the spell can affect. If you do, you may affect another creature within range with the same power word spell as a spell-like ability, with caster level equal to your own. However, the maximum hp that can be affected by the spell is halved. Power word spell cast as part of a litany magic do not gain the benefit of your word of true power class feature.

Name of Deep Magics (Su)
At 6th level, you master the name of deep magics, the true name of all power words. This allows you access to a metamagic-like ability, which lets you prepare or cast spells as power word spells. Only spells that have a single target, have a range of close, medium, or long, and allow a saving throw for reduced or negated effect can be cast as power word spells. A power word spell no longer allows a saving throw, but it can only affect creatures of a certain hp total or less, based on the spell’s level, as below (increases to the spell’s level from metamagic feats do count towards determining the maximum hp).

{table=head]Spell Level|Max HP
1st|400
2nd|300
3rd|300
4th|250
5th|250
6th|200
7th|200
8th|150
9th|100[/table]

Spells modified by this ability are treated as power word spells for all your class features, and any other similar abilities. This ability is treated just as a normal metamagic feat for any abilities that affect them. A power word spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-30, 10:44 PM
Pretty awesome idea, and I like the execution. Well done! :smallbiggrin:

MammonAzrael
2009-01-30, 10:55 PM
Very cool, as usual. I'd love to give this guy a whirl if I had the chance. There are probably some spells that would be busted becoming Power Word spells, but that doesn't matter with this awesome.

I'd love to see what a Dracolexi/Keeper of the Word dragon could do. :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2009-01-31, 09:03 AM
Very cool, as usual. I'd love to give this guy a whirl if I had the chance. There are probably some spells that would be busted becoming Power Word spells, but that doesn't matter with this awesome.

Yeah, I was kinda worrying about that. I figured that the restrictions on targets and range would cut down on the range of spells you could power spell, and I think the hp limits work out neatly, what with the +2 adjustment.