PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Races [IDEA]

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-02, 01:51 PM
Ok, no one likes LA.

So, I was thinking, what if there were races that were +0 LA and were slightly poor initially, or lacking racial bonuses or abilities. But they 'regained' certain racials as the character leveled up?

For instance:

In an upcoming campaign we have a succubus that was stripped of her power completely, then memory wiped and sold as a sex slave. Soon she is resqued by some adventurers, etc etc, fun begins.

In the begining I figure maybe just:

+2 Cha -2 Wis

at 5th level gain darkvision = character level x 4 (max 80ft at lvl 20)

at 10th level gain a +6 bonus on charisma based checks made to influence males.

at 15th level she could gain flight 20ft (clumsy)

at 20th level flight improves to 50ft (average) and she gains DR 5/cold iron.

Well I'm just throwing those ideas out there, Im sure there is more balancing to be done. But the main gist of this post is wondering about the posibility of races that gain abilities over the course of their levels.

Thoughts?

Shazzbaa
2006-10-02, 02:23 PM
But would the races have to be stripped of power and memory wiped? As a general template, that would start to feel very... contrived to me.

Though, I guess you couldn't really make a general template since you'd need to make a new list of ability gain per level for each creature you did this with.

But the fluff still bothers me. :-/

DEMONhunter
2006-10-02, 02:37 PM
And lo, there was much linking.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Read this. It doesn't have la 0 succubi in it, but it has some other races.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-10-02, 08:07 PM
That is incredibly sweet.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-10-02, 09:32 PM
But would the races have to be stripped of power and memory wiped? As a general template, that would start to feel very... contrived to me.

Though, I guess you couldn't really make a general template since you'd need to make a new list of ability gain per level for each creature you did this with.

But the fluff still bothers me. :-/

maybe some kind of immortal spectery wraithy guys go around draining creatures of power/memory and they are forced to reattain their puissance through adventuring... maybe a tool of the gods that was created to keep anyone from rivalling them....... maybe it's powers would be useless against those with divine ranks.....

Shazzbaa
2006-10-03, 01:22 AM
And lo, there was much linking.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Read this. It doesn't have la 0 succubi in it, but it has some other races.
Oh, this looks interesting. But I'm not fully understanding. So, if I wanted to play a 0 LA Aasimar, I start with the +2 Charisma, the Outsider Type, the "light" spell 1xday for free, Darkvision, Resistance 2/cold, /acid, and /electricity, and a bonus on Listen and Spot? (Is there any disadvantage here?)
I don't understand when I get the rest of my stuff (+2 Wis, "Daylight" spell, full resistance). Apparently at level one? Is your first level some sort of class-less Aasimar level, or what?

*confuzzled*

Behold_the_Void
2006-10-03, 02:44 AM
You take racial levels as opposed to a level in a class if you wish to gain the other benefits.

Shazzbaa
2006-10-03, 10:28 AM
So I can get all that extra stuff for free, with no LA of any kind? I don't even have to sacrifice a level if I don't want to? I guess none of those things are really huge on their own, but still...

Caelestion
2006-10-03, 12:17 PM
The aasimar etc still has a +1 LA, even using those rules. They simply indicate what makes the aasimar +1 so that you can start a campaign at 1st-level and take that "level" when you reach 2nd-level, when you'll still 1st-level to a +0 LA creature's 2nd-level.

DEMONhunter
2006-10-03, 12:56 PM
Basicly, but taking the racial level isn't mandatory. You could choose to take a class level instead, at which point it would be like playing a weakened version of te race, albeit without LA.