PDA

View Full Version : Garet Overbough [Elemental War]

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-17, 05:37 PM
Garet Overbough
Chaotic Neutral male Halfling
Small Elemental (Air, Augmented Halfling)
Rogue 6th/Elemental Infiltrator (Air) 10th
HD: 16d6+48 (120)
Hp: 157
Initiative: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft., Fly 100 ft. (Perfect)
Armor Class: 26 (+1 size, +6 Dex, +4 chain, +6 Bracers)
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+8
Attack: +6 keen bane shocking burst speed adamantine dagger +24 melee OR +8 bane distance shocking burst mighty composite shortbow +26 ranged
Full Attack: dagger +24/+24/+19 melee OR composite shorbow +26/+21 ranged
Damage: Dagger 1d3+1d6 electricity+2d6 Bane (outsiders, earth only) OR composite shortbow 1d6+1d6 electricity+2d6 Bane (outsiders, earth only)
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Elemental Escape, Whirlwind, Air Mastery, Slam +17 melee, Sneak Attack +8d6
Special Qualities: Elemental Perfection, Find Flaw
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +19, Will +9
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 21, Wis 9, Cha 16
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse
Skills: Appraise +19, Balance +9, Bluff +19, Climb +2, Decipher Script +11, Diplomacy +12, Disable Device +14, Escape Artist +21, Forgery +9, Gather Information +7, Hide +30, Intimidate +7, Jump +26, Knowledge (The Planes) +18, Listen + 20, Move Silently +13, Open Lock +14, Speak Language (Auran), Speak Language (Terran), Search +21, Sense Motive +12, Spot +18, Tumble +23, Use Magic Device +10, Use Rope 23
Languages: Common, Halfling, Elven, Gnome, Orc, Auran, Terran
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day: fog cloud
Potions: Cure serious wounds x3, Greater Invisibility x2

Equipment: +6 keen bane shocking burst speed adamantine dagger, +8 bane distance shocking burst mighty composite shortbow, +2 slick glamered improved shadow mithral shirt; effecient quiver with 5 slaying arrows (outsider, earth), 5 +1 wounding arrows, 10 +2 silver arrows, 10 +2 cold iron arrows, 10 +2 adamantine arrows, 10 arrows tipped with giant wasp poison; 10 brilliant energy arrows, and 10 masterwork arrows as well as well as a masterwork quarterstaff, and a +6 adamantine rapier of wounding; Boots of striding and springing, gloves of Dexterity +2, 5 throwing daggers, Censer of Controlling Air Elementals, small Bag of Holding, Bracers of Armor +6, Headband of Intellect +4, Golembane Scarab, Cloak of Etherealness

Garet began life as a simple member of the Underbough halfling clan, doing everything that the average halfling does: climb trees, throw rocks, etc. However, he soon found that whereas his family and friends were perfectly content on the ground, below ground and within forests, Garet's eyes were turned upwards. He climbed the highest trees he could find for the sole reason of being as high as he possiby could, so that maybe he could someday reach the sky itself. On one such occasion, Garet thought that he saw a bit of cloud pass a mere ten feet above the tree he was residing in. As he reached out to it, the cloud seemed to shift direction towards him, and began to convulse, twisting faster and faster until it became a rapid whirlwind that engulfed him. Garet expected for this to harm him, but somehow that tornado carried him higher into the air, until he could see hundreds of miles below him, all the time carried aloft by this strange wind. From the wisp of cloud he heard a strange voice, soft and yet penetrating as stiff winter breeze speak in a language that he could not understand, at which time the whirlwind turned Garet to face northeast, so that he saw a large city on the horizon. The cloud deposited him softly on the tree where it found him, and left him wondering if it had all been a dream.
Nevertheless, Garet quickly made a pack of provisions and with little explanation to his family set off on the path northeast a few days later, to the city he had seen on that dream-like afternoon. The city was the stereotypical thriving metropolis, with a great, shining, prosperous side and a slightly-below-average-size shadowy side to it. Garet found that he had a knack for survival in such an environment and drew the attention of a midd-ranked member of the local Thieves' Guild, who found a certain potential in the adolescent halfling. While Garet was not a particularly sinister person, he knew how to get jobs done and well, and rose the few ranks that such a member could without resulting to blackmail or assassination. One day about eight months after joining the guild, though, when he was feeling insightful, he related the story of when he met that strange cloud to the rare trustworthy friend he had made in the guild, which looked at him strangely and said that he would need to speak to an associate of his. A few days later, that friend introduced Garet to Ielenivia Galanodel, a beautiful elven wizardess whom had had a similar experience in her adolescence, fifty years hence. She told Garet that he had been visited by an air elemental, and that he had been marked as one who could help the element of air to gain better influence in the material plane, and offered to help train him in the use and application of the element, so that he may control it to the extent that he could even fly. Garet enthusiastically accepted this proposal.
Ielenivia had apparently spent the past fifty years in the construction of a castle on the elemental plane of air, and upon transporting the two of them to this castle began Garet's training, as well as the construction of an army of constructs and golems to aid them in the war against the element of earth.

*whew* That took a while. Can someone tell me if all the mechanics are right, and how to set up a challenge rating for this guy? The over-poweredness of the equipment was delibirate, as his new elven companion has a seemingly endless supply of resources thanks to her soon-to-be-statted force of miners assigned to the plane of earth. Ielenivia to be statted soon, as well as the rest of the living residents of her castle.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-17, 08:54 PM
"Air" is a subtype in and of itself, so unless there is a special reason to include the Elemental part...

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-17, 10:11 PM
I tried setting up a hyperlink, but apparently the trasfer from Word didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Elemental is Garet's type, Air is his subtype, that's part of the benefits from elemental perfection. Elemental Infiltrator, by the way, is one of Rich's prestige classes, viewable in the Gaming section of this site, placed conveniently to the left of this thread.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-18, 12:26 AM
Oh, then it should be "Small Elemental (Air, Halfling)".

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-18, 05:30 PM
Would the infiltrator still retain its halfling subtype? It would make sense, as I doubt it loses the Dex bonus and skill bonuses from being a halfling, so I'll change it.

Edit: Wait! Halfling is already put as his primary race, there's no need to put it under subtypes!

Fax Celestis
2006-09-19, 03:19 AM
Would the infiltrator still retain its halfling subtype? It would make sense, as I doubt it loses the Dex bonus and skill bonuses from being a halfling, so I'll change it.

Edit: Wait! Halfling is already put as his primary race, there's no need to put it under subtypes!
No, he'd be "Small Elemental (Air, Augmented Halfling)". The "augmented" is key here.

UnrealTiger
2006-09-19, 07:34 AM
Looking at this makes me think that you need to take a good long look at his item list and iron out some of the flaws to be found in there. F'r'instance, his primary weapons (dagger and composite shortbow) haven't even been put on there in the first place, it's a bit hard to attack with items you don't seem to even have, hmm?

And the arrows man, you did remember to factor into monetary accounts that arrows with enhancements (Slaying, Wounding, Brilliant Energy) have to have a +1 enhancement before you slap those on right?

Some of the items on the list seem to be a bit superflous too, if you're using Bracer's of Armor then that Mithral (Chain) Shirt only has to be a +1. Also the three extra weapons is a bit much, surely he'd only need to have one extra at the most?

Oh yeah you also seem to have forgotten to add in bonuses for being small, +1 AC/Attack, -4 to Grapple and the like. Might want to fix that up eh?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-19, 04:02 PM
FINALLY someone reviews this! I've no idea how to make a high level character all at once. and Fax, why the 'augmented' subtype? It says nowhere in the prestige class description to change the type to augmented. Also, I've no idea what amount of gold character would have by this point on average, as I'm trying to make the impression that Garet has very powerful resources with whcich to supply himslef.

I'll fix the arrows, remove the shortspear (rapier is backup, quarterstaff is blunt as well as a walking stick for when he doesn't want people to know he can fly), change the subtype and add halfling racial bonuses. Now about the Bracers of armor; doesn't the bracer's AC bonus stack with the armor's? The description from the SRD never state that they don't, though the last says 'just as though he were wearing armor. Either way, it seems to me that if you had a tangible force field sorrounding you, as well as armor, a weapon would have to get through them both, that seems stackable to me.

UnrealTiger
2006-09-19, 09:46 PM
The average wealth of a sixtienth level character is 260,000 gp. Now since you wanted him to have extra on account of his 'benefactor' the Elven Wizardess just give him whatever you feel would be a good amount more on top of that.

About the Bracer's of Armor, from what I understand about them, though I could be wrong, is that they give an enhancement bonus to AC. This enhancement doesn't stack with other ones (such as the +2 on his chain shirt) though it does stack with the base armor. Which is wat you've got written down for his armor class anyway, silly me ;D

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-20, 04:21 PM
Heh. Actually, that was another mistake. Either that or my brain is so powerful that works on levels that even I don't know about! I can't wait to brag about this to everyone I know!

An extra ration of salted beef to anyone who can spot the reference. Arrr.

EDIT: Gave Garet's weapons epic enhancement bonuses to stress the "I have more money and materials than I'll ever know what to do with" thing that I'm going for.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 02:42 PM
Actually, bracers of armor grant an armor bonus, which does not stack with other armor bonuses (natural armor is different).

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-21, 04:00 PM
A bonus, though. Are you sure that it wouldn't stack? I'd like to see a reference for that, just to make sure; as that would change the build of some of the other residents if Ielinivia's castle, currently in progress.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 04:50 PM
Armor grants an armor bonus. Magical armor provides an enhancement bonus to the armor bonus, creating an enhanced armor bonus. Bracers of armor provide an armor bonus. Bonuses of the same name generally do not stack unless specified otherwise.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 10:48 PM
Added officially to the elemental war. Beware, for this is the first of many.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 11:44 PM
Any time a creatures' type changes, it gains the augmented type and it's old type becomes a subtype.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-29, 03:52 PM
So it would be 'small augmented elemental (humanoid, air)'?

Fax Celestis
2006-09-29, 03:54 PM
No, "Augmented" is a subtype. I suppose I phrased that badly.

It should be "Small Elemental (Air, Augmented Humanoid (Halfling))", though "Small Elemental (Air, Augmented Halfling)" should suffice.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-29, 06:25 PM
But...that's what I have already...

I'll just assume that was a nitpick and let it be. Any more actual advice on how to get this guy properly overequipped?