PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to Rich Burlew

Chaman
2009-02-06, 02:44 PM
Dear Rich,
Stop it, just stop it.

It is not funny anymore, the running gag of V's sex abiguity has gone to far.
I really never minded draging it all this time until now.
I remember the strip when belkar was cursing for himself complaining about that. That was funny.
I feel really sorry that because some joke that has curently missed its original sense (now you just make it to mess with people who cares heads rather than because its funny by itself) I cant enjoy at full grasp the story you are telling us.

I really enjoy this webcomic eventhough I believe it is no longer funny, there are just as many jokes about living in a D&D world and you have exhausted them all. The story, different thing. It has become something so deep and interesting I regret that I can't fully relate to how one of the characters is feeling just because some lame joke.

I hope you consider my humble opinion and decide what you believe its best (Im sure it will)
Thanks

Admirerer,
Chaman

Aristeidis
2009-02-06, 03:01 PM
I don't like it too, but it's his comic and he should be able to write and draw whatever he wants.
And considering the ban of some forum member I read about a little while ago, he doesn't pay attention to suggestions, or criticism in this way.
My opinion, leave him be...

crinkle
2009-02-06, 03:04 PM
Man, it must be so encouraging to an author to read things like this. Give them a nice spring in their step.

Myself, I liked it. Linguistic humor and all that.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-02-06, 03:06 PM
Can I hijack this for a second?

Dear Rich -

If it wasn't for you (actually Roy) I wouldn't have gotten my MBA.

Granted mine is in Business Administration, not Battle Administration.

Thank you!

Spiryt
2009-02-06, 03:07 PM
Ugh, I must say that I like this gag going and I found V's kids talking really enjoyable. And messing with the heads of those who care is nothing wrong :smallamused:

It's like a rightist nightmare, BTW.

Kaytara
2009-02-06, 03:08 PM
Dear Giant,

Please consider that there are also those of us who don't mind it and would be disappointed if such an amusing running gag were discarded simply because of the complaints of a few fans who can't just chill and roll with it even if it is not to their specific liking.

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-06, 03:10 PM
*shrugs* I find the Ambigouity jokes to be amusing in the fact that it IS being drawn out in such a manner, I think its called lampshading. Hes like pointing to us and going "ya ya I know you REALLY wanna know but nope, the more you want it the more you can't have it."

Delicious. :smallamused:

Lord Zentei
2009-02-06, 03:19 PM
Dear Rich,

Please don't give in to fan pressure to change something which you have decided is what's best for your comic.

Yours in fan-ness,

Lord Zentei. :smallamused:

Edhelras
2009-02-06, 03:26 PM
What a disspiriting post, OP.... :smallfrown:

Granted, some of the comics are more fun, others are less so. Some of the gags are hilarious, some are less so. But... do you really expect that each and every comic in this series of what.. 629 comics... are just perfect for you? Man, that's high expectations. So high that even a Gian must fall short for them.

I'm not especially fond of fanbois, I mean, those vitriolic fanbois who scorch each and every criticism. But you gotta keep in mind that the Giant is (as far as I've understood it - boy, maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's just the front guy of a whole load of anonymous writers....) a lone author doing his best to keep going a comic that started out almost amateurish (have you read the first forum entries, BTW? it seems more like a little club back then) and due to it's success has risen to the very heights.

I know my own creativity well enough to guess that even for the Giant, there is a point where too much criticism can start getting on your nerves, making you doubt yourself and your own humor. I'm not saying your post drove him past that point. But those posts.... they're really unnecessary. If they have any impact at all, it's only to make him feel this work being a tad less fun. And... when dit that help creativity?

Chaman... if you're happy - say it aloud. If you're offended, you've got a right to protest. If you're just a bit bored, or maybe just a bit "less-than-enthusiastic" - it's better for you and us and the Giant that you take a walk in the nature, or watch a movie, or playa game or something.

Your criticism, it just sounded so harsh! It made me feel bad for our poor little giant... :smallsmile:

MorhgorRB
2009-02-06, 03:40 PM
And... when dit that help creativity?

Only in a few cases. Most prominently Van Goh(...spelling, I know), who went nuts.

BRC
2009-02-06, 03:46 PM
V's gender is not an overused running gag. It could easily have become one, but the Giant is careful to use it only in an offhand manner, rather than as a punchline.

An overused running gag is that Garfield likes to eat. That is where the humor is coming from, so using it over and over is really old. V's gender on the other hand isn't like that. It's offhandedly stuck in there occasionally, but it's never shoved in our faces. Let's take the latest comic, the elven translations appear to be built just so we don't know V's gender. But with that comic, the Giant isn't saying "LAUGH BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW V'S GENDER". He is not basing the comic on that. Heck, that's not even a humorous strip, it's a dramatic strip.
The Strip could have done the same thing if we knew V's gender.

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-06, 03:50 PM
nononono Garfield's punchline is that there IS no garfield and that its all Jons imagination.

Scion_of_Darkness
2009-02-06, 04:07 PM
Another option is to allow the story to reveal V's gender to the audience. The other characters are not omnipresent and you can still have gags at their expense.

I admit that this idea is probably not the best solution.

Greg
2009-02-06, 05:04 PM
Dear Rich,
Stop it, just stop it.

I remember the strip when belkar was cursing for himself complaining about that. That was funny.
I feel really sorry that because some joke that has curently missed its original sense (now you just make it to mess with people who cares heads rather than because its funny by itself) I cant enjoy at full grasp the story you are telling us.

I really enjoy this webcomic eventhough I believe it is no longer funny, there are just as many jokes about living in a D&D world and you have exhausted them all. The story, different thing. It has become something so deep and interesting I regret that I can't fully relate to how one of the characters is feeling just because some lame joke.

I hope you consider my humble opinion and decide what you believe its best (Im sure it will)
Thanks

Admirerer,
Chaman
Dear Rich,

I wish to register a complaint about your webcomic, which you release onto the internet for free, with no adverts (except for your own work) and pay for these boards out of your own pocket.

I'm sure you'll listen to my post, because this method has proven fruitful in the past.

Admirerer [sic]
Greg

Seriously, stop reading if you don't like it.

Vemynal
2009-02-06, 05:20 PM
Dear Giant,

Please consider that there are also those of us who don't mind it and would be disappointed if such an amusing running gag were discarded simply because of the complaints of a few fans who can't just chill and roll with it even if it is not to their specific liking.

i agree...if you dont like it, dont read it. It's his comic and he can do as he wants.

Teatime
2009-02-06, 05:32 PM
I'm mostly concerned by the notion that the OP apparently thought V's gender was going to be revealed. And upon this faint, completely unfounded sliver of hope rested whether or not he valued the comic as a whole.

He already has. V's gender is ambiguous. Have a good day!

Zherog
2009-02-06, 05:38 PM
Dear Rich,

Do whatever the hell you want. It's been amazing up to this point, and I'm sure whatever you decide will continue to provide me great entertainment. That, and you won't listen to suggestions anyway. :smallwink:

Sincerely,

Z

Overlord Nicy
2009-02-06, 06:07 PM
Dear Rich,

After reading complaints and counters to those complaints, along with the recent mention of children eating, I now hunger.
Joke post. Enjoy.
Since you comic has become the origins of this, I request you provide me with suggestions on what to eat to fulfill this hunger, and continue with your plans on the comic.

Sincerely,

Nicy

Quorothorn
2009-02-06, 06:21 PM
Dear Rich,

After reading complaints and counters to those complaints, along with the recent mention of children eating, I now hunger.
Joke post. Enjoy.
Since you comic has become the origins of this, I request you provide me with suggestions on what to eat to fulfill this hunger, and continue with your plans on the comic.

Sincerely,

Nicy

I agree whole-heartedly with this post. I believe we all would benefit most greatly from some culinary advice from The Giant. Or possibly Belkar.

Khime
2009-02-06, 06:36 PM
It has become something so deep and interesting I regret that I can't fully relate to how one of the characters is feeling just because some lame joke.So, you would be able to fully relate to one of the characters if you knew they were male or female, but can't because you don't know? Would you relate better if it were a father about to lose his two children (and possibly his wife) than if it were a mother about to lose her two children (and possibly her husband)?

Would you feel more sorry for one than the other?

Kroy
2009-02-06, 06:47 PM
..along with the recent mention of children eating, I now hunger.

So Sig'd!:smalltongue:

Harr
2009-02-06, 06:47 PM
So, you would be able to fully relate to one of the characters if you knew they were male or female, but can't because you don't know? Would you relate better if it were a father about to lose his two children (and possibly his wife) than if it were a mother about to lose her two children (and possibly her husband)?

Would you feel more sorry for one than the other?

Don't turn it around. He is clearly saying that his mind would be free to focus on the gravity of the situation and the story if it weren't being cluttered up with a forced, repeated joke. Totally different thing than "Would you care more if he was a girl?!" or whatever. And I agree, the moment lost much of its weight because of the forced "look how I mess with you guys lol" teaser-joke.

xyzzy
2009-02-06, 06:59 PM
Dear Rich:

I don't actually have anything to say about Vaarsuvius' gender. It's funny, so keep doing it if you like. I just wanted to complain about the lack of dire aardvarks in the comic.

Sincerely,
Xyzzy

P.S. They go quite well with a nice olive oil.

Silverraptor
2009-02-06, 07:02 PM
Dear Rich,

I just want to say thank you.

My friends introduced me to this comic and from it I decided to start DnD with them. I've had fun at the sessions and decided to do things that they've never even considered.
i.e. An evil campaign

I don't know why, but I feel indebted to your comic strip. Just keep it up and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Thnx,
Silverraptor:smallamused:

wzeller
2009-02-06, 07:04 PM
I can't believe that some people are so rude as to post a complaint like this. Rich works pretty hard on this comic and creating an "open letter" is an attempt to incite his fan base to rise up en masse with complaint. How thoughtless!

And, as another poster pointed out, it's not an overused gag. It's a running gag. That's a huge difference. Garfield squishing spiders is overused. Each instance of it has nothing to do with previous instances. It's not funny after the 1000th repetition of the same exact joke. V's gender never uses the same joke twice - it riffs on the ambiguous nature of V's gender in a different way every time.

And this incarnation of it was the funniest ever. Rich has basically established with this comic that it isn't just V that is somewhat androgynous - it's apparently the entire elven race. So complete is the androgyny that they don't even have separate words for male and female parents. That's absolutely hilarious. If the idea of suddenly, in a single comic, robbing an entire race of all trace of gender isn't funny to you, then go find a stethoscope and check that you are still breathing. I don't care who y'are, that's funny right there!

And as for losing "focus on the gravity of the situation" - ummmm.... Last time I checked, this was a comic. As in, comedy. I read it because it makes me laugh. That the story can contain such gravitas and still make me laugh is due to the incredible talent and wit of it's author. This same strip without that gag would have been way over-the-top with seriousness and I would have thought it one of the worst in a long time. Instead, it was one of the best.

Keep up the good (nay, incredible) work, Rich!

w

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-06, 07:12 PM
Dear Rich,

Nice one on the awesome comic!

Love from GitP

Quorothorn
2009-02-06, 07:14 PM
Dear Rich:

I don't actually have anything to say about Vaarsuvius' gender. It's funny, so keep doing it if you like. I just wanted to complain about the lack of dire aardvarks in the comic.

Sincerely,
Xyzzy

P.S. They go quite well with a nice olive oil.

I'd like now to complain about topics that have too many complaints in them, as they quickly become tedious to the average viewer!

Starwaster
2009-02-06, 09:42 PM
Dear Rich,
The gender running gag hasn't been run far enough into the ground. Don't listen to the OP!

Ladorak
2009-02-06, 09:47 PM
Dear Rich

You rock, that is all:smallwink:

bluewind95
2009-02-06, 10:59 PM
Dear Rich

By all means, keep Vaarsuvius's gender ambiguous. Sure, it's not hilariously funny, but it's amusing and it's part of the character by now.

.... But please. Don't kill the children. Or Parent. :smallfrown:

-Blue

amanamana
2009-02-06, 11:01 PM
Dear Santa,

I want a pogo stick.

Amanamana.

Lissou
2009-02-06, 11:07 PM
Dear Rich,

Please don't give in to fan pressure to change something which you have decided is what's best for your comic.

Yours in fan-ness,

Lord Zentei. :smallamused:

^That. It's important you follow your vision, not your fans. Some people will be disappointed either way, myself included, obviously. Some people will be happy either way, myself included.
So, what matters is what you decide matters. Just letting you know there are people here who realise that.

Assassin89
2009-02-06, 11:45 PM
Dear Rich,
please disregard the complaints about the current events in comic, and shape the story in the way you wish.
Although it might upset some viewers, pandering to base is not always a good idea.
This comic has given me interest in playing D&D, and I enjoy viewing the interactions between characters.

One fan in the playground

Assassin 89

WarriorTribble
2009-02-07, 12:03 AM
Dear certain fans,

Rich Berlew is not some weak willed webcomic newbie who easily bends to the will of fans. Telling him to just do what he always does is repetitive, and frankly a bit insulting.

Also, why are some so defensive when someone is critical about the comic? The fact that this comic is free doesn't change personal tastes. I doubt Rich Berlew cares about the critics, he has a fanbase that pays him enough. Why are some getting offended for him?

Ronjun
2009-02-07, 12:28 AM
Dear certain fans,

Rich Berlew is not some weak willed webcomic newbie who easily bends to the will of fans. Telling him to just do what he always does is repetitive, and frankly a bit insulting.

Also, why are some so defensive when someone is critical about the comic? The fact that this comic is free doesn't change personal tastes. I doubt Rich Berlew cares about the critics, he has a fanbase that pays him enough. Why are some getting offended for him?

Oof, thank you. That was the very best way to sum it up.

Zeitgeist
2009-02-07, 12:56 AM
While a complaint about a free webcomic is bad taste by nature, it's even worsened by the fact that you want to get rid of something that most readers enjoy.

Very rude.

Forum Explorer
2009-02-07, 01:32 AM
I would be disappointed if he revealed V's identidy in a cut-away sceane. It should be something epic. :smalltongue:

Sholos
2009-02-07, 03:16 AM
i agree...if you dont like it, dont read it. It's his comic and he can do as he wants.

You know, that's the same argument you hear about comics like Ctrl-Alt-Del. There's nothing inherently wrong with criticizing what you perceive to be a flaw in a piece of work you enjoy and would like to continue enjoying.

magic9mushroom
2009-02-07, 03:17 AM
I have to say, I don't mind the unresolved nature of V's gender, but I found the workaround in 629 rather tasteless and unamusing, myself.

Still, it's not like my opinion is going to change anything, it's not like I'm going to stop reading the comic, and it's not like Rich is anything other than an awesome comic writer.

I agree that excessive criticism is annoying, but I also find the mob mentality against anyone who says they didn't like something in the comic rather stupid.

EDIT: Looks like I got ninjaed by Sholos, oh well.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-02-07, 03:20 AM
(now you just make it to mess with people who cares heads rather than because its funny by itself)Which is what makes it so damn funny. Reactions like this one.

Qov
2009-02-07, 03:23 AM
He is clearly saying that his mind would be free to focus on the gravity of the situation and the story if it weren't being cluttered up with a forced, repeated joke.
And I almost posted in the thread for the comic in order to show my appreciation for the way Rich made some smiles available there inside a terribly dark and nasty comic.

One man's (or maybe woman's) meat is another's poison.

tomaO2
2009-02-07, 03:25 AM
Dear Rich,

please bring snacks when you go to your next con for your loyal fans. We further suggest that said snacks shall be delicious sugar cookies with intricately designed, colored icing tops which "draw" the various OOTS characters.

You can then make a new slogan while the fans gather around to sample them. Something like,

"Order of the Stick. Good Readin. Good eaten."

:smallsmile:

metallica48423
2009-02-07, 03:59 AM
Respectfully disagree.

Rich will do what he wants.

Here's a lesson on people when it comes to artists -- including musicians. People collectively tend to cry until they get what they want. Once they get what they want and the artist bends to their tastes, quite often, the "sellout" label flies without so much as a little comprehension as to what it means.

In the end, no matter what is done, not everyone is going to be happy, and rightfully so. I've seen fans tear communities apart at the seams over things like this, and i'd rather not see the community here go that route.

Truth be told, does it really matter to one's life that they know Vaarsuvius' gender? I don't think so. So why not just wait and see where the story goes?

Me? Well, i'm here to enjoy the community and the excellent comic strips posted here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth, spend it, or throw it out.

Jolly Steve
2009-02-07, 04:18 AM
The story could reveal V's gender to the characters, but not the reader.

Then the running joke could become how relived the characters are to finally sort that out.

Venatius
2009-02-07, 04:25 AM
OOTS 9, Roy refers to Vaarsuvius as "V-Man". Gender discrepancy issue resolved. Happy now?

All that aside, I do think forcing it into the strip really did diminish its gravity, but not enough that it kept it from having a significant emotional impact on me. The intense tragedy of what was riding on V's moment of failure really resonated with me. I don't expect either of these assertions to even go noticed by anyone they should mean anything to. I just felt the need to needlessly throw a few more twigs on the bonfire.

MorhgorRB
2009-02-07, 05:55 AM
Dear Rich...

This letter isn't actually really about you, but it seemed a proper beginning and I shall keep it in the prose of being generally directed at your (wonderful) person.

I do believe that this should be kept alive with various "Dear Rich"s, from complaints to happier comments, and the occasional whimper for small, delectable, elfen children (or Kobolds in general) not to be consumed.

I would also like to request that Belkar recieves an Oracle hat before dying.

~Morh

Kaytara
2009-02-07, 06:51 AM
You know, that's the same argument you hear about comics like Ctrl-Alt-Del. There's nothing inherently wrong with criticizing what you perceive to be a flaw in a piece of work you enjoy and would like to continue enjoying.

The problem here is that the OP didn't criticize the comic. It just moped that "It's not funny anymore". Criticizing takes into account that your opinion is subjective and other people may see it very differently. The OP didn't do that.

A better way to phrase it would've been a discussion in which the OPoster politely stated his reasons for thinking the undefined gender gag to be overused and asked the others to discuss.

mago
2009-02-07, 06:53 AM
Dear rich
your comic rocks. please contenue how you wish
however, allow me to come with a suggestion:
More gazeebos, please
Also, boobies

WarriorTribble
2009-02-07, 08:18 AM
The problem here is that the OP didn't criticize the comic. It just moped that "It's not funny anymore". Criticizing takes into account that your opinion is subjective and other people may see it very differently. The OP didn't do that.

A better way to phrase it would've been a discussion in which the OPoster politely stated his reasons for thinking the undefined gender gag to be overused and asked the others to discuss.There's nothing that needs to be taken into account. When writing an opinion piece, it should be obvious to all involved that anything said about the work of art is going to be subjective.

How much more polite could the OP have been, or should've been for that matter? He stated his views in a blunt manner true, but no matter how he sugar coated things his opinions would've remained the same. I see nothing wrong with simply stating ones assessment of a work of art as long as no forum rules are broken.

Entar
2009-02-07, 08:37 AM
If you bow to the north, you show your butt to those in the south. Can't please everyone.

RedMike512
2009-02-07, 09:56 AM
Most of you need to take a chill pill. There's nothing wrong with the OP asking for something. It's just a request, and people make them all the time about all kinds of different things.

But in the end, we're all fanboys, or we wouldn't be here on the forums. But you don't need to get all fanboy defensive, and slam the OP like he was some kind of monster. You make it sound like he was personally defaming Rich or something, which he clearly was not.

Kaytara
2009-02-07, 11:04 AM
There's nothing that needs to be taken into account. When writing an opinion piece, it should be obvious to all involved that anything said about the work of art is going to be subjective.

How much more polite could the OP have been, or should've been for that matter? He stated his views in a blunt manner true, but no matter how he sugar coated things his opinions would've remained the same. I see nothing wrong with simply stating ones assessment of a work of art as long as no forum rules are broken.

I meant it more in the sense that the OP made it sound as if he were speaking for everyone. "It's not funny."
While I agree with you to a certain extent, nuance still counts. If 'softening' expressions like 'in my opinion' didn't have a purpose, we wouldn't use them.

Milandros
2009-02-07, 11:29 AM
It's not that the OP made a criticism or complaint that's annoying many people, it's the manner of it.

A statement "I feel that..." with a title "The ambiguous gender gag has run its course" would have gotten a much politer response, though probably as much disagreement.

However the OP stated this is an "open Letter", which is the approach usually used to make a serious and significant statement, with the deliberate attempt to recruit others to bring pressure on the target of the letter, normally issued when there is no other way to get results from the target.

This implies that this is not merely a comment or a piece of constructive criticism - it is a bold statement that the author is so seriously wrong in his approach thata mass campaign must be launched to force him to change his mind - and that is what has many people, including myself, less than happy with the tone of the original post. We don't want TOoTS to become some group-conscensus piece of fan-work, where we all debate exactly how the falling Roy will be saved. We like it when things take a sudden unexpected turn. In short, we like what the author is doing, and, all fandom aside, believe that he has a track record of delivering a great entertainment experience. We trust him to continue to do the same.

In the end, this is just a piece of entertainment. If you can't stand the fact that Tom Bombadil was cut from Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring, then don't re-watch it. If V's gender is really a make-or-break issue to the point of trying to rabble-rouse his readers to force him to change his comic or else they won't buy his books, an issue that the readers en masse seem to have the opposite opinion on, then possibly it's time for you to find another form of entertainment. Either V's gender really has some significant plot issue (which I doubt), in which case it will be resolved at the proper time, or it does not, in which case it will remain forever unresolved and occasionally referenced in a passing gag.

CaptainIreland
2009-02-07, 11:34 AM
Some of the stuff Rich does is cool. Some of the stuff Rich does is lame.

Some of you agree with me on what that stuff is. Some of you disagree.

No worries either way. No need to get all riled up.

If all elves are androgynous, I think this is cool (I can't recall ever knowing an elf's sex for sure in real comic). If it's just a way to drag out V's androgyny, I think it's lame.

The only thing that should change for sure is all of the overreactions of people saying, "This is his comic and he can do what he wants! If you find a complaint, stop reading!" That's the sign of a feeble mind, and frankly, quite meaningless. Of course he'll do what he wants, but that doesn't change a person's opinion of the work.

KIDS
2009-02-07, 11:38 AM
It's entirely up to the author how he manages his characters and I'm sure that the joke is still a joke to most readers. There is no reason to stop it, particularly when posted in this tone that, as pointed out, is reserved for serious letters like "J'accuse!"

That said, I feel that it's pointless to enslave the story to a joke like it has happened here. Observing V's family and children was supposed to be a moment of great dramatic tension and it didn't have to do anything with revealing genders; instead, it turned out lookomg really ridiculous and like an inappropriate attempt at humor, akin to someone reciting a Nazi joke at a funeral.

Of course I won't "stop reading" or have whatever silly reaction because of one thing I don't like and Rich shouldn't care about it... but there are tons of things that a family can discuss about its members that don't reveal genders.

Aquillion
2009-02-07, 12:10 PM
Deer Rich:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7164/deerrichcz6.jpg

Comet
2009-02-07, 12:39 PM
@^
Awww... I nominate that picture to be put in the dictionary to illustrate the word "best, the".

I hope everyone will now live forevermore in peace, respecting and loving one another. And rich deers.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-07, 02:19 PM
Dear Rich,

Did you know that nobody knows what Henry II exactly said to spur four knights to murder Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury? My favourite rendition is "What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who now treat their lord with such shameful contempt by a lowborn cleric?"

That said, I'm rivited by the story. Whenever something dramatic happens like what's going on right now, we find something awesome waiting round the corner. So, make sure you don't piss off the Angevin Empire, and keep it up!

xyzzy
2009-02-07, 07:20 PM
Dear Rich,

please bring snacks when you go to your next con for your loyal fans. We further suggest that said snacks shall be delicious sugar cookies with intricately designed, colored icing tops which "draw" the various OOTS characters.

You can then make a new slogan while the fans gather around to sample them. Something like,

"Order of the Stick. Good Readin. Good eaten."

:smallsmile:

And make your next con "xyzzy's housecon". If you're rushed you can just leave the cookies on the table and run.:smalltongue:

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-07, 07:24 PM
@OP. You should have just wrote this:

Dear Rich Burlew:
There's a 99% chance that you won't read this, and an 100% chance that you won't care, either.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-07, 07:29 PM
If you bow to the north, you show your butt to those in the south. Can't please everyone.

Maybe the people in the south LIKE butts, did you ever think about that?

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 07:44 PM
Eh, the whole gender ambiguity thing is pretty boring. The only people who still find it funny are people like "Spiryt" who actually think that someone else reading it is shocked or offended. It isn't innovative, it isn't compelling, it isn't curious or interesting, and now it isn't even novel.

From a narrative standpoint, I guess I can understand lightening a dramatic moment with comedic relief, but he should be careful with that joke; it's an antique.

Arminius
2009-02-07, 07:51 PM
Dear Mr. Burlew,

I just registered on these forums to say I don't mind the running joke, and in fact would prefer that it not be revealed, or at least not revealed till the very end of the comic. I do not feel it detracted from the impact of the last strip in the least way. Indeed, I found the last strip to be quite ominous and for lack of a better word, cliff-hangy. I look forward to the next update even more than I usually do. At any rate, just write the story you want to tell. If your past work is any indication, it will be good.

-Arminius

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 07:55 PM
Dear Mr. Burlew,

I just registered on these forums to say I don't mind the running joke, and in fact would prefer that it not be revealed, or at least not revealed till the very end of the comic. I do not feel it detracted from the impact of the last strip in the least way. Indeed, I found the last strip to be quite ominous and for lack of a better word, cliff-hangy. I look forward to the next update even more than I usually do. At any rate, just write the story you want to tell. If your past work is any indication, it will be good.

-Arminius

Are you joking? That would be possibly the lamest denouement ever. Unless gender carries some sort of Monumental Import in OOTSland.

Darth Vader being Luke's father? Great denouement.
Knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's parent, then learning that Vader happens to be his father rather than his mother? Terrible denouement.

AgentPaper
2009-02-07, 07:55 PM
The joke is old, but not over-used unless you've debated it countless times before. I found it worth a chuckle, myself, though I could understand why you wouldn't enjoy it after spending hours of your life typing up responses to people who've "solved the puzzle!". Yet another reason to not partake in those "discussions". :smallsigh: For those of us who haven't done so, though, understand that many of us haven't thought of the joke more than a dozen times over period of reading the comic, so it's still amusing. :smallbiggrin:

Arminius
2009-02-07, 07:59 PM
Are you joking? That would be possibly the lamest denouement ever. Unless gender carries some sort of Monumental Import in OOTSland.

Darth Vader being Luke's father? Great denouement.
Knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's parent, then learning that Vader happens to be his father rather than his mother? Terrible denouement.
Probably why I'm not a writer. That, and I have to use google to figure out the definitions of words like denouement.:smallwink:

Golden-Esque
2009-02-07, 08:21 PM
This running gag probably exists because people like the OP exist. This is the Giant's way of poking fun at all the people who over analyze the comic.

To any World of Warcraft players, a similar thing happened with one of the Community Team Leaders, the infamous Ghostcrawler.

Because a comment he left, the idea that Ghostcrawler was a female game designer circulated throughout the community, and eventually a big argument over Ghostcrawler's gender popped up. Personally, I was in the Female camp. The other designers added to this by leaving comments like "You left your purse in my office, GC." on such Gender-War threads. Ghostcrawler himself didn't reveal his gender until Blizzcon of last year. But man, was it an amusing trip.

I think the same thing is going to happen with V. We're just going to keep at the gender ambiguity until V's actual gender becomes relevant to the story. As the story takes place now, V's gender has no relevant impact on the story.

I am going to stay in the camp that V is male, but everyone else is entitled to their opinions. Call it intuition, call it bias, call it cherry cheesegoats. I don't care, and no one else should feel the need to flame Rich for playing off of the community's need to argue about something irrelevant.

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 08:24 PM
This running gag probably exists because people like the OP exist. This is the Giant's way of poking fun at all the people who over analyze the comic.

To any World of Warcraft players, a similar thing happened with one of the Community Team Leaders, the infamous Ghostcrawler.

Because a comment he left, the idea that Ghostcrawler was a female game designer circulated throughout the community, and eventually a big argument over Ghostcrawler's gender popped up. Personally, I was in the Female camp. The other designers added to this by leaving comments like "You left your purse in my office, GC." on such Gender-War threads. Ghostcrawler himself didn't reveal his gender until Blizzcon of last year. But man, was it an amusing trip.

I think the same thing is going to happen with V. We're just going to keep at the gender ambiguity until V's actual gender becomes relevant to the story. As the story takes place now, V's gender has no relevant impact on the story.

I am going to stay in the camp that V is male, but everyone else is entitled to their opinions. Call it intuition, call it bias, call it cherry cheesegoats. I don't care, and no one else should feel the need to flame Rich for playing off of the community's need to argue about something irrelevant.

The OP was complaining that the joke was old. I seriously doubt the Giant includes lines that he thinks are unfunny and boring.

Golden-Esque
2009-02-07, 08:29 PM
The OP was complaining that the joke was old. I seriously doubt the Giant includes lines that he thinks are unfunny and boring.

I don't recall saying anywhere in my post that I thought the lines were unfunny and boring. I chuckled that the kids, as well as the Other Parent, were fairly gender ambiguous. I still enjoy the joke when it pops up :smallcool:.

And besides that, they made V a picture out of glitter and macaroni. I was far too distracted by that cute statement to care about their genders.

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 08:40 PM
I don't recall saying anywhere in my post that I thought the lines were unfunny and boring. I chuckled that the kids, as well as the Other Parent, were fairly gender ambiguous. I still enjoy the joke when it pops up :smallcool:.

And besides that, they made V a picture out of glitter and macaroni. I was far too distracted by that cute statement to care about their genders.

I never said that you thought the lines were unfunny and boring. I said the OP said so.

In your post, you said "This running gag probably exists because people like the OP exist. This is the Giant's way of poking fun at all the people who over analyze the comic."

The OP isn't over-analyzing the comic. He's tired of a running gag.

Aris Katsaris
2009-02-07, 08:41 PM
Eh, the whole gender ambiguity thing is pretty boring.

Who said that it's meant to be exciting? Gender ambiguity is simply part of V's character, same as Elan's maleness or Haley's femaleness.

To me asking the Giant to "reveal" V's gender is pretty much the same as asking him to permanently change Elan's or Haley's genders. Elan is male. Haley is female. V is ambiguous. (I used to think of V as female, but I think I've nowadays fully switched to Ambiguous in my mind, and no longer think about anything else)

V's gender-ambiguity isn't a mystery to be solved. It's simply a permanent trait.

That being said, I would like the monster in the dark to be revealed eventually. I find that umbrella very annoying. And unlike V's gender, the MitD's revelation might further its development as a character.

The only people who still find it funny are people like "Spiryt" who actually think that someone else reading it is shocked or offended.

Well, the OP seemed pretty upset. So I'm certainly amused at him. But I mainly like the way the ambiguity is preserved. The translation was a clever way -- an elven language could certainly have different words for "you the parent" and "he/she the other parent", and not use "mom" and "dad" so much. That the Giant could make a character that looked even more gender ambiguous than V was brilliant as well.

And ofcourse preteen kids also look gender-ambiguous all the time even in the real world (if you don't style their hair/clothing according to cultural norms).

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 08:45 PM
Who said that it's meant to be exciting? Gender ambiguity is simply part of V's character, same as Elan's maleness or Haley's femaleness.

To me asking the Giant to "reveal" V's gender is pretty much the same as asking him to permanently change Elan's or Haley's genders. Elan is male. Haley is female. V is ambiguous. (I used to think of V as female, but I think I've nowadays fully switched to Ambiguous in my mind, and no longer think about anything else)

V's gender-ambiguity isn't a mystery to be solved. It's simply a permanent trait.

That being said, I would like the monster in the dark to be revealed eventually. I find that umbrella very annoying. And unlike V's gender, the MitD's revelation might further its development as a character.

Except we aren't bludgeoned about the head and shoulders with jokes based on Evan's maleness, or Haley's femaleness. I get that V's gender ambiguity is a part of his character, albeit an unnecessary, unimportant, and ultimately irrelevant one.

Well, the OP seemed pretty upset. So I'm certainly amused at him. But I mainly like the way the ambiguity is preserved. The translation was a clever way -- an elven language could certainly have different words for "you the parent" and "he/she the other parent", and not use "mom" and "dad" so much. That the Giant could make a character that looked even more gender ambiguous than V was brilliant as well.

And ofcourse preteen kids also look gender-ambiguous all the time even in the real world (if you don't style their hair/clothing according to cultural norms).

Doubtfully. What language lacks a familiar, informal address for each parent? "Dad" and "mom", "papa" and "momma", etc. Addressing one's parents as "parent" and "other parent" is incredibly unspecific. Which parent is the "other"? Linguistically, it's unlikely.

Niesra
2009-02-07, 09:46 PM
In regard to this post,

I'll try not to be repetitive, but I feel I should say my bit.

Personally, I love the running gag about V's gender ambiguity. True, it's a *fact* about V rather than a *joke* per say, many are bound to find it boring or simply not really care (though I think it's still funny.) Would I like to find out? Of course, who wouldn't? Do I want to, though? Of course NOT. When I began reading (a while back now) I wanted to know as much as I wanted MiTD to come out of the dark (which, by the way, would be as terrible an idea as giving V a gender.) As I read more, the more I liked that neither happened, and that neither are likely to happen ever, and guessing is part of the fun.

Finally, the whole point of this forum is to speak up your mind about the comic, right? So, why is there ANYTHING wrong with saying what you like and what you don't?

You can't laugh at every single punch panel of every single strip. I love the fact that the story is as interesting as the jokes are funny (granted, some more than others.) Anyway, I think this comic only gets better, and if there's something I don't like, there are a hundred more things that I do.

The Glyphstone
2009-02-07, 10:11 PM
Fear not the words of yon detractors, for in that direction lies the dark abyss of the CAD...

Seriously, one of the most annoying things on the internet I see is the whole "only comment if you like it" routine.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-07, 10:21 PM
Which parent is the "other"? Linguistically, it's unlikely.

The one that's not there, of course!

Talya
2009-02-07, 10:24 PM
I have a few minor complaints now and again, things I didn't like or didn't find funny, and occasional irritation at the frequency of updates (that one is a good thing, though, right? I mean, if I could make Rich post them, I'd take 100 new OOTS comics right now), and even then I rarely post them, because this place tends to have a strong negative reaction to any post that is perceived as negative about the comic, no matter how minor the criticism. But the OP? That's not a complaint I'd ever make.

Keep the androgynous wizard!

Deepkicker
2009-02-07, 11:00 PM
Dear Rich,
Stop it, just stop it.

Thanks

Admirerer,
Chaman

It's gone so far at this point it can't even be considered a running gag. It's just a part of the story- one of the main character's gender is ambiguous, simple fact. If not knowing V's gender is somehow detracting from your ability to understand the character, then perhaps you're getting too caught up in learning the answer to the 'gag' and not focusing on what's important.

WarriorTribble
2009-02-07, 11:01 PM
I meant it more in the sense that the OP made it sound as if he were speaking for everyone. "It's not funny."
While I agree with you to a certain extent, nuance still counts. If 'softening' expressions like 'in my opinion' didn't have a purpose, we wouldn't use them.If the OP stated "it's very funny" instead without an imo would you make the same assumption? Would it give those who hate the gag the right to complian that Chaman didn't use imo?

Imo does seem to make some people take criticism a bit better. I find it a bit silly, but eh.
It's not that the OP made a criticism or complaint that's annoying many people, it's the manner of it.

A statement "I feel that..." with a title "The ambiguous gender gag has run its course" would have gotten a much politer response, though probably as much disagreement.

However the OP stated this is an "open Letter", which is the approach usually used to make a serious and significant statement, with the deliberate attempt to recruit others to bring pressure on the target of the letter, normally issued when there is no other way to get results from the target.

This implies that this is not merely a comment or a piece of constructive criticism - it is a bold statement that the author is so seriously wrong in his approach thata mass campaign must be launched to force him to change his mind - and that is what has many people, including myself, less than happy with the tone of the original post. We don't want TOoTS to become some group-conscensus piece of fan-work, where we all debate exactly how the falling Roy will be saved. We like it when things take a sudden unexpected turn. In short, we like what the author is doing, and, all fandom aside, believe that he has a track record of delivering a great entertainment experience. We trust him to continue to do the same.People, don't overanalyze the post (Or is please give OP the benefit of the doubt preferable?). This is the internet where many social norms exist along with those that are ignorant of them, and those that don't care. Forget the subtle social cues, and just take the criticism as is. It's silly to take extra offense because someone misused a term, or didn't redundantly state it's all an opinion...

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 11:19 PM
It's gone so far at this point it can't even be considered a running gag. It's just a part of the story- one of the main character's gender is ambiguous, simple fact. If not knowing V's gender is somehow detracting from your ability to understand the character, then perhaps you're getting too caught up in learning the answer to the 'gag' and not focusing on what's important.

Except it isn't "just part of the story." It's a joke that gets repeated over and over and over and over again. It isn't that it "detracts" from understanding the character, it's that the joke isn't funny anymore, and it's a waste of panel that could otherwise have been dedicated to character or plot development.

It's like if a character is gay. And they keep making gay jokes about him. The problem isn't that the character's gay; it's the incessant stupid jokes about it. So by saying that "it's just a part of the story", you're missing the entire point.

Dagny
2009-02-08, 12:31 AM
I've never viewed V's gender-ambiguity as a "running gag," overused or otherwise (that is, since I learned that V's gender is ambiguous; I assumed she/he was a guy until I read the Wikipedia entry. -Us is a masculine suffix, after all. :smallsmile:).
The ambiguity is just a trait, and I don't think the true gender will ever be revealed because I don't believe there is one. Yes, V presumably does have a gender from his/her own perspective, but I'd be willing to bet that the author never actually decided on one, which means that demanding to know V's gender is like demanding to know what kind of music Macbeth liked.
If there were a "true gender" and it were ever revealed, I think it would be really anti-climactic. After all these years, for V to just say "I'm a guy" or "I'm a girl" just sounds really disappointing to me.
On the other hand, it could be funny for it to happen on the very last strip, if it were done well. Nevertheless, I stick to my stance that no "true gender" exists.

Quorothorn
2009-02-08, 12:45 AM
Maybe the people in the south LIKE butts, did you ever think about that?

...Must...not..quote...Weird Al...Unnh....:smallfurious:

...Okay, I'm better. Phew.

CliveStaples
2009-02-08, 12:46 AM
I've never viewed V's gender-ambiguity as a "running gag," overused or otherwise (that is, since I learned that V's gender is ambiguous; I assumed she/he was a guy until I read the Wikipedia entry. -Us is a masculine suffix, after all. :smallsmile:).
The ambiguity is just a trait, and I don't think the true gender will ever be revealed because I don't believe there is one. Yes, V presumably does have a gender from his/her own perspective, but I'd be willing to bet that the author never actually decided on one, which means that demanding to know V's gender is like demanding to know what kind of music Macbeth liked.
If there were a "true gender" and it were ever revealed, I think it would be really anti-climactic. After all these years, for V to just say "I'm a guy" or "I'm a girl" just sounds really disappointing to me.
On the other hand, it could be funny for it to happen on the very last strip, if it were done well. Nevertheless, I stick to my stance that no "true gender" exists.

I suppose I can understand the number of references to it as a way to keep new readers informed about it, but for people who have been following the strip for a long time, it gets old. It's a bit like having a "Previously, on Order of the Stick" thrust into the middle of the strip.

Optimystik
2009-02-08, 03:36 AM
The only problem I have with the OP is his rather curt, almost rude delivery. He has a valid point, in that the gender joke is starting to wear thin. I too would like a definitive answer to the question, if only so I can be sure if we have a major gay character or not. I'll still be in love with the comic itself, but having one of the PCs be gay would draw me that much more into the story - it's an issue that fantasy, with its love of scantily clad and gratuitously busty depictions of women, rarely addresses.

keybounce
2009-02-08, 05:43 AM
nononono Garfield's punchline is that there IS no garfield and that its all Jons imagination.

Have you seen the "fan version" of Garfield where Garfield is removed and it's just John talking?

It's amazing that it actually works, sometimes better than the "full" version.

evileeyore
2009-02-08, 05:45 AM
Dear Rich,

Please ignore everyone who has ever tried to tell you to do something. Including me, just now.

Loyal fan, Love and Kisses,

-- evileeyore

Kastanok
2009-02-08, 11:36 AM
Dear Rich,

I'm pretty content with the comic :) That is all.

Kast

Sholos
2009-02-08, 12:41 PM
Have you seen the "fan version" of Garfield where Garfield is removed and it's just John talking?

It's amazing that it actually works, sometimes better than the "full" version.

Pretty sure that's what he was referencing.

Aris Katsaris
2009-02-08, 06:53 PM
Except we aren't bludgeoned about the head and shoulders with jokes based on Evan's maleness, or Haley's femaleness.

Wardrobe malfuction, feminine hygiene products, fanservice of Haley bathing,
Elan nudity, the gender-bendered Roy, Haley&Celia discussing about Durokan being a man, all these were (atleast partially) gender-based jokes, and this is just off the top off my head. So the comic certainly uses the characters' gender as part of its humor. I don't think all of these jokes were successful, but tastes differ.

I don't feel we're "bludgeoned about the head and shoulders" with jokes based on V's gender ambiguity, anyway. How often has it even been referenced in the last 100 strips? Twice?

And since every reference to it is gonna be seen as a joke, you aren't leaving much leeway here for those of us who want his gender ambiguity retained.

In this case what did you suggest? Giant could either go out of his way not to have V's kids mention him/her at all, or he could make a joke about "Other Parent". I thought the latter solution very funny, combined with the translation shtick.

The OP's wish and suggestion is to have the Giant pick a gender for V -- not to stop making jokes about it, but to destroy the gender ambiguity altogether. Perhaps I'm wronging him, but to me he seemed to have a problem with the gender ambiguity itself, not just that with the quality of the jokes over it.

KageSama
2009-02-09, 12:22 AM
Somehow, after watching Coraline today . . . other parent (like Other Mother) takes on a somewhat different meaning . . . :smallamused:

SlightlyEvil
2009-02-09, 12:28 AM
Frankly, I like the running gag of V's gender (I initially thought that V was female, since one of the first strips I saw was the storm-of-double-entendres scene with the gemstones). Not only is it usually amusing, but I enjoy watching people throw insane theories at the wall. Rich has repeatedly said that D&D rules apply in his comic only when it's funny, but he gets to invoke RPG Rule #0: The DM is always right.

Axl_Rose
2009-02-09, 12:57 AM
.... But please. Don't kill the children. Or Parent.

Dear Rich,

please kill the children. Even if it is only to spite those who would pressure you to predictably spare the children.

Some of the best stories are tragic ones.

At the very least, a tragic realistic story is better than one that pulls a deux ex machina out of their ass. V should be czech-mated.

Underground
2009-02-09, 05:14 AM
Next time there is an "open letter", please talk about something, I dunno, RELEVANT.

V's gender, pfft. If you dont like the joke, just ignore it.

Snake-Aes
2009-02-09, 06:03 AM
I wonder why people want to change his story so much.
What's wrong with a vengeful dragon cruelly slaying her son's assassin's family? Everything.
And yes, I do believe the dragon should succeed, because it makes both a good story, and it's a reminder that "invulnerable" protagonists don't progress. If he or she or it doesn't face consequences for his/hers/its acts, then it kinda takes out the point of making them reason.

On V's gender's joke... How often is it actually pulled? I can't recall many attempts at it. It's mostly just the subtleties of having different NPCs address V in their own view of hir gender. If those truly disturb you, then I believe your problem is a little beyond the comic.
I recall the gag being directly addressed on... Origin of the PCs, Lizard-V, Lil' Elves...

Gez
2009-02-09, 06:04 AM
V should be czech-mated.

So, if V's mate is Czech, then can we say V's gender, being the complementary, is Slovak? :smallwink:

Chaman
2009-02-09, 09:18 PM
Dear people who didnt like my post:

if you don't like what I think please post in some other thread.

(do you see how inadecuate is telling me to stop reading the strip? or all the coments that try to stiffle my speech?)

To all the people who think that as long as I stick to the forum rules I should be free of saying what I think:

Thank you.

I only wanted to say what I think, not impose any criteria on Rich. I clearly stated that I supported whatever his decision was but wanted my opinion to be considered. this doesnt mean that I wanted him to do as I say, just listen to me, think about it and if he thinks its a good idea maybe use it, if not then forget about it and continue his amazing work.
Anyway thats all.
I hope the mods close it now or whatever.

Anyway. Thank you Rich. I luv your comic strip. (but still regret having to keep up with the ambiguity when more important things are going on.)
BTW OMG the kids are so cute!!! I hope they die dramatically

Yours. the OP

MorhgorRB
2009-02-09, 11:08 PM
~stuff~
Yours. the OP

Dear OP, if you want to have an opinion and state it loudly on the fourms, then we are all within our rights to pick at what you have to say. And you want the right to say things, without anyone else throwing thier opinion in?

You're on a forums. Get used to it.

And besides, V's Ambiguity doesn't disrupt the flow, it's just a tad nonsensical. Especially since those frames would have been filled with... what? More slides of the dragon flying?

Starwaster
2009-02-09, 11:30 PM
Dear OP, if you want to have an opinion and state it loudly on the fourms, then we are all within our rights to pick at what you have to say. And you want the right to say things, without anyone else throwing thier opinion in?

Abso-flippin-lutely! Freedom of Speech swings both ways. It's not stifling another's speech by saying you disagree with it.

:smallamused:

Paseo H
2009-02-09, 11:53 PM
Rich can ignore any post he wants. He does not need people to shout down the OP for, heaven forbid, 'rabble rousing.'

I bet, if it was something you approved of, you all would be for 'rabble rousing.'

And now we have one person getting in the OPs face, demanding that he is right to shout the OP down. You could have just ignored the post altogether if you didn't like it.

In closing, tvtropes.org is your God.

Deatheater
2009-02-10, 12:20 AM
Dear Rich,

Readers who are so hung up on the genitals/gender of a stick figure they cannot enjoy your story should start their own web comic.

Deatheater

Deatheater
2009-02-10, 12:23 AM
@Paseo H

You stole my avatar!!!!:smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin:

MorhgorRB
2009-02-10, 02:00 AM
And now we have one person getting in the OPs face, demanding that he is right to shout the OP down. You could have just ignored the post altogether if you didn't like it.

In closing, tvtropes.org is your God.

Not in the right to 'shout him down'. Everyone is in the right to be allowed to state thier own opinion, and if someone is going to open a thread and not want anyone to reply against him, and then complain about the lacking freedom of speach, I -am- going to rip them a new one.

Goodday to you. (And that is very, very true. Tvtropes -is- my god. Along with the Dice Gods, bless thier multisided minions.)

Boogastreehouse
2009-02-10, 02:22 AM
I wasn't going to say anything... but... I'm going to say something:

V's ambiguous gender is sometimes used as a running joke, where we're clearly meant to chuckle at an unlikely situation in which we are once again denied the opportunity to ascertain whether V is male or female. Examples include V getting dressed while the dragon's tail was in the way, and the forms of addressing one's parents in the Elven language.

Sometimes it's not really a joke, but merely the requirements of consistency. V's androgyny might be conspicuous simply because the character is androgynous. A character might refer to Roy as "he," and Haley as "she," but is unable to do so with Vaarsuvius, and stumble over the attempt. That's not really part of the running joke (although it could be) so much as it's just a characteristic of V's.

In that situation it's like saying to Durkon "hey, Dwarf, come here" or calling Belkar "shorty" (probably a dangerous mistake!). It's not really a joke so much as just a piece of dialogue, which may or may not happen to be amusing. Sometimes V delivers a lengthy soliloquy without anyone making a comment, simply because that's the way V talks. Sometimes V will run off at the mouth, and a character will make a joke about it.

The Extinguisher
2009-02-10, 03:01 AM
Dear Rich,

I'm going out of town for the weekend. Could you watch my plants while I'm out.

Thanks,
Axel

P.S. I've refueled your family van with enough gas for the trip
P.P.S. My key is under the doormat. If it's not, my window should be open. There's a ladder in the shed.
P.P.P.S. You do own a family van, right?

Snake-Aes
2009-02-10, 05:10 AM
Anyway. Thank you Rich. I luv your comic strip. (but still regret having to keep up with the ambiguity when more important things are going on.)
BTW OMG the kids are so cute!!! I hope they die dramatically

Yours. the OP

Help me on my thought here. How many times is the sex gag pulled?
And no, I don't think every npc seeing him randomly as male or female counts. It's one letter in a speech that wouldn't change anyway(it's also coincidentally the way I love the way his ambiguity is treated atm)

pasko77
2009-02-10, 05:20 AM
So, if V's mate is Czech, then can we say V's gender, being the complementary, is Slovak? :smallwink:

Lol.
I wanted to say this when i read "czech" mated :)

Darkmage
2009-02-10, 05:25 AM
Dear Rich,

Make this comic however you want, I love the suspense and this comic is one of the few things that cheer me up after a bad day or amuse me on a good day.

I'll like it regardless of how you make it.

-Darkmage

ABB
2009-02-10, 07:39 PM
First off, I'm pleasantly surprised that the post wasn't scrubbed and/or the OP banned. I can only assume that RB is somewhat thicker skinned re questions than the mods. (Based on what I've seen, the thickness of the mod's skins when it comes to dissent or criticism would have to be measured in fractions of an electron's diameter. Now when I get banne dfor saying that I can say "See?" :smallbiggrin:)

As to the issue, I wish people would drop it. I understand, now, the importance of a running joke and how it feels to decide to stick with one. I'm doing a comic called Ad Astra, and I've committed to a running joke: Basically I will never show the ad astra's jump engine. Never, never never never!

I will show the effects of people seeing it, as in when a trained engineer sees it he goes stark screaming insane, but when someone who isn't a qualified jump engineer sees it he just says "What? It looks like a jump engine to me.."

I intend that to be a running gag, and plan at least a couple refs to it in the first story.

I would not show the astra's jump engine no matter what because I've decided it's a running gag and I like it. Showing it would ruin the joke and I'll never do it.

As one comic artist to another I now understand and respect RBs decision and ask others to do so even if they aren't doing a webcomic.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-02-11, 02:02 PM
Dear Rich,
Stop it, just stop it.

Dear Rich,

You have promised to never reveal V's gender. If you change your mind for any reason at all, I will immediately stop buyi...oh. Never mind. Carry on.

Love,
BJBB

evileeyore
2009-02-11, 04:26 PM
[COLOR="Purple"]Dear people who didnt like my post:

if you don't like what I think please post in some other thread.

If that happened how could they make known to you their disagreements?

(do you see how inadecuate is telling me to stop reading the strip? or all the coments that try to stiffle my speech?)

You aren't being stifled. You simply aren't being agreed with.

To all the people who think that as long as I stick to the forum rules I should be free of saying what I think:

I think you should always be "free of saying" what you think. Now, why can't your detractors have the same freedom?

Forum Staff
2009-02-11, 04:29 PM
This thread is about 50% spam by volume, and the other half has degenerated into a discussion of free speech. Stick a fork in it, it's done.