PDA

View Full Version : The Gnashing of Teeth [PEACH]

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 08:17 PM
Astral Devourer
Size/Type: Gargantuan Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 24d8+144 (244 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 29 (-4 size, +3 Dex, +20 natural), touch 9, flatfooted 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +24/+49
Attack: Bite +33 melee (3d6+13)
Full Attack: 8 Bites +33 melee (3d6+13) and 4 Claws +31 melee (1d12+6)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft. (30 ft. with bites)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, devour planar fabric, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., DR 15/byeshk, immune to acid and cold, resistance to electricity 20 and fire 20, SR 30
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +19, Will +18
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 16, Con 22, Int 3, Wis 18, Cha 22
Skills: Climb +40, Intimidate +33, Jump +40, Listen +31
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Awesome Blow, Multiattack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Dimension Door), Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Blind-Fight
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 25-32 HD (Gargantuan), 33-50 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

The Far Realms, the mad plane at the border of reality, is not a static place by any definition of the word. It is almost constantly “shedding” small demiplanes, like skin might flake off of a man. Most demiplanes are no bigger than a man’s head, and few last more than a few seconds. But some manage to achieve a more or less stable existence. These pseudostable demiplanes draw the matter of the Far Realms into them, building up their substance. But the Far Planes are not made from mere inanimate dirt and stone–they are a living entity. And thus, these demiplanes take on a life of their own. But these demiplanes are not cared for by their “mother”–once they reach a certain critical mass, they are expelled into the Astral, like a parent might abandon an unwanted child. Bereft of their proper existence, these living demiplanes manifest a true physical form–that of an Astral Devourer. Silvery skinned, six legged beasts, their eight mouths, each mounted on the end of a long tentacle sprouting from its neck, are capable of chewing through the very fabric of the multiverse. Though barely sentient, they are to be feared, for within the belly of the beast lies the original form of the demiplane, a miniaturized version of the very Far Realms themselves.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, an Astral Devourer must hit a Large or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
An Astral Devourer can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Large or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. A swallowed creature is transported to the interior demiplane of the devourer. Only the plane shift spell or similar magic can be used to leave this demiplane, though if the devourer dies the demiplane ruptures and all creatures in it are ejected out. Each round a creature spends within the demiplane, it must make a DC 26 Will save or take 1d3 points of Wisdom damage. A creature reduced to 0 Wisdom dies and is absorbed into the demiplane. Only the true ressurection, wish, or miracle spell, or similar magic, can be used to revive it. The save is Charisma based.

Devour Planar Fabric (Su)
As a full-round action, an Astral Devourer may rip the fabric of the planes. This creates a sphere with a radius of ten feet in which the traits of another plane, chosen by the devourer, apply. This rip is fairly unstable, and closes in 3d10 rounds. This rip may not be used to travel between the planes.

In addition, by spending ten minutes in devouring the planar fabric, the devourer may open a gate, as the spell, caster level 20th. Normally, these gates may only be used for travel, but once a week the Astral Devourer may use it to summon a creature.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–confusion (DC 20), greater dispel magic, quickened dimension door; 1/day–ethereal jaunt, greater teleport, insanity (DC 23), plane shift. Caster level 20th. All saves are Charisma based.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-07-27, 08:31 PM
Gah! I wouldn't want to run into one of those in a dark alley! Just wondering, why are they evil? Sounds to me like they're just big things that like to eat lots of stuff, and are to stupid to have an alignment.

Also, what do you mean "spell resistance XX", and what's byeshk?

I like it overall, great work.

martyboy74
2006-07-27, 08:36 PM
Gah! I wouldn't want to run into one of those in a dark alley! Just wondering, why are they evil? Sounds to me like they're just big things that like to eat lots of stuff, and are to stupid to have an alignment.

I like it overall, great work.
Byeshk is a special metal in Eberron that bypasses the DR of Daelkyr.

The Demented One
2006-07-27, 08:52 PM
Their sentient, and that's all it takes to have a non-neutral alignment. They have a desire to eat everything--all life, all things, all the multiverse if they could.

Spell resistance XX means I forgot to go back in and add a number for the SR. Byeshk is, as PD said, essentially kryptonite for aberrations.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 09:39 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-29, 10:30 PM
You named the creature Astral Devourer, but called it Devourer of Worlds many times in his special ability, special qualities, and background descriptions.

asromta
2006-08-30, 02:54 PM

Randomman413
2006-09-04, 05:17 PM

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-05, 02:02 PM
Looks good to me. :)

MitP Vote: Yes.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-05, 06:35 PM
This things not approved yet? Let's remedy that, shall we?

MitP vote: Yes

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-05, 07:22 PM
The only problem that I see with it is that the Devour Planar Fabric ability is a little vague. Are there any limits on the strength of the creatures that it can summon?

The Demented One
2006-09-05, 07:57 PM
The only problem that I see with it is that the Devour Planar Fabric ability is a little vague. Are there any limits on the strength of the creatures that it can summon?
Yes. The summoning works a CL 20 gate spell, as noted.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-05, 08:39 PM
Yes. The summoning works a CL 20 gate spell, as noted.I'm retarted.

Tormsskull
2006-09-14, 09:02 PM
I'm not very knowledable of high-level creatures, but overall it looks good to me. I definitely wouldn't want to get caught within full-attack range of this guy.

MitP vote: Yes.

Delcan
2006-09-27, 11:45 PM
Campaign-specific details like the DR metal are a bit of a turnoff - if the reader isn't familiar with the campaign world or doesn't use it, the creature already has that going against it. (But then again, the Far Realms are already a factor, and those aren't exactly core themselves. :P )

Alignment, as always, is a little fuzzy whenever the Far Realms are drawn into the mix. The Uvuudaum has a usual alignment of neutral evil, so this thing being CE is perfect, all things considered.

A hunter of the Astral Plane, however, needs a much heftier Intelligence, or else EVERYTHING is going to be able to outrun it on its usual plane. (Unless, of course, it uses its Dimension Door ability almost constantly. Goodness knows I would if I could do that. :D )

zad101
2006-09-28, 12:00 AM
Please don't eat me. i already have a low wisdom score.

MitP Vote: yes