PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Villain VIII! (3.X) [Voting Closed, Villain Complete!]

Pages : 1 [2]

jcsw
2009-02-13, 06:23 AM
Justice, nothing like evil birds to tell adventurers how many laws they've broken so far.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-13, 07:24 AM
How about Spite?

gmatht
2009-02-13, 07:25 AM
Isn't there some official 3.x sourcebook that allows animals to take levels in some druid/ranger like class, control "human companions", and use them to manage/cull human populations so as to maintain biped biodiversity? If not, there should be. Revenge!

InsiderTrading
2009-02-13, 08:25 AM
I think I'll go with Malevolence on this one.

Ovaltine Patrol
2009-02-13, 09:25 AM
Arrogance as a motivation for a lawful evil bird conjures images of a preening, tyrannical peacock in my mind.

Juhn
2009-02-13, 10:13 AM
The Hellstar (which you guys keep going on about), already had self-loathing. Greater Good makes absolutely no sense, and this is hard enough on afro as it is.

I'll just keep voting Spite until it gets through.

Llama231
2009-02-13, 10:16 AM
Definitely logic.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 10:45 AM
For great JUSTICE!

Atelm
2009-02-13, 10:59 AM
Justice, a tyrannical sheriff-bird. :smallbiggrin:

Adumbration
2009-02-13, 11:02 AM
Malevolence it is for me.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 11:08 AM
I'll go with Logic for now, but I refuse to let Greater Good or Self-Loathing win and I'll switch to Malevolence if need be.

Although, Afro, if Logic makes you *facepalm* then I'll switch to something else.

puppyavenger
2009-02-13, 11:08 AM
Malevolence

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 11:10 AM
Oh, don't go by what I think. Those who deliberately selected a preposterous or contradictory motivation certainly didn't.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 11:14 AM
Oh, don't go by what I think. Those who deliberately selected a preposterous or contradictory motivation certainly didn't.

I think Logic would be interesting. I am not selecting this as a 'preposterous or contradictory motivation'. In examination of my choice, however, I realized that Logic is kind of in the middle between a logical choice (no pun intended) and a ridiculous choice. I explicitly DO NOT want to vote a ridiculous choice, and since you are the homebrewer here I leave that up to you to deem.

Please do so. In hindsight, I'm sorry for voting animal; I really am. I didn't think of the ramifications at the time.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 11:18 AM
I was referring to those who voted Greater Good for an evil, mundane bird. :smallfurious:

I could see logic working.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 11:22 AM
I was referring to those who voted Greater Good for an evil, mundane bird. :smallfurious:

I could see logic working.

Ok, cool. Honestly, I understand your zealotry for the democratic process here, :smalltongue:, but please understand that I'm trying to make things smooth for you. I know whatever you come up with will be good, and basically I don't want to vote for anything that makes you *facepalm*, as the villain will seem more strained. So please inform me if I do so. Or if I ask.

Suleman
2009-02-13, 11:39 AM
I'm voting Self-Loathing, simply because I can. I just want to see a bird that hates itself.

Juhn
2009-02-13, 11:49 AM
Not to attempt to sway the vote or anything, but I hope Malevolence doesn't go through. Not because it wouldn't fit, but because Undead will probably go through next time and if I get my Nightwalker then Malevolence would fit perfectly for a Huge undead villain from the Plane of Shadow. People around here have a tendency to deliberately not vote for the same thing twice, so it could end up wasted here on a mundane bird where it would not fit as well.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 12:18 PM
Greater Good could work in the same way it does for Redcloak, y'know.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 12:27 PM
Greater Good could work in the same way it does for Redcloak, y'know.

...it's an animal.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 12:44 PM
I have a plan for this villain, and I assure you it's not "take another villain template and rewire it to fit an animal."

It's not much of a plan, but it's a plan. :smallsigh:

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 12:49 PM
@Zarth - an intelligent animal. Imagine what happens when a champion of birds everywhere comes upon a chicken farm and decides that, in the name of the greater good of birds everywhere, humanoids must die.

So yeah.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 12:53 PM
Er... yeah.

Under no circumstances is that going to happen.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 12:57 PM
*Laughs maniacally*

My vote of justice still stands, though.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 01:12 PM
@Zarth - an intelligent animal. Imagine what happens when a champion of birds everywhere comes upon a chicken farm and decides that, in the name of the greater good of birds everywhere, humanoids must die.

So yeah.

Actually, lol. You win.

lesser_minion
2009-02-13, 01:15 PM
Not to attempt to sway the vote or anything, but I hope Malevolence doesn't go through. Not because it wouldn't fit, but because Undead will probably go through next time and if I get my Nightwalker then Malevolence would fit perfectly for a Huge undead villain from the Plane of Shadow. People around here have a tendency to deliberately not vote for the same thing twice, so it could end up wasted here on a mundane bird where it would not fit as well.

I think malevolence fits most villains though. I was actually planning on asking if Zeta Kai's Bio-mage and Lord Gareth's Harrowed classes could be made into options next round, and I don't think either of those fit malevolence that well (although I get the impression that envy will not get in as a motivation for either of them).

Although saying that, I was also considering asking if Fax's Cartomancer could get added to the list, and that could probably work with malevolence as a motivation.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 01:17 PM
Zarth: coming a bit close to the line there.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 01:27 PM
Zarth: coming a bit close to the line there.

Sorry: totally forgot.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-13, 01:48 PM
Gah! No, not malevolence! It's so... normal! And boring! Changing vote to Logic.

Zeful
2009-02-13, 02:03 PM
Self-loathing sounds fun.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 02:29 PM
Zarth: This is a formal "cut it out."

No cheerleading.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 03:26 PM
Zarth: This is a formal "cut it out."

No cheerleading.

Done, sorry. Are we really not allowed any kind of argument at all against votes?

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 03:46 PM
Fairly close to. You're allowed to offer arguments in favor, but as I said, "cheerleading" is pretty strongly against the rules.

I'm permitted death rays, of course. :smallamused:

Juhn
2009-02-13, 03:49 PM
I think malevolence fits most villains though. I was actually planning on asking if Zeta Kai's Bio-mage and Lord Gareth's Harrowed classes could be made into options next round, and I don't think either of those fit malevolence that well (although I get the impression that envy will not get in as a motivation for either of them).

Although saying that, I was also considering asking if Fax's Cartomancer could get added to the list, and that could probably work with malevolence as a motivation.

Again, I think Malevolence works for most villains. It's the tendency in this thread to go "We've already done that, let's try something else" (which is generally a good thing, as it provides more variety) that makes me want to save it for some type of Extraplanar Evil.

lesser_minion
2009-02-13, 03:54 PM
Again, I think Malevolence works for most villains. It's the tendency in this thread to go "We've already done that, let's try something else" (which is generally a good thing, as it provides more variety) that makes me want to save it for some type of Extraplanar Evil.

Which is why I'm voting Dark Malevolence now - I don't really want to see it next round because I'm hoping to see Afro stat up a Bio-mage or a Harrowed or a Cartomancer as a villain (depending on how their respective owners feel about it, though).

I don't really see a Harrowed or a Bio-mage being malevolent, because both classes have some pretty strong flavour which seems to make several of the other options much more logical.

Although an Unbound Monster from the harrowed thread would also make a pretty awesome villain. Would that be an outsider or a magical beast?

Juhn
2009-02-13, 04:03 PM
I'm still pushing for a Nightwalker. This is my second failed attempt; I'm hoping third time's the charm.

lesser_minion
2009-02-13, 04:07 PM
I'm still pushing for a Nightwalker. This is my second failed attempt; I'm hoping third time's the charm.

But there are still other motivations that are pretty appropriate for a Nightwalker - spite could be quite interesting, for example. I agree that a Nightwalker motivated by pure Malevolence would be awesome (with chips) though.

Juhn
2009-02-13, 04:20 PM
I've been pushing for Spite for several Vote-ups, now. As you said, Malevolence would produce more awesome for a Nightwalker, though, so I'd prefer that.

Alteran
2009-02-13, 04:42 PM
Logic

Words words words

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 04:57 PM
I'd be extremely pleased if Elemental or Monstrous Humanoid won the next round. It would make my day.

Just sayin'. :smallamused:

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 05:09 PM
I'd be extremely pleased if Elemental or Monstrous Humanoid won the next round. It would make my day.

Monstrous Humanoid yay!

arguskos
2009-02-13, 05:11 PM
Elemental you say? I can dig on some Elemental delicousness... :smallcool:

Llama231
2009-02-13, 05:18 PM
I will most likely vote elemental.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 05:30 PM
Not that I'd mind a repeat type, of course...

just sayin'. :smallamused:

watsyurname529
2009-02-13, 05:31 PM
I'll take Logic.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 07:20 PM
Over the line. You're telling specific people to switch so that you can overturn the current leader.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough: knock it off. Now. No more. :smallannoyed:

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 07:38 PM
Over the line. You're telling specific people to switch so that you can overturn the current leader.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough: knock it off. Now. No more. :smallannoyed:

I thought you said it would be OK to be pro-something. Whatever, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess I'm taking this too much like an election (with attached proselytizing) as opposed to a simple opinion poll. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 07:41 PM
I did say it was OK to be pro-something, but you're literally attepting conversions of specific demongraphics.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 07:43 PM
I did say it was OK to be pro-something, but you're literally attepting conversions of specific demongraphics.

Okey-dokey! I still don't exactly understand the line, but I'll keep far away from the whole thing so as to be safe.

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 07:50 PM
For you, on this vote, at the moment, that is where the line is.

Juhn
2009-02-13, 09:04 PM

Are you trying to make sure I don't get my Nightwalker again?

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 09:34 PM
I'm just sayin'. :smallamused:

Clearly, I have a plan. Maybe. :smallamused:

Juhn
2009-02-13, 09:34 PM
But.. but.. I've already not had it twice! D:

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 09:38 PM
Eight times, really.

I'm so going for nine. :smallsmile:

On the bright side, I also have a pure awesome planned for number ten.

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 09:57 PM
On the bright side, I also have a pure awesome planned for number ten.

P-p-pure *shakes* awesome?

:smalleek::smallfrown::smallamused::smallsmile: :smallbiggrin: !

Zeta Kai
2009-02-13, 10:03 PM
Malevolence.

Juhn
2009-02-13, 10:05 PM
So, if I don't get my Nightwalker for number nine, does that mean it could be the Pure Awesome #10?

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 10:45 PM
Certainly a possibility.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 11:02 PM
Which is why I'm voting Dark Malevolence now - I don't really want to see it next round because I'm hoping to see Afro stat up a Bio-mage or a Harrowed or a Cartomancer as a villain (depending on how their respective owners feel about it, though).

I don't really see a Harrowed or a Bio-mage being malevolent, because both classes have some pretty strong flavour which seems to make several of the other options much more logical.

Although an Unbound Monster from the harrowed thread would also make a pretty awesome villain. Would that be an outsider or a magical beast?

CR 40 Elemental [Extraplanar/Evil/Pick an Element]

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 11:08 PM
Or even Magical Beast...we haven't had one yet, and there are so many possibilities.

Granted, that has a major snag in it...

LordZarth
2009-02-13, 11:19 PM
Or even Magical Beast...we haven't had one yet, and there are so many possibilities.

Granted, that has a major snag in it...

...said snag is?

afroakuma
2009-02-13, 11:31 PM
The Tarrasque.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 11:34 PM
Gah! No, not malevolence! It's so... normal! And boring! Changing vote to Logic.

Funny, this was THE EXACT ARGUMENT MADE AGAINST ANIMAL.

arguskos
2009-02-13, 11:38 PM
Funny, this was THE EXACT ARGUMENT MADE AGAINST ANIMAL.
Do I detect some bitterness? :smallwink: Really though, I'm with you.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-13, 11:39 PM
Think 'repressed fury over not only the sheer folly that caused animal to be voted for, but the fail logic of those defending the type choice'

arguskos
2009-02-14, 12:00 AM
Think 'repressed fury over not only the sheer folly that caused animal to be voted for, but the fail logic of those defending the type choice'
That too, that too. *sigh*
Recall, I'm with you here.
The next vote will end better Gareth, since Animal is no longer a type (thank all the gods for that!).

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 12:02 AM
Two votes from now is going to end awesome.

The Tygre
2009-02-14, 12:27 AM

If it's any consultation, I deeply, DEEPLY regret this decision. I do not know what on Christ's beautiful earth I was thinking when I voted for, much less defended Animal, I deeply apologize to afrokauma for putting him through this Hell, I need to beaten and flayed, I want to wash the sin off of my tainted body but there isn't any water hot enough, and I owe everybody here, especially afrokauma, a good undead monster. However, I've never home-brewed before, so it'll probably suck. In either case, you're all allowed to mock me hideously. Please end me, and I'm sorry for ever walking in to this thread with my vile intents. I'm being perfectly serious. I really do feel bad about this. I understand if you don't believe me, but please take my word for it, I'm typing, so it's hard to get my tone across. :smallfrown: There, I put a sad smiley. That's the best I can do.

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 12:30 AM
Meh; no worries. It literally cannot happen again, and it'll be something of a test to pull this one off.

arguskos
2009-02-14, 02:20 AM
If it's any consultation, I deeply, DEEPLY regret this decision. I do not know what on Christ's beautiful earth I was thinking when I voted for, much less defended Animal, I deeply apologize to afrokauma for putting him through this Hell, I need to beaten and flayed, I want to wash the sin off of my tainted body but there isn't any water hot enough, and I owe everybody here, especially afrokauma, a good undead monster. However, I've never home-brewed before, so it'll probably suck. In either case, you're all allowed to mock me hideously. Please end me, and I'm sorry for ever walking in to this thread with my vile intents. I'm being perfectly serious. I really do feel bad about this. I understand if you don't believe me, but please take my word for it, I'm typing, so it's hard to get my tone across. :smallfrown: There, I put a sad smiley. That's the best I can do.
Well, it's cool man. Don't beat yourself up over it, it's all good. Besides, it was bound to happen eventually, and afro can handle it. He's pretty skilled after all. :smallwink:

/hugs for everyone! :smallbiggrin:

lesser_minion
2009-02-14, 05:40 AM

Really? I kind of assumed from its appearance in the picture, the Hellborn Savagery class feature and the feats that let you grow a tail or fangs would have meant it was most likely to get Outsider [Extraplanar, Evil, {some element}].

Unless they've changed the definitions again.

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 08:24 AM
D'ah. I completely forgot this part.

The winning motivation was Malevolence.

The published villain, the Omenwrath, will be posted later today.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-14, 09:12 AM
Really? I kind of assumed from its appearance in the picture, the Hellborn Savagery class feature and the feats that let you grow a tail or fangs would have meant it was most likely to get Outsider [Extraplanar, Evil, {some element}].

Unless they've changed the definitions again.

Keep in mind that Djinn and those freaky Earth-things are all Elementals. The Monsters Within are formed of raw power given limited form, remember? That's just about the definition of elemental.

Llama231
2009-02-14, 10:18 AM

No. This instead:

Elemental
Omnimental
Wizard
Lawful Good
Entertainment

Yay!

lesser_minion
2009-02-14, 11:15 AM
Keep in mind that Djinn and those freaky Earth-things are all Elementals. The Monsters Within are formed of raw power given limited form, remember? That's just about the definition of elemental.

Actually, djinn (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm) are Outsiders [air, extraplanar]

And so are Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm) (which are actually composed entirely of elemental matter)

No. This instead:

Elemental
Omnimental
Wizard
Lawful Good
Entertainment

Yay!

Erm... I hope not. Although Entertainment is a reasonable motivation.

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I can guarantee that will not happen. :smalltongue:

lesser_minion
2009-02-14, 11:21 AM
Do you mean the thing that Llama231 suggested? Or do you mean the idea of Harrowed and/or Bio-mage villains?

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 11:28 AM
The thing that Llama suggested.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-14, 12:48 PM

The Vampire Mage is a prestige class dedicated almost exclusively to evil Bio-Mages. It pretty much the Bio-Villain PrC.

lesser_minion
2009-02-14, 01:55 PM
Fully aware of his own rapidly diminishing spark of life essence, he tries to prolong his existence by stealing the lifespan of others, but in the process, he begins to consume essence at a much faster rate, becoming entirely dependent on the energy that he steals.

Pretty awesome concept - however, I get the impression that afro could do something scarily awesome with the Harrowed as well. Now I have to choose which one to ask for next round.

Dammit!!! Why do you people have to keep posting such awesome character classes?

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 03:12 PM
Alright, this villain is now under construction. Let the speculation abound.

Juhn
2009-02-14, 08:48 PM
Do we even have a name yet? :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 09:11 PM
D'ah. I completely forgot this part.

The winning motivation was Malevolence.

The published villain, the Omenwrath, will be posted later today.

Yep. Still in progress.

Evil turkey-birdy's gotta be fleshed out, you know.

Also, I'm at work. :smallannoyed:

puppyavenger
2009-02-14, 09:36 PM
Yep. Still in progress.

Evil turkey-birdy's gotta be fleshed out, you know.

Also, I'm at work. :smallannoyed:

I sympathize for your work hours.

afroakuma
2009-02-14, 10:12 PM
'till midnight. The fun never starts around here. :smallannoyed:

On the bright side, I'm about halfway into The Villainous Turn right now, for those who get what that means.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-14, 11:37 PM
I'm about halfway into The Villainous Turn right now, for those who get what that means.

Isn't that the one Bugs keeps missing? Near Albuquerque?
It must have some kind of miss chance....

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:00 AM
The Omenwrath
Colossal Animal
HD 32d8+192 (336 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); fly 90 ft. (average)
Init: +4
AC 20; touch 6; flat-footed 16 (+14 natural, +4 Dex, -8 size)
BAB +24; Grp +40
Attack Talon +31 melee (3d6+15 and disease, 19-20/x2)
Full Attack 2 talons +31 melee (3d6+15 and disease, 19-20/x2) and bite +29 melee (3d8+7, 19-20/x2)
Space 30 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Special Attacks Disease, curse, summon shadows, swallow whole
Special Qualities Low-light vision, omen
Saves Fort +27 Ref +22 Will +22
Abilities Str 40, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 8, Wis 19, Cha 12
Skills Hide -12*, Intimidate +27*, Listen +13*, Search +13*, Spot +18*
Feats Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Critical (talon), Improved Flyby Attack, Hover, Mobility, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, Wingover
Challenge Rating 13
Alignment Lawful evil

The Omenwrath is an immense territorial bird bearing a druidic curse.

The Omenwrath is one of the last khorbanes, fully 50 ft. in length from beak to tail feathers. Its coloration is stark black, with dull, downy feathers spilling like lace underneath its wings, reflecting little light. Its great eyes are a dull gold color, veined with puffy blood vessels and streaks of an ultramarine hue. Its great beak is chipped in places and bears the stains of blood and carrion, and its wicked curve suggests a terrible crushing strength. The ornithine body is supported by two long, solid, slate-grey legs, each ending in wicked talons. A long, wedge-shaped tail and broad, deep wings each display a slight sheen under the light, and a series of shaggy ruffs run underneath its throat. It is always adorned with a circlet of gold and jet.

Combat
The Omenwrath sees little point in engaging against foes directly. It will normally remain aloft, keeping its shadow over threats and letting its dark minions strike from hiding. If it feels pressed to join the fray, it will make vicious flyby attacks, swallowing those it bites and flinging or dropping those it grabs.

Disease (Ex) Sequential scarring influenza—injury or ingestion, Fortitude DC 25, incubation period 2d2 days, damage 1d6 Str, 1d6 Con and 1d4 Wis. Victims become infected anew 1d6 days later, with a final infection 1d8 days beyond that. Remove disease and similar effects cannot remove these secondary infections before they strike, but a heal spell or equivalent will do so. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a -6 racial penalty.

Curse (Su) Khorbanes are the bearers of an ancient druidic curse, whose weaker vectors include ravens and crows. Creatures other than animals or vermin within one mile of a khorbane suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks and saves. Druids, rangers and their animal companions are immune to this curse. The khorbane is not the originator of this curse effect, merely a vector via the parameters of the spell. As such, it cannot be nullified via preventative measures targeting the khorbane, such as antimagic fields.

Summon Shadows (Sp) Via the diadem of the dark, the Omenwrath may summon 2d4 shadows or 1 greater shadow five times per day as a standard action. The diadem requires 1d4 rounds to recharge between each activation of this ability. The summoned shadows remain for 24 hours, until brought into an area of bright light or until destroyed. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th-level spell.

Swallow Whole (Ex) The Omenwrath can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+15 points of crushing damage plus 2d6+6 points of acid damage per round from the Omenwrath's digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 25 points of damage to the Omenwrath's digestive tract (AC 17). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The Omenwrath's gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Omen (Su) The druidic curse borne by the khorbanes disrupts divinations. Any spell of the Divination school cast within 2 miles of a khorbane returns information about that khorbane instead of its original target. This information may be conveyed in a disturbing or distressing fashin; e.g. a clairvoyance spell might give a dark, flickering vision of an immense, fearsome winged beast. Contact other plane and commune are unaffected. The caster of such a divination effect is shaken for 1d6 hours (no save) and is affected by a nightmare the next time he or she sleeps (treat as though cast by the caster of the divination spell).

Skills The Omenwrath's sheer size and menacing aspect grant it a +16 circumstance bonus to Intimidate. Its height gives it a +4 racial bonus to Listen, Search and Spot. At night, the Omenwrath gets a +20 racial bonus to Hide checks, owing to the darkness and dullness of its underwing plumage.

The Omenwrath

The mighty khorbanes once soared the stormy skies, unchecked by predation, dark and free. Lords of the highest black peaks, these majestic birds inspired superstition, myth and art. During a great past conflict, they were common sights above the killing grounds; this led to them being heralded as omens of doom, fear and devastation.

A mad druid, angered by the destruction of the long war, summoned a great curse over the lands, making the great khorbanes the bearers of a maddening darkness that bespoke fell fortune. He convoked creatures from the Plane of Shadow to bring him ancient relics of the dark borders. Using the garb of the shadowy realm, he led the creatures of the darkness in the casting down of his curse, which cost him his own life.

Now known to be bringers of misfortune, and having caused the madnesses of several curious wizards, the khorbanes were hunted to near extinction; some out of fear, others out of greed for the power of the elder druid's curse. The few that remained were protected by the druid's descendants, though as the line weakened, so too did the numbers of the dark birds dwindle.

When the latest scion of the elder druid's line came into his powers, he was advised by his own father, now dying, of an old plan conceived by the family in years long past - that the reliquary diadem of their ancestor, known to confer great sagacity upon its bearers, be given to the greatest of the khorbanes, that it might with supernatural wisdom lead the preservation of its own kind.

This young druid searched the lands to find his ancestor's trove, and at last discovered the diadem of the dark. Seeking out the greatest of the remaining khorbanes, he found a colossal male atop a storm-wracked summit, nested in a nigh-inaccessible cavern.

The Villainous Turn

The eager druid spoke to the dour bird, explaining its intent, and was given leave to place the diadem atop its head. The bleary-eyed avian's mind rattled as its brain plumbed new depths of reasoning and memory. Locking eyes with the smiling youth, it probed its expanded memory and realized that he had the power to control its actions. One quick snap of its beak solved that problem most efficiently.

Rousing itself from its fetid nest, the massive khorbane began to assess its options. It recalled fields full of prey, stone nests where stinging nettles would fly, and a wooded grove where small creatures would tend to its needs. Its priorities suggested that the laziest course of action would be most profitable, and so it raised its massive wings and flew to the forest.

The remaining druids, unaware of their kinsman's fate, were only too happy to receive the visitor, speaking with it and explaining about the curse and the fear it inspired in mankind. As it learned, the bored creature also took note of the fact that these people, too, shared the power to chain its mind. One short frenzy of brutality later, only one of the druids remained, having fled the devastation.

Now the khorbane wanted to investigate the human lands, to see the truth of the druids' words. However, its instinctual fear caused it to shy from traveling alone. What a wonderful surprise, therefore, when shadowy man-figures stepped out of the darkness, bowing in submission to the almighty dark beast!

Surrounded by undead minions and possessed of a singular intellect, the great khorbane flew off to cause terror and misery throughout human lands.

Encounters

The Omenwrath has been so named by the surviving druid, who has passed on his tale of "a curse come to life." It appears throughout the lands of mortals, usually in more rural areas, where it preys upon livestock and appears to threaten communities.

From a high perch or simply hovering overhead, the Omenwrath's shadow protects its incorporeal minions as they skulk into homes. It idles away its spare time by circling ominously above small towns, causing misfortune and panic. The Omenwrath prefers to maintain a nest from which it menaces a rough circle of land, though it may add additional nests for extended trips away.

Dour and unpleasant, the Omenwrath enforces fear and misery on the world below, not for gain or to amuse itself, but purely because it can. It silently looms over town squares, awaiting a sacrifice to leave in peace. Sometimes it will signal that a human sacrifice is necessary; come nightfall, the darkness itself will come alive to murder the scapegoats.

Sometimes, even this is not enough. If the Omenwrath decides that its price has not been met, or if it is resisted, it will return to destroy with a singleminded menace, throwing cattle into roofs, sending shadows to cull the young and the infirm or simply singling out an important individual and eating him. The Omenwrath excels in producing a simple, basic terror, and its size and strength allow it to mutely menace communities of even a respectable size.

The Omenwrath does not speak, but can let out a deep baritone cry at a shocking volume. It can communicate via speak with animals, and takes on an arrogant, condescending tone, filled with barely-veiled threats. It bears a particular suspicion of this spell, however, and will probably attack any character that employs it after it sees no further value in the conversation.

Though it stages its attacks and tributary demands in local communities, the Omenwrath nests in high mountaintops. It prefers caves that are nearly inaccessible from the ground.

For the moment, although it brings about terror and evil without concern or even defined purpose, it does restrict itself to a certain schedule and a standard of what it considers "fairness." It prefers that mortals maintain a healthy fear of it, and usually accepts mass sacrifices of livestock in exchange for its speedy departure. Likely, however, the giant khorbane will remain until it has finished its meal, radiating the dreadful druidic curse that plagues the landbound.

Plot Hooks

•An immense black bird, an omen of woe, has loomed near the town for the past three days, and suddenly children are being born dead, the healthy are growing sick and the local soothsayer has been driven mad.

•A terrifying, monstrous bird landed in the center of town yesterday and ate the mayor.

•A rich wizard seeks a relic rumored to grant power over shadow. His intelligence has traced it to a mountain city plagued with misfortune of late, but divinations are revealing nothing but druids and some overlarge crow. He is certain that the spells are simply in error.

•A terrible plague has afflicted even the hardiest warriors of a frontier city, seeming to strike time and time again despite the efforts of healers. Auguries have proven futile, and the clergy are at their wits' end.

•A druidic circle has come in search of a beast that bears an unnatural curse.

•In a city in the shadow of a great mountain, men are dying in the alleys; the elderly can no longer care for themselves, and the dreams of the wise are haunted by a darkness on the mountain above. Though richer and stronger than ever before, the city is slowly weakening, faltering from within.

---

Diadem of the Dark
This gold band is set with faceted jet at even intervals, with a black opal at the front point. It provides a +6 enhancement bonus to Intelligence and Wisdom. It also confers on the wearer the ability to summon 2d4 shadows or 1 greater shadow five times per day as a standard action. The shadows melt away in bright light, but will otherwise remain until slain or until 24 hours have passed. They follow the basic mental commands of the wearer (kill, go, stop etc.) but are under no special obligation beyond those commands to help or hinder him. The wearer must be within 60 ft. of a shadow to command it, and may only command 4 shadows each round.

CL 20th; strong conjuration, strong necromancy.

Ring of the Flickering Dusk
This ebony ring sustains the complete Garb of the Shadow Master. Its bearer reunites to himself at all times all parts of the Garb that he has touched save those that he has willingly set aside. This power prevents parts of the Garb from being removed from the bearer without his consent. The Ring may have other powers, but as it is currently in the gullet of a khorbane, this is the only one currently known and active.

CL 20th; strong conjuration.

watsyurname529
2009-02-15, 12:05 AM
Wow. Once again, you have outdone yourself in creating an animal villian, and still having it be awesome.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-15, 12:19 AM
I like it. It's good a good, ancient feel to it - I could definitely imagine this bird appearing in, say, a Greek myth or some-such. I particularly like the Omen bit - it's a great way to make the bird a creature to be feared.

I assume that the Diadem is part of the Garb?

My only criticism is that I think that it's kind of pushing it to call it Lawful (though I can completely forgive that).

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:21 AM
Well, it follows patterns, and rules, and if people do what it tells them to it will leave them alone for a bit. If it were neutral or chaotic evil it would force them to bring out all the livestock, then kill them all anyway.

Juhn
2009-02-15, 02:26 AM
I have no idea what you were worried about Afro. I'm quite impressed by this while still judging by the usual standards I apply to your villains. Considering the constraints you had, this is pretty incredible.

So, it isn't possible to remove the Diadem, if I'm reading the Ring's power correctly. Is it possible to Sunder it, and therefore reduce the Omenwrath back to Animal-level Intelligence and Wisdom?

The Tygre
2009-02-15, 03:32 AM
Good sir, I am astounded by how simply good this is. If I ever question your abilities, you may promptly kick me in the ass.

lesser_minion
2009-02-15, 05:44 AM
Impressive. I quite like that one. You might be forgiven that pun on the VUAM thread.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 08:17 AM
So, it isn't possible to remove the Diadem, if I'm reading the Ring's power correctly. Is it possible to Sunder it, and therefore reduce the Omenwrath back to Animal-level Intelligence and Wisdom?

Sure, but it'll likely reconstitute itself, since the powers of the Garb are sustained within the Ring. Not to mention, good luck getting to the business end of a 30 foot tall man-eating crow and being able to strike the exact location of an exceedingly miniature diadem. You're probably better off trying to kill it.

vegetalss4
2009-02-15, 08:26 AM
wow, that is really imressive...
... and you said that we thought far to highly of your abilities:smallamused:

so it seems that even when it is you that does the doubting, one shouldn't doubt your POWER

Zeta Kai
2009-02-15, 09:43 AM
Well, I love this villain, Afro. You've done a spectacular job bringing it to life (& yes, the voters were cruel this round). And you're right: there are very few ways to raise an animal's INT without changing its type. You did what you could with what you had, & I don't blame you for banning Animal in future VUAV polls (watch out for Dragons, too; they're statistically-complex).

Lastly, I came across an image on the interwebs that I think illustrates your khorbanes nicely. Check it out. (http://api.ning.com/files/FCeHMncshcV1FrsyAjI1T3ZR2nI-8-3GN3*IyTge-ck_/raven.jpg)

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 09:44 AM
I was scouring the Google Images for a giant raven, and I'm frankly shocked that I couldn't find one. That looks pretty good, but your [IMG] seems broken.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-15, 09:51 AM
In terms of making an animal into a villain, it's interesting and well-done. In terms of overall villainy, not really one of the best ones out there - it menaces towns and generally acts like a large, avian mafia don with shadows involved. Still, in terms of what you had to work with, I like it, and I can see this making a good villain for a short or rp-lite campaign.

Pronounceable
2009-02-15, 10:44 AM
I knew it. It was bound to be good after all the drama if Murphy had any power over reality (which he does).

This is awesome. The fact that everyone was so sure it'd suck makes it more awesome. It's a credible villain even when its overall flavor sounds like it comes from a Disney movie makes it even more awesome. Ravens are automatically awesome as well. That makes a lot of awesome in total.The only trouble with it is there's no way to justify calling it the malevolent mallard. I liked that name...

Zeta Kai
2009-02-15, 11:15 AM
I was scouring the Google Images for a giant raven, and I'm frankly shocked that I couldn't find one. That looks pretty good, but your [IMG] seems broken.

It won't work as an IMG (I'm not sure why), so I made it a working link (http://api.ning.com/files/FCeHMncshcV1FrsyAjI1T3ZR2nI-8-3GN3*IyTge-ck_/raven.jpg).

Also, cnsvnc, how about Malevolent Magpie?

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 11:50 AM
...Holy crow, Batman. Pun intended.

This... is actually my favourite villain. Seriously. I don't mean to say to you 'Oh, animal was actually a good choice duh"; I now agree that it's a bad choice for a villain; but you handled this ridiculously well, Afroakuma. Good job; you've outdone yourself.

-------

I have a question, unrelated to the villain, not diminishing its majesty in any way, but I would like to understand better:

An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).

I took the parentheses (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal) as higher-order than the unless otherwise noted bit. I assumed that any animal having >2 INT was a magical beast or something. May I be enlightened?

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:11 PM
This... is actually my favourite villain. Seriously. I don't mean to say to you 'Oh, animal was actually a good choice duh"; I now agree that it's a bad choice for a villain; but you handled this ridiculously well, Afroakuma. Good job; you've outdone yourself.

Note to self: even I should not doubt my POWER.

I took the parentheses (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal) as higher-order than the unless otherwise noted bit.

It is. It's an absolute law.

I assumed that any animal having >2 INT was a magical beast or something. May I be enlightened?

Sure: it doesn't have >2 Int. It's wearing a magical item that gives a temporary bonus. Its native Intelligence score is still 2; the eight comes from the +6 enhancement bonus of the diadem of the dark. The increased Intelligence doesn't bestow increased hardiness or fighting prowess, nor does it bestow darkvision; ergo, it's not a qualifying factor to change the creature type. A spell like awaken is a permanent Intelligence-raising effect, and does change the creature type to Magical Beast, including all commensurate bonuses.

Juhn
2009-02-15, 12:27 PM
Note to self: even I should not doubt my POWER.

Because all that "I can't do it" totally wasn't part of a nefarious plan to lower our expectations after seeing how high they were last time, therefore ensuring that we're all amazed and singing your praises when the inevitable awesome is cranked out. No sir.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:51 PM
You seem to suspect me of a great deal of scheming, sir.
You're right, of course; I am plotting something awesome for next round and you're all playing right into my hands.
Do you really think I am that malevolently clever? Because I so am.

lesser_minion
2009-02-15, 01:08 PM
Did your malevolent cleverness actually get your knife back in the end? (see the VUAM #6 thread). Of course, as a DM, you don't need to stab stuff anyway.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 01:19 PM
Bud, I am this guy:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/8/8e/DarkKing2.gif

I don't worry about missing knives.

Disclaimer: I am not actually that guy, and do not transform into giant spiders or freaky molted octopus things.

lesser_minion
2009-02-15, 01:22 PM
Oh nice, you can still decapitate people. Oh... wait. Missed the white text there.

Juhn
2009-02-15, 01:58 PM
You seem to suspect me of a great deal of scheming, sir.
You're right, of course; I am plotting something awesome for next round and you're all playing right into my hands.
Do you really think I am that malevolently clever? Because I so am.

See? I'm on to you.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 02:12 PM
I am on to me too.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-15, 09:20 PM
Win for the villain, double win for the Mystic Quest reference. (That was my first RPG. Fond memories. :D )

For the record, I never doubted your power for a minute.

Llama231
2009-02-19, 08:14 PM
•A terrifying, monstrous bird landed in the center of town yesterday and ate the mayor.

This is by far one of the best plot hooks that I have ever seen. :smallbiggrin: