PDA

View Full Version : One New Feat

imp_fireball
2009-02-10, 02:12 AM
Lithe Build (Ex)
Prerequisites - DEX 13, Mobility, BAB +3

The character has all the benefits as if they were one size smaller, except for reduced carrying capacity, and movement penalties. The character can still use weapons and other equipment as if they were their size (a size medium character with this feat can still use medium weapons).

Icewalker
2009-02-10, 02:18 AM
Benefits? So that means that this feat provides +1 AC, +1 to hit, and +4 to hide checks?

Let's see. That's an improved version of the Dodge feat (+1 AC to one target), an improved version of the Weapon Focus feat (+1 to hit with one weapon) and an improved version of the Skill Focus feat (+3 on a skill check of your choice).

Bit overpowered. Nice concept, but the mechanics don't balance, even if you include the -4 on grapple checks.

imp_fireball
2009-02-10, 02:28 AM
Added more prerequisites if that helps.

Also, should it not stack with powerful build? Or is the STR requirement for powerful build usually enough?

Icewalker
2009-02-10, 02:54 AM
Prerequisites usually aren't very balancing for this sort of thing, because the feat is still available. I'm not sure if it would be possible to really work this out and keep it balanced in feat form.

DracoDei
2009-02-10, 08:51 AM
Well, you could always make it an Epic feat... those are generally a bit more powerful...

Darth Stabber
2009-02-10, 11:03 AM
It seems almost more like a racial ability. One that could be better simulated through a size category smaller creature with powerful build.

Ziegander
2009-02-10, 11:07 AM
Prerequisites usually aren't very balancing for this sort of thing, because the feat is still available. I'm not sure if it would be possible to really work this out and keep it balanced in feat form.

This is the exact philosophy which leads us to, "Fighters Can't Have Nice Things."

If feats don't get more powerful the more prerequisites they have, then feat chains don't get any more powerful as you pick them up, then Fighters are stuck with 11 versions of Dodge, Weapon Focus, Power Attack, and Improved Disarm.

Lappy9000
2009-02-10, 11:12 AM
It seems almost more like a racial ability. One that could be better simulated through a size category smaller creature with powerful build.Isn't it called Slight Build? I know I've seen it somewhere before. Basically the opposite or Powerful Build from half-giants in the SRD. [link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm)]

Draz74
2009-02-10, 12:27 PM
Yes, it is important to note that WotC already came up with (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) a Slight Build Racial Feature that does essentially this same thing. And just like Powerful Build, Slight Build would be difficult (but probably not impossible) to balance as a feat.

Incidentally, WotC's version of Slight Build doesn't grant a +1 AC or +1 attack. Just +4 Hide, +4 on specific Escape Artist checks, ability to go through narrow areas without "squeezing," and the ability to use smaller weapons without penalty. (Though, why would you want to? :smallconfused:)

Let's see. That's an improved version of the Dodge feat (+1 AC to one target), an improved version of the Weapon Focus feat (+1 to hit with one weapon) and an improved version of the Skill Focus feat (+3 on a skill check of your choice).

Bit overpowered. Nice concept, but the mechanics don't balance, even if you include the -4 on grapple checks.

Pssssshhhh. While your conclusion is correct -- the feat as-presented is a bit overpowered -- I don't agree with your methodology at all.

First, this is the homebrew forum. There is nothing wrong with homebrewing feats that are strictly better than underpowered feats like Dodge or Weapon Focus. Comparing homebrew feats with these doesn't really do a good job of analyzing the true impact on the game of a homebrew feat.

Second, prerequisites can indeed be used as a way to manipulate the power of a feat. Since all feats cost the same (bonus feats aside), prerequisites are the only way to make one feat more "expensive" than another. And the true power of a feat isn't its effect, it's its cost:effect ratio. Or are you going to claim that Weapon Supremacy shouldn't exist because it's better than Weapon Focus?

If you want proof of at least one of my two claims, if not both, check out the Midnight Dodge feat in Magic of Incarnum. It's strictly better than Dodge, except that it has Constitution 13 as a prerequisite. (And that's not even a very harsh prerequisite, especially as compared to Mobility and BAB +3. And it's not like Midnight Dodge has become The Latest Hot Thing on the CO Boards, either.)

imp_fireball
2009-02-11, 11:25 PM
Well, you could always make it an Epic feat... those are generally a bit more powerful...

Yah, but having a lithe build doesn't usually imply that you also wear golden armor that shines with the might of the hottest sun in the sky and that lesser demons kneel before you in both utter fear and awe at remembering how many spinal cords you removed in the past.

DracoDei
2009-02-12, 06:52 AM
I would sig that, but I don't have any room, so I guess I will just have to put it in my extended signature...