PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sci fi short story

Fri
2009-02-11, 11:30 AM
No, not "The Last Question."

A recent thread about alternate universe reminds me on this short story. It's about a world where someone found a way to travel to alternate universes, and it's repercussion on society. What I remember is this

The main character was contemplating his world.

Some time ago, a company found a way to travel to alternate universes. At first, all were dandy, they used it to take pictures and get new technology from various world and everything. But later, for some reason and another, the world turned into anarchy. Because they found out that basically they have infinite lives. On one place they might be a beggar, a killer in another, a king in another. Some people did crimes for the heck of it, because in another universe, they wouldn't. They found out that in other universe, the "Cuban missile crisis" is nothing more than a "close call"

At the end of the story, the main character fiddled with his gun, thinking about suicide. Then he shot his own head... But in another universe, he didn't.

Any help?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-02-11, 12:41 PM
No idea, but I do have similar ideas and that's why I try to ignore many worlds theory.

arguskos
2009-02-11, 12:50 PM
You are thinking of a short story by Larry Niven. I can't recall the name, but I know the tale. I believe it can be found in the collection Convergent Series, but I'm not positive.

However, it is either in Convergent Series or N-Space (both collections of short stories by Niven). Great tale, btw.

chiasaur11
2009-02-11, 01:19 PM
I think it's called all the myriad ways.

Read it off a link on TvTropes. I think there were like five last sentences. Didn't notice at first each one was for a different world.

arguskos
2009-02-11, 01:38 PM
That sounds right. Couldn't recall the title off the top of my head. All The Myriad Ways sounds just about right. I believe you can find that tale in Convergent Series, among some other places.

Fri
2009-02-11, 02:54 PM
Ah yes, it's "All The Myriad Ways"

It's not in Convergent Series though, 'cause I have that book and it's isn't there. He's really my favourite sci-fi writer, each single one of his short story is nothing less than awesome.

arguskos
2009-02-12, 05:15 PM
It may be in N-Space then. I know it's in one of them, since I have them both and I have that tale.

Really, I'm surprised there isn't more love for Niven's work. He's a great author, one of my favorites (though he's had his bad points, like the California Voodoo Project >_>). Ringworld still has one of my favorite characters from all fiction in it (Louis Wu, of course).

Yulian
2009-02-12, 11:01 PM
Tell me you didn't just love Teela Brown's fate.

She so had it coming.

But yes, I am a huge Niven fan. I'd kill someone...in front of their own mama...for a Known Space TV series. Maybe animated.

- Yulian

arguskos
2009-02-12, 11:03 PM
Tell me you didn't just love Teela Brown's fate.

She so had it coming.

But yes, I am a huge Niven fan. I'd kill someone...in front of their own mama...for a Known Space TV series. Maybe animated.

- Yulian
Damn, I did. I don't like Teela much as a character, but as a plot device? She's damned sweet.

Oh, and I'd totally be with you on that killing spree. Man-Kzin Wars on TV? AWESOME. I'd buy cable for it.