PDA

View Full Version : Archer PrC: The Yeoman

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-19, 09:48 AM
No flavour text. Nope. Hah!

Requirements:
Feats: Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow).
BaB: +8

{table]

Level
BaB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+1
+0
+2
+0
Longshot

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+0
Manyshot

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+1
Ballistic Shot, Defensive Shot

4th
+4
+1
+4
+1
Power Shot

5th
+5
+1
+4
+1
Raining Shot

[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: The Yeoman gains no proficiency in any weapon, armour or shield.
Longshot: A Yeoman's shots are much more accurate than an every day archer's. A Yeoman may shoot an extra range increment at no penalty for each Yeoman level he possesses.
Manyshot: At second level, a Yeoman gains Manyshot as a bonus feat.
Ballistic Shot: At third level, a Yeoman may make a ballistic shot in order to attack enemies in cover. He takes a -2 penalty to his attack roll, but he ignores any cover, including full cover. However, if he cannot see his opponent, he treats them as invisible.
A Yeoman can also use this ability to shoot out of full cover, but treats all targets as invisible.
Defensive Shot: Also at third level, a Yeoman no longer provokes an AoO for shooting in melee.
Power Shot: At fourth level, a Yeoman may choose to take a penalty to his attack roll in order to make his shots more damaging. This ability is treated as the Power Attack feat, except it can only be applied to a longbow.
If the Yeoman downs an opponent while using Power Shot, he may make an extra attack against another opponent, provided the second opponent is in a straight line behind the first, and within ten feet. This second attack does not use an arrow, as the Yeoman's arrow vursts through his first target and into his second.
Raining Shot: As a full round action, a fifth-level Yeoman may shoot a number of arrows equal to his base attack bonus in a special ballistic arc. He must hit an AC of ten when using this attack. If he succeeds, all creatures within a number of adjacent squares equal to half the number of arrows fired must make a Reflex save equal to 10 + the Yeoman's base attack bonus + the Yeoman's dexterity modifier. On a failed save, creatures take damage as if hit by two of the Yeoman's arrows.
Precision-based damage (such as a rogue's sneak attack) does not apply to Raining Shot attacks.

So... thoughts, anyone?

Edit: Yeah, applying precision damage to an attack that requires a reflex save to avoid doesn't make any sense.

Thrune
2006-09-19, 10:46 AM
I don't know why, but I'm allergic to anything less then an EPIC feat that allows you to shoot in melee. Also, the big problem is that you would always choose to use it over Fighter-and the prerequisites are something that any 8th level fighter-archer would have.
So, thumbs down.

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-19, 10:47 AM
I don't know why, but I'm allergic to anything less then an EPIC feat that allows you to shoot in melee. Also, the big problem is that you would always choose to use it over Fighter-and the prerequisites are something that any 8th level fighter-archer would have.
So, thumbs down.

Erm. Of course you'd choose it over fighter. Pure-class fighters suck. No one sticks with fighter.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-19, 12:54 PM
Raining Shot, being so imprecise as to require a Reflex save instead of an attack roll, shouldn't apply precision damage.

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-19, 01:13 PM
Raining Shot, being so imprecise as to require a Reflex save instead of an attack roll, shouldn't apply precision damage.

...Yeah, I can see why it wouldn't. Alright, I'll remove that part of the description...

Tormsskull
2006-09-19, 01:18 PM
no flavor text? Boooo.

Aside from that, I don't like the name. Yeomen doesn't sound very specialized.

Chances are good that by the time the character gets into this PrC, they are already going to have Manyshot anyway if they are trying to be an archer.

Ballistic shot & Defensive shot sound incredibly powerful to my core-only mind.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-19, 01:56 PM
This should be Epic, at least that 5th level ability. Look at Legendary Dreadnought. This class has the name of Yeoman, the yeomanry being the standard draft soldiers at one point in British history. However this classes capstone ability lets it do something that it would take an entire army to do. The Legendary Dreadnought is a one man army, this class is a one man archery regiment. If ones Epic the other should be as well.