PDA

View Full Version : Question on Magic Item creation - 3.5

keilyn
2009-02-19, 11:48 PM
Alright, I'm normally very good at this kind of thing, but for some reason, my mind fails me on this. I want to make an amulet that let's my character use summon monster I to summon a small fiendish monstrous scorpion, once per day.
So, base cost should be Spell lvl x CL x 750 so:
1 x 1 x 750. pretty simple. Now, 1 use /day - divide by (5 / charges per day).
So divide 750 by 5? What? 250 gp? I have to be doing something wrong here....
can anyone enlighten me?

thegurullamen
2009-02-20, 12:04 AM
Actually, your math is wrong. 750/5 is 150, not 250.

Second thing, you're not doing anything wrong assuming you want a monster scorpion for all of six seconds a day. as it stands, your item can only summon him for a round and that's all. Up the CL of the item if you want him to stick around for a longer period of time.

Limos
2009-02-20, 12:12 AM
Yeah, a magic item that uses Summon Monster I for a single round isn't that powerful. 150 sounds about right.

Jack_Simth
2009-02-20, 08:09 AM
Alright, I'm normally very good at this kind of thing, but for some reason, my mind fails me on this. I want to make an amulet that let's my character use summon monster I to summon a small fiendish monstrous scorpion, once per day.
So, base cost should be Spell lvl x CL x 750 so:
1 x 1 x 750. pretty simple. Now, 1 use /day - divide by (5 / charges per day).
So divide 750 by 5? What? 250 gp? I have to be doing something wrong here....
can anyone enlighten me?
Let's see....

First off, a Command-Word activation is a base 1800, not 750 (that's for wands). That also changes your final cost to 360 (1800/5) rather than your 150 or 250.

Second, command-word items inherit the activation time of the spell. So you've got a one-round "casting" time.

Third, at caster-level 1, a Summon spell lasts a single round.

Net effect: you're spending 360 (possibly 180 gp and 14.4 xp, if you're Crafting it yourself) to trade your round this turn for the scorpion's round next turn. Once per day.

As a DM, yeah, I'd let you make that item; it's very much not worth the time or expense.