PDA

View Full Version : Work Cited

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-20, 05:03 AM
I'm having a little trouble writing an entry for my work cited page, so I thought that I might ask the forum. The book is the Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien, and it needs to be in MLA format. Now, for this, what should I put for his name? Should it be "Tolkien, John.", "Tolkien, John R.", or "Tolkien, John R.R.". The title isn't and issue, but what about the Publisher's city and the date? I forget if I'm supposed to choose the closer one or not(choices are Boston and New York). Also, what date should I pick? The choices are 1954, 1965, 1966 or renewals at 1982 or 1993.

Generic Archer
2009-02-20, 06:35 AM
I don't know the formatting you are talking about, but generally I don't think it matters too much with the authors first name and initials but personally I'd go J.R.R or John R.R as thats the way it's written on the books

The date is always the most recent as that is the publishing date of the actual copy you have, and the place of publication is whichever one corresponds to that date

Although as i said i have no idea on this particular system

Om
2009-02-20, 06:58 AM
I'm more used to the Harvard style where it would be "Tolkien, J.R.R.,". With MLA I would probably use "Tolkien, John R.R.". As for publisher details, that would depend on the edition you're using

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-20, 07:19 AM
Okay, I think I got it now. Thanks for the confirmation.

Recaiden
2009-02-20, 08:17 AM
I use this one. You use the most recent date, and I would go with new York for the city if its available.

u-gotNOgame
2009-02-20, 03:19 PM
As stated you should use the most recent date. I was always taught that you use the city that is closer to your actual location so *looks at location*... you should go with New York.

-UGNG

Deathslayer7
2009-02-20, 03:25 PM
MLA format for books is similar to below.

author's last name, first name. Book title here italicized. Editor(s) name(s). Place of Publication: Company that published it, year published.

it should look something like that if i remember correctly.

as for authors name, any of those forms will probably be accepted. And use the most recent publication.