2006-08-25, 06:40 PM
Shadow Sprite
Tiny Fey
Hit Dice: 1/2 d6+2 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., fly 40 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural) touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d3-3/19-20) or light crossbow +5 ranged (1d4/x3)
Full Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d3-3/19-20) or light crossbow +5 ranged (1d4/x3)
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft. / 0 ft
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, low-light vision, spell resistance 17
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +16*, Intuit Direction +4, Jump +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +8*, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Weapon Finesse
Climate/Terrain: Underground
Organization: Gang (2-4), plague (5-15), or swarm (20-90)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: No coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 1-3 HD (Tiny)

Shadow Sprites are distant descendants of grigs who retreated underground. They still retain much of the appearance as normal grigs, but their skin and hair have gone white due to the lack of pigment needed underground. They have also given up their musical ability, as the echos of the underdark broadcast their position to predators. Shadow Sprites tend towards reclusiveness, avoiding confrontations if at all possible.

Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day-change self, darkness, invisibility (self only), silent image, and ventriloquism. 1/week-transmute rock to mud. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 9th-level sorcerer. The save DC's are charisma-based.

Skills: All sprites receive a +2 racial bonus to Search, Spot, and Listen checks. Shadow sprites receive a +8 racial bonus to Jump checks. *They also receive a +5 racial bonus to Move Silently and Hide checks underground.

Feats: Dodge and Weapon Finesse are bonus feats.

Shadow Sprites as Characters

A shadow sprite character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level.

Shadow Sprite characters possess the following racial traits:

* -6 str, +6 dex, +4 con, +2 wis, +2 cha
* Tiny size: +2 bonus to Armo Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hied checks, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium creatures.
* A shadow sprite's land speed is 20 ft. It also has a fly speed of 40 ft (poor)
* Skills: Shadow Sprites have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. They have a +8 racial bonus on jump checks. And they have a +5 racial bonus to Move Silently and Hide checks while underground.
* Racial Feats: A shadow sprite receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats
* +2 natural armor
* Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
* Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, low-light vision, spell resistance 17
* Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus languages: Terran, Sylvan
* Favored Class: Rogue
* Level Adjustment: +3

olelia
2006-08-25, 11:47 PM
Any possibility of this being able to be played as a character class like the actual sprite?

wippit
2006-08-26, 12:16 AM
Just realized i had 3.0 stats on this thing - made it a while ago. Converted to 3.5

Also put in character adjustment for those of you who want to try them as characters...

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 05:26 PM
As monsters, these guys are OK - it's weird to think of underground, darkness-dwelling Fey though. We normally think of Fey as being closely associated with lush, verdant nature. Of course there's nothing particularly unnatural about underground areas, so, why not?

They need some ability or something to make them stand out, though. Make up a unique ability, habit, or characteristic. Otherwise, they lack 'character'.

As playable characters, I doubt they work. The abilities require a high LA, but, the lack of hit points would be crippling to a PC. Can you imagine being an effective-level-4 PC, but with only 2 hit dice worth of hit points? The natural armor and size bonuses will help give them really high AC, but they're very vulnerable to taking damage from unavoidable, non-SR-able sources. I dunno. Maybe it would work OK if you were starting characters at higher level, and you took a good hit-die character class...

No MitP vote yet, because they're a bit uninspiring. Thanks!

-Lep

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 11:11 AM
I really like the concept to this creature (though you might think of giving them darkvision ;) ), especially as there are crickets that live underground.

As for underground fey being wierd, I wouldn't think so. I've made a number as there are entire ecologies underground that fey could easily make use of. Also, what about all those cellar and basement-dwelling fey you are always hearing about in stories?

The_Shaman
2006-09-15, 07:41 PM
Well, the Underdark book already has underground fey, and grigs of a sort seem right underground. I'd hope one day I'd see a low LA fey race to play as; in the meantime, this looks nice, with a few comments.

- why do they know common? Undercommon and sylvan might suit them better, since they'd probably be quite reclusive to learn the common language of the aboveground folk.

- where does the NA bonus come from?