2006-04-11, 12:22 AM
The possessed
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_68.jpg
Dorin Svaar, a Possessed

HD: d6

Requirements
Alignment: any evil
Feats: Malign spell focus, Evil Brand
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks, Speak language (abyssal or infernal)
Spellcasting: able to cast either arcane or divine spells of 3rd level or higher
Special: Must be possessed by a beneficial evil outsider

Skills: 2 + Int modifier
Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Move silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Swim (Str).

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Improved Attribute|+1 level of spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Duelmind|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Soul of Evil|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Fiendform|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Improved Fiendform|+1 level of spellcasting class
[/table]

Proficiencies: The possessed are proficient with whatever weapons, armors or shield the fiend that possesses them is proficient with, although wearing armor may interfere with somatic componants for arcane spells.

Spellcasting: At each level, the possessed gains spells known and spells per day as if he had gained another level in an existing spellcasting class. This does not grant other benefits, such as familiar benefits, wizards bonus feats or the ability to turn or rebuke undead.

Improved Attribute (Su): The fiend the dwells within it's host may improve an attribute to +6 instead of the usual +4. This improved to +8 at 5th level. This also applies to a penalty to an ability score, if the possessing fiend chooses to do so.

Duelmind (Ex): The host and it's possessing fiend begin to meld with eachother's mind. The host and the fiend are allowed access to whatever knowledge the other possesses, including feats, languages and skills based on Int, Wis and Cha.

Soul of Evil (Su): The host and it's fiend grow ever closer to being one, in so the host gains power from the fiend. Twice per day, it may enter a state that lasts for 10 + hosts cha modifier rounds. In this state, the host may use the fiends spell-like abilities as the fiend would, including summon tanar'ri or summon baatezu. This does not allow the host to use spell-like abilities of equivalent spell levels they would not be able to cast as if they were a wizard or cleric of that level. For example, Borik Redmoon is a 5th level wizard/6th level Possessed and possessed by a nalfeshnee, he is incapable of using Greater Teleport as a spell-like ability because it is equivalent of a 7th level spell.

Fiendform (Su): The fiend and it's host begin to attune to eachother's physical form. The fiend may spring forth, using the hosts body, as a standard action, the fiend, if he chooses, may transform his host body into the body that he normally has. He is treated as a normal fiend of his type. He does not gain access to the hosts special abilities or spells, but still can gain access to thier skills, feats, and languages. This is usable 3 times per day and lasts a number of rounds equal to 3 + fiends cha modifier.

Improved fiendform (Su): The bond between the host and the fiend becomes very strong. The host gains the outsider type with the native subtype, gains resistance to fire 5, electricity 5 and cold 5, darkvision out to 60 feet and natural claw attacks that deal 1d6 + str modifier damage per hit. Also, the fiend may use fiendform at a permenant duration and may switch between his and his hosts form at will as a standard action, also gaining the use of the hosts spells and special abilities.

Special: If the fiend decides to leave the hosts body, either through thier own will or if the fiend dies, the host loses all special abilities and weapon and armor proficiencies gained from his class. They retain BAB, saves and spellcasting, and hitdice, but nothing else, aswell as the inability to advance further in this class.

NOTE: I made this class knowing that it is by all means possible a character could be possessed by a very powerful fiend, but it's not at ALL the character's choice to be. So it is up to the DM to have a bit of brainpower about this if someone wants this class and possess them by something that is of equal CR or ECL or HD or whatever's most apporpriot. So if the character's rampaging about in the shape of a balor and he's less than 20 HD, it's the DM's fault.

LordOfNarf
2006-04-11, 12:48 AM
you should structure the class so that regardless of the spirit, the bonuses stay exactly the same, otherwise it is too easy to say "a balor posseses me, fear my CR 20 might!" also, the description of improve atribute is a little skechy, could you clarify that please?

Gyrfalcon
2006-04-11, 04:46 AM
Well, I suspect you need the DM to first allow a fiend to possess your character, which means that unless he's being insanely silly, he won't allow a Balor anywhere near this PrC.

Alright, I can't fully comment on the class, given that I can't find the feats you list in the SRD or off of Crystal Keep. (Out of the Book of Vile Darkness?)

My first suggestion is making this arcane spellcaster only, as it makes it hard to balance it both for the plate-wearing d8 clerics and the robed d4 mages and sorcerers. So, going from the mage/sorcerer aspect:

Benefits:
d8 HD as opposed to d4
4 + Int for skills as opposed to 2 + Int
Full spellcasting progression
3/4 BAB progression
+4/+6/+8 attribute bonus.
access to a possibly large host of skills, feats and languages
access to a possibly large host of spell-like abilities
The ability to take demon shape 3/day for 5-10 rounds at a time. This later becomes permanant, any duration, with full access to the 'regular' character's spellcasting abilities.
Outsider status
Several minor immunities and a decent natural attack

Downsides
If the DM insists on running the demon/devil as an NPC, that can be fairly significant. Otherwise, if he leaves full control to the player, there is no detriment.
possible -4/-6/-8 to another stat (if the DM or player chooses to, depending on who controls the demon)
The DM can stop rampaging powergaming by telling the player the fiend left his body. In that case though, he's wasted a few levels on the class, though he still gets a number of bonuses over his regular progression.
In the case of the wizard, you lose some bonus feats.

Overall, it seems to be pretty overpowered, though it does have some features in it that would allow a DM to pull the character up short if they start going nuts with the power.

Some suggestions to balance it:

HD to d4 or d6
Skills to 2 + Int
BAB progression reduced to 1/2 (wizard/sorcerer)
spellcasting progression at every other level
Remove the aspect of Improved fiendform that allows permenant duration, and the access to the host's special abilities and spellcasting.
limit feats gained from the demon to one or two, and have a 1/day per class level for accessing the fiend's skills

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-15, 05:09 PM
I modified it a little, I hope this is more balanced. And for those that don't know what I'm refering to with the improved attribute you've got to understand the rules of possession in the Book of Vile Darkness or the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

This also needs to be moved to Homebrew Design.
edit: thanks