PDA

View Full Version : Lights in the Sky

SoD
2009-02-23, 07:12 AM
So here I am, sitting at home, outside, at 2310, on my laptop. Under cover. Watching the biggest lightning storm I've ever seen. Where I am, our big ones feature lighting ever minute or two. This one has lightning ever second, and five times at big as normal!

I'm a simple Taswegian, and this is the sort of thing I'd expect to see in Thailand in their stormy season, it's amazing! Anyone else in a beautiful, yet somewhat melancholy (lightning, as impressive as it is, makes me comtemplative and melancholy) storm right now?

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-23, 07:16 AM
Sadly, lightning storms are rare over here, and they only tend to occur in summer if it rains after several really hot days. I know a lot of people don;t like thunder, but I've always found it comforting (I tend not to notice it at night either due to being a heavy sleeper).

Player_Zero
2009-02-23, 07:31 AM
All the lights in the sky are stars.

Ashen Lilies
2009-02-23, 07:34 AM
Well, I get this sort of storm a lot, being covered by the second part of SoD's post. A bolt every second may be a slight exaggeration though. I'd put it at a bolt every three seconds. :smalltongue:

Right now it's the dry season though, so there isn't any rain or storm. Just blistering heat. :smallannoyed:

Serpentine
2009-02-23, 07:38 AM
Cool.
Based on the title, I thought there must've been another Aurora Australis. Man that thing was cool...

Player_Zero
2009-02-23, 07:42 AM
Cool.
Based on the title, I thought there must've been another Aurora Australia. Man that thing was cool...

Torm take you and your geographic location!

Recaiden
2009-02-23, 08:07 AM
Lightning is pretty rare here, but there's usually a lot when we do get any. And sometimes we'll get lightning when it isn't raining. Very cool.

Anuan
2009-02-23, 08:23 AM
It stormed here earlier. Fair amount of lightning. Heaps of heavy rain.
One hydrophobic Anuan.
;_;

Athaniar
2009-02-23, 11:00 AM
While lightning often is beautiful, I'd rather prefer that it stays away, mostly due to the fact that I don't want my life or the life of my computer to end just yet.

Anuan
2009-02-25, 02:52 AM
'Tis a much lonelier place without the warm glow of a computer screen.

Flame of Anor
2009-02-25, 02:59 AM
We get lightning lots of times throughout the summer. And rain. And snow in the winter. And usually a sleetstorm or hailstorm or two sometime. And it gets up into the 90's and down into the negatives. And the occasional hurricane remnant. But not a lot of tornadoes!

This just to say I really love Chicago weather. No joke. Although it could rain just a bit more.

dish
2009-02-25, 09:06 AM
The last few days we've been having massive thunder storms with lightning and pounding rain here in Shanghai. It's very normal for this to happen in Shanghai in the summer, but not so much in February.

A colleague suggested it might be something to do with the way the authorities have been seeding rain clouds in the north of China in an attempt to alleviate drought, but DH says that is 'silly' and it couldn't possibly effect the weather down here. Opinions?

THAC0
2009-02-25, 11:51 AM
No storms here. Nothing in the sky. Not even aurora.

Why did I move to Alaska if there is not going to be any aurora??

Oh well.

Helanna
2009-02-25, 04:29 PM
Well I don't get to see them at all, I'm in the northern US. So I guess I have a chance, but it is . . . unlikely.

I still haven't forgiven my parents for the night a few years back when they could see some green lights, but didn't bother waking me up. :smallannoyed:

Flame of Anor
2009-02-25, 04:39 PM
I still haven't forgiven my parents for the night a few years back when they could see some green lights, but didn't bother waking me up. :smallannoyed:

Aww, that's terrible. :smallfrown:

Castel
2009-02-25, 04:44 PM
Its been almost 2 years since I last saw Lightning, partly because I was in Vancouver for a year and a bit (people there actually found it rare when lightning came, even if it rains all year round... the contrary to where I am right now, where its the norm to have lightning in summers), and since I came back home right after the raining season was over... so it'll probably be months until I see lightnings again. :smallannoyed:

Trog
2009-02-25, 05:47 PM
Nope. We had the crap weather here. This morning I was driving in rain and loud-slush-balls-hitting-your-windshield sleet. Bleh.

Plus we are now in my least favorite time of year when the snow is melting and leaving behind a coating of black grit and gravel and cigarette butts and dog poo and deer carcasses and whatnot.

In a month or two the weather should be better.